• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

endaround said:
The Escapist review is garbage. And not because of the score but just reading it it reads like a cut & paste job from a PR info sheet. There is nothing in the review to suggest the reviewer finished the game.

That hasnt stopped many here from reviewing the game based on screenshots, heresay, and a demo.

chris-013

APZonerunner said:
I did the whole thing on Hard on PC. As I was only playing it to check out the differences I did it on normal on 360 but switched to Hard for a few big battles to see how Hard felt on a console. Nightmare, I imagine, will be utterly fucked - my point is just that those complaining about it being dumbed down, put it on hard and it really isn't anymore.

What was your team setup ? Maybe easier on PC to select target and focus fire too...

Moofers

Kinspiracy said:
That hasnt stopped many here from reviewing the game based on screenshots, heresay, and a demo.

The difference being that the Escapist is meant to be a place for people to go to read an opinion from a guy who has played the game through. Nobody gives a shit about pre-release opinions on a forum. Apparently, nobody should give a shit about the Escapist either.

Acheteedo

APZonerunner said:
Just putting the finishing touches to my review, but here's the final paragraphs:

Stop lying, you didn't enjoy it, listen to the people who's seen videos AND have played a demo.

Moofers said:
The difference being that the Escapist is meant to be a place for people to go to read an opinion from a guy who has played the game through. Nobody gives a shit about pre-release opinions on a forum. Apparently, nobody should give a shit about the Escapist either.

His review reads like the words of a guy that played through all of DA2. His big mistake, however, was loving the experience apparently.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kinspiracy said:
His review reads like the words of a guy that played through all of DA2. His big mistake, however, was loving the experience apparently.

Yeah, no. Regardless of whether you want to like the game or not, if you think that "review" was anything but fluff, you're blind. Empty comparisons, hyperbolic statements that could be applied to literally any game and cliches that obscured any actual point. Anybody looking forward to the game could have written the same exact review two weeks ago. It's complete garbage.

Salaadin

Game runs about the same as the demo (dx11, 4x aa, and high res textures). Oddly enough, I dont see that many graphical improvements. I was never good at picking this sort of thing out though.

Saren is Bad said:
The loss of auto-attack is shit
Didn't we already establish that you can auto-attack int he final game? 'Cause if this back-and-forth reneging truly turns out to be correct, I am going to be very disappointed.

Either way, hope to score my Signature Edition today. I played through the demo (finally) and absolutely fell in love with Flemeth's new design. In spite of the faster-paced combat, I really am finding this to be a much more engaging experience than Origins.

JohngPR

I might be steering clear of this thread for a while. Seems like everyone is content with telling people that have actually played the game how wrong you are.

Maybe the game does suck, but I'll wait until I can make that distinction for myself.

kai3345

Banned
DJ Lushious said:
Didn't we already establish that you can auto-attack int he final game? 'Cause if this back-and-forth reneging truly turns out to be correct, I am going to be very disappointed.
BioWare confirmed that there is no auto attack on console, despite their numerous promises otherwise.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Chris Priestly said:
OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.
Adding this again, as some people had missed it

Trickster

DJ Lushious said:

Either way, hope to score my Signature Edition today. I played through the demo (finally) and absolutely fell in love with Flemeth's new design. In spite of the faster-paced combat, I really am finding this to be a much more engaging experience than Origins.

It was supposed to be in the game from the get go, but they managed to fuck it up, so it's not in the console versions right away, they're probably gonna implement it with a patch though.

JohngPR said:
I might be steering clear of this thread for a while. Seems like everyone is content with telling people that have actually played the game how wrong you are.

Maybe the game does suck, but I'll wait until I can make that distinction for myself.

What about the people that have played the game and says it's a piece of shit with copy pasted assests everywhere? a lot of people have also watched people stream the game, thereby gaining a good knowledge of how the game is.

glaurung

Speculator said:
Adding this again as some people missed it
Is this a freaking joke? What manner of quality assurance processes are there in the BioWare offices? Is it the legendary if it builds, ship it?

What a colossal faux pas by a relatively respectable development studio.

JoeBoy101

Played for about 2 hours this morning. Initial thoughts (playing on PC):

- Graphics look good on DX11, High settings, with the High Res textures patch. Runs pretty good at that level on my GTX 570 as well. Very High though is a goddamn mess. FPS drops below 30 regularly and the whole thing feels unoptimized. That said, I'm satisfied with the technical capability of the graphics. The art direction is questionable, but things do get better after Shit Mountain. Water looks like hell though.

- Beginning of the game is a mess. Not interested in anybody, have no backstory whatsoever other than 'family from Lothering', and within 5 mins, I got 5 people following me.

- Looks like it is opening up, but the game was extremely closed for those first 2 hours. Quick narrative cuts that span 6 months or more, started to make the game feel pointless.

