• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Anyone ever figure out what's up with the magical barriers that say only a specific element can breach them but can apparently be dissipated by any element, even their own?

High fantasy lockpicking minigame, I think.

Sorta weird that they had a tutorial pop-up and everything. I only saw them two or three times in my entire playthrough, and, as you say, they don't even work right.

I quit when the first patch release. Did I miss anything of note?
Stuff you ping now shows up on your map. Gamechanger!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bug that they're just going to leave be since it would needlessly encumber players at this point.

I spent half the game lugging around a staff of every element just in case, only to figure out on accident that the element of the staff doesn't even matter.

High fantasy lockpicking minigame, I think.

Sorta weird that they had a tutorial pop-up and everything. I only saw them two or three times in my entire playthrough, and, as you say, they don't even work right.
Yeah, maybe they figured there was an obstacle for warriors (loose walls), an obstacle for rogues (locked doors), but several obstacles for mages, so they yanked it at the last minute in the interest of party balance and forgot to remove the tutorial message.

Footos22

Platinum 126 in the bag. Did absolutely everything I could see. My journal is empty.

90 hours bang on. One nightmare playthrough. Games really easy on nightmare once you get past haven. Doing everything basically makes blackwall a 20 foot thick concrete wall. Vivienne and dorian just obliterate shit and I come in like a 2 handed tornado of death. Dragon rage is crazy powerful.

Does anyone have any tips for combat/class? I am a two handed warrior and have no idea what to do other than hold r2 and occasionally square. What is the most op class? I don't like the combat so whatever kills people the fastest is best.

Also does anyone have any general tips for the game, to add to this list? http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dragon-age-inquisition-1660270767

2H is not a dps-role or a tank role. 2H is an initiator/trapper role. Make sure to use Charging Bull liberally on your 2H warrior and engage priority targets (mage/archers)

As for OP classes, there really isn't any super underwhelming specs outside of Necromancer. But Knight Enchanter and Assassin are generally viewed as the most OP roles.

just about to start this game, quick question

are there any important DA Keep choices I should make?

I read that someone named Leliana is important so it sounds like I should keep her alive in my Tapestry, but I read somewhere that maybe she appears no matter what... Sort of hard to find any sort of guide on this because everything I found seems like conjecture written by websites before DAI actually released lol

don't explain how or why... but are any important people I should keep alive in the DA Keep? any preferable choices for main character/relationship/king, or does none of this stuff really appear in DAI?

thanks!

Ralemont

not me
just about to start this game, quick question

are there any important DA Keep choices I should make?

I read that someone named Leliana is important so it sounds like I should keep her alive in my Tapestry, but I read somewhere that maybe she appears no matter what... Sort of hard to find any sort of guide on this because everything I found seems like conjecture written by websites before DAI actually released lol

don't explain how or why... but are any important people I should keep alive in the DA Keep? any preferable choices for main character/relationship/king, or does none of this stuff really appear in DAI?

thanks!

Leliana is alive no matter what so don't worry about that. Given how she is in this game (kind of a ruthless badass) I actually think it makes more sense to have the Hero desecrate the Ashes in Origins and cut her down when she turns on him. Certainly would explain her bitterness.
of course I'd never make that canon because Leliana is my Hero's waifu

As for other choices a good rule of thumb is to keep people alive when you can.

So I am at the mission "The final piece" and I can't find it on the mission map. I haven't yet visited all areas. Is it a pre-req to unlock all zones before I can do this mission or something? If so... for god's sake. Let me finish this damn game already Bioware.

So I am at the mission "The final piece" and I can't find it on the mission map. I haven't yet visited all areas. Is it a pre-req to unlock all zones before I can do this mission or something? If so... for god's sake. Let me finish this damn game already Bioware.

Did you drink from the Well of Sorrows or did Morrigan?

^^Cool stuff.

Also, whats the level cap?.

Soft cap at 24 or so. By the time you get there there's nothing else left to do to help with leveling.

I did. I got back to Skyhold after, there was a bunch of chatting about the altar of Mythal, I went and chatted with Morrigan, and now I've got no where new to go on the mini map.

Edit - I unlocked a new area and when I traveled there and opened the map from that location, the Altar was there. Weird. Thanks anyway!

Leliana is alive no matter what so don't worry about that. Given how she is in this game (kind of a ruthless badass) I actually think it makes more sense to have the Hero desecrate the Ashes in Origins and cut her down when she turns on him. Certainly would explain her bitterness.
of course I'd never make that canon because Leliana is my Hero's waifu

As for other choices a good rule of thumb is to keep people alive when you can.
thanks. i was thinking to do that, a la Mass Effect... usually alive characters add content and dead characters add no content (better if both options add content) so i've been making choices like that where possible, but sometimes it's nice to kill someone if you know you won't miss anything later haha i was also curious about the DA1 hero, relationships, babies, kings, but I had a feeling it may be mentioned once by a NPC and otherwise irrelevant lol

Kandinsky

Soft cap at 24 or so. By the time you get there there's nothing else left to do to help with leveling.

