• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

mrseaves

Banned
Jeuxvideo.com: 12/20

Graphics: 13/20
Gameplay: 12/20
Length/replay value: 13/20
Soundtrack: 13/20
Story: 11/20

General note: 12/20

As a reminder, they gave Dragon Age: Origins the following score:

Graphics: 15/20
Gameplay: 18/20
Length/replay value: 17/20
Soundtrack: 18/20
Story: 18/20

General note: 18/20

kai3345

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
From what I've read, decisions made in Awakening do carry over. I'm not sure about the Golems DLC, but the save importer will reference the decision made in Witch Hunt.
But does it make any significant difference? Or is it just a minor dialouge mention?

"Oh -this happened- that's cool I guess"

ceski

Neo Member
Reluctant-Hero said:
Are the same person who posted the same link on almost everyone of the last 5 or so pages? Because it's so good that it needs to be on every page, right?
Nope just once yesterday, keep pulling at strings!

Moonstone

shinobi602 said:
I'm fairly positive it will.

It definitly will be out before christmas. ME2 had poor sales compared to the hype and the goty awards it received because it slipped into january. Bioware learned from that.

DA:O had pretty good sales, although the console version was fucked up.

And ME2 is the game that should have appealed to the CoD crowd. I think this is why they rushed DA2, they wanted a big enough release window for marketing DA2 and ME3. So they had to possible dates: march 2011 and march 2012 for DA2.

Haunted

mrseaves said:

looks like EA marketing forgot an outlet. Not sure if jeuxvideo should feel honoured or insulted. :lol

mrseaves said:

I love the Google translation for the first sentence of that review:

Dragon Age II has aroused the distrust of fans from his official announcement during the summer.

The review was definitely the most negative I've read so far.

gdt

Zeliard said:
So do your party members auto-equip armor now that you can no longer equip them yourself? Another ridiculous change from Bioware.

Says you. I goddamn hate dealing with inventory.

styl3s

I don't care about reviews they mean nothing to me nor factor into game purchasing, i am only like 2 hours in the game i absolutely love it, i know alot of people have been complaining but i didn't bother investigating why because the majority of gamers bitch to bitch.

Got the 360 version and i only came across 1 problem which was FPS loss during a quick cut scene which didn't bother me, i dig the "simple" combat as some cry about and i find the graphics to be fine, defiantly going to sink 100+ hours in this easily.

Moonstone said:
It definitly will be out before christmas. ME2 had poor sales compared to the hype and the goty awards it received because it slipped into january. Bioware learned from that.

Poor sales....?

It sold 2 million copies in the first week >__>

It wasn't really that hyped. By now it's sold at least double that amount. It did great.

gdt

Just finished inputing the 3 (!) different codes that come with the Sig edition, in addition to the Dead Space 2 code.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
The Eurogamer review seems quite well done, praising the game heavily without ignoring the ways its left some RPG roots behind.

There's one line however that perfectly sums up my feelings towards the game, "Once you stop obsessing over what's different and start paying attention to what's important, Dragon Age II has plenty to offer."

styl3s said:
I don't care about reviews they mean nothing to me nor factor into game purchasing, i am only like 2 hours in the game i absolutely love it, i know alot of people have been complaining but i didn't bother investigating why because the majority of gamers bitch to bitch.

Got the 360 version and i only came across 1 problem which was FPS loss during a quick cut scene which didn't bother me, i dig the "simple" combat as some cry about and i find the graphics to be fine, defiantly going to sink 100+ hours in this easily.

Good man.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Xamdou said:
So how is the inventory system? How many items can you carry and did your inventory become full quickly?

I didn't see how big the inventory size is, but I saw inventory size-increasing backpacks for sale in one of the shops. The inventory interface is more or less the same as the first game, except that there is no longer a tab that shows everything, I think. One improvement, however, is that you can mark items as "junk" which go to their own separate tab for you to sell from later as to not clutter up your other tabs.

Having played about 5 hours of the game, I'm enjoying it so far. It's not really so different from the first game, and is less of a change/simplification than ME1 -> ME2.

