• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

huxley00

Wait. You can upgrade Skyhold besides adding the tower and the different garden?

Say

What

Now

I don't think so, was just noting that the upgrade options aren't even unlocked until you read the note on your desk in your quarters...well, you are missing one option, depending on mages/templars you get a third choice of upgrade later in the game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't think so, was just noting that the upgrade options aren't even unlocked until you read the note on your desk in your quarters...well, you are missing one option, depending on mages/templars you get a third choice of upgrade later in the game.

Ah, damn. I got excited. I was hoping I was missing some mission or something that let me fix all the damage of the castle. DLC, probably.

d9b

Banned
(PS4) why does this game have to connect to the servers if I'm playing a single player only? I'm not sure if it's due to the PSN issues or my very slow home internet, but the game stays stuck in the connecting to DA servers screen and I can play.

Any known fixes?
Go to options screen and disable game connecting to EA servers.

Melchiah

What's the third upgrade exactly, and how it's unlocked?

Lexxism

What can you guys recommend for a party? I'm a sword and shield warrior. I'm currently have the follwing: Solas, Cassandra, Sera, Dorian, Varric, Iron Bull, Blackwall.

Blackwall really is a walking fortress once his specialization is complete, god damn.

Really? What's skills do you usually use on him?

studyguy

What can you guys recommend for a party? I'm a sword and shield warrior. I'm currently have the follwing: Solas, Cassandra, Sera, Dorian, Varric, Iron Bull, Blackwall.

Really? What's skills do you usually use on him?

Maxed out most of his regular tanking line and pretty much the entire specialization.
He has on some ridiculous amount of guard break for enemy encounters and has a nice reheal armor/guard building weapon. He just goes out there, destroys armor and keeps himself alive,. I think it's really the weapons and armor more than anything keeping him up, but once he gets full guard it basically never comes down.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
When you guys fought the end boss did the battle end before you got their health bar all the way down? They were still at 1/4 health when the battle ended for me.

Ah, damn. I got excited. I was hoping I was missing some mission or something that let me fix all the damage of the castle. DLC, probably.

As you move forward in the game Skyhold will look more and more complete.

The gardens for example.

3. Weak characters, there just isn't anyone on the level of Shale or Sten IMO.

Crazy talk. Shale is great, but none of the other DA:O characters feel as fresh or as alive as the ones here. Recurring characters excepted.

haikira

Have no idea what warrior specialization to go for. Any clear winners?

I've been focusing on damage, as I've been using Cassandra to tank. So maybe Reaver is best?

abundant

Have no idea what warrior specialization to go for. Any clear winners?

I've been focusing on damage, as I've been using Cassandra to tank. So maybe Reaver is best?

Reaver is good for damage, just be careful with how you approach battles/manage your health vs. extra damage or you will die quickly.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Having a little issue, probably me just be stupid but I just did the mount quest in thy Hinterlands but I can't mount the horse, I press L1, select call mount but there's no A to mount popping up anymore.

jgwhiteus

When you guys fought the end boss did the battle end before you got their health bar all the way down? They were still at 1/4 health when the battle ended for me.

Yeah, the final battle seems a bit bugged - it kept on moving to the next segments before the boss's health meter was depleted. I think there are other types of bugs with that battle where if you deplete the health meter too quickly it may crash or hang, since there are scripted sequences that are supposed to occur.

haikira

Reaver is good for damage, just be careful with how you approach battles/manage your health vs. extra damage or you will die quickly.

Thanks. Going to go Reaver. =D

One more question. Anyone have any tips for the best way to level Sera and Blackwall?

Loxley

Hey guys, apologies if this has been asked to death, but I just picked up the game and was wondering if there was any sort of 'beginner's advice' I should know before going in? I'm playing a human rogue (archer) on normal difficulty if that makes any difference.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
As you move forward in the game Skyhold will look more and more complete.

The gardens for example.

Crazy talk. Shale is great, but none of the other DA:O characters feel as fresh or as alive as the ones here. Recurring characters excepted.

My Skyhold only changed when I added the garden. The broken hallway to the war room, for instance, stayed the same.

Lelianna was a great returning character, because her Alistair and Morrigan were the best out of DA:O. Sten was alright, but the direction they took the Qunari is better. Shale was great too, but the rest were just archetypes.

Nobody is DA2 was worth a shit. All just lame ass archetypes. Varric stood out because he was a dwarf without a beard and didn't use an axe. Aveline was the best, simply because she was the only character that really seemed to exist regardless of player interaction.

This game, I liked Sera best, then Iron Bull, then Cassandra. Pretty good cast this time around. They were doing something good with Cole, but they sort of fumbled the execution, same with Vivienne.

