• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

bbd23

any tips for leveling up an archer? I've just been leveling up the "archer" subclass, should I be topping up a class completely before moving or mix and matching?

also how easy is easy. I kind of just want to focus on the main storyline and not the side quests on my first playthrough, will easy allow me to do that

i still died on easy but its going pretty well

For mages, any opinion on Rift vs. Necromancer specialization? I'm not interested in Knight Enchanter but I'm wondering if one of the other two has proven to be more fun/interesting.

I was doing well on hard mode but something was lacking playing as the rogue only 30hrs in so I quit and re rolled as a mage. Hope I did the right thing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think I can complete the game at this point, but there are seriously like 4 areas I haven't explored. Three of which I haven't set foot in. So, I guess my completionist side will win and I'll run through those areas on my way to the ending.

i still died on easy but its going pretty well

yeah I am upto the bit defending haven with the catapults and its recommended level is 8-11 and I am lvl 8 but my team and I keep dying, the games too good and too long to get frustrated with sidequests and at dying so I am trying to minimize the issues.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Ring of Pain drains your stamina so you want to turn it off if for example you're trying to loot some corpses that are dead in the ring. Or if you get knocked down while in your ring, you want to turn it off because you're just pointlessly losing stamina while trying to get back up. Can't say about the effect not showing up for you - that's never happened to me. But you'd know if it's working or not since your stamina drains pretty quick with it up.

As for a guide...I semi-posted one a couple posts up. Upgraded Charging Bull + Devour is good as it negates the massive stamina consumption. Follow that with Ring of Pain -> Dragon Rage if you just want to use Reaver skills. I only really used Dragon Rage to burst down mobs that aren't effected by knockdown/panic. Hurlock Alphas, Pride Demons, Ogres, Behemoths, etc. Otherwise Charging Bull + Mighty Blow is very effective, as is the AoE Taunt + Whirlwind. This is of course for 2h warriors.

There's a passive in the 2h tree that regains stamina per hit, so if you're good at managing HP/Stamina you can drop down a ring of pain and keep it up the entire fight by switching between skills and the default attack. As Dresden mentioned there are heal on kill bonuses that comes in handy for Dragon Rage abuse. You also want to keep in mind that Reavers do more damage the lower their HP is. So in general I kept my reaver at slightly below half health with a full guard bar.
This is really invaluable! Thanks so much. It's hard to know what you're looking at without context. I wasn't sure if sp and mp skill trees were the same or even analogous.

I'll soak all this in with a mind toward my eventual prestige so I can be sure to spec properly.

Ushay

For mages, any opinion on Rift vs. Necromancer specialization? I'm not interested in Knight Enchanter but I'm wondering if one of the other two has proven to be more fun/interesting.

Playing Rift Mage at the moment, really enjoying it. Using Stonefist is great, and the weakness debuff can be fantastic on enemies that are affected by it. Learn to use the combo for stonefist, and fire mine + pull of the rift. Veilstrike is ok for crowd control, but needs a damage component.

Does anybody have two Spirit Mark abilities on their Dorian? One of em is toggled on and off and needs 50 mana, and the other has 0 mana cost.

I'm confused.

Playing on hard and trying to kill a level 20 dragon with a party of level 19/20 and it just isn't happening. Once it hits 50% and starts endless summoning dragonlings I wipe immediately. Main is an archer, knight-enchanter mage and two warriors, tank and dps. I'd swap out the warrior dps for another sword and board because bull spends the entirety of the fight dying but the fight as it is drags into the 15 minute mark every attempt so I think my dps is too low as it is?

Not sure if I need to craft specific armour and weapons for these fights or go back to the drawing board with respecs? I dunno, difficulty wise everything else has been peachy but with these fights it's making me wonder if I'm doing some shit seriously wrong.

Kenaras

Does anybody have two Spirit Mark abilities on their Dorian? One of em is toggled on and off and needs 50 mana, and the other has 0 mana cost.

I'm confused.

The second one is for canceling the "raise dead" effect, when an enemy dies while under the effect of the first one. The enemy isn't considered actually dead until this happens, so there's numerous situations where you'd want to do this.

Mudo

I just walked through a tunnel in the Hinterlands and got one shotted by a dragon when I came out the other side.

LOL same exact thing happened to me. I must have been like level 4, mosied through the cave, one of my party members said something like "up she goes"...and then I died. That was pretty shocking.