Damn I should advance the story then, I'm like lvl12 and still have a lot of areas to unlock. It reminds me of Xenoblade where you were constantly overleveled due to the crazy amount of optional quests lol.

Grug

Sorry if this has already been asked - it's a long thread.

How lost would I be storyline wise if I started this game without playing the prequels?

Would it be like starting Mass Effect with the second game or does the story stand pretty well on its own?

Ralemont

not me
Use CC to lock the rogue down first. Or if your reactions are good, combat roll out of his backstab attack.

There's also a passive in the S&S tree to prevent flanking. Since several of the S&S passives are really good and weapon agnostic it's a viable solution if one is really having trouble.

Sorry if this has already been asked - it's a long thread.

How lost would I be storyline wise if I started this game without playing the prequels?

Would it be like starting Mass Effect with the second game or does the story stand pretty well on its own?

I'd say it's closer to playing Suikoden III first.

Ralemont

not me
thanks. i was thinking to do that, a la Mass Effect... usually alive characters add content and dead characters add no content (better if both options add content) so i've been making choices like that where possible, but sometimes it's nice to kill someone if you know you won't miss anything later haha i was also curious about the DA1 hero, relationships, babies, kings, but I had a feeling it may be mentioned once by a NPC and otherwise irrelevant lol

Trying to be really vague here but the Dark Ritual choice is way more important than just a mention.

Edit: Sorry double post.

2H is not a dps-role or a tank role. 2H is an initiator/trapper role. Make sure to use Charging Bull liberally on your 2H warrior and engage priority targets (mage/archers)

As for OP classes, there really isn't any super underwhelming specs outside of Necromancer. But Knight Enchanter and Assassin are generally viewed as the most OP roles.

Or Champion if your goal is to simply never die.

Ralemont

not me
are there any others that are more than just dialogue flavour, like choosing who you romance or he 'becomes king'?

Hmm, I'd say 1. Who the Hero romances 2. Who is King/Queen of Ferelden 3. How the Landsmeet goes down in general is reflected by characters showing up or not showing up in Inquisition.

Pretend I hypothetically have no idea what this means. ;)

Heh sorry. It's not the third party of a trilogy like it would be in the Mass Effect series, but it's still pretty context and lore-heavy. Like, the beginning of the game is peace talks between mage and Templar factions headed by the Divine. The game throws terms like this at you often and although there are codex entries and Investigate options it can all be a bit much. I made a lore thread for newcomers here that I had hoped people would use as a quick-look guide if the game drops some lore info and you need a bit of context. I would absolutely at the very least read the "Religion & Important Myths) section of that OP as virtually everything in it comes up at length in Inquisition's main story.

one last question, is there any stand out 'star' character or pair of characters that general consensus recommends in terms of story, writing, banter?

like, in KOTOR, everyone owed themselves to try bring HK-47 along at least once in a while just to hear him call everyone meatbag

and in ME, Garrus and Wrex were brilliant together.

I've heard a lot of good things about the writing of Dorian, and also Dorian's banter with either Cassandra or Iron Bull. (And Sera if you want offbeat.) I've heard some folks I know say Cole is a bit aloof and doesn't add much, and Solas doesn't add much to charisma banter or story banter, but comments on local/contextual lore a lot... (which I like a lot so if he's always adding comments about lore, maybe I'll choose to use him a lot)

Is there any stand out 'performance' most people would recommend as a party choice, either a single character or a really good duo?

thanks for the help guys, excited to play in a couple hours haha!

one last question, is there any stand out 'star' character or pair of characters that general consensus recommends in terms of story, writing, banter?

like, in KOTOR, everyone owed themselves to try bring HK-47 along at least once in a while just to hear him call everyone meatbag

I've heard a lot of good things about the writing of Dorian, and also Dorian's banter with either Cassandra or Iron Bull. (And Sera if you want offbeat.) I've heard some folks I know say Cole is a bit aloof and doesn't add much, and Solas doesn't add much to charisma banter or story banter, but comments on local/contextual lore a lot... (which I like a lot so if he's always adding comments about lore, maybe I'll choose to use him a lot)

Is there any stand out 'performance' most people would recommend as a party choice, either a single character or a really good duo?

Dorian and Iron Bull.

Most of the characters are great, really.

Ralemont

not me

Sera has the best banter, pair her with anyone and its gold. My favorite character in the game is actually Blackwall because he has such a good character arc, but he can be a bit dry for some people. If it's snark and humor you are looking for (a la Garrus/Wrex) then Varric, Sera, Iron Bull, Dorian are all great choices. Cole is very interesting but I actually think a second playthrough would be better with him since all his banter is about delving into characters' minds and being cryptic about what he finds there, including a lot of stuff that only comes up later in the game.

