• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

causan

Anyone know how related the storyline in DA2 and DA:O are? I never got to finish DA:O on PC, I got up to the fade but lost my save, now I am planning on replaying it but I am interested in checking out DA2 on console.

endaround

Neo Member
chris-013 said:
Seriously ? He needs to review the game in hard. Why the fuck do you need tactical approach in normal ?
As said it was needed on normal on the PC. But more than that the game should be reviewed on the default difficulty setting as much as possible. My guess is like 85% of people only touch the difficulty setting to lower it when stuck. You should review the game for what most people will experience.

Canova

Banned
diffusionx said:
These sound like "gentleman's 8" scores. If this game was from some random no-name Eastern European company it would probably be getting 5's and 6's.

yup, bunch of mercy scores.

I can weather pre-order bonuses that are largely inconsequential, I'm ok with copy and pasted dungeons as a consequence of so quick a turnaround, but cliffhanger endings are by far the worst thing in videogame stories, and so when it's (apparently) in a heavily story-based game like this, it makes me rage out.

DaBuddaDa

Canova said:
yup, bunch of mercy scores.
A bunch of "your game is pretty messed up, but we'll give you a solid, neutral score as a thanks for all of the ads you bought on IGN/Gamespot/Kotaku/Gametrailers/etc."

Zeliard

Haunted said:
The scores are laughable, some of these reviews read like 4 or 5 at best, then I scroll down and am greeted with an 8.5.

Ridiculous.

Game reviewers are generally notorious for not using the entire scale.

Then Edge will come along using the full scale and give DA2 a 5 or 6, and people will be upset.

TheExodu5

Banned
The problem is not only the difficulty though (I can't really judge that by how little I've played of the demo). The issue is how clunky the controls and movement are (on PC). The original really controlled far better than this one does.

Maybe the combat would feel awesome and satisfying if it controlled well. Currently, the action feels very disconnected from the controls.

meltingparappa said:
I can weather pre-order bonuses that are largely inconsequential, I'm ok with copy and pasted dungeons as a consequence of so quick a turnaround, but cliffhanger endings are by far the worst thing in videogame stories, and so when it's (apparently) in a heavily story-based game like this, it makes me rage out.

This and everything else people are complaining about just convinces me even further that Bioware doesn't care much about their true fans.

Can anyone help me out? I'm confused about some of the unlockables. I got the signature edition. The unlockables menu refers you to Bioware's social site to enter the promo code, which I did and it was accepted. Then you are supposed to look at the list of promo bonuses. I think their site has a typo or something because there's stuff that says you'll unlock if you like DA2 on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account, but that stuff is unlocked. The stuff that's listed as Signature Edition unlockables on the DA2 site are not unlocked for me other than than the prince quest thing and online pass. I do have the SE digital soundtrack unlocked. At this point I don't really care tbh. I spent about an hour or two just registering and downloading all the pre-release DLC.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
The problem is not only the difficulty though (I can't really judge that by how little I've played of the demo). The issue is how clunky the controls and movement are (on PC). The original really controlled far better than this one does.

Maybe the combat would feel awesome and satisfying if it controlled well. Currently, the action feels very disconnected from the controls.

Yeah I didn't like the way it controlled in the demo, in general.

But what I truly hate is what they've done to the camera views. I'm not a claustrophobic person at all but the limited top-down view in DA2 actually makes me feel it to some extent. Nobody can logically explain why the fuck they wouldn't have let you pull back just a bit further. It's absolutely absurd.

diffusionx said:
These sound like "gentleman's 8" scores. If this game was from some random no-name Eastern European company it would probably be getting 5's and 6's.

If it was from some random eastern european company though, PC Gaf would probaly be in love with it.

Phloxy

Beta drivers help, but not by much at all. Not when I can run much better looking games at much higher frame-rate than this turd.

bishopcruz said:
If it was from some random eastern european company though, PC Gaf would probaly be in love with it.

Yup: they'd be arguing that the 6 was a score that had to be given because of its flaws, but that even though the textures are a bit janky and the controls slightly slack, it's all about the heart and the great characters, and they make it a classic.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
Yeah I didn't like the way it controlled in the demo, in general.

But what I truly hate is what they've done to the camera views. I'm not a claustrophobic person at all but the limited top-down view in DA2 actually makes me feel it to some extent. Nobody can logically explain why the fuck they wouldn't have let you pull back just a bit further. It's absolutely absurd.

I think there's a field of view problem as well. The game really feels claustrophobic for some reason.

Phloxy said:
Beta drivers help, but not by much at all. Not when I can run much better looking games at much higher frame-rate than this turd.

Including the original game!

Spookie

bishopcruz said:

You tend to alter your expectations for a Eastern European RPG since they don't have the budgets of one of the biggest developers in the world.