Also, I'm about 40 hours in and level 10. Just went to Oasis for the first time, and looking at the above Zone Level list just makes me sad. I mean, there is Fallow Mire, Oasis, Exalted Plains, more Hinterlands, Crestwood and Western approach that I can do right now. I have only done Hinterlands from that list and like 10 minutes of Oasis last night. WHAT TO DO?!! Will the enemies be trivial and some zones just pointless then? Do they scale with your level? I am in love with this game and want to do everything but if I'm 1-shotting enemies several levels below me, that will be a snoozefest..

huxley00

I love most of the areas, there is one I just don't really like at all
Oasis
anyone in the same boat? I just think the scenery is kind of boring and I just really don't feel like taking the time to unlock the content in the area with so much other stuff going on in the game.

supergiz

I have a 2 handed warrior, sword and shield warrior, rogue and fire mage in my group. At the end of the first act was very hard for me to get through as it took multiple retries on hard mode.

The problem is my rogue gets absolutely murdered when he goes in close on big two hand weapon enemies. With those kind of enemies, are you supposed to not even bring rogue in to attack?

Valus

LOL same exact thing happened to me. I must have been like level 4, mosied through the cave, one of my party members said something like "up she goes"...and then I died. That was pretty shocking.

Also, I'm about 40 hours in and level 10. Just went to Oasis for the first time, and looking at the above Zone Level list just makes me sad. I mean, there is Fallow Mire, Oasis, Exalted Plains, more Hinterlands, Crestwood and Western approach that I can do right now. I have only done Hinterlands from that list and like 10 minutes of Oasis last night. WHAT TO DO?!! Will the enemies be trivial and some zones just pointless then? Do they scale with your level? I am in love with this game and want to do everything but if I'm 1-shotting enemies several levels below me, that will be a snoozefest..

Someone posted a level guide per zone on the last page. Use that for reference as to what you should be doing. Enemies do scale, but only to a certain degree. For example - in my first playthrough I went to the Hissing Wastes at around level 21. The enemies there were level 19. I just went there again on my second playthrough while level 10, and the mobs were level 16. So there is some scaling but not that much. So yes, it is possible to overlevel and overpower everything in the game. If you don't want to do that, I would suggest rotating side missions with the main quest and do them during the recommended levels.

Can you respec your companions? I think I fucked up a few...

Yes you can, just buy the purple accessory from your forge and put it on them. It will break and their skills will be reset.

Oasis
anyone in the same boat? I just think the scenery is kind of boring and I just really don't feel like taking the time to unlock the content in the area with so much other stuff going on in the game.

Shard collecting on that map is a main in the ass due to its multiple levels. I didn't mind the scenery that much to be honest. But I did get a headache figuring that place out.

I have a 2 handed warrior, sword and shield warrior, rogue and fire mage in my group. At the end of the first act was very hard for me to get through as it took multiple retries on hard mode.

The problem is my rogue gets absolutely murdered when he goes in close on big two hand weapon enemies. With those kind of enemies, are you supposed to not even bring rogue in to attack?

You have to combat those guys from the back. You will be murdered otherwise. Even then there are some arcing swings that can still hit you. Parry and/or Evade is good in those cases.

gogosox82

You could make him an archer rogue. They seem to do much better. If your in melee range and you don't build guard/have a barrier, it makes playing melee a pain especially since the game auto levels your character so you couldn't even make your rogue tanky enough to take some hits of you wanted to.

Kenaras

Oasis

Believe it or not, there actually are some gamers who enjoy pointless scavenger hunts. That zone serves no purpose but to please them. Completionists will also do it, but most of them will complain the whole time about being "forced" into it.

Dual dagger rogues can fight bruisers by spamming Parry. (There's probably other tactics you can use, but that one is simple and effective.) The problem is the AI isn't very smart about it. You can try setting Parry to a "preferred" tactic, but I don't know if that works. You also have three melee characters in your group composition, which is an unbalanced setup. Bruisers will be problematic with that.

Done. Was awesome.

Had the end level glitch out and had to restart it. The first cutscene during the boss fight wouldn't load. It hung on the loading screen for a few minutes, then went back to where we were with the boss just stuck in this weird animation. I could do damage, but his health wouldn't drop to zero (it'd go down most of the way and then stop with like 1 HP left). Worked fine on second try, luckily.

Took 70 hours according to Origin.

GAF consensus on the game? really thinking about getting it on PS4. Do you guys like the combat?

Its my favourite game of the year enjoying the combat for the most part but cycling through spells was better done in ffxiv. Also I cant get my head around tactical views quirks. I think origins did it better.

tcrunch

yeah I am upto the bit defending haven with the catapults and its recommended level is 8-11 and I am lvl 8 but my team and I keep dying, the games too good and too long to get frustrated with sidequests and at dying so I am trying to minimize the issues.

