• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darklord said:
Fucking ouch. 11/20 for story? What the fuck happened to Bioware on this game?

Apparently the same thing that happened to ME2. They fucking forgot to write a main plot.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ugh, the Bioware Social site is lagging hardcore for me. Once I finally get to login and enter the Bioware Signature Edition code, it logs me out and tells me to log back in. :(

jackdoe

TheUsual said:
I'm still on Windows XP, so I can't use High or Very High. :(
What are you still doing on XP? Windows 7 is kickass!

Anyways, this is a fucking joke and I'm not going to run through the game on medium settings. That just means that I'll wait until Nvidia or Bioware solve the problem (Nvidia most likely cause Bioware can be lazy fucks with patches) before I start the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
jackdoe said:
And the PC performance of this game on high and very high is a fucking joke.
You sure? I thought people were just saying that nVidia had a performance issue and the new driver update fixes it. Also for my computer (Phenom II X4, 5850), turning off SSAO restores a hell of a lot of performance. I hope I can run this well with it looking really nice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
bishopcruz said:
Not at all. I quite like The WItcher and haven't played Risen. But those games get a pass on a lot of their jank and poor design choices.

Will post more when I am no longer doing so on a kindle.

Geez like there isnt an immense difference in manpower and funds behind the projects.

jackdoe

Dice said:
You sure? I thought people were just saying that nVidia had a performance issue and the new driver update fixes it. Also for my computer (Phenom II X4, 5850), turning off SSAO restores a hell of a lot of performance. I hope I can run this well with it looking really nice.
The new driver makes it slightly playable (like a jump from 10 FPS to 20 FPS), but still shitty performance. SSAO does nothing for the framerate nor does turning off AA (on very high). It does make some difference on high, but not enough to be worth the visual quality sacrifice.

TheUsual

Gold Member
jackdoe said:
What are you still doing on XP? Windows 7 is kickass!

Anyways, this is a fucking joke and I'm not going to run through the game on medium settings. That just means that I'll wait until Nvidia or Bioware solve the problem (Nvidia most likely cause Bioware can be lazy fucks with patches) before I start the game.
Money. I plan on upgrading sometime later this year. Here's a good laugh too, I still use XP SP2. My motherboard was one of the lucky boards that put windows in an infinite reboot when I installed SP3. There is a beta bios to fix this, but I dont want to risk it because everything is set up and I have had no problems at all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Now I feel obliged to buy to justify my investment in AMD card and brag in high-res screenshots thread.

JoeBoy101

My 570 is doing just fine on high, but very high craters it. Haven't tried the new drivers, but have they been release yet? Or are they still beta?

jackdoe

JoeBoy101 said:
My 570 is doing just fine on high, but very high craters it. Haven't tried the new drivers, but have they been release yet? Or are they still beta?
Beta. Man, words cannot describe my buyer's remorse right now. I had my expectations set to a low, but I never expected performance issues like this. No wonder they locked the demo to medium and claimed that high and very high settings would be fixed for the retail release.

Dice

Missed this before.

jackdoe said:
And shit. They don't let you tweak the freaking preset Hawke? The hell? I hate the facial structure, but I like the fact that the hair and beard aren't shitty like the rest of the character creation hairs and beards.
It would seem that is what the Black Emporium is for.

jackdoe

Dice said:
Missed this before.

It would seem that is what the Black Emporium is for.
No. Black Emporium lets you tweak your Hawke later in the game. I am complaining that default preset Hawke's hair and beard are unavailable to you if you decide to custom create a character.

Ryu

jackdoe said:
And the PC performance of this game on high and very high is a fucking joke.

Game runs and looks great for me. It's not 60 FPS locked on very high with the high res texture pack and 2xAA, but it's definitely running at a solid clip.

i5 750, AMD 5850, 8GB of ram.

Chairman Yang said:
8.0 from Gamespot

Praises the player choice, writing, and fun of the combat.

Slams the main story, oversimplification, and tactical depth of the combat.

Kevin VanOrd is a good reviewer who understands RPGs, so I have some faith in this review. I think I'll pick up the game when it's cheaper.

I'd initially written this game off with all the negative early impressions. But while the reviews confirm some of my fears they also have me a fair bit intrigued. I love games that try, even if they fail, to deal with choice in some meaningful fashion. Still not going to day one this, but when I see a deal on the PC version, then I'll be in.

jackdoe

Ryu said:
Game runs and looks great for me. It's not 60 FPS locked on very high with the high res texture pack and 2xAA, but it's definitely running at a solid clip.

Nvidia cards have issues with this game.

JoeBoy101

Ryu said:

And THERE'S your answer.

Dice

Ryu said:

Sweet. If that's your setup, it should run great for me, then.

TheExodu5

Banned
jackdoe said:
Nvidia cards have issues with this game.

They don't. AA is the problem in this game. 8x AA cuts the framerate to about 1/4 of 2x AA. The AA in this game is almost as demanding as supersampling.

JoeBoy101 said:
And THERE'S your answer.

2x AA is the answer

My GTX 570 won't drop below 60fps as long as AA is set to 4x. At 8x, I get 30-40fps.

edit: nvm, this is just with the demo on High. I see people are complaining about "very high" performance.

Seems to run pretty smooth on 4890 for me on as high as it will go. No DirectX11 support, but I'm too cheap to upgrade. Just installed high res patch, will see if I notice anything. Any comparison shots out there for persons more ambitious than I?

Only 4xAA, though. That is what the scan recommended and I haven't touched it yet to see if I can go higher.

jackdoe said:
No. Only applies to the PC version.

