• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Dice said:
At least in ME2, so far as I have seen, people understand that while the death of the galaxy is generally imminent it is also generally mysterious, so they leave dealing with their personal stuff up to your discretion. The threat is shrouded to most of the rest of the world, so that allows a freedom in the NPCs. I hope DA2 has this sort of sensibility to it, because the lack of it really annoyed me in Origins. Can anyone confirm what it's like?

Quite a few of ME2's cast sort of clash with the main story was well.

Specifically in that they have no real reason to join you because, unlike the Blight, the Reapers and Collectors aren't a publicly known threat and the person trying to hire them is funded by a known criminal organization.

Crazypanda_85 said:
the end of the day, we're only discussing opinions, not facts.

Why we still got forums?

JohngPR

Lostconfused said:
On the other hand DX11 still runs like ass, almost as bad as the demo.

That sucks. :(

I get decent performance out of my HD 5770 though (High settings with Dx11) so I guess I can't complain too much.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Fimbulvetr said:
Specifically in that they have no real reason to join you because, unlike the Blight, the Reapers and Collectors aren't a publicly known threat and the person trying to hire them is funded by a known criminal organization.

Lol. Perhaps you should've talked to your crew.

RDreamer

Well, so far the game seems buggy as hell. The character creation screen took like 3-4 minutes to finally load, and now I've had 2 freezes during conversation. This is on the PS3 version.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol, game is bugged

Im currently playing this on a standard TV on 360, and all the cutscenes are in the wrong aspect ratio. Checked the bioware forum, and not does everyone playing on a standard TV seem to be affected, but even someone on an HDTV...

subversus said:

I did. What are you referring to?

Also, I didn't say all of them didn't have reasons for joining, it's mostly a problem with Mordin(one of the best characters of the bunch), Thane, and Samara.

Edit: Scratch Mordin, I just remember that stuff about the plague that doesn't effect humans.

Iztli said:
dragon-age-ii-pc-1299594069-043.jpg
lol

"Think like a general. Fight like a Spartan."

TheExodu5

Banned
Lostconfused said:
On the other hand DX11 still runs like ass, almost as bad as the demo.

Like I said, never believe developer promises that "the full game will run better than the demo, etc...". It's hardly ever true.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
HK-47 said:
Apparently the same thing that happened to ME2. They fucking forgot to write a main plot.

Sad state of affairs at Bioware. I'm glad I decided to wait for impressions before I bought the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh man, so because my funds are limited, I started deliberating more and searching for more info and gameplay demonstration videos on my wishlist items. The Witcher 2 has been completely revamped over the first and looks absolutely amazing. I'm going to preorder that instead of getting this and just play ME2 and some backlog (maybe actually finish The Witcher) for now.

Thanks for the info, though. I may end up getting this during the summer sale.

Vamphuntr said:
There was a glitch in the first version of witch hunt where it wouldn't create a final save at the end. Maybe that's the problem?

Crap. Did they ever patch that for 360? I remember getting the bad ending to that despite doing the prerequisites in DA:O to get the good ending.

I let Alistair do the ritual with Morrigan and gave him the throne. I Slayed Flemmeth. Killed the Arch Demon and survived. In Witch Hunt Morrigan said I had failed or something before walking through the mirror.

I don't get what I did wrong and I might have to replay it now before starting DA2.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The beta nVidia drivers. They do nooooothing. Still 20fps on Very High settings.

TheExodu5 said:
Like I said, never believe developer promises that "the full game will run better than the demo, etc...". It's hardly ever true.

I didn't believe that at all. Bioware straight lied to me, yo.

Dice said:
Oh man, so because my funds are limited, I started deliberating more and searching for more info and gameplay demonstration videos on my wishlist items. The Witcher 2 has been completely revamped over the first and looks absolutely amazing. I'm going to preorder that instead of getting this and just play ME2 and some backlog (maybe actually finish The Witcher) for now.

Thanks for the info, though. I may end up getting this during the summer sale.
Any time someone chooses to support CD Projekt over the current incarnation of Bioware, an angel gets its wings.

