• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Kimaka

I just finished The Winter Palace and that is by far my favorite main mission. While getting approval was too easy, I felt like what I said and did mattered.

Ok, people said Josephine's ending was unsatisfying, but once I actually did it I was actually pretty impressed. Also, playing through it with a female Inquisitor kind of turns the whole thing on its head in a spectacularly fun way. Only way it could've been better is if
you could've actually participated in the duel for her
. They could've changed the battle system up to be something like Suikoden's RPS system for all I care, but that would've made it much better, for sure.

I didn't like Josephine's romance. The tone felt too off from the rest of the game. I especially hated that every flirt option with her sounded like a line from a Harlequin historical romance novel. I guess the point was that she wanted to be swept off of her feet like a cheesy romance movie, but it didn't match the character I was playing.

Cole's model sometimes didn't appear for me for whatever reason.
I had some super fucking weird bugs that would have made that DAO gif jealous. Had my MC randomly flail its arms around for like 30 seconds in the Heart Burns whatever quest cutscene before they start singing and I had Cassandra roll her eyes back and flail her head about when I had a character standing in some awkward angle below her. Also had Verric randomly do squats out in Haven for a long time when talking to him.

That happens to me with Iron Bull. I'll sometimes go into the tavern and he is just not there. The first time it happened, I thought they moved around like in ME3.

Crafting freaking sucks. I spend so many materials to make something and it either ends up without upgrade slots or I find something that is better by default from looting random enemies.

studyguy

Crafting freaking sucks. I spend so many materials to make something and it either ends up without upgrade slots or I find something that is better by default from looting random enemies.

I spent like an hour getting crafting mats for this baller ass armor schematic I found and it ended up being above my level when all was said and done. I didn't even know that could happen... The schematic doesn't even mention equipable level reqs does it?

CrazyDude

I am getting some kind of crackling/static sound that turns on and off every second. It's not from my end because I tested it on other games and systems and it is only DA:I doing it. Anyone else have this problem? It started the first time I talked to Dorian when he joined my party?

Fixed it by uninstalling the game, weird glitch.

spekkeh

Banned
I just finished The Winter Palace and that is by far my favorite main mission. While getting approval was too easy, I felt like what I said and did mattered.
Yeah that was one of the few quests that felt like you actually had influence. I liked it most too.
I didn't like Josephine's romance. The tone felt too off from the rest of the game. I especially hated that every flirt option with her sounded like a line from a Harlequin historical romance novel. I guess the point was that she wanted to be swept off of her feet like a cheesy romance movie, but it didn't match the character I was playing.
A lot of the romances felt like they were written by or for... pretty lowbrow people. Heavy schmaltz. I wanted to romance Cullen because hew was a dreamboat but Hoo boy his pandering to twelve year old girls was just too much.

studyguy

I would have liked to romance the only grounded person in this world that didn't seem like a complete nutjob.

That dwarf scout you can flirt with a ton. Harding?

Facism

Yeah that was one of the few quests that felt like you actually had influence. I liked it most too.

A lot of the romances felt like they were written by or for... pretty lowbrow people. Heavy schmaltz. I wanted to romance Cullen because hew was a dreamboat but Hoo boy his pandering to twelve year old girls was just too much.

The best bit is running into Iron Bull and him just casually saying "so i heard you want to ride the bull?"

Kimaka

I was thinking about going for him on a next playthough but his Lyrium addiction thing seemed like another hurt/comfort romance.

I would have liked to romance the only grounded person in this world that didn't seem like a complete nutjob.

She asked if I wanted to go to the tavern with her for drinks but it never happened. :(

The best bit is running into Iron Bull and him just casually saying "so i heard you want to ride the bull?"

The rejection option was pretty funny.