- Possible Spoiler on the early narratives:
Plus so much opportunity was wasted. Why in the hell weren't we allowed to play out the year spent in servitude with the mercenaries or the smugglers? Seems like a natural progression to at least play some of that period where you 'make a name for yourself'. Same goes for the journey to the boats to leave for Ferelden. I know Flemeth helps, but wouldn't it have been a TAD more interesting if she got you out of the Wilds and you had to make it the rest of the way?
In short, the game is wasting opportunities to get naturally acquainted with your characters for cutscenes and a little bit of boring narration and exposition.

- Combat feels fine with the exception of the animations. Enemies exploding into blood showers is stupid. From a mechanics standpoint, combat seems fine so far, but the aesthetic needs some tweaking.

- Leveling system with abilities seems okay, and actually, I kind of like it so far. A good amount of different choices to make with your class. That said though, the class limitations are silly. Warriors unable to be dual wielding is simply stupid.

- Preorder gear and unlockables look, at first glance, to be VERY uber. Maybe it evens out later, but its some serious shit.

- The UI has been greatly improved with regards to information. You now have access to the numbers, attributes and skills are well explained and you can see the effects of changes before committing to them.

- Everything else done to the UI is a degradation compare to DAO. Its ugly, slow, clunky, and has no aesthetic whatsoever.

All in all, so far, the game feels very rushed. From the unoptimized DX11 features, to the high resolution texture PATCH, to the narrative cuts which scream to be played not told, to the freefall in appearance of the UI. I'm hoping that now the map is opened up for Kirkwall, the game will be getting better.

Acosta

Hard is not that hard if you understand the basic rules of RPGs post WoW. Build a safe group with a good tank, 2DPS and a healer focused character, make sure you have tons of potions, take control of a character is he is stuck among several enemies and run to the tank with him to lure enemies. Make sure you kite enemies with your mages/archers and pay attention to the positional attacks, as they are quite devastating but quite easy to avoid with movement -Dragon's breath, Ogre charges, act 1 boss explosion, etc...

Nightmare is hard, but nothing close of beating a beholder and several mind flayers in anything beyond normal in BGII. Those times are really gone.

chris-013

Acosta said:
Hard is not that hard if you understand the basic rules of RPGs post WoW. Build a safe group with a good tank, 2DPS and a healer focused character, make sure you have tons of potions, take control of a character is he is stuck among several enemies and run to the tank with him to lure enemies. Make sure you kite enemies with your mages/archers and pay attention to the positional attacks, as they are quite devastating but quite easy to avoid with movement -Dragon's breath, Ogre charges, act 1 boss explosion, etc...

Nightmare is hard, but nothing close of beating a beholder and several mind flayers in anything beyond normal in BGII. Those times are really gone.

PC or console version ? Because on console with the target system and the view, nightmare is near impossible.

X-Frame said:
What is "kiting"?

Kiting is when you do damage while running.
You run in circle with a big dragon while ranged allies damage him when he switch target you do the same.

FLEABttn

Banned
Seems Overstock.com shipped the Signature edition I ordered like last Thursday. Which is good but I probably won't have it for another 5 days. Not sure why they wait till release date to ship.

This signature edition bullshit is bullshit Bioware. It's clearly not rare. Nor does it guarantee pre-orders two months out.

FLEABttn said:
Seems Overstock.com shipped the Signature edition I ordered like last Thursday. Which is good but I probably won't have it for another 5 days. Not sure why they wait till release date to ship.

This signature edition bullshit is bullshit Bioware. It's clearly not rare. Nor does it guarantee pre-orders two months out.

In other words they shipped "The Signature edition"

FLEABttn

Banned
cleveridea said:
In other words they shipped "The Signature edition"

Sure but there's no point to the thing if I can get it without playing their pre-order game under the rules they established.

hiryu

Can we get a seperate OT for the PC version. I'm sick of reading consolites bitching about the graphics and no auto-attack.

X-Frame

hiryu said:
Can we get a seperate OT for the PC version. I'm sick of reading consolites bitching about the graphics and no auto-attack.
The graphics are better on the consoles in DA2 (at least on the PS3), so not sure why anyone would complain about that.

Aaron

I just read the Escapist review... is it meant to be satire? I have no problem with him loving the game, but the whole thing reads like a used car salesman telling you, "The only thing wrong with this automobile is it's just too awesome!" Your big complaint is they made a slight change to the crafting system? Really? I can think of harsher things to say about the greatest games of all time.

hiryu

On the plus side it looks like they added the unlockables for the PS3 version of Dead Space 2 to the PC version also. Ser Isaacs armor now shows up for me on the bioware site for the 360, PS3, and PC and a few weeks ago it was listed as PS3 only.

Mr_Zombie

hiryu said:
I think it's quite the opposite - it's PC people that bitch about graphics being downgraded in this game; DA2 is graphically and technically (framerate) superior to the console version of DA:O.

hiryu

Aaron said:
I just read the Escapist review... is it meant to be satire? I have no problem with him loving the game, but the whole thing reads like a used car salesman telling you, "The only thing wrong with this automobile is it's just too awesome!" Your big complaint is they made a slight change to the crafting system? Really? I can think of harsher things to say about the greatest games of all time.

Welcome to most reviews. Repeats of PR spiel from a typed up bullet-point list.

Top Bottom