• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Ralemont

not me
Which specialization should I choose for my warrior? I use 2 handed weapons.

I can't decide between champion and reaver

Reaver. Champion is a tank specialization and 2-handed should prioritize damage. If you do a 2-handed Champion you'll end up with a char who can sort of do damage and sort of tank.

PC version? The Cutscenes are locked at 30 on there, can google to find out how to remove that limitation but I can see how it'd be jarring. The console ones are 30 all the time so it should be fine.

First time bothering to post in the thread but here's my FDwarf inquisitor, I think she turned out pretty good.
]

Nice work. Female Dwarves really look great in this game.

Booted Sera, 0 fucks given.
Her character is obnoxious.

There's definitely a reason why she's the only character you can kick after you recruit, lol. Personally I love her but I understand.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I think I'm nearing the end of Act 1 and I'd like some as spoiler-free as possible help.

I have to decide to side with the Templars or the Mages. I'd like to choose whichever option is closest to putting Mages back in Circles, but with better living conditions. The game seems to go out of it's way to paint the Templar side as the "evil" side. And siding with the Mages would let me save them from Tevinter, so in my mind, that's the "good" side. Am I looking too much into this? I want to return to the status quo without being painted as a bad person. Which side is closer to that?

Thanks.

studyguy

I think I'm nearing the end of Act 1 and I'd like some as spoiler-free as possible help.

I have to decide to side with the Templars or the Mages. I'd like to choose whichever option is closest to putting Mages back in Circles, but with better living conditions. The game seems to go out of it's way to paint the Templar side as the "evil" side. And siding with the Mages would let me save them from Tevinter, so in my mind, that's the "good" side. Am I looking too much into this? I want to return to the status quo without being painted as a bad person. Which side is closer to that?

Thanks.

I would go with
mages since their quest is infinitely more interesting.

Ralemont

not me

Thanks.

Templar side definitely isn't the evil side, there's a reason Cassandra says it's suspicious how the Lord Seeker is acting. That being said it sounds like you are more interested in the mage storyline and the quest is really good so I'd say go for that. You make a choice at the end of the mission that helps define mages' role in southern Thedas so you'll probably find that more satisfying.

Cutscene dialogue appears to not occur anymore and in regular conversation everyone has regular speech except for my inquisitor whom is relegated to subtitles only. Did that Xbox One patch ever come out?..

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Templar side definitely isn't the evil side, there's a reason Cassandra says it's suspicious how the Lord Seeker is acting. That being said it sounds like you are more interested in the mage storyline and the quest is really good so I'd say go for that. You make a choice at the end of the mission that helps define mages' role in southern Thedas so you'll probably find that more satisfying.
Yeah, just through little dialogue/notes here or there, I keep getting the impression that the Templars are pretty unruly and led by the probably red-lyriumed up Lord Seeker.

I'll probably side with Mages then. Thanks.

Lyng

I bought the Dragon Age: Inquisition Deluxe Edition for PS4 from the flash sale on the PS Store. does anyone else get an error when trying the launch the game? It crashes as soon as I launch the game.

I did the same and got that error. The fix is:

1. Delete the game
2. Restart the download
3. Pause the download of the update
4. Let the game download completely (All 44gb, use the information screen to check how far it is
5. Start the game and let it install the update when it prompts.

That fixed it for me.

Ralemont

not me
The mage one is so good, it should almost be a requirement. IMO its a key piece of the story and should be played by everyone, even if they choose the templar route.

Both routes provide important information, imo. Here's a great thread about the pros of doing the templar mission. Most interesting to me going through my second playthrough is the prospect of Corypheus being fleshed out a bit more, like his motivations and such.

huxley00

Both routes provide important information, imo. Here's a great thread about the pros of doing the templar mission. Most interesting to me going through my second playthrough is the prospect of Corypheus being fleshed out a bit more, like his motivations and such.

I think the Templar mission is good as well. The thing with the mage mission...it gives you the single, most important piece of story in the game. It's the only mission that I can think of that /shows/ you why you need to stop Corypheus, instead of just telling.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sera > All. First rogue that is actually a rogue and now a swarthy swashbuckler in the DA universe. Rolling my second character now (woman 2 hander) and I'm so totes wifing that.

