• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Onagi

Banned
The way this game was handled doesn't worry me about ME3, but I am worried about SW:TOR now. Previously my attitude was that BioWare can do no wrong. Now I'm not so sure.

water_wendi said:
So its stupid being sold on something after watching it in action? Or is it just stupid to be turned off after observing something?

Stupid is pretending you know what it's like to play a game based on watching someone else play it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Onagi said:
The way this game was handled doesn't worry me about ME3, but I am worried about SW:TOR now. Previously my attitude was that BioWare can do no wrong. Now I'm not so sure.
The groups handling each franchise are radically different. I don't see why your impressions of one would color any of the others.

Trickster

Kinspiracy said:
Stupid is pretending you know what it's like to play a game based on watching someone else play it.

Observing a game being played is obviously not the same as actually playing it yourself. But you can still gain a lot of information about the game by doing it, especially when there's also a demo available for people to try out.

Mkliner said:
So nobody should buy any game ever basically

His point is that watching a video might give an impression, but impressions are open to interpretation and not representative of actually playing the game for yourself.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kinspiracy said:

Watching someone play the game is the best idea to know what it's like to play it before buying a game.

Acheteedo

TheExodu5 said:
Watching someone play the game is the best idea to know what it's like to play it before buying a game.

But what it doesn't do is put you in a position to call reviews dishonest because they liked a game they've played all the way through, while you didn't like the look of the game after watching a fraction of it.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Trick_GSF said:
So.... I had a playthrough of Origins done and ready to import into DA2. I did everything, all DLC, etc.

Today, my lovely PS3 slim (which I've had since October) died like a bitch, taking my saves with it. I'm swaping it friday, funnily enough the same day Dragon Age 2 comes out. But now I'm thinking I should go through Origins + DLC again before hand. fml.

Can anyone (without spoilers for Dragon Age 2) tell me the choices you can make at the beginning of Dragon Age 2? if you don't have a save. That way, If they are just the major ones, I might not bother going through DA1 again.

Sorry, everyone, I'm bumping this to the new page. I would search but I'm terrified of spoilers. If someone could let me know the beginning choices of Dragon Age 2, I would be forever grateful.

TheExodu5

Banned
Acheteedo said:
But what it doesn't do is put you in a position to call reviews dishonest because they liked a game they've played all the way through, while you didn't like the look of the game after watching a fraction of it.

what

Dear god you guys are insecure as shit.

endaround

Neo Member
Dance In My Blood said:
The groups handling each franchise are radically different. I don't see why your impressions of one would color any of the others.
The same people are handling it. The doctors are in charge of all EA RPGs at this point (hence the Bioware Mythic branding). Now EA PR is a juvenile group as ever existed (last example being the Dead Space 2 mom campaign) but Bioware and EA are basically the same now.

gogojira

Kinspiracy said:
I'm thinking playing it would give you the best idea.
Yeah, because we all have Gamefly and/or $60 to blow. Don't be an idiot; reviews, demos and legitimate gameplay videos are the best way for 95 percent of us to assess a game.

Footos22

Trick_GSF said:
So.... I had a playthrough of Origins done and ready to import into DA2. I did everything, all DLC, etc.

Today, my lovely PS3 slim (which I've had since October) died like a bitch, taking my saves with it. I'm swaping it friday, funnily enough the same day Dragon Age 2 comes out. But now I'm thinking I should go through Origins + DLC again before hand. fml.

Can anyone (without spoilers for Dragon Age 2) tell me the choices you can make at the beginning of Dragon Age 2? if you don't have a save. That way, If they are just the major ones, I might not bother going through DA1 again.

Starting out the game, players are tasked to select from three builds to carry over from the first game if they don’t have a save to upload. The three builds are as follows:[9]

"Hero of Ferelden" (Default): Ended Fifth Blight by killing Archdemon and survived. Placed Alistair on the throne.
"The Martyr": Young Dalish Elf who died to kill the Archdemon. She left the kingdom ruled by Alistair and Anora.
"No Compromise": Dwarven noble took command of Grey Wardens. Exiled Alistair, sent Loghain to his death against Archdemon, and left Anora as Ferelden’s ruler.
Dialogue Edit

Taken from the dragon age 2 wikia

Kind of sucks, if my saves went, none of them would be anywhere near what my outcome was

Acheteedo

TheExodu5 said:
what.
Dear god you guys are insecure as shit.