And shit. They don't let you tweak the freaking preset Hawke? The hell? I hate the facial structure, but I like the fact that the hair and beard aren't shitty like the rest of the character creation hairs and beards.

Yeah, I don't understand this AT ALL. Same thing with default Shep. He had different hair/textures/eyes that you couldn't get otherwise. Default Hawke looks like his beard is glued on, but he has one of the few non-terrible hairstyles. Oh well. I know the mod tools aren't planned, but that seems like something somebody with a little bit of knowledge might be able to modify.

MechaX

Chairman Yang said:
8.0 from Gamespot

Praises the player choice, writing, and fun of the combat.

Slams the main story, oversimplification, and tactical depth of the combat.

Kevin VanOrd is a good reviewer who understands RPGs, so I have some faith in this review. I think I'll pick up the game when it's cheaper.

Hm.. Seems like reviews like this and Eurogamer's are hitting upon the same major points. While I think that voiced Hawke was a good move, it really sucks that no party member here rises to the level of Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, etc. Combine that with absolutely minimal DA:O impact, Bioware pulling another ME2 by having a pretty bare-bones main plot, and swinging a bit too far away from RPG mechanics, it makes the game seem not really like a day one purchase, even if I probably would like it.

Damn, I really wish that DA:O would have had a greater impact. Hell, they could have even retconned a voice for the Grey Warden and bring the character back. I would think that carrying over characters like this would be a plus factor.

jackdoe

TheExodu5 said:
They don't. AA is the problem in this game. 8x AA cuts the framerate to about 1/4 of 2x AA. The AA in this game is almost as demanding as supersampling.
I just checked. You're right about that. Shit, the smoothness that 2X has in comparison to 4X is unbelievable for High. Very High runs like shit regardless of AA implementation though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Stallion Free said:
Can I get some un-compressed DX11 all features on Very-High 8xAA shots?
I posted 2 in the high-res screenshots thread. Here are three more:
http://i.picpar.com/a822bf9e0a61575f52f6a16defc674193fd45990.jpg
http://i.picpar.com/d5aea30dfc81fb2e5f48f82f68594525a295609e.jpg
http://i.picpar.com/b9c868abf2693eb52465a0caa004da96c61e2f19.jpg

I would warn anyone with an nVidia card planning to run it on Very High away until there is a patch or new drivers that alleviate the frame rate issues.

Krujo

Banned
The game runs like crap for me on very high with everything maxed.(I7 980x 12gigs ram 580 GTX). I'll wait till patch to play.

HK-47 said:
Apparently the same thing that happened to ME2. They fucking forgot to write a main plot.

It's strange, but the way Bioware writes their characters lends itself better to this kind of story.

Probably because most Bioware partymembers treat the world shattering main plot with all the importance of a sidequest.

It's not a big deal, just something they'll get to when the protagonist solves their problems/crippling psychological issues.

gdt

Played for 2 1/2 hours, digging it alot. It mainly feel like DA:O, but super polished. The combat is great, and very responsive.

Looks great too.

Dice

Fimbulvetr said:
It's strange, but the way Bioware writes their characters lends itself better to this kind of story.

Probably because most Bioware partymembers treat the world shattering main plot with all the importance of a sidequest.

It's not a big deal, just something they'll get to when the protagonist solves their problems/crippling psychological issues.
This killed me in Origins. People fussing over the most inane shit so I bring up how the Darkspawn are going to come kill us all and then it won't matter, and it changes nothing about their attitude. The logic can't be contested, but they are such whiny bitches that they don't temporarily drop their issues to save the fucking world.

At least in ME2, so far as I have seen, people understand that while the death of the galaxy is generally imminent it is also generally mysterious, so they leave dealing with their personal stuff up to your discretion. The threat is shrouded to most of the rest of the world, so that allows a freedom in the NPCs. I hope DA2 has this sort of sensibility to it, because the lack of it really annoyed me in Origins. Can anyone confirm what it's like?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gaaaahhh. The game won't fucking install on my 360. At first I would get disk read errors at 4% but then it managed to get to 32% 4 times before I quit in silent rage. It spent 2 seconds outside the box before it went into the tray and I've checked since to make sure the disc was pristine, and the last 2 games from gamefly ran fine from the disc without an install, so I have no idea what the culprit is.

Edit: Omg Omg. After turning the system in and trying again I am currently at 69%. COME ON XBOX. Treat ne right dammit. I didn't trade you in!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Stallion Free said:
I can't see shit in those.
Because of the quality or the nature of the shots?

Those are very favorable shots because of their limited view. The game is very uneven visually, especially in outdoor areas. The more you can see, the worse it gets. I wasn't taking very many screenshots of the bad sections, but crags and valleys can get laughably blocky.
http://i.picpar.com/45b301399962bbc8d2dde9577460d57489689a7b.jpg

JohngPR

Lostconfused said:
You couldn't in the demo, but the tactics menu in the PC demo was broke and useless. Honestly I am shocked that at least two things got fixed in the retail version.

I guess that's +1 for demo isn't indicative of final product. :p

Still waiting on my Amazon order. Hopefully it will get here soon.

Iztli

dragon-age-ii-pc-1299594069-043.jpg
lol

Just got home and it was waiting for me at my front door :)

As for the comments about the story in ME2 being crap, please give it a rest. I personally thought it had a great story but at the end of the day, we're only discussing opinions, not facts. I'm glad it's getting decent scores and will be enjoying it regardless. I also wish people wouldn't be so picky about their games. Just because someone gave it a 8 (which is a great score) doesn't mean it would be a 8 in your eyes. I have fallen a victim to that way too many times and ended up missing out on games I found out later to have loved and wasn't able to support the devs who made it (Sorry Clover Studios!).

Top Bottom