My inquisitor :) I'm happy with how she turned out, both in appearance and character through the story. First time I've ever played a female main character when given the choice, it was a nice change of pace from my usual dudebro hero.

i6MOZty6peDUY.jpg

io3IFBYc1f4Pi.jpg

Arjen

I think the Templar mission is good as well. The thing with the mage mission...it gives you the single, most important piece of story in the game. It's the only mission that I can think of that /shows/ you why you need to stop Corypheus, instead of just telling.

Totally agree, really glad I did the mage mission on my first playtrough.

I did the same and got that error. The fix is:

1. Delete the game
2. Restart the download
3. Pause the download of the update
4. Let the game download completely (All 44gb, use the information screen to check how far it is
5. Start the game and let it install the update when it prompts.

That fixed it for me.

Ok, thats what I was planning on doing. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ralemont

not me
So uh, holy shit, Templar is great. I'm playing around with the MP and realized you can Wrath of Heaven --> Spell Purge to due massive AOE damage as an Eldritch detonator combo. Seriously wondering if it does more damage than a Reaver.

Kenaras

So uh, holy shit, Templar is great. I'm playing around with the MP and realized you can Wrath of Heaven --> Spell Purge to due massive AOE damage as an Eldritch detonator combo. Seriously wondering if it does more damage than a Reaver.

It's more AoE burst than a Reaver, but Reavers deal significantly more sustained damage.

Templars and Rift Mages can both perform cross-class combos by themselves. The Rift Mage version (Freeze or Paralyze -> Stonefist) isn't very impressive, though.

(Edit: There's also the Shocked + Weakened = Sleep -> Detonator combos, but those are more work.)

patchday

Just ordered the PS4 version of DA: I the other day when it was on sale. Now I have it on PC & PS4. Though the ps4 version runs smoother (my PC still running a 560ti video card).

Already got my PS4 character pass my PC one but I think I was playing almost 20 hours non-stop. o_O

Just ordered the PS4 version of DA: I the other day when it was on sale. Now I have it on PC & PS4. Though the ps4 version runs smoother (my PC still running a 560ti video card).

Already got my PS4 character pass my PC one but I think I was playing almost 20 hours non-stop. o_O

lol. I did the same thing except I previously had the Xbox One version. I have played about 20 hours in the last three days.

It just runs a lot better on PS4. Although it's a bit more buggy.

Wasted 3 hours last night trying to link DA Keep to my PS4 game :(

I never knew my PSN was linked to an Origin account. I don't own any EA games. So, when I logged into DA Keep, I used my old Origin account from 2008 that I've used for any PC EA games, such as ME3. I spent a few hours on the DA Keep and also that browser game Last Court.

And, the end, I couldn't use either of them. I totally forgot that my PSN did link to a new Origin account because I played the DA2 demo for like 15 minutes last year =/ Took me 30 minutes to even understand why... finally found a couple obscure posts on Reddit and EA customer service. But figured maybe I could just 'copy' my World State but even that took over an hour because of how buggy DA Keep was. EA customer page told me to download Origin, so wasted 20 minutes there adding my old account and my PSN-linked account. Then, logging into both in DA Keep, I had a bug where after I added the 2 accounts as 'Friends', my 'PSN account' would show my 'Old Account' on the Friends List, but not vice versa... wasted 30-45 minutes trying to fix that -- refreshing, logging in with other browsers, etc.

I then removed Old Account from the Friends list of my PSN account, to try re-add but vice versa (since only the 'account which received the invite showed the new Friend, so I thought this would help fix the PSN account showing on my old account's friends list so that I could Share the world state)...

But after I removed the old account from my Friends List, another bug occur.. I couldn't re-add. When I searched the account name, instead of appearing, it now said "cannot find", and if I did vice versa, I could search for the PSN account but when I sent a friends request, it gave an error.

So, I decided to create a 3rd account, and I would send the invites from the PSN account to the 3rd account to the old account (not vice versa) so that if only the recieving-account of the friend invite updates the friend list, I can still share the world state to the 3rd account and then to my PSN account... And that finally worked. So after like 2 hours, I finally got my custom World State on the right account.

And then I realized that also my Last Court game wouldn't be linked to my PSN account, so the 3-4 hours I spent on that yesterday were wasted, too. (I read that if you finish Last Court, there are 2 small unlocks so I'd like to maybe get them one day).