Salaadin

Got 3 codes with the steam version. One for the game, one called "entitlement key" and another called "preorder entitlement".

The "Entitlement key" one got me black emporium. Thats all I should have gotten, right? the other one isnt working at all and is being shot back as already in use.

JoeBoy101

Like I said, game does look good with Dx11, High Settings, 4X, 16AF, SSAO, and the High Res Textures patch. Just would like to get the full monty with tessalation and what not.

kamspy

Did a few missions in Kirkwall. Game seems awesome so far. Hard provides an enjoyable amount of difficulty. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would. But I was never entirely on the hate train.

I don't have a DX11 card, but it sucks that DX10 runs so bad. That said, it shits all over DA:O in DX9 mode with maxed shit and very high textures.

Vamphuntr

GillianSeed79 said:
Crap. Did they ever patch that for 360? I remember getting the bad ending to that despite doing the prerequisites in DA:O to get the good ending.

I let Alistair do the ritual with Morrigan and gave him the throne. I Slayed Flemmeth. Killed the Arch Demon and survived. In Witch Hunt Morrigan said I had failed or something before walking through the mirror.

I don't get what I did wrong and I might have to replay it now before starting DA2.

Was always broken for me too on 360... Moreover it only creates a clear save if you
stab Morrigan
because of the import glitch. If you didn't get the import glitch then it will create a save no matter the resolution at the end.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kamspy said:
Did a few missions in Kirkwall. Game seems awesome so far. Hard provides an enjoyable amount of difficulty. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would. But I was never entirely on the hate train.

I don't have a DX11 card, but it sucks that DX10 runs so bad. That said, it shits all over DA:O in DX9 mode with maxed shit and very high textures.
Some screens please? At this point I'll settle for some DX9 shots.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Okay, so I know PC performance isn't all that great, so I need to ask this question.

I'm about to go out and pick up this game, I have all platforms and a decent PC - what should I get it on?

AMD X4 640, GTX 460

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Shake Appeal said:
Any time someone chooses to support CD Projekt over the current incarnation of Bioware, an angel gets its wings.
EA is also sort of destroying gaming and the only reason I don't boycott them is because I'd be alone in doing so.

JohngPR

Finally got my Signature Edition copy in the mail!

Also, for those that bought Dead Space 2 on PS3 but Dragon Age 2 on the PC, you can contact EA via their website and ask them to switch the Sir Isaac armor bonus from PS3 to PC and they'll do it for you no sweat:

Erudite

Kinitari said:
Okay, so I know PC performance isn't all that great, so I need to ask this question.

I'm about to go out and pick up this game, I have all platforms and a decent PC - what should I get it on?

AMD X4 640, GTX 460
I'm running on an older AMD Quad Core @ 2.4 GHZ with a 460 GTX, and I've got everything cranked up, minus SSAO, with 4xAA and 8xAF

Kinitari said:

AMD X4 640, GTX 460
Its going to be unplayable at very high, runing probably at less than 20fps. You might probably get 30-40 fps if you run it on High settings if you don't have anything higher than 2x AA. I dunno, if you are fine with playing on consoles the 360 version might not be too bad depending on if you don't mind not having the option to auto-attack.
Traced-Velocity said:
I'm running on an older AMD Quad Core @ 2.4 GHZ with a 460 GTX, and I've got everything cranked up, minus SSAO, with 4xAA and 8xAF
whats your framerate? I can't possible imagine anyone playing like that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MechaX said:
Hm.. Seems like reviews like this and Eurogamer's are hitting upon the same major points. While I think that voiced Hawke was a good move, it really sucks that no party member here rises to the level of Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, etc. Combine that with absolutely minimal DA:O impact, Bioware pulling another ME2 by having a pretty bare-bones main plot, and swinging a bit too far away from RPG mechanics, it makes the game seem not really like a day one purchase, even if I probably would like it.

Damn, I really wish that DA:O would have had a greater impact. Hell, they could have even retconned a voice for the Grey Warden and bring the character back. I would think that carrying over characters like this would be a plus factor.

