• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Any feedback on the patch? I'm guessing performance is the same.

I was perusing the BioWare forums and it seems pretty benign. The biggest thing people are saying is that the walking toggle on PC isn't as good as the community made mod thats been out that also allowed jogging and that it seems the patch screws up the armor rating on crafted shields. And I guess if you're using the 60 FPS command line, the walking toggle can screw up and make it so you're stuck walking.

I'm kinda happy that I completed the game before patch 3. Until more mods/trainers/save editors come out, I won't put myself through a second run that lacks item duping and infinite inquisition points. I'm not sure if they fixed the chest infinite re-spawn exploit. Can anyone confirm?

I'm kinda happy that I completed the game before patch 3. Until more mods/trainers/save editors come out, I won't put myself through a second run that lacks item duping and infinite inquisition points. I'm not sure if they fixed the chest infinite re-spawn exploit. Can anyone confirm?

Just use cheat engine and you have unlimited items and money and thus unlimited power once you reach that merchant in Skyhold.

Those aren't really sub-classes, but skill tree decisions. There isn't anything stopping you from putting points in both categories.
I do that with my Warriors now that they're Lv23 or so... Gave all the DPS one shield attack and all the tanks one 2H attack.

Can't switch weapons mid-combat though so I can understand what he means... letting loose with a bow and then taking out the daggers up close, etc.
That's a little disappointing, as those armor sets look pretty boring. The longer coat one looks alright, but I've found tons of human-only and elf-only armor that looks so damn sweet. Feels like qunari inquisitors really got the short end of the stick here. One more thing to look forward to in the next playthrough I guess.
It is but there is one plus side that qunari warrior Inqs look the coolest in cutscenes maybe... everyone else is helmet-less where as your qunari has cool (or at least unique) face paint, and potentially big gold or silver armor on his horns that matches his armor. Between the gold armor on my Inquistor's horns, and the face paint, I thought he looked much more 'Kingly' than any of the other Warriors in cutscenes. The face paint, too, made him appear especially 'Herald-esque' (in a weird curious sort of way).

Paganmoon

So, 18 hours in spoilers:
My game either crashes when selecting
default champion of Kirkwall,
or when selecting custom
champion
the dialog options disappear and I can run around the world... any way of fixing this without using an even older save?

Patch did not fix this, but found a workaround, Fasttravel away and fasttravel back and you can now continue on the quest without having to load an older save.

Thought I'd mention it incase someone else got the same bug.

Wow, still can't believe I've racked up 60 hours in this and I've cleared out most of the beginning Hinterlands quests, did some sidequests in the Swamps and Storm Coast but had to go level up some more because I kept getting wiped by the rifts and demons. Feels like I barely know anything really going on story wise and like I've barely scratched the surface.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
I saw nothing in the patch notes in regards to the texture flickering/problems with SLI, so I suppose this is on Nvidia's end and the only thing that will fix it is a new driver? Bioware seems to refuse to comment on it ever since release.

I won't do my replay of this game until they've fixed it so it would be good to know when there's finally a solution.

Wow, still can't believe I've racked up 60 hours in this and I've cleared out most of the beginning Hinterlands quests, did some sidequests in the Swamps and Storm Coast but had to go level up some more because I kept getting wiped by the rifts and demons. Feels like I barely know anything really going on story wise and like I've barely scratched the surface.

At the rate you're going at, you're probably looking at another 100 hours or so. Dang.

I do that with my Warriors now that they're Lv23 or so... Gave all the DPS one shield attack and all the tanks one 2H attack.

Can't switch weapons mid-combat though so I can understand what he means... letting loose with a bow and then taking out the daggers up close, etc.

No weapon switching is an odd choice. I don't get why they took that out.

Just use cheat engine and you have unlimited items and money and thus unlimited power once you reach that merchant in Skyhold.

Hm, kinda sounds like Game Genie for PC games... might make a second run a little more interesting.

GorillaJu

This game is much more fun to play on Nightmare than on Normal. I actually use the Tac Cam now and it allows me to win fights that I otherwise wouldn't (like killing the level 12 Elite Apostate Widris in Fallow Mire at level 8)

Also using potions a lot more and it's opened up a new element to the game. Jar of Bees is super good but went completely unused in my first run through on Normal.

Wish they'd patch in a way to modify your character appearance before I end up beating this run because I totally fucked up my skin color choice. Doubt it'll get put in soon enough though, at the rate I'm going.

I think the problem with Normal is that the level scaling can be rather low, and so, similar to a game like Final Fantasy XII, you can so easily out-level the story. Normal can still be pretty challenging if you're correctly leveled, maybe a little under-leveled... I remember going into south western Hinterlands or also south western Emprise du Lion, maybe 2-3 levels lower than the mobs (and also only using the potions I left camp with), and it was pretty damn challenging with my non-mage party makeup.