"You think I was interested in... sex?"
"You aren't?"
"No."
"Never mind then! Nice talking to you."

bryehn

How do I get in the falls cave (northwest) in storm coast? i tried taking solas with me and talked to him as much as i could in haven :/

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I feel like Bioware really didn't want to put in romances, because they're all just dull and most are out of character. Which is fine with me. They were getting a bit too romance novel with some gameplay for my tastes. I can safely ignore the romance crap this time around and not feel as if I missed a good chunk of the character development.

studyguy

How do I get in the falls cave (northwest) in storm coast? i tried taking solas with me and talked to him as much as i could in haven :/

Just ignore it for now, eventually it opens up after Act 1

Also is there anything lost in terms of rewards for keeping or dropping Sera?
I can't stand the character anymore. Just don't want to get to the end and be like, we're going to war, if only we had this archer and friends to help us get the McGuffin cutscene!

No one ever stops to think that Harding might be in a committed relationship already, or, shockingly enough, that she might not be attracted to you. I love it - reminds me of Aveline from DA2. You're basically coming off as the office creep who can't take no for an answer, and it gets much worse when you're her boss.

i-MgkfbbF-1050x10000.jpg

studyguy

No one ever stops to think that Harding might be in a committed relationship already, or, shockingly enough, that she might not be attracted to you. I love it - reminds me of Aveline from DA2. You're basically coming off as the office creep who can't take no for an answer, and it gets much worse when you're her boss.

i-MgkfbbF-1050x10000.jpg

Seems like most of the relationships in this game.
Cassandra's in particular is fucking weird when it starts.

Let me discuss this particularly serious topic with you, Herald.
LMAO YEAH YOU'RE SO CUTE
Please Herald we're fucking serious right now
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH YOUUUU

Some Nobody

Nah, the tone fits the game just fine. Now your character? Perhaps not. But then, when you play things a certain way you may not line up romantically with everyone. My Inquisitor is the dashing hero sort, so it fit my story perfectly.

lmao. Most romance is written like crap, though.

i-MgkfbbF-1050x10000.jpg

Wow that was quick. But at any rate, this is kind of taking things a bit far, isn't it? Technically you're in the middle of saving the world (and civil war, and a lot of other horrible crap) so romance shouldn't enter into your head at all, if you really want to take this to its natural conclusion.

danthefan

Just did the last bit of the story/main mission. Was really poor compared to the rest imo, they just didn't pull it off well.

Class game overall though, took about 75 hours to beat, and I didn't bother with the Hissing Wastes.

Kimaka

i-MgkfbbF-1050x10000.jpg

I wonder if that was a gender gated thing. I played a woman and Harding was flattered, told me her first name, and invited me to hang out at the tavern with her. I wasn't able to trigger the next part if there was one.

You know, I would love if someone would call you out for unprofessionalism. Granted, it is the only way to get into a romance, but some of the stuff the Inquisitor can say and when is highly inappropriate especially towards your subordinates.

studyguy

Surprised people are offput by the banter with Harding.
It's like the most cordial shit. Sneak small flattery in there and it's like whatever time to go piss off and fight a dragon.

I am finding absolutely nothing but rare rogue weapons and armor. I feel like it's a complete waste of time even playing as warrior.

Is there a well-known way or hack out there to just grant ones self new items?

Best items are crafted, especially if you get guard on hit stuff or thousand cuts for the master craft mat.

Here are some locations of two handers off the top of my head + armor
There's a two hander called Hayden's Razor in hinterlands in a darkspawn cave. Think it was in the west portion of the map. Good weapon for the beginning of the game.

The fallow mire has a 2 hand axe as a reward for completing the main storyline there.

Templar armor in the very south west of western approach.

You can buy aromr/weapon tier 2 schematics from the vendor in val royaeux.

WanderingWind

Seems like most of the relationships in this game.
Cassandra's in particular is fucking weird when it starts.

Let me discuss this particularly serious topic with you, Herald.
LMAO YEAH YOU'RE SO CUTE
Please Herald we're fucking serious right now
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH YOUUUU

Yeah, the Cassandra one was particularly weird. "I am serious and gruff and may be the next
Pope
of Not Middle-Earth. Now, buy me flowers silly boy. Tee. Hee."

hitlerat

I was playing DA whem it crashed with error code CE-34878-0.
Now it always crash with that same error before menu shows up.