For this quest at the end, when you have to aim the one catapult, I have both times resorted to running away if my party starts to wipe, usually with a rogue (for stealth). If you run to the other side of the village your party auto-rezzes, if not the bodies will magically teleport to your closer location and you can bring them back yourself. Then return with everyone at 1 pixel health and pull one or two enemies at a time, it works pretty good and is pretty safe. If you can lead enough enemies away from the catapult you can even have one character crank it while the rest of the pt is off somewhere else dying.

It's a lot easier if you chose the
mage path
earlier too, because then the boss is slow/melee-only, but it's not a necessity.

I do feel bad doing it this way, but it works for L8s on Nightmare.

Flunkie

Banned
Can you respec your companions? I think I fucked up a few...
Yup. Just buy a Tacticians Renewal from the merchant near your crafting bench and use it on the companion you want to respec (it's an amulet that breaks as soo as you equip). The first one costs 1 gold.

Kinthalis

Banned
GAF consensus on the game? really thinking about getting it on PS4. Do you guys like the combat?

Playing it on PC, but other than better graphics and 60 FPS, gameplay is dentical, specially since I'm playing with an xbone gamepad.

The game is really good. Really, really good. It really does an almost entire 180 from DA2 and offers up fun (if a bit actiony) combat that can be very tactical (in hard mode or higher difficulty), a much more interestig and cohesive plot line, IMHO, a set of vast and varied areas to explore, and companions and other characters that are compelling and feel "Real" for lack of a better term. Just very well written.

It's not perfect. I think there are some pacing issues, I think it could have been more tactical, specially on normal difficulty. And I would have liked to see even more interactions with characters. Also, it's a bit buggy on all platforms, though I havent's experienced anythign game breaking on PC yet (knock on wood).

But, I heartily recommended as a big DA:O fan. Exploration in this one takes me back to Bioware's genre defining games like Baldur's gate 2.

gogosox82

Hmm, I will say that the combat mechanics are ok, but the enemy placement and encounter design is pretty bad. Most of my enjoyment comes from the story, lore, and world building.

huxley00

Believe it or not, there actually are some gamers who enjoy pointless scavenger hunts. That zone serves no purpose but to please them. Completionists will also do it, but most of them will complain the whole time about being "forced" into it.

I'm totally a completionist but this game broke me, there is no way I'm doing some of this stuff haha

Mudo

This game will be my GOTY 2014. It has issues (cutscenes jittery, some glitches, stiff animations) but personally, I LOVE the massive zones, quests, gorgeous visuals at every turn, customization of characters etc. I like the combat but the AI isn't great. I play a mage as my main and use a Warrior, Mage, Archer for my other 3 so it's been fine difficulty wise (playing on hard). I have not used tactical view since the first hour of the game and have been playing it more like an action-rpg and it's been fine. Chaos, spells flying everywhere, insanity - but it's fun. Probably not the deepest thing in the world but it's fine for me.

Anyways, I can not recommend this more highly if you think you might be interested already. Best money I've spent on a game this year.

P.S. it also has gay romances which is AWESOME (for me) <3 <3

Sulik2

I think I am in the minority that strongly dislikes the combat. DA:O and 2 had better combat systems in every way conceivable. The story and world building are fantastic though. Stick it on easy and just hold right trigger through the combat if you are not enjoying it, the rest of the game is probably worth experiencing.

neoism

man I'm lovein this game so far it took awhile to click with me just got to SkyHold...
I swear though one think that I fucking LOATH man whoever designed these fucking menus @_@ soooo bad.. I HATE how everything takes a little while to load while changing characters.. just overall fucking terribad design in the menus.. :/ Still though liking the story so far.. but man those menus. Makes crafting and making amour and weapons a chore.

Carbonox

I hate using my Inquisitor (2h Warrior) cos Vivienne is a wrecking ball of Knight Enchanter goodness. Cassandra is my partner in crime cos she's an absolute fiend as an S&S tank. Vivienne and her can deal with anything even with the other 2 characters dead.

My other slot is used up by Sera. Hated her at first, now I find her to be one of the funniest characters I've seen in a long ass time. The banter between her, Vivienne and Cassandra is amazing.

Killed my third dragon too.

Closing in on 90 hours. Still got a couple of Inner Circle missions to go and a few story ones I'd imagine. Madness. Game is rammed full of things to do.

Why can't
Morrigan
join my party though. She's a babe and I guess ridiculously powerful? My only experience with the previous two games is in the form of the Keep so I know fuck all about her outside of that but it implied there's more to her than meets the eye? Give me more pls.

Citadel

I have to admit, the whole plot in regards to *Elven Gods Spoiler*
Mythal and Flemeth
was really interesting and a good "reveal", so to speak. The cameo was great, and left me asking more questions than answers... But that's to be expected with
Flemeth

I would pay someone to write a comprehensive guide to all meaningful, useful, and overall interesting quests in this game.