The game has been more difficult than the first on nightmare, though some of that has to do with the most annoying change I've noticed; enemies constantly spawn mid-battle and almost always do it behind your party. This combined with the new and inferior pulled in camera do take away from the positioning aspect of battles.

The dialogue wheel is a downgrade, but the lack of an alignment system makes it somewhat better than in ME.
Xamdou said:
So how is the inventory system? How many items can you carry and did your inventory become full quickly?

You can carry 50 at the start. Maybe you can expand it later, but it's been enough since you don't need to carry armor for NPCs and you can stash all your junk at home.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, from reading the Eurogamer review, it seems like 360 is the way to go with this. He explicitly mentions that while you can still pause and give orders, it is pretty much unnecessary.

Darklord

Banned
mrseaves said:

Fucking ouch. 11/20 for story? What the fuck happened to Bioware on this game?

gdt5016 said:
Says you. I goddamn hate dealing with inventory.

No, (if that's what they've done) it's objectivity fucking dumb. The correct thing to do is include a toggle for it just like every other WRPG this gen.

I'm beginning to believe Bioware when they say they're not insulting their fans with this moronic "streamlining" (read as making things more arduous/difficult to do). It's simply a result of the developers themselves being utter morons themselves.

Spirit of Jazz said:
No, (if that's what they've done) it's objectivity fucking dumb. The correct thing to do is include a toggle for it just like every other WRPG this gen.

That's not how it works. NPCs have their own unique armor that upgrades throughout the game, they don't auto-equip stuff you find.

Just finished installing, it runs a bit better than the demo but something is definitely fucked up with nvidia cards and this game. I'm using the latest beta drivers and the game chugs on very high settings but my GPU utilization tops out at like 80%.

so far it's a mixed bag..
on normal it's ABSURDLY easy, on hard.. well you need the healer, fo'shizzle..
my gripe is that i'd loved to see a 5 chars party for
1 tank
1 rogue/chest unlocker
1 pure dps melee (Warrior)
1 pure healer (spirit healer+X or anders + healer)
1 mage dps + healing support

alas with again a party of four i'll give up the rogue..
heler + mage dps is a necessity due to the sheer amount of cc a mage can offer between petrify, horror, and so on...

I haven't had any performance issues using a GTX 285 and the latest beta drivers. Settings are only on high (with texture pack) though because it's a DX10 card, so maybe that's it.

Salaadin

My brother is trying to register but its saying his code is already used. Anyone else have this issue? Its not showing on his account either.

I assume it is too early for anyone to know, but I figured I'd throw it out anyways.
I made a decent looking PC, but it turned Bethany into a pig looking creature. Is there any way to avoid this auto-adjustment?
Alternatively, could I start out as the default, and then use the Mirror to alter my PC later? Or would Bethany change with me then?

Also, those sliders are murder on the hand with a mouse. They couldn't include a left/right button? Am I missing something, or do you have to hold and slide to adjust?

Edit: According to the Bioware Forums using the mirror alters your sibling as well. Will create another character I like. Hopefully the family doesn't come out looking ridiculous again. Or will wait for mods.

Salaadin said:
My brother is trying to register but its saying his code is already used. Anyone else have this issue? Its not showing on his account either.

Give it a second. Mine kept logging me out, then when it didn't said it was already used, but then it showed up on my account. Might be the same. The website is struggling right now.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've only played the demo, but from what I have played, I enjoy the game.

Thing is, I don't really feel like I should support the move Bioware made with this game, despite the fact that I do like the game.

It pisses me off that Bioware would essentially pull the carpet out from underneath their original fanbase with the first game. Assuming I'm reading the reactions correctly: A lot of DA:O fans are not too pleased with the sequel. Does this sound about right, or am I missing something?

Tomat said:
Assuming I'm reading the reactions correctly: A lot of DA:O fans are not too pleased with the sequel. Does this sound about right, or am I missing something?

Too early to tell, not many people have play it yet. Most of the hysteria is based on assumptions at this point.