What are you talking about? People have done exactly what I just said, in this very thread. This is the level of stupidity that is being referred to. Are you even following?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
_tetsuo_ said:
Sounds about right. I have a GTX480 and it was in the 5-20 range most of the time.

Sounds like something is terribly wrong with Nvidia and this game, or your hardware is fucked. I have a Core 2 Quad 3.2ghz, Radeon 5870 1GB (objectively weaker than the GTX480--especially at DX11 performance), 4GB DDR2 800mhz RAM and I get 40-60fps with everything maxed out, high-res textures, all of the effects on, at 1920x1200 with 2x AA.

Trick_GSF

Banned
De4th Strike said:
Starting out the game, players are tasked to select from three builds to carry over from the first game if they don’t have a save to upload. The three builds are as follows:[9]

"Hero of Ferelden" (Default): Ended Fifth Blight by killing Archdemon and survived. Placed Alistair on the throne.
"The Martyr": Young Dalish Elf who died to kill the Archdemon. She left the kingdom ruled by Alistair and Anora.
"No Compromise": Dwarven noble took command of Grey Wardens. Exiled Alistair, sent Loghain to his death against Archdemon, and left Anora as Ferelden’s ruler.
Dialogue Edit

Taken from the dragon age 2 wikia

Kind of sucks, if my saves went, none of them would be anywhere near what my outcome was

Thank you! I think I'll just select the top option and play DA2 on friday.

Cheers again.

gogojira said:
Yeah, because we all have Gamefly and/or $60 to blow. Don't be an idiot; reviews, demos and legitimate gameplay videos are the best way for 95 percent of us to assess a game.

Watching someone play the game, watching trailers, early footage etc may be all you need to decide if a game is worth owning or not worth owning, but to use that info to accuse someone who did play the entire game of being wrong, or paid off, is idiotic.

JohngPR

Trickster said:
What about the people that have played the game and says it's a piece of shit with copy pasted assests everywhere? a lot of people have also watched people stream the game, thereby gaining a good knowledge of how the game is.

It's a 40+ hour game. I find it hard to believe that most people have seen everything the game has to offer yet. I'm not saying my opinion is any more valid, but perhaps it's jumping the gun to judge the game before it's even out. I'm going to at least wait until everyone has their hands on the game and are giving out their more detailed impressions before I commit to an opinion one way or another.

Mkliner

Mister_Bubbles said:
His point is that watching a video might give an impression, but impressions are open to interpretation and not representative of actually playing the game for yourself.

Kinspiracy said:
I'm thinking playing it would give you the best idea.

Like play the demo which everyone here has at this point?

Mkliner said:

Yep. Demo convinced me I wanted to try the full game. The demo didnt however convince me that reviewers who played the full game are right or wrong about it. And if the demo had convinced me that I didn't want it, I doubt I'd be hanging out in an OT thread bagging on it. At least I hope I wouldnt be doing that.

Acheteedo

water_wendi said:
You cant judge the game by the demo.

You hear this for a lot of games. I don't know why Bioware bothered with one for DAII, RPGs are particularly hard to represent well in a demo, let alone in one with a fixed difficulty.

Mkliner said:

In an ideal world where the demo is representative of the full game, sure. With RPGs, that's pretty difficult.

And judging by the buggy, locked-out Shit Mountain loadathon, it's pretty apparent that the state of that demo isn't really representative of the full game, seeing as the actual game is spent mostly in Kirkwall, there isn't loading every five seconds, you get to actually know characters (rather than, say, have them die after a few minutes to no-one's great interest), use the inventory etc, etc.

Edit:
It gives you a pretty good idea of what the combat is like though.

This is probably true, though the difficulty was locked at 'faceroll', so it's not representative of taxing combat.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Trickster said:
It gives you a pretty good idea of what the combat is like though.
Wrong. It gives you no idea. It would be as if you went to Costco and there was a cake display. A gigantic chocolate cake and there were samples being given out. What you get is just a tiny taste. If you like the sample, you are correct in your opinion because the cake will contain what you sampled. If, however, you did not like the cake sample, you cannot form a negative opinion because you did not eat the whole cake. What if the coconut which you did not get in your sample piece makes the entire thing come together? If you liked the sample and hated coconut, you could just scoop all the coconut off and your positive impression would still be right.