Tried to rebuild database and restart without any sucess .

Any help?

Yeah, the Cassandra one was particularly weird. "I am serious and gruff and may be the next
Pope
of Not Middle-Earth. Now, buy me flowers silly boy. Tee. Hee."

You're acting like there isn't 30 hours of character development before all of that...

By the time she agrees to "courtship" the attraction was already mutual and communicated explicitly.

WanderingWind

You're acting like there isn't 30 hours of character development before all of that...

By the time she agrees to "courtship" the attraction was already mutual and communicated explicitly.

I'm acting like it was really, truly terribly written. Because it was. But, as I mentioned, all of the romances seemed like an afterthought this time around and I'm cool with that.

Maffis

Just beat the game.

I liked it, but 3 things.

Mounts are extremely worthless. Like, there's no point to even summon them. They are janky in controls, you can't pick/scan stuff and they remove party chatter.

Secondly. The game has too little interactions between all the partymembers. All they do is small-chat when you're out in the wilds. I wanted to see more cinematics with ALL of the characters, like the
poker game

Last, holy shit this game is fucking riddled with pointless side-quests. And if you don't do them immediately, you don't even get any exp for doing them because you're too high level. Why can't you abandon the quests if they don't give anything but 40 influence when I need 10k to the next level?

studyguy

Nicest thing I can say about the mounts is they're useful for getting over the shitty terrain if it's in your way. Just find a semi steep cliff and keep hitting jump. It's too often I get stuck on small uneven terrain or debris in this game while fighting.

I'm acting like it was really, truly terribly written. Because it was. But, as I mentioned, all of the romances seemed like an afterthought this time around and I'm cool with that.

Didn't seem any less substantive than all of the BioWare romances before with the possible exception of Jaheira, and that was more than 10 years ago. It is what it is.

WanderingWind

Mounts are definitely something they changed their minds about during development. The slow running speed, the janky controls and the way the game starts to throw unique mounts at you then...stops and forgets about them completely. You have to find a board to buy new horses and near as I can tell, there aren't any late game missions to get anything cool. I think they realized the party banter thing was going to be a deal breaker.

Or, the cut a bunch of those out for DLC purposes.

studyguy

Mounts are definitely something they changed their minds about during development. The slow running speed, the janky controls and the way the game starts to throw unique mounts at you then...stops and forgets about them completely. You have to find a board to buy new horses and near as I can tell, there aren't any late game missions to get anything cool. I think they realized the party banter thing was going to be a deal breaker.

Feel like you don't get nearly as much interaction with the world on a horse too. Like the ping is already shitty in terms of item detection, on a horse you basically seem to lose all sense of anything around you as nothing seems to generate unless you get off the horse. I tended to stay off them as much as possible.

Wow that was quick. But at any rate, this is kind of taking things a bit far, isn't it? Technically you're in the middle of saving the world (and civil war, and a lot of other horrible crap) so romance shouldn't enter into your head at all, if you really want to take this to its natural conclusion.

Haha, I was mostly kidding - I flirt with Harding just like everyone else. Much more so with my current character who's a lesbian dwarf. I'm glad the option is there, and I still think it's funny that it either goes totally over her head or she chooses to ignore it to save you the embarrassment.

Willing to bet this is the case. There are still exotic mount slots left open after having the Bog Unicorn and buying the Nugalopes. There's nothing else in the game to fill them with.

Surprised people are offput by the banter with Harding.
It's like the most cordial shit. Sneak small flattery in there and it's like whatever time to go piss off and fight a dragon.

You're probably right. Honestly a lot of the "flirty" dialogue in this game doesn't come off as flirty at all, so much as friendly/supportive/joking. If you removed the icons that designated intent I doubt anyone would know, at least in Harding's case.