I'm a fan of the original who is liking it so far, but it's still early in the game. I'm not pleased with all the changes, but the game really isn't a dramatic departure from DOA.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Basileus777 said:
Too early to tell, not many people have play it yet. Most of the hysteria is based on assumptions at this point.

I'm a fan of the original who is liking it so far, but it's still early in the game. I'm not pleased with all the changes, but the game really isn't a dramatic departure from DOA.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into the abundance of hate for everything across the internet. Either way my stance stands for now (Plus I can't even afford the game right now anyway).

Maybe I'll eat my own words at some point.

epmode

Zefah said:
Their solution for DLC on the PC is really inelegant. First, you have to register some key to "unlock" the signature edition. Next, you go in game, and instead of being able to manage DLC in-game like in DA:O, you click on a link that sends you to a website. Unfortunately this website is for Dragon Age: Origins DLC (go testing!). So after digging around Bioware's website a bit, I finally find this page. I then need to click "Buy Now" (even though I should already have these on my account), follow the links, and finally am allowed access to this page, which allows me to manually download and install individual DLC content.

I needed to go to work, so I didn't get any further, but I certainly hope this manual installation business works.
Rad. Of course, a Steamworks release would have the DLC tied to your original download so none of this would have been necessary. But at least EA keeps a few people away from Steam this way!

(ideally, we wouldn't have this ridiculous DLC situation in the first place. And as long as we're dreaming, we'd have a game with something more substantial than an 18 month dev cycle)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
Rad. Of course, a Steamworks release would have the DLC tied to your original download so none of this would have been necessary. But at least EA keeps a few people away from Steam this way!

(ideally, we wouldn't have this ridiculous DLC situation in the first place)

It looks like they aren't even using the Bioware Social Network that they used for DA:O and ME2. EA makes no damn sense.

It looks like all those bonus items are on the disc so to speak, because logging into EA's servers automatically unlocked them with no download.

aku08

Zefah said:
It looks like they aren't even using the Bioware Social Network that they used for DA:O and ME2. EA makes no damn sense.

i downloaded all my dlc from the bioware social network.

jtrov

Basileus77 said:
You can carry 50 at the start. Maybe you can expand it later, but it's been enough since you don't need to carry armor for NPCs and you can stash all your junk at home.

You can purchase items from NPC's that allow you to carry more items. I already bought two items that increase my inventory space. However, since you don't need to worry about NPC armor, you don't really seem to run out of space. Most of the time it's clogged with armor Hawke can't wear, because of his class.

Zefah said:
Yeah... I was curious about that. So DA2 doesn't upload your Hawke's stats, gear, and story progress/decisions?

Even thought it was buggy at best, it's was a cool feature for DAO.

Weak, BioWare. Very weak.

jtrov said:
You can purchase items from NPC's that allow you to carry more items. I already bought two items that increase my inventory space. However, since you don't need to worry about NPC armor, you don't really seem to run out of space. Most of the time it's clogged with armor Hawke can't wear, because of his class.

Have you found out if it's better to sell your junk items or are they worth keeping for crafting?

jackdoe

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeah... I was curious about that. So DA2 doesn't upload your Hawke's stats, gear, and story progress/decisions?

Even thought it was buggy at best, it's was a cool feature for DAO.

Weak, BioWare. Very weak.
They probably looked at player stats, saw that few people were using it, and scrapped it. Which stinks. They should have tried to improve it so that more people would use it.

jtrov

Basileus777 said:
Have you found out if it's better to sell your junk items or are they worth keeping for crafting?

I just sell the junk items. I think the crafting items are actually different altogether, but I could be wrong. From what I remember, I was able to still craft some poisons after selling all the items in the Loot section of my inventory. I could be remembering this wrong though.

Vamphuntr

Basileus777 said:
It looks like all those bonus items are on the disc so to speak, because logging into EA's servers automatically unlocked them with no download.

This was pretty much confirmed when they started offering "DLC items" (the demo call to arm campaing and facebook stuff) at the last minute.No way they could get all that crap approved for the console version in time by Sony and MS.

Top Bottom