• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Moofers

Are the shard quests worth doing? I sort of don't feel like hunting them all down. I might reconsider if it opens up some quest down the road or bears a great reward. Thoughts?

I spent like 70 hours just getting to Skyhold

Wait, what?!

I just got to Skyhold, and I tried to get everything accomplished available to me before proceeding. Except for a few rifts in the Hinterlands, and about half of the Fallow Mire left to do (I did the main quest and a few side ones), everything else was completed. I played on Hard and it took me roughly half that amount of time to get to Skyhold. What the heck were you doing for 70 hours?!?!

Are the shard quests worth doing? I sort of don't feel like hunting them all down. I might reconsider if it opens up some quest down the road or bears a great reward. Thoughts?

It does bear rewards the more of them you collect, once you find the place to turn them in. Whether they are necessary or not probably depends on what difficulty level you play on. I imagine they're a necessity for a Nightmare playthrough, and they're certainly helpful on Hard.

I think so.

Rewards (off top of my head):

After obtaining all shards, you get 20 resistance to electrical, fire, cold and spirit damage. Several thousand in gold. Some nice elemental resistance gear, rune making materials, and a few other goodies.

In all, I'd say all shard collecting takes between 1 and 2 hours of real time to do.

Chitown B

OK when characters LEAVE the party or game, they need to drop their equipment in your inventory. This is bullshit. Some of my best stuff is now gone due to a character leaving because of end game reasons.

Just finished "Wicked Hearts and Wicked Eyes," pretty interseting and fun quest! Don't think I got an ideal outcome though:

Celene lives and despite trying to aid Briale, she was only pardoned of her crimes, but exiled.

So now I'm on "What Pride Had Wrought," is this the end of the game? How much would you guys say I have left?

I'm only level 16, and "What Pride Had Wrought" suggests 16-19, so I'm probably gonna do sidequests and slay dragons for a few hours though.

I feel like I'm rushing through the game, even if I don't mean to. I'm 40 hours in, and I've been doing most of the main quests at the latest possible level they recommend, and always have way too much power. Yet it seems like I'm not going to come close to the 70-80 hours a lot of people are taking to finish the game.

OK when characters LEAVE the party or game, they need to drop their equipment in your inventory. This is bullshit. Some of my best stuff is now gone due to a character leaving because of end game reasons.

Go back to an earlier save?
Wait, what?!

I just got to Skyhold, and I tried to get everything accomplished available to me before proceeding. Except for a few rifts in the Hinterlands, and about half of the Fallow Mire left to do (I did the main quest and a few side ones), everything else was completed. I played on Hard and it took me roughly half that amount of time to get to Skyhold. What the heck were you doing for 70 hours?!?!

Picking Elfroot.

Just finished "Wicked Hearts and Wicked Eyes," pretty interseting and fun quest! Don't think I got an ideal outcome though:

Celene lives and despite trying to aid Briale, she was only pardoned of her crimes, but exiled.

So now I'm on "What Pride Had Wrought," is this the end of the game? How much would you guys say I have left?

I'm only level 16, and "What Pride Had Wrought" suggests 16-19, so I'm probably gonna do sidequests and slay dragons for a few hours though.

I feel like I'm rushing through the game, even if I don't mean to. I'm 40 hours in, and I've been doing most of the main quests at the latest possible level they recommend, and always have way too much power. Yet it seems like I'm not going to come close to the 70-80 hours a lot of people are taking to finish the game.

For reference, I've done everything in the game, am at 110 hours, level 24, around 250 power, and am just starting What Pride Had Wrought.

Kimaka

Changed party banter system to be less random to prevent extra-long periods where no conversations would occur.

Great. Maybe I'll finish my second playthrough now. I missed a lot of character development my first time.

Paganmoon

So, 18 hours in spoilers:
My game either crashes when selecting default champion of Kirkwall, or when selecting custom champion the dialog options disappear and I can run around the world... any way of fixing this without using an even older save?

You have about 5 hours of main quest left if you rush it. It's not the last mission.

Getting to level 15-16 is pretty quick. I finished the game at level 23 and 95 hours. Did you visit all available areas yet ?

Varna

Wow. The AI is pretty awful... but this Pride Demon boss fight in "Here lies the Abyss" Is just ridiculous.

Basically the they will not engage the enemy at a distance and just stick to my leader... my leader is attacking from a range... It's pretty fucken awful trying to manage the entire fight from the tactical view.

God, I hate the second Vitaar you get. The yellow one. And you don't find a new one for a while.

The next ones I got look even worse (level 15 and 16). Also, they're pretty low-res on PS4.

Are these things really useful ? I like my character better without pixelated shit on her face.

Wow. The AI is pretty awful... but this Pride Demon boss fight in "Here lies the Abyss" Is just ridiculous.

Basically the they will not engage the enemy at a distance and just stick to my leader... my leader is attacking from a range... It's pretty fucken awful trying to manage the entire fight from the tactical view.
Go into the character record menu and then the last tab. Set everyone to follow themselves so that they don't stick to you.

Wait, what?!