But yeah, you know what, DA:I didn't have a single Merrill or Fenris or Anders. They did a hell of a job in fixing DA2 on every level. The more I look back on this game, the better I feel about it.

studyguy

Thanks. Going to go Reaver. =D

One more question. Anyone have any tips for the best way to level Sera and Blackwall?

Just go heavy into a tanking spec with blackwall, make sure you set the taunt abilities to preferred and he'll become a literal wall for most enemies.

abundant

Sera - Archery, the AI doesn't do a good job of controlling Duel Wielders, if you want to use an exploit that makes Sera OP, then use Fire Flask + Thousand Cuts.

Blackwall - Max out his Champion skill tree and he becomes virtually invincible.

My Skyhold only changed when I added the garden. The broken hallway to the war room, for instance, stayed the same.

Lelianna was a great returning character, because her Alistair and Morrigan were the best out of DA:O. Sten was alright, but the direction they took the Qunari is better. Shale was great too, but the rest were just archetypes.

Nobody is DA2 was worth a shit. All just lame ass archetypes. Varric stood out because he was a dwarf without a beard and didn't use an axe. Aveline was the best, simply because she was the only character that really seemed to exist regardless of player interaction.

This game, I liked Sera best, then Iron Bull, then Cassandra. Pretty good cast this time around. They were doing something good with Cole, but they sort of fumbled the execution, same with Vivienne.

But yeah, you know what, DA:I didn't have a single Merrill or Fenris or Anders. They did a hell of a job in fixing DA2 on every level. The more I look back on this game, the better I feel about it.

I thought Merrill was okay if you go the rival route. You must not have had the Exiled Prince DLC. Sebastian is a true abomination.

Too bad the Inquisitor is a wet towel. They need to bring back the personality trait.

Kimaka

DA:I has the best cast of characters in any Bioware game I've played. I wasn't too keen on Varric and Leliana coming back since I didn't care for their character in the other games, but DA:I made them interesting. Dorian, Solas, and Cassandra are my favorites. Vivienne could have been, but she sadly doesn't have a lot of content. Sera is the only party member I'm indifferent towards. She just isn't interesting to talk to. Pick any option she disagrees with, she sticks her fingers in her ears and goes, "nuh uh" without trying to argue her viewpoint. I'm also not into her childish humor.

I thought Merrill was okay if you go the rival route. You must not have had the Exiled Prince DLC. Sebastian is a true abomination.

Too bad the Inquisitor is a wet towel. They need to bring back the personality trait.

They had that, but it wasn't labeled. The diplomatic options were on the top right, sarcasm in the middle, and aggressive on the bottom right. They were sometimes moved around a bit, but the placement was generally the same.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think I used Solas once. Such a boring and uppity character. Varric didn't do much for me either. Cole also didn't get much run.

I don't think I once formed a party without Cassandra. The other two spots split time between Ironbull/Blackwall and Dorian/Viv.

You know what's real dumb? Limiting your active abilities to only 8.

Its like they wanted to make it a disincentive to level up and progress your character. Its not some great tactical move, its annoying and obnoxious.

studyguy

You know what's real dumb? Limiting your active abilities to only 8.

Its like they wanted to make it a disincentive to level up and progress your character. Its not some great tactical move, its annoying and obnoxious.

The AI seems to be able to use whatever though, it's the strangest thing.

I think I used Solas once. Such a boring and uppity character. Varric didn't do much for me either. Cole also didn't get much run.

I don't think I once formed a party without Cassandra. The other two spots split time between Ironbull/Blackwall and Dorian/Viv.

Solas and Vivienne have some interesting banter. I actually didn't like Solas at first because he's ugly, but he has grown on me.

I was invited to a New Year's Eve Party, but I will be staying home and playing Dragon Age instead. There's just no chance of the party being better than this game.

studyguy

Solas and Vivienne have some interesting banter. I actually didn't like Solas at first because he's ugly, but he has grown on me.

I was invited to a New Year's Eve Party, but I will be staying home and playing Dragon Age instead. There's just no chance of the party being better than this game.

Solas just looks like a bald Nicolas Cage.
Can't unsee it.

studyguy

His profile picture looks like Nosferatu.

tumblr_nen25c6cne1si01xjo1_400.jpg

Just have him read some elfy lines and you have Solas.

studyguy

When should I leave the hinterlands to progress the story? Sitting at level 7 right now....will I be dead meat?

You can leave it now, really the only time you should pause before fighting is if you see a red skull on the enemy over the target reticle. You can still take them, but just letting the AI go willy nilly early on those enemies might be super risky.

You can leave it now, really the only time you should pause before fighting is if you see a red skull on the enemy over the target reticle. You can still take them, but just letting the AI go willy nilly early on those enemies might be super risky.