Was so excited to play at 11pm and didn't even get to start until after 2am because of how unclear and buggy all that is =/ would have been faster to just create a new world state but I thought 'sharing' it would take like 30 minutes lol but after 30m I thought it'd be done within 10m and then something else would be unclear or buggy so I had no idea it would take so long to copy just a silly file

anyhow, I ended up playing about 4 hours last night and the game is awesome haha

i love love love the combat.. love how you can fight active or also pause it, use tactics, or even just 'admire' the action... I probably spent 30 minutes just taking pictures haha game looks so good. It reminds me a lot of FF XII which is basically my GOAT FF.

I made a qunari and he's pretty awesome so far but I wonder if it'll get annoying how every cutscene has someone with their head tilted sideways and upward... I imagine the cutscenes would look better if everyone was at eye level lol it feels a bit like the cutscene camera angles were chosen for human height and qunari height not really considered because even in just the first 4 hours, I noticed it was a bit awkward... also most of the armour I find so far can't be worn by them...even considered rerolling as a human but I like my qunari and it's really a small thing

story seems good so far, the initial event isn't really explained very well, like no background about where he was, what was going on there... but I wrote that off to being a 3rd game in a series, and I don't mind -- just gives me more lore to discover

the start of the Inquisition is pretty awesome... I love Suikoden, Tactics Ogre. Mass Effect, FF Tactics, etc... so when a 'war movement' or 'building an army' starts, I always get giddy.

love the characters so far. gameplay is fun and gorgeous to look at...beautiful environments. first glance at crafting, skills, etc look good enough. very very impressed so far.

ghostjoke

Banned
Are the DRM servers or whatever down atm? PC, Windows 8.1, reinstalled origin after complete wipe + turned off firewall, etc. It keeps erroring out when I try to activate (did not seem to have problems taking my money though). I have no patience to wait around in EA's ques to learn that DRM has once more boned me from playing a game. There's a crack here that'll solve that problem. /rant

Wtf have I always had access to the woods area in the hinterlands(south west area)? I though I explored the while map but I came back and noticed a bunch of quests in an unknown area.

Euron

Just 16 more power to go until I can do the next story mission :(

Anybody have any recommendations for side quests or pretty much any way to get more power that doesn't involve closing more rifts? I've done that enough, it kinda feels like a bad grind now. Also I've set up every camp at all the locations I have. I don't want to waste my power on opening up more locations, made that mistake 2-3 times already.

The last story mission I beat was Here lies the Abyss which I enjoyed up until
the fade part, specifically the nightmare boss. That was absolutely awful. Small arena, boss had a ton of health, and there were mobs of enemies, particularly the ones that warp underneath you, spring up, and stun you. Those are the worst for me. I'm a Human Mage and I brought Dorian, Vivienne, and Iron Bull with me. I really need to stop bringing Bull into hard missions.

But In Hushed Whispers was excellent, one of the best levels I've played in any game this year. Overall, I like the game so far, it's massive and beautiful with many great characters (Varric and Bull are my favorites so far) but so much of the side content just feels like unnecessary bloat and frankly isn't fun.

Ralemont

not me
Just 16 more power to go until I can do the next story mission :(

Anybody have any recommendations for side quests or pretty much any way to get more power that doesn't involve closing more rifts? I've done that enough, it kinda feels like a bad grind now. Also I've set up every camp at all the locations I have. I don't want to waste my power on opening up more locations, made that mistake 2-3 times already.

The last story mission I beat was Here lies the Abyss which I enjoyed up until
the fade part, specifically the nightmare boss. That was absolutely awful. Small arena, boss had a ton of health, and there were mobs of enemies, particularly the ones that warp underneath you, spring up, and stun you. Those are the worst for me. I'm a Human Mage and I brought Dorian, Vivienne, and Iron Bull with me. I really need to stop bringing Bull into hard missions.

But In Hushed Whispers was excellent, one of the best levels I've played in any game this year. Overall, I like the game so far, it's massive and beautiful with many great characters (Varric and Bull are my favorites so far) but so much of the side content just feels like unnecessary bloat and frankly isn't fun.

Recruiting agents give you power, check a list online and see if there's any you missed. You can also unlock a war table mission that upon completion gives you a merchant that sells power. Doing companion quests nets you power as well. Setting up camps gives you 2 power per camp, and doing the "main" zone quest for each zone nets you power. Also, if you haven't captured all 3 keeps in the game there is that.