Which class are you planning to play as?

Chabbles

Finally got around to starting this up and played afew hours. i got through the tutorial and got a feel for all the menus, controls and what not... i was dreading a steep learning curve since i havent played the other DA games, but its not that bad. I went with warrior with sword and shield and so far so good, looks like its going to be epic. But that combat though, feels so disconnected. Dragons dogma combat is this world would be so so fucking sweet.

Thanks, guys. I'm not too sure yet my decisions. Just wanted a bit of background... I'll try just discover all the other things on my own and make natural choices. I just wanted a bit of background because I can be pretty OCD about certain choices (relationships, thrones, moral, etc) in games like Mass Effect, Kotor, Suikoden, etc :p The answers you guys gave helped a lot and I'll go from there once I start the game... reading the two OTs quick and using DA Keep has me psyched haha can't wait to play all night. Thanks again for quick replies with just enough detail to guide me in the right way but not fill me in too much :D

Seriously, Sera is a fantastic companion and a rather useful one if you didn't roll a rouge. I found Dorian to be great as well.

devilhawk

Been loving the game but hit a wall at The Winter Palace. It was the first time I really took a break. I was enjoying the side quests much more. Hopefully it goes back to being awesome again.

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
Sera has the best banter, pair her with anyone and its gold. My favorite character in the game is actually Blackwall because he has such a good character arc, but he can be a bit dry for some people. If it's snark and humor you are looking for (a la Garrus/Wrex) then Varric, Sera, Iron Bull, Dorian are all great choices. Cole is very interesting but I actually think a second playthrough would be better with him since all his banter is about delving into characters' minds and being cryptic about what he finds there, including a lot of stuff that only comes up later in the game.

Which class are you planning to play as?

- Iron Bull with everyone in your party, though him and Vivienne hold the most adorable conversations. Better than most of the characters. Heck, Iron Bull even made Cassandra laugh a couple of times. I'm surprised that he doesn't get to talk to
Morrigan, Hawke, and Allistair. Such potential wasted.

So, been crafting shit since Christmas.

Names like:
Silent Night
Silent Knight (Armor)
Bethlehem
Snow Meiser
Fire Meiser
Rudolph

I really can't wait to get to Father Time.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
How long does varric not want to talk after (adamant spoilers)
hawke dies in fade
. I need to talk to him to finish sera's quest. Also his card changed. I'm assuming i lost rep with him?

valkyre

So I was browsing around my save files on my PS4 and I was amazed when I saw that my DA:I save folder is a staggering 950 MB of save data!!!

Jesus...

Yes I have like 45 saves or so, but fuck! :D

Dries

So in preparation for this game I've decided to replay DA: Origins on PC. Could anyone reccomend any gameplay/graphics mods?

I just started playing this again. Can someone explain why my party members keep dying all the time? At the first boss fight, I was doing fine until everyone started dying. I hope this game isn't one that's "hard" because party members just suck ass.

Also, do you have to be standing in a specific spot to close rifts? I'm holding "x" sometimes, but I'm just jumping around like a fool most of the time.

SxP

Also, do you have to be standing in a specific spot to close rifts? I'm holding "x" sometimes, but I'm just jumping around like a fool most of the time.

Yeah, I've noticed that it can be quite particular about where you have to stand. I really have to look at the rift to see if the X prompt is there.

The cut scenes in this game are quite jarring compared to the gameplay.

Can't comment about anything else, but out of the 30 minutes I played last night...this stood out to me.

hitlerat

I was playing DA whem it crashed with error code CE-34878-0.
Now it always crash with that same error before menu shows up.

Tried to rebuild database and restart without any sucess .

Any help?

No ideas guys?
Just deleted game, dowloaded it again. Same error in initial loading.

:(

Tobi

Neo Member
Which specialization should I choose for my warrior? I use 2 handed weapons.

I can't decide between champion and reaver

I bought the Dragon Age: Inquisition Deluxe Edition for PS4 from the flash sale on the PS Store. does anyone else get an error when trying the launch the game? It crashes as soon as I launch the game.

HooYaH

I bought the Dragon Age: Inquisition Deluxe Edition for PS4 from the flash sale on the PS Store. does anyone else get an error when trying the launch the game? It crashes as soon as I launch the game.

The last patch corrupts the Play Go PS4 function. You can either redownload the game and Pause the Update file to play early or let the download, download the whole thing before playing.

TheYanger

The cut scenes in this game are quite jarring compared to the gameplay.

Can't comment about anything else, but out of the 30 minutes I played last night...this stood out to me.

PC version? The Cutscenes are locked at 30 on there, can google to find out how to remove that limitation but I can see how it'd be jarring. The console ones are 30 all the time so it should be fine.

First time bothering to post in the thread but here's my FDwarf inquisitor, I think she turned out pretty good.

1F3rh2z.png

Top Bottom