But by about Lv10-15 the story, even when I was within (barely) the recommend level bracket, was pretty easy. And by Lv20, I basically wasted the dragons with my eyes closed (the last 2 in Empise du Lion offering a bit of challenge but mostly because I ran out of resistance/regen potions lol). Dragonrage Reaver spam was just chaining constant 5000-10000 crits sometimes lol... once you get around 18-19, itemization scales so fast. Some of the dragons would have taken 2-3 minutes if they had stood still.

So I think Normal could have worked if they way to scaled Lv1-10 was kept. I've been trying Nightmare and I'm not sure if I like it more because unlike just keeping yourself undereleveled (so mobs mostly just have better raw stats like HP, armour, etc), Nightmare really seems to scale up their ability use, too, and that extra scaling variable puts a lot more importance on your specs. Which is great, on one hand, but it also limits your freedom more... I really like pure melee parties (and also AOE DPS Warriors) but so far in Nightmare I've felt pigeonholed into certain specs, notable Barrier and single-target DPS.

Which, again, is not bad! It's a great option to have. I think I enjoyed my pure melee party more on Normal though, and just fighting mobs 2-4 levels higher than me more than equal level mobs on Nightmare. This is postLv10 though so I'm sure just like on other modes, postLv10 will also scale differently.

In any case, no matter how how you achieve your 'difficulty' (via the Difficulty setting, keeping yourself undereleveled, using underpowered specs, giving yourself rules for using potions to increase scarcity, etc), the game is soooooo much more fun with a sense of difficulty and scarcity, and general survival. All my favorite moments from Hinterlands to Emprise du Lion were when I was outleveled, empty of potions, deep away from a camp and refusing to turn back to restock, and just hanging onto dear life with hoping your Parry or Shield Block aren't broken haha

I've read in some other threads that people have shit on the combat or content of this game, but I dunno... I just absolutely love the raw combat and 'war effort' progression mechanics. 150 hours in and I'm still enjoying finding new camps or shutting demon gates (though granted, I think after today I will have all of them done). I've never had so much fun doing "repetitive filler content" haha. Such a fun game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
How do you use focus in this game? I've tried looking it up but people just say turn it on. I've looked everywhere but there's no place to 'turn it on'. And how do you build it when it's 'turned on' and which button do you press? (PS4). This game is far too complicated for its own good and ALL THAT FRIGIN' talking is driving me nuts. I just want to PLAY! I keep switching from enjoying it to hating it and turning it off. What about the areas? I played The Hinterlands and was really looking forward to playing and competing other areas but since then the areas have been a quarter of the size of The Hinterlands and some are only inside cities (which I find mind numbing boring).

Ralemont

not me
How do you use focus in this game? I've tried looking it up but people just say turn it on. I've looked everywhere but there's no place to 'turn it on'. And how do you build it when it's 'turned on' and which button do you press? (PS4). This game is far too complicated for its own good and ALL THAT FRIGIN' talking is driving me nuts. I just want to PLAY! I keep switching from enjoying it to hating it and turning it off. What about the areas? I played The Hinterlands and was really looking forward to playing and competing other areas but since then the areas have been a quarter of the size of The Hinterlands and some are only inside cities (which I find mind numbing boring).

First in order to even get a Focus bar you need to take a Focus ability in the character's specialization tree; it's outlined in Yellow. So Knight Enchanter's focus ability is Resurgence, for example. It's always in the middle of the tree.

Once you take the ability you'll unlock the Focus bar, which builds when you use combos, and to a lesser extent when you do damage in general. Once you get a solid yellow line above your ability bar you know your Focus bar is full and you can use the Focus ability. Simply select the ability on your hotbar like any other ability.

There are plenty of big areas in the game, such as the Western Approach, Hissing Wastes, etc. Once you get to Skyhold you can unlock a bunch of them.

Using a focus ability requires it to be mapped to to your battle menu. The default focus ability for your inquisitor looks like a special symbol. For other focus abilities, they're in the specialization section and are in the middle of that section. To know when you can use focus, there is a bar on the right side, outside the area where your current equipped abilities are shown. If you want bigger areas, just wait until later in the game. You'll see it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
First in order to even get a Focus bar you need to take a Focus ability in the character's specialization tree; it's outlined in Yellow. So Knight Enchanter's focus ability is Resurgence, for example. It's always in the middle of the tree.

Once you take the ability you'll unlock the Focus bar, which builds when you use combos, and to a lesser extent when you do damage in general. Once you get a solid yellow line above your ability bar you know your Focus bar is full and you can use the Focus ability. Simply select the ability on your hotbar like any other ability.