So here I am entering the Emerald Graves after 100 hours expecting fetch quests because the internet insists the game is just fetch quests and what is this? Where are the fetch quests? Parson's notebook? Investigation? Assassinations? I didn't ask for this! MORE FETCH QUESTS PLEASE. I WAS LIED TO.

Euron

You can also unlock a war table mission that upon completion gives you a merchant that sells power. Also, if you haven't captured all 3 keeps in the game there is that.
Wow. I can't believe I missed these (not sure about the latter but it sounds worth checking out). Thank You!

I played for over ten hours today. I think the last single player game I played this much in one day was FFX-2, over ten years ago. This game is so good. The sense of character progression is great, the crafting is interesting and useful, and the environments are the best I've ever seen. It's the type of game you want to keep playing, but are afraid of finishing.

Some Nobody

Recruiting agents give you power, check a list online and see if there's any you missed. You can also unlock a war table mission that upon completion gives you a merchant that sells power. Doing companion quests nets you power as well. Setting up camps gives you 2 power per camp, and doing the "main" zone quest for each zone nets you power. Also, if you haven't captured all 3 keeps in the game there is that.

Just three? There really should've been more. :(

Also, can someone help me figure out
how to get Celene and Briala reunited?
So far, I just know you have to
find the elven locket, bring it up to both Briala and Celene, and keep your court approval above 85 so you can have Florianne jailed.
I did all that, but it only offered me the two options but I looked on Youtube and know there's a third. What am I missing?

Melchiah

Just three? There really should've been more. :(

Also, can someone help me figure out
how to get Celene and Briala reunited?
So far, I just know you have to
find the elven locket, bring it up to both Briala and Celene, and keep your court approval above 85 so you can have Florianne jailed.
I did all that, but it only offered me the two options but I looked on Youtube and know there's a third. What am I missing?

I got two options as well, and managed to do that. Here's how...
choose the option where Briala helped you, and next her reward. Preventing Gaspard's execution instead doesn't unite them.
The consequences could be more clear in the options.

Some Nobody

I got two options as well, and managed to do that. Here's how...
choose the option where Briala helped you, and next her reward. Preventing Gaspard's execution instead doesn't unite them.
The consequences could be more clear in the options.

Thanks. I'm usually more observant but this whole mission took me out of my element. Oddly it made me LESS attentive, I guess lol.

Welp! On to the next missions!

Melchiah

Thanks. I'm usually more observant but this whole mission took me out of my element. Oddly it made me LESS attentive, I guess lol.

Welp! On to the next missions!

I had to do the conversation twice, and retreat back to an older save to get the needed item. I found the mission somewhat annoying, especially the timer in certain sections. It's been a while since I've had to use a guide to clear the objectives.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Finally finished the game at 147 hours(probably 20 or so idle hours). Completed almost everything. Didn't quite find all the mosaics, bottles of Thedas, or Skyhold customizations. There was also one landmark in Crestwood that I couldn't find. Oh and a couple of those find the location in the picture quests.

Don't think I have the energy for another immediate playthru but I am ready for an expansion!

Melchiah

Finally finished the game at 147 hours(probably 20 or so idle hours). Completed almost everything. Didn't quite find all the mosaics, bottles of Thedas, or Skyhold customizations. There was also one landmark in Crestwood that I couldn't find. Oh and a couple of those find the location in the picture quests.

Don't think I have the energy for another immediate playthru but I am ready for an expansion!

+170 hours here, all the sidequests done apart from the mosaics and bottles, and I just finished What Pride Had Wrought mission last night. It'll be close to 200 hours when I've completed the game. Dunno how exact the time is, as I'm not sure if it pauses when you're in the menu.

EDIT: I'm not going to replay the game, but I'd love to have more playable content for it.

WanderingWind

I have to be honest, I just didn't really like my initial character. Mages are fun to play in this, even if the need to play with a controller really limits your accessibility to spells, but the voice actor just didn't really do it for me. I think I'm going to like my warrior woman a lot better. Plus, as a mage, I had to leave behind Solas, Vivenne and at least one of the 3 rogues behind.

Now I can roll with Iron Bull, Sera and Solas/Vivi for most of the game. I barely know any of their party banter and I purposely ignored Solas and Vivi for most of the game for a replay. This time around Blackwall and Cassandra will be cooling their heels at the camp.