DaBuddaDa

Zeliard said:
Nobody can logically explain why the fuck they wouldn't have let you pull back just a bit further. It's absolutely absurd.
The only explanation I've ever heard from the mouths of the developers was that they wanted the player to be able to explore more "full" environments including BAD ASS CEILINGS that wouldn't be viewable if the camera was pulled way out.

I'm not joking or making this up. I literally never heard any other explanation.

Brewster's Wallet said:
That's a smackdown?
Yeah man, that's one of the biggest smackdowns I've ever read!

TheExodu5 said:
I think there's a field of view problem as well. The game really feels claustrophobic for some reason.
I blame the camera position. Its a lot higher up compared to DA:O that when you zoom in it ends up being right over your character's shoulder. I have no idea who decided for it to be that way, or why they thought it was a good thing.
bishopcruz said:
Hell yeah we would. They are making some the best games you can play.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bishopcruz said:

nah, shit is shit, no matter how you spin it. I'm not saying this about DA2 though, haven't properly played it yet.

Eastern European devs don't scale back on mechanics, graphics and don't pretend that they do a Serious Mature Story With Grey Choice and Consequences™ except for one game which actually delivers it.

TheExodu5

Banned
bishopcruz said:

Are you somehow trying to diminish Eatern European RPGs? Risen and The Witcher were both great RPGs... Both games also look significantly better than DA2 (save for Risen's character models, perhaps).

Ceebs

whatevermort said:
Yup: they'd be arguing that the 6 was a score that had to be given because of its flaws, but that even though the textures are a bit janky and the controls slightly slack, it's all about the heart and the great characters, and they make it a classic.
We argue this because a game with those same issues from a major publisher will get an 8+ almost every time.

Zeliard

whatevermort said:

Bioware has the financial backing of the biggest game publisher in the world. Says quite a bit if we don't expect them to better far smaller studios with far less resources.

poisonelf

I don't think the new combat system should be viewed as an improvement, or a downgrade either. It's a completely different genre of RPG type. Sure, you may like this type more than the type of the original DA, but that doesn't make it "improved". It's simply different.

The first was tactical mechanics-wise, kind of turn based, slow and strategy-like, with generally real-like movement and toned down animations. The combat of DA2 is primarily designed for an action RPG, even if it grudgingly allows pausing in the PC, with the aesthetics of Xena meets Hellraiser meets God of War, endless unrealistic tumbles and explosions of enemies.

I know I'm not saying something new here but it is annoying to call this an "improvement". It's NOT an improvement as that would imply evolution of the same type. It is a different type of game (as far as combat is concerned) designed to appeal to different tastes. Good for you if you like it, good for you if you don't.

X-Frame

GillianSeed79 said:
Can anyone help me out? I'm confused about some of the unlockables. I got the signature edition. The unlockables menu refers you to Bioware's social site to enter the promo code, which I did and it was accepted. Then you are supposed to look at the list of promo bonuses. I think their site has a typo or something because there's stuff that says you'll unlock if you like DA2 on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account, but that stuff is unlocked. The stuff that's listed as Signature Edition unlockables on the DA2 site are not unlocked for me other than than the prince quest thing and online pass. I do have the SE digital soundtrack unlocked. At this point I don't really care tbh. I spent about an hour or two just registering and downloading all the pre-release DLC.
The Signature Edition bonuses will be in a chest once you get to Kirkwall IIRC from the last BioWare live stream. You apparently don't start with them all.

graywolf323

bishopcruz said:

if that's a knock against The Witcher and you haven't played it then you are a moron

subversus

Zeliard said:
Bioware has the financial backing of the biggest game publisher in the world. Says quite a bit if we don't expect them to better far smaller studios with far less resources.

indeed. I can expect armor clipping, NPCs not reacting to the fight and a main character not reacting to giant boulder falling on his head from 20-man studio on like 4 million budget (at most) but not from supposedly AAA-game.

graywolf323 said:
if that's a knock against The Witcher and you haven't played it then you are a moron

nah, I think it's about Risen, Two Worlds II, Divinity II.

Loxley

Does anyone know how the DA2 reviews are fairing against, say, Risen, Two Worlds 2, or Divinity 2? As someone else said earlier in the thread, reading some of these reviews I totally get the impression that if wasn't Bioware and was just some Euro-dev, the actually numbers would be lower.

*edit: Whoa, beaten o_O

The_Darkest_Red said:
This and everything else people are complaining about just convinces me even further that Bioware doesn't care much about their true fans.

Clearly there's more money to be made from the other demographics.

If so...good luck to them.

subversus

Lostconfused said:
That's still incredibly stupid. Those games are good for what they are.

yeah, they have jank if it is what he meant. But they're not made by a huge team with millions of $ behind them.