For example (and probably one of the most obvious) - Crestwood's "Still Waters" quest. That had an interesting story behind it, as well as some interesting side quests you found along the way. I particularly liked having Cole along for that one.

I'd love to know all of the quests that lead you to interesting locations like Valammar (in the Hinterlands):
15863125221_609134e9d0_o.jpg

I'm sure there are other locations like that in the game that could easily be missed. That was tucked away behind a waterfall, and I had no quest to take me there. I stumbled upon it by accident (coincidentally looking for treasure behind a waterfall, but this was the wrong one).

Some of the areas are just too big to explore and find all this stuff :(

Lady Gaia

Shit. Not caring much about graph theory last semester has finally caught up with me :<

Now, what was the algorithm for finding an Euler's cycle in a graph?

Once you realize that
all intersections with an odd number of connecting lines need to be start or end points
everything else is fairly trivial.

Enco

Never got into DA: O because I found the story boring. I generally don't like grindy RPGs or ones with fetch quests.

Will I like this?

NoWayOut

Never got into DA: O because I found the story boring. I generally don't like grindy RPGs or ones with fetch quests.

Will I like this?

DA:I has lots of filler/fetch quests, but most of them are side quests and can be skipped if you want.

Dead

well not really...yet
I would pay someone to write a comprehensive guide to all meaningful, useful, and overall interesting quests in this game.

For example (and probably one of the most obvious) - Crestwood's "Still Waters" quest. That had an interesting story behind it, as well as some interesting side quests you found along the way. I particularly liked having Cole along for that one.

I'd love to know all of the quests that lead you to interesting locations like Valammar (in the Hinterlands):

I'm sure there are other locations like that in the game that could easily be missed. That was tucked away behind a waterfall, and I had no quest to take me there. I stumbled upon it by accident (coincidentally looking for treasure behind a waterfall, but this was the wrong one).

That area is linked to a companion quest lol

Here Lies The Abyss

just. wow.
Easily the best questline in the game. The places it takes you and the factions involved really make it a standout. I love how it seamlessly incorporates the sidequests of Crestwood and the Western Approach into the narrative and gives you a reason to do those quests besides making it off your list.

Hystzen

Blackwall banter

Bull: so Blackwall what's most amount of limbs you removed in one strike

Blackwall: we Grey Wardens find fighting sacred not disrespectful

Bull:yeah....me too

Blackwall: ....do heads count

Bull: of course they do

Blackwall: then three

Bull: NICE that shoulder cleave right? Always makes me feel good doing that

I love how sly Blackwalls humor is he one few characters who back chats to Viv

Eldren

This is probably a silly question but does the choice of Skyhold upgrades have any affect on companion approval? Like choosing the infirmary improves Cole's approval or whatever. I suspect it doesn't but I'm trying to maintain good relationships with a couple of my favourite characters and I don't want to screw anything up.

SJRB

Gold Member
What's the best specialization for a sword/shield warrior? I talked to the three trainers but their descriptions are so vague I have no idea what the hell they're even talking about.

Dresden

Really? It wasn't when I found it.

Which one?

Varric

What's the best specialization for a sword/shield warrior? I talked to the three trainers but their descriptions are so vague I have no idea what the hell they're even talking about.

champion - ubertank
templar - paladin
reaver - dps

champion is kinda overkill but it makes it easier to turn totally invincible.

Kenaras

I think the game does a pretty good job with this. In the quest list for each zone, the quests are sorted by relative importance: Plot quests at the top, rifts and camps in the middle, fetch quests at the bottom, and requisitions last. Still Waters was a standout among the zone plot quests, but I thought all of them were worth doing. (I'm sure many would disagree when it comes to Hissing Wastes, though.)

Companions generally have two quests each: one fetch quest and one plot quest. Advisors have a single questline each. (Cullen's looks like a fetch quest at first glance, but leads into a more involved questline.)

Kimaka

Six hours in and just made it to the Hinterlands. :x This is going to take a while.

They really need to patch this. Getting a few crashes, audio stuttering, and had a bug in the beginning where I was stuck and couldn't close the rift. Fake Edit: Can't use the world map to travel. Maybe it is the game's way of telling me to use the war room. idk
Edit 2: Somehow got access to the entire map. Yeah... I'm reloading to a previous save in case the game breaks further. Good thing I save obsessively.

I'm enjoying it so far but some of the design decisions are really baffling. The inventory UI is difficult to navigate, pinging to discover loot is awful, and I absolutely hate having to hold a button to attack. Why don't they have auto attack on PC?

Top Bottom