Also, I really tried to make Lili the Divine, but the game still made Cass the new pope. It doesn't seem like that's hard baked into the game, but maybe romancing her had something to do with it?

Grinchy

Banned
Mage quest really is a standout of this game.

I wish the rest of the quests weren't so far from this one's quality. I have a feeling I'm almost done with the story now and I just find myself not caring much anymore. I just haven't really been connecting with the characters or the story motivations since the mage quest.

Melchiah

I have to be honest, I just didn't really like my initial character. Mages are fun to play in this, even if the need to play with a controller really limits your accessibility to spells, but the voice actor just didn't really do it for me. I think I'm going to like my warrior woman a lot better. Plus, as a mage, I had to leave behind Solas, Vivenne and at least one of the 3 rogues behind.

Now I can roll with Iron Bull, Sera and Solas/Vivi for most of the game. I barely know any of their party banter and I purposely ignored Solas and Vivi for most of the game for a replay. This time around Blackwall and Cassandra will be cooling their heels at the camp.

Also, I really tried to make Lili the Divine, but the game still made Cass the new pope. It doesn't seem like that's hard baked into the game, but maybe romancing her had something to do with it?

I'm playing as a mage, and my team has consisted of Cassandra, Sera, and Solas/Dorian most of the game. I don't see how being a mage would restrict that.

WanderingWind

I'm playing as a mage, and my team has consisted of Cassandra, Sera, and Solas/Dorian most of the game. I don't see how being a mage would restrict that.

Two mages just seemed redundant. I never needed two mages. Party dynamics seemed to work best with 1 mage, 1 rogue and 2 warriors. 2 mages meant overlap on shields/spells.

huxley00

Sorry, just to clarify my last post a bit. Yes, the mage mission itself is far superior...yet, having the mages as allies is much less satisfying. I really prefer to save the Templars for overall storyline purposes.

Melchiah

Two mages just seemed redundant. I never needed two mages. Party dynamics seemed to work best with 1 mage, 1 rogue and 2 warriors. 2 mages meant overlap on shields/spells.

I always run with 2 mages, one support one offense. Works better than 2 warriors imho

Two mages combo worked well for me as well, especially when both had different specializations. I imagine Cassandra & Blackwall combo might work well in keeping the enemies at bay though.

huxley00

Finally just finished the game, started on hard and did a half playthrough, went back and did more of a Nightmare/completionist run. Took over 100 hours (much to my girlfriends chagrin).

Things I wish I knew right away

1. Each individual character has a limit ability and their own limit bar based on their specialization. For some reason, I thought this was an Inquisitor-only power, I'm dumb, I know.

2. You need to look at the note on your desk in your quarters to unlock the missions to upgrade Skyhold. I completely missed this for a large portion of the game for some reason.

3. War table missions have different results based on who completes them. Try to match the appropriate person with the appropriate mission.

4. A lot of the generic quests don't really matter. Closing rifts, collecting stones, constellations etc...you just don't need to do it. If you're doing the other individual missions on the map, you will have no need for extra power.

5. Two handed warriors are gimped, don't play one as your NPC...they specialize in crowd control...but most bosses are immune to crowd control actions, leaving them completely impotent in the most important situations.

1. Companion missions were well done, I enjoyed all of them, they really added to the lore.

2. Getting to
Skyhold, realizing that you barely even started the game.

3. Lots of things to do, they really do a lot of world building and have a ton of content to explore.

4. The war table is fun and adds a lot of added depth.

5. Its just a great game, I haven't put as much into a game since Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Dislikes

1. Filler content, the game also has too many books and doesn't do enough "show" instead of "tell".

2. I didn't romance anyone as I wasn't really interested in doing so. The only person that seemed remotely interesting was Dorian.

3. Weak characters, there just isn't anyone on the level of Shale or Sten IMO.

4. Even on Nightmare, the game is kind of just a button mash. I didn't even use a rogue or a knights enchanter and it was still very easy. There were only two battles in the game that I had to manually control a few of the NPCs. I miss the more tactical feel of Origins. To be fair, this game is way too big to fight every battle in the tactical mode, you'd be playing until the end of time.

Overall, a great game. They did a wonderful job of making a sequel, highly recommended.

Top Bottom