There are plenty of big areas in the game, such as the Western Approach, Hissing Wastes, etc. Once you get to Skyhold you can unlock a bunch of them.

Using a focus ability requires it to be mapped to to your battle menu. The default focus ability for your inquisitor looks like a special symbol. For other focus abilities, they're in the specialization section and are in the middle of that section. To know when you can use focus, there is a bar on the right side, outside the area where your current equipped abilities are shown. If you want bigger areas, just wait until later in the game. You'll see it.

Thanks but I think I'm going to be selling this soon. I find it overly complicated and clunky. I enjoyed the first 20 hours but the last 13 hours have felt really boring I don't like crafting at all. You are basically crafting in the dark unless you jot down what you crafted before, and I'm not prepared to do that. What's even worse is you can end up using something rare and that's that. Everything is so spaced out too. Walk there, walk here, walk over there again, climb stairs (and hope to GOD you can avoid conversations) just to do the simplest things. There's no exploration either. I really thought The Hinterlands was a preview of better to come but since then there's been no exploration at all. The areas are too small to even consider exploring.

Ralemont

not me
Thanks but I think I'm going to be selling this soon. I find it overly complicated and clunky. I enjoyed the first 20 hours but the last 13 hours have felt really boring I don't like crafting at all. You are basically crafting in the dark unless you jot down what you crafted before, and I'm not prepared to do that. What's even worse is you can end up using something rare and that's that. Everything is so spaced out too. Walk there, walk here, walk over there again, climb stairs (and hope to GOD you can avoid conversations) just to do the simplest things. There's no exploration either. I really thought The Hinterlands was a preview of better to come but since then there's been no exploration at all. The areas are too small to even consider exploring.

Yeah it's safe to say that if you don't enjoy talking to people then you should probably sell it. The game is quite dialogue-heavy.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Is there a list of GAFfers on PC/Origin playing the DAI mp? I like the mp, but I really miss the huge mp community for Mass Effect 3 on Live - it made the mp so much more fun to play. Origin mp for the PC version is such a wasteland for me - just randoms who rush through. :(

Here's my Origin nick if you'd like to play PC mp - feel free to add: *****loi

EDIT: man, I hate the Neogaf automasking thing sometimes. My Origin nick: K omboloi (remove the space between the K and "omboloi").

I don't understand why you bought a Dragon Age game and expected little conversations. And using something rare isn't that big of a deal because you can get more later. It also increases your stats anyway. Walking is a fair complaint. You were asking for larger area and once you get to the biggest one in the game, you'll feel like you've been walking for an eternity.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't understand why you bought a Dragon Age game and expected little conversations. And using something rare isn't that big of a deal because you can get more later. It also increases your stats anyway. Walking is a fair complaint. You were asking for larger area and once you get to the biggest one in the game, you'll feel like you've been walking for an eternity.

Is there an area bigger than The Hinterlands? I keep liking the game and then hating the game. I just played a section where you have to talk to guests at a ball (can't remember what it was called) but Christ my toes were literally curling.

Is there an area bigger than The Hinterlands? I keep liking the game and then hating the game. I just played a section where you have to talk to guests at a ball (can't remember what it was called) but Christ my toes were literally curling.

It's hard to say actually as my reasons for feeling disappointed with the game are almost polar opposite to yours (way too much combat & fetch quests, not enough gabbing). You have just passed what I feel is the last really good dialogue bit in the game and there are I think a handful of
(3-4)
main (ie green) quests in the game left. If you're level 12 or so I'd start the Dragon hunting as they are the best combat in the game and if you leave them to the end of the game as I did when you're 21+ they're largely a doddle.

Chitown B

I think the Hissing Wastes is larger. It's a TON of sand.

Just came across a bug during the dancing scene in Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts, where whatever I replied to the Duchess resulted in negative court reputation (I used the same replies as my first playthrough, the "good" ones).

I lost like 40/50 reputation points, and wasn't able to get enough back to unlock the ending I wanted for this quest.

Btw, anyone ever unlock the doors in the "La Serrure" room right before the end of the quest ? I never got enough statuettes to do that and I wonder if there's anything of value behind those doors.

wolfhowwl

Banned
"I remember when I first booted up Dragon Age: Inquisition on my (not exactly wimpy) PC. The framerate was unexpectedly low, and there were stutters and crashes. Moreover, the controls were awkward as all get-out. Months later, some problems have been solved, but many still linger. PC players are getting fed up.