Just a lot of everything I guess... I never skipped any conversations (so no reading of subtitles) and listened to them all. Read most of the Codex... Spent a lot of time just exploring, and also a lot of time customizing. I would spent 1-3 hours some nights crafting gear, customizing my 'armor sets' to match the terrain, weather, or mission... re-specing a new 'template', and just in general preparing for every time I went out. I'd try personalize all my characters to a 'theme' every time I'd go into a zone or mission. I'd craft new gear and dress differently for the rainy Storm Coast than the Hinterlands... and I also did a lot of just pure exploring and fighting. I found the action melee combat really fun when you're 2-4 levels underleveled, with no potions, and basically need to tant, block or parry to survive.

I only had a dragon go unresponsive once, but it was an annoying experience. It was the one in the Western Approach, and I got him all the way down to 0 HP. Instead of falling, he dashed away and just froze there. I had to reload. I put it on Casual to kill him faster the second time, and he died properly then, but man...way to take the wind out of an otherwise amazing moment.

Glad they fixed that issue.

Ralemont

not me
my AI has always revived...?

It's never worked once for me in Tactical Cam. I'll tell someone to revive and as soon as I start time again they'll switch to attacking an enemy. I've always had to run over myself and do it in third-person.

This patch is great, particularly the upgrades for Tactical Cam.

Its so annoying that they published the list but did not put it live. :(

I'm just guessing but maybe it'll be out today? They usually patch things on Tuesday and if they've put out the notes they're done with the patch.

It's never worked once for me in Tactical Cam. I'll tell someone to revive and as soon as I start time again they'll switch to attacking an enemy. I've always had to run over myself and do it in third-person.

This patch is great, particularly the upgrades for Tactical Cam.

I can't tell you how many damn times my damn party members wouldn't revive somebody in a dragon fight because I was in Tactical view.

But after the last patch broke the game, there is no way I'm letting Origin install it before I hear from other people that it doesn't break things.

Are there any cool armors for qunari warriors that aren't just color variations on the first two you find at the start of the game?
Basically every character just has the same 2-3 'personal' armor sets... so yeah, for Qunari Warrior it's just those 3 scale mail armors... the pure scale suit, the vest version, and the long coat version. All the other characters basically just have 2-3, too... The bigger difference is they can get a bit better upgrades (especially Blackwall and Iron Bull) that really feel like more serious upgrades, or the human-trained cast can wear all the warden, templar, royal, etc looking armor, too.

I usually don't like buying Deluxe editions but it was really worth it for DA INQ because I basically just wore the Deluxe edition Dragon armor the entire game. Wish my Inquisitor could just wear Iron Bull's armor... and at least one actual helmet.

Ralemont

not me
I can't tell you how many damn times my damn party members wouldn't revive somebody in a dragon fight because I was in Tactical view.

Another instance of where the dumbing down of AI Tactics is the real culprit behind many of the combat's issues. One of two major complaints about this game.

Pls Biower. Shitty AI destroyed games like Ni No Kuni and Dragon Age was the last bastion of good AI (since you could do everything yourself). Bring it back, I don't care if it's a pain in Frostbite.

Basically every character just has the same 2-3 'personal' armor sets... so yeah, for Qunari Warrior it's just those 3 scale mail armors... the pure scale suit, the vest version, and the long coat version. All the other characters basically just have 2-3, too... The bigger difference is they can get a bit better upgrades (especially Blackwall and Iron Bull) that really feel like more serious upgrades, or the human-trained cast can wear all the warden, templar, royal, etc looking armor, too.

I usually don't like buying Deluxe editions but it was really worth it for DA INQ because I basically just wore the Deluxe edition Dragon armor the entire game. Wish my Inquisitor could just wear Iron Bull's armor... and at least one actual helmet.

That's a little disappointing, as those armor sets look pretty boring. The longer coat one looks alright, but I've found tons of human-only and elf-only armor that looks so damn sweet. Feels like qunari inquisitors really got the short end of the stick here. One more thing to look forward to in the next playthrough I guess.

For reference, I've done everything in the game, am at 110 hours, level 24, around 250 power, and am just starting What Pride Had Wrought.

Yeah, I just haven't wanted to be super over leveled for any of the main story content, so I've been doing them within the level ranges they suggest.

Yeah, I just haven't wanted to be super over leveled for any of the main story content, so I've been doing them within the level ranges they suggest.

Yeah, that is a concern. I did everything in the game before What Pride Had Wrought and Wicked Hearts and basically strolled through all the enemies. That's how I like to play though - I feel gratified when my efforts to level and obtain/create equipment allows me to walk through enemies. Other than dragons, I haven't been challenged in a long time (since below level 10).

Nightmare will be completely different though.

heringer

I wish you could change sub classes on the fly.

Imagine how fun it would be to be an archer in a moment, and depending on the situation you just take out your daggers and suddenly the gameplay completely changes.

I wish you could change sub classes on the fly.

Imagine how fun it would be to be an archer in a moment, and depending on the situation you just take out your daggers and suddenly the gameplay completely changes.

Those aren't really sub-classes, but skill tree decisions. There isn't anything stopping you from putting points in both categories.

Top Bottom