DaBuddaDa said:
For those of you who are jaded and disappointed with Dragon Age 2, please give the expansion/enhancement Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga a chance. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is.

Starts a bit slow (first two hours) but then you'll be opening up new mechanics for a very long time. Always feels fresh and light-hearted.

Spookie said:
You tend to alter your expectations for a Eastern European RPG since they don't have the budgets of one of the biggest developers in the world.

I don't alter anything when the game still costs full price.

Loxley said:
Does anyone know how the DA2 reviews are fairing against, say, Risen, Two Worlds 2, or Divinity 2? As someone else said earlier in the thread, reading some of these reviews I totally get the impression that if wasn't Bioware and was just some Euro-dev, the actually numbers would be lower.

*edit: Whoa, beaten o_O
Meta critic
Dragon Age 2 : 86
Divinity 2 DKS : 82
Two Worlds II : 75
Risen : 75
Kinspiracy said:
Dragon Knight saga $40

Reviews are so funny around here.

"oh my god this game is going to get bad reviews"

"holding back reviews? They must expect shitty reviews"

"Good reviews? Must be paid off"

"Mercy scores for Bioware lol"

Zeliard

DaBuddaDa said:
The only explanation I've ever heard from the mouths of the developers was that they wanted the player to be able to explore more "full" environments including BAD ASS CEILINGS that wouldn't be viewable if the camera was pulled way out.

I'm not joking or making this up. I literally never heard any other explanation.

Wasn't that actually where the whole "hot textures" thing came about? They didn't want you to pull back too far for graphical reasons, even though it clearly gets in the way of gameplay.

I did generally go over-the-shoulder in DA:O when I was traversing the environments, simply because it's far easier to travel around when you can see towards the horizon, but in combat I was exclusively in the iso-like view.

There is no reason you would ever want to have the camera close-up during combat unless you're trying to zoom in to get a better view of a decapitation, or whatever. For tactical purposes, and for general manageability, it was always better to be in iso.

subversus

Kinspiracy said:

Like which one? The only game which costs full price is Two Worlds II and it has sold as good as ME2 because it has something.... fun, you know.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BattleMonkey said:
Reviews are so funny around here.

"oh my god this game is going to get bad reviews"

"holding back reviews? They must expect shitty reviews"

"Good reviews? Must be paid off"

"Mercy scores for Bioware lol"
Exactly. The game is a masterpiece. It has transcended its medium.

Ceebs

DaBuddaDa said:
For those of you who are jaded and disappointed with Dragon Age 2, please give the expansion/enhancement Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga a chance. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is.
I have been trying to get people to give Drakensang: River of Time a go. It's 1/3 of the price and a way closer to a Baldur's Gate spiritual successor than Dragon Age.

Lostconfused said:
Don't forget that 40 bucks gets you both the Main game and the expansion. That is well over 100 hours of action RPG.

Big Papa Husker said:
Anyone pick their copy up at Best Buy? I was curious if they had any Signature Editions out on the shelves.

No Signature Editions were on the shelf or the DA2 end cap. I tried to ask about if any were available at customer service and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Ceebs said:
I have been trying to get people to give Drakensang: River of Time a go. It's 1/3 of the price and a way closer to a Baldur's Gate spiritual successor than Dragon Age.
My hang up is that I don't fully understand the Dark Eye mechanics and I don't want to buy an actual rule book to read up on them.

Vamphuntr

DaBuddaDa said:

Really hated the non expansion version on 360. I made it to the part you get the tower and finally unlock the dragon and almost fell asleep. I guess with mods the game can be really amazing but the console version sucked really bad. There were huge balance issues with the game. Good luck playing as a mage... I had to glitch bosses in the environment so I could beat them. There was this one guy who would one shot me with explosive arrow until I glitched him in a path.

Pooya

1up

B+
Though I generally enjoyed Dragon Age 2 (enough to go for another playthrough), it's an enjoyment with significant caveats. It really seems like the biggest mistake is calling it "DA2," as it's just different enough from Dragon Age: Origins to not feel like a sequel, but more like a reboot. The different main character, the faster and more streamlined combat, and the overall structure makes it feel like a fine Dragon Age adventure, but not a direct follow-up to DAO. Ultimately, Dragon Age: Origins felt like a modern high-definition callback to the glory days of Infinity Engine RPGs -- it was a decidedly PC-centric game that got a sloppy port to the consoles. Dragon Age 2, by comparison, feels like a new console-focused action-RPG that should have been called something like "Dragon Age: The Hawkening" instead.

dejan

Risen and Divinity 2 (without the expansion) released at full price here in Germany. Hell, the GOTY edition of Risen is 37€ right now on Amazon (45€ for DA2).

Top Bottom