WanderingWind

Feel like you don't get nearly as much interaction with the world on a horse too. Like the ping is already shitty in terms of item detection, on a horse you basically seem to lose all sense of anything around you as nothing seems to generate unless you get off the horse. I tended to stay off them as much as possible.

Yeah, agreed. It's nice to have only these small complaints about a BioWare game for a change though. I'll take crappy horses and afterthought romances to DA2's attempted murder of a franchise and ME3's ending shenanigans. I really hope this bodes well for ME4. DA:I is slowly teaching me to love BioWare again.

studyguy

Yeah, agreed. It's nice to have only these small complaints about a BioWare game for a change though. I'll take crappy horses and afterthought romances to DA2's attempted murder of a franchise and ME3's ending shenanigans. I really hope this bodes well for ME4. DA:I is slowly teaching me to love BioWare again.

It's a definite step forward for me as well.
I was incredibly negative heading into this and while there are problems abound for me, it's still a different set of problems than I would have expected or cared about. If they can fix their broken ass AI and janky PC controls along with a bevy of smaller issues, then it's gravy.

It's a definite step forward for me as well.
I was incredibly negative heading into this and while there are problems abound for me, it's still a different set of problems than I would have expected or cared about. If they can fix their broken ass AI and janky PC controls along with a bevy of smaller issues, then it's gravy.

What is the issue you're having with party AI? I was having a lot of trouble keeping my guys alive until I fiddled with equipments/tactics/behaviors.

I'd like to know so I can help fix it. Honest.

studyguy

What is the issue you're having with party AI? I was having a lot of trouble keeping my guys alive until I fiddled with equipments/tactics/behaviors.

I'd like to know so I can help fix it. Honest.

Just let it go bruh, I've already resolved myself to having to micromanage everything for the AI. I get you like this game but the AI is simply poor.

patchday

Just let it go bruh, I've already resolved myself to having to micromanage everything for the AI. I get you like this game but the AI is simply poor.

Yeah calling the AI "poor" is a bit much but everyone has a right to complain bout something.

I need to tweak the behaviors to get my ranged guys to avoid danger. I find that one of my AIs gets killed a bit too fast due to staying in range

Also I find it hard to get around the terrain in areas like Hinterlands
due to all these hazards.

Lucreto

Is there a way to prevent the rogues backstab. My two handed warrior keeps losing all his guard and half his HP per attack. He keeps dying every time I face a dual dagger Rogue.

Is there a way to prevent the rogues backstab. My two handed warrior keeps losing all his guard and half his HP per attack. He keeps dying every time I face a dual dagger Rogue.

Use CC to lock the rogue down first. Or if your reactions are good, combat roll out of his backstab attack.

Hystzen

Scout Harding is next villain in expansion after all attempts of flirting she snapped and gained enough power to create her own inquisition of females against sexual objectification.

shame she not a full romance option she damn cute and enjoys casually flirting with you. They should made her a dwarf specific romance that way more people would roll dwarf

Scout Harding is next villain in expansion after all attempts of flirting she snapped and gained enough power to create her own inquisition of females against sexual objectification.

shame she not a full romance option she damn cute and enjoys casually flirting with you. They should made her a dwarf specific romance that way more people would roll dwarf
We all know Bioware hates dwarves.

Finally got PSN to download the game yesterday. So far early impressions are positive. The gameplay looks fun and the world seems very large. I don't have a lot of story yet, but it has so far done a good job pulling me in. Graphics are a bit of a mixed bag. A lot of model's and textures look nice but the framerate seems choppy and the aliasing, my god, the aliasing is so bad it seems like it is going to cut my eyes.

Should have bought it on PC, but decided to go for PS4 since so many said controls were optimised for console.

Anyone ever figure out what's up with the magical barriers that say only a specific element can breach them but can apparently be dissipated by any element, even their own?

Silexx

Anyone ever figure out what's up with the magical barriers that say only a specific element can breach them but can apparently be dissipated by any element, even their own?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bug that they're just going to leave be since it would needlessly encumber players at this point.

Top Bottom