Well Morrigan, Alistar and Leliana arent that great in the first place. Should just get the ME team to do characters. They at least hit upon an interesting one occasionally.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Traced-Velocity said:

Well that solves that. And I read something about a texture pack - gotta grab that too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:
It's strange, but the way Bioware writes their characters lends itself better to this kind of story.

Probably because most Bioware partymembers treat the world shattering main plot with all the importance of a sidequest.

It's not a big deal, just something they'll get to when the protagonist solves their problems/crippling psychological issues.

lol I'm replaying ME2 and I see this a lot. I wish they'd just shoot the damn breeze sometimes, or comment on new party members and missions isnt instead of just focusing on their crushing psych issues.

Its still bad structure for a game story. At least Canterbury Tale it or something. Either that or write a bloody main plot.

So the DA:O import feature is officially bugged.

It's listed in the Read Me file on the PC DVD.
Dragon Age 2 "Read Me" said:
- In some cases, characters in conversation make inaccurate references to earlier events in Dragon Age II or to the events of Dragon Age: Origins, if you imported a saved game.

I found this over on the Social site forums, here. Apparently all your choices will appear okay in the import summary. But as you play further into DA2, it could get all screwed up.

I guess I'll just play DA2 with one of the three default story choices. But this shitty because carrying over my DA:O choices is a huge feature, IMHO.

Hopefully BioWare can get this patched quickly. I'm bummed out. Way to drop the ball on your whole "choice and consequence" aspect, BioWare.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lostconfused said:
Its going to be unplayable at very high, runing probably at less than 20fps. You might probably get 30-40 fps if you run it on High settings if you don't have anything higher than 2x AA. I dunno, if you are fine with playing on consoles the 360 version might not be too bad depending on if you don't mind not having the option to auto-attack.
I am almost always at 60 on High with a similar set up to his. PC is definitely still the way to go.
Stallion Free said:
Some screens please? At this point I'll settle for some DX9 shots.
Here, basic dump, everything maxed.
DA2 Gallery
DragonAge2%202011-03-08%2016-57-44-40.bmp

Zeal

Banned
i just don't understand why they dramatically lowered the poly count across the board. it almost makes it impossible to make the game look good, no matter what effects are on.

i mean, TERA Online utterly destroys this graphically, and it's an MMO for christ's sake. also developed before this.

Lostconfused said:
Wait, so the console version doesn't have an auto attack option? What happened to "it can be toggled in the full game"?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
subversus said:

Oh cmon, there is so much suspension of disbelief in 2's crew set up that its barely held to together even before the genetic diversity and fate of the captured colonists shit implodes the game. I wish there wasnt so much stuff I did enjoy in it. Then I could at least not fucking care.

I'm kinda tempted to check out the DLC for it though. /offtopic

Dance In My Blood said:
I am almost always at 60 on High with a similar set up to his. PC is definitely still the way to go.
Must be an AMD card. You can't even get 30 fps with an nvidia card if you have everything turned on.
Blue Ninja said:
Wait, so the console version doesn't have an auto attack option? What happened to "it can be toggled in the full game"?
Forgot to add it to the retail version of the game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lostconfused said:
Must be an AMD card. You can't even get 30 fps with an nvidia card if you have everything turned.
1GB GTX460.

I'm talking about High. High runs great on my machine. Very High is 10-20.

Blue Ninja said:
Apparently BioWare screwed up and that bit of "code" to enable an auto-attack option on consoles wasn't included in the gold master disk.

So, like me, you'll be enjoying button mashing until they issue a patch. If search back a few pages, you'll find the official quote from Chris Priestly, BioWare's community manager.

Edit: beat

*sigh* It seems like both BioWare and EA rushed DA2 to market with all these technical issues. Sad.

RDreamer

Is anyone else getting freezing during conversations on the PS3 version? The game seems near unplayable. I'm only a short way in and I've had it freeze three freaking times so far.

Blue Ninja said:

1. Release Demo
2. Tons of people complain about lack of auto-attack
3. Issue statement "Oh it's in the full game, you can toggle it"
4. Rush to get a patch out ASAP

Top Bottom