Acheteedo said:
You hear this for a lot of games. I don't know why Bioware bothered with one for DAII, RPGs are particularly hard to represent well in a demo, let alone in one with a fixed difficulty.

I think it's clear why they did it. People that bitched about the combat being boring in Origins aren't about to buy a 60 dollar sequel if they think its more of the same. And as Bioware has said numerous times, they want those gamers to buy it too in addition to people like many of us that enjoyed Origins despite the combat. They also claim the combat hasn't changed so drastically that fans of it in Origins won't be too upset. They're walking a fine line.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Okay, if bought through Impulse, right-click and select 'View First Run Info'; your Signature Edition code will be there.

dionysus

Yaldog
It is acceptable on this forum to draw conclusions (which are obviously opinions) from currently available information. It has been stated time and time again by the mods. We can argue all day about the proper conclusions to draw, but it is absurd to attack people for drawing their own conclusions because it is only valid to have an opinion after the full game has been played when no one at the time of discussion has that ability.

If I say the combat sucks after playing 1% of the game when that 1% of the game is all that is available, that is a legitimate thing to say.

JoeBoy101

Kinspiracy said:
I think it's clear why they did it. People that bitched about the combat being boring in Origins aren't about to buy a 60 dollar sequel if they think its more of the same. And as Bioware has said numerous times, they want those gamers to buy it too in addition to people like many of us that enjoyed Origins despite the combat. They also claim the combat hasn't changed so drastically that fans of it in Origins won't be too upset. They're walking a fine line.

That's actually true to a degree. Its ironic that of all my issues with the game, combat is a relatively minor one.

Trickster

water_wendi said:
Wrong. It gives you no idea. It would be as if you went to Costco and there was a cake display. A gigantic chocolate cake and there were samples being given out. What you get is just a tiny taste. If you like the sample, you are correct in your opinion because the cake will contain what you sampled. If, however, you did not like the cake sample, you cannot form a negative opinion because you did not eat the whole cake. What if the coconut which you did not get in your sample piece makes the entire thing come together? If you liked the sample and hated coconut, you could just scoop all the coconut off and your positive impression would still be right.

If the a demo gives me no idea of what a game is like, then there would never be any point to releasing a demo.

JohngPR

Mister_Bubbles said:
In an ideal world where the demo is representative of the full game, sure. With RPGs, that's pretty difficult.

And judging by the buggy, locked-out Shit Mountain loadathon, it's pretty apparent that the state of that demo isn't really representative of the full game, seeing as the actual game is spent mostly in Kirkwall, there isn't loading every five seconds, you get to actually know characters (rather than, say, have them die after a few minutes to no-one's great interest), use the inventory etc, etc.

Edit:

This is probably true, though the difficulty was locked at 'faceroll', so it's not representative of taxing combat.

Every one listen to Mister B!

Moofers

Looks like tales of the Signature Edition fetching high prices on eBay are exaggerated. Lots of BuyItNows set up around $115-125 and some dreamers up at $150-200. I figure if it goes for $125, you gotta subtract about 8-10 for ebay fees, another 2-3 for paypal fees, and another 5-8 for shipping. At the end of it you're making like, 20-30 bucks if you plan on buying the regular edition and the DLC. Not worth the trouble, IMO. Looks like I'm opening mine.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried the demo again. Still having issues with the controls.

I'm annoyed that you can't mouse look by holding the left mouse button. The right mouse button does everything. And yes the left mouse button is used as an RTS style box selection tool, where there is no conceivable reason to do so (since you can't selected multiple targets anyways). The controls in the first game were perfect (they mimicked WoW controls). I don't know why they had to go and change them just for the sake of it...

Furthermore, sometimes I'll try to cast AoE spells, and they just won't cast. I keep spamming right click, until it finally starts casting. I have no idea why it's so finicky.

I would have played some more, but the demo crashed after 5 minutes...again.

Footos22

Get my copy today thanks to my brother.

3 days early and 25% discount

Blitzed dragon age origins for the 3rd time along with all the dlc for the last 2 weeks. All trophies gotten and a perfect save for dragon age 2

Can't wait

Top Bottom