Over the course of the past few weeks, Kotaku's gotten numerous emails about what PC players find to be the sorry state of Dragon Age: Inquisition on their platform of choice. Moreover, there's a PC community concerns thread on BioWare's forums that spans nearly 500 pages. As you might expect from something that hundreds of people have dedicated thousands upon thousands of words to, the outrage stems from, let us say, a few factors."

http://kotaku.com/months-later-dragon-ages-pc-version-is-still-disappoin-1681031116

Ralemont

not me
Does anyone have tips for surviving in Nightmare mode? I'm making it but every Fade Rift is a struggle.

Craft all your stuff, put demon runes on your weapons if you have the mats. On Rifts use Cassandra with Wrath of Heaven + Spell Purge combo to clear groups of demons quickly. Dispel and Spell Purge will also disrupt demons from being summoned for the second Rift Wave if you use it near the summoning spots. Focus fire Terror demons first as they can be knocked down which disrupts their warping and screaming, then take out ranged spirits, then Despair demons last. Don't forget your Inqisitor's Focus ability if you have it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Craft all your stuff, put demon runes on your weapons if you have the mats. On Rifts use Cassandra with Wrath of Heaven + Spell Purge combo to clear groups of demons quickly. Dispel and Spell Purge will also disrupt demons from being summoned for the second Rift Wave if you use it near the summoning spots. Focus fire Terror demons first as they can be knocked down which disrupts their warping and screaming, then take out ranged spirits, then Despair demons last. Don't forget your Inqisitor's Focus ability if you have it.
I'm still super early in the game (level 3 or 4) and will be getting Dispel on the next level up.

I've already started crafting armor for my team and find the rest of the game hard but manageable. It's just that the rifts are already a huge difficulty spike every time and I feel like I'm missing something.

GorillaJu

You aren't missing anything. You just need to be more strategic than you're used to. Use Winter's Grasp or Fireball (whatever it's called) to crowd control. They're very useful. First thing I did on my rogue is level up to Smoke Bomb. Get Turn the Bolt on your warrior.

"I remember when I first booted up Dragon Age: Inquisition on my (not exactly wimpy) PC. The framerate was unexpectedly low, and there were stutters and crashes. Moreover, the controls were awkward as all get-out. Months later, some problems have been solved, but many still linger. PC players are getting fed up.

Over the course of the past few weeks, Kotaku's gotten numerous emails about what PC players find to be the sorry state of Dragon Age: Inquisition on their platform of choice. Moreover, there's a PC community concerns thread on BioWare's forums that spans nearly 500 pages. As you might expect from something that hundreds of people have dedicated thousands upon thousands of words to, the outrage stems from, let us say, a few factors."

http://kotaku.com/months-later-dragon-ages-pc-version-is-still-disappoin-1681031116

Well at least some member of the gaming media is shining a light on how poorly BioWare has handled the PC version of the game. Which considering how nice Origins was on PC, should make BioWare feel straight up embarrassed.

ColdRose

Well at least some member of the gaming media is shining a light on how poorly BioWare has handled the PC version of the game. Which considering how nice Origins was on PC, should make BioWare feel straight up embarrassed.

Not saying lots of people don't have issues or anything, they clearly do, but Origins ran horribly for me on PC, right from the start. Crashes, corrupted saves, texture glitches, a memory leak problem that I tried to fix with a large address aware patch, but after a while the problem came back. Origins is literally unfinishable for me because it crashes constantly in Denerim. Meanwhile Inquisition runs beautifully, I've had no frustrations at all with the technical side of things.

Ralemont

not me
Man I thought I was going through speedy lol, I guess not judging by some of the posts in this thread.

It w0uld have been such a mindfuck, though appropriate, if they had saved the "Dragon Age Inquisition" title flash for when you get to Skyhold. "Wtf I'm 20 hours in and it was the intro?!:

So apparently you don't even need a full party to kill Dragons on Nightmare. Level 12 Blackwall solos them :lol
Blackwall is an absolute beast. He rarely dies and he usually saves me from sticky situation. I can't do the same with Cassandra. She dies fast even though she has nearly identical abilities.

Finaj

So, I've done every romance option available with Sera so far. The most recent one was going on the roof with the cookies. However, now I'm at the final mission and I have no more romance options and I can't seem to get anymore.

Any help?

Blackwall is an absolute beast. He rarely dies and he usually saves me from sticky situation. I can't do the same with Cassandra. She dies fast even though she has nearly identical abilities.
Both my Cass and Blackwall are absolute tanks that basically just never die and revive my 2 Reavers when they spam too much Dragonrage lol

They revive up and can go back to spamming 5-10K crits while my 2 tanks try to get them bodyguarded and at the mob's flank haha and if they both die I'm still good cuz the two tanks never die

Top Bottom