Thanks, There have been a few times in the hinterlands where I get owned by a certain few enemies, So I was worried.

Another quick question, There's a quest in the hinterlands to take out three rifts.... problem is when i try and take out the third and last one there's no button prompt and no enemies there? Is it a glitch? or is that rift to be taken out later?

Kimaka

tumblr_nen25c6cne1si01xjo1_400.jpg

Just have him read some elfy lines and you have Solas.

Ack, you're ruining Solas for me.

Thanks, There have been a few times in the hinterlands where I get owned by a certain few enemies, So I was worried.

Another quick question, There's a quest in the hinterlands to take out three rifts.... problem is when i try and take out the third and last one there's no button prompt and no enemies there? Is it a glitch? or is that rift to be taken out later?

Sounds like a glitch. I had that happen to me too and had to reload to fix it. Does it persist when you try to reload or leave and come back to the area?

sixghost

How far away from unlocking the specialization stuff am I if I just finished the
Templar Red Lyrium main story mission where you fight the Lord Seeker
. Also, do you get to pick the specialization for your party members, or just the player character?

Ovek

7Member7
Bah completed this twice now and still haven't been given the Dorian quest... boo! Fix your shit Bioware!

How far away from unlocking the specialization stuff am I if I just finished the
Templar Red Lyrium main story mission where you fight the Lord Seeker
. Also, do you get to pick the specialization for your party members, or just the player character?

You get your specs after the next main story mission.

You don't get to pick specs for your companions. They're locked.

studyguy

I havent checked will do that now, Thanks!

Glitch most likely, the game is super wonky sometimes with allowing you to click stuff in the field. Just leave or whatever. Reload try again. I've gotten stuck in dialog wheels and battle despite walking away from whoever I was interacting with.

Xeteh

Do you know what specialization you're gonna choose? Are you playing sword/board or two-hand?

Specialization doesn't matter much for your AI because they don't manage it well, so you could pick whoever for that. However, a balanced party is nice.

For Rogues you want them to have Stealth. If you're making them Archers then Long Shot (upgrade is really good but the AI might not line it up well) then go down the left side of the tree for Full Draw. Leaping Shot can do a lot more damage than Explosive, though the right has some good passives.

If you're only bringing one Mage, you really want to fill up the Storm tree. Barrier, Peaceful Aura, Dispel (use this to make Rifts so much easier). Honestly, damn near every main skill in Storm is useful. Then you can get things like Winter's Freeze and Fade Step to keep him/her safe.

If you're going for more of a DPS Mage then you'll want to at least grab Barrier (I like getting Dispel too) then going in to Fire. Immolate, then down to Fire Mine+upgrade and grabbing Clean Burn. Some people like Wall of Fire but its never been my thing. Others prefer Energy Barrage down to Static Cage+upgrade but I prefer Fire.

Warriors are weird. With a two-hand Warrior you'll want to grab some of the passives out of Sword and Shield even if you're having to waste points on skills you can't use. Turn the Blade is fantastic and Warrior's Resolve is pretty good. Charging Bull+Upgrade is amazing in the Vanguard tree. I'd pick up War Cry (and not use it) to grab Untouchable Defense. Then there's the left side of the 2h tree which is awesome.

Sword and Board is a bit easier. You go down both sides of that tree, the Warrior's Resolve is still good but not totally needed. I like to go down both sides of the Vanguard tree but don't bother picking up the final two skills on each end, I don't find them too worthwhile. The upgrade on War Cry is solid as well.

abundant

I'm playing warrior. I don't mind who I bring along. I honestly just don't really care for the combat that much so the more I can just cheese/OP my way through, the better. I'm level 10.

Use Sera and utilize the Fire Flask + Thousand Cuts exploit (Thousand Cuts is a Focus Move, yet Fire Flask ability to use a move without stamina usage works for it, essentially making one of the strongest abilities into a regular ability vs. an ability you use once in awhile).

This exploit makes Sera and anyone who picks Tempest the most OP in the game, by far. Thousand Cuts wrecks mobs in seconds and makes boss battles extremely easy. Surprised Bioware hasn't fixed it yet.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a decent crafting guide out there? Been mostly just using stuff I find but all of a sudden after hitting lvl 17 everything is starting to wreck me. I thought there was no lvl scaling but all the rifts and side quests sremember to be my lvl.

Xeteh

Is there a decent crafting guide out there? Been mostly just using stuff I find but all of a sudden after hitting lvl 17 everything is starting to wreck me. I thought there was no lvl scaling but all the rifts and side quests sremember to be my lvl.

Here is one. It covers the basics. You pretty much want the highest tier of schematics you can find and then use highest tier materials you have because that how you get the most stats out of each slot.

Good masterwork materials help.

Top Bottom