• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Valus

Anyone else hear about the infinite inquisition points, infinite skill points, and/or item duping/gold farming in-game cheats?

I tried them all last night and they worked lol. I wonder if Bioware plans on patching them out.

Your damage shouldn't be too bad, though what you want to do asap is go to Val Royeaux(just go do the story stuff and close a couple of rifts in hinterlands to get the power) and buy the tier 2 dagger schematics at the vendor there. Then craft a basic set of daggers with iron/whatever leather you have, doesn't really matter much, but it'll help immensely as your damage will skyrocket and you'll be able to perform your rogue role.

This was a great tip. Game is even easier than when I played hard last time. I managed to get a shatter combo that hit for almost 2000 damage.

Valus

This was a great tip. Game is even easier than when I played hard last time. I managed to get a shatter combo that hit for almost 2000 damage.

I went to Hissing wastes yesterday at level 10 with my Rogue solo and got through the entire tomb of Fairel quest without fighting a single thing with the help of cloak. You get a tier 3 dagger schematic for free (amongst other great schematics.) So now my Rogue is handling 2 daggers that have around 350 dps at level 10. Needless to say it's amazing. I recommend everyone to do the same. You can unlock the Hissing Wastes as soon as you get to Skyhold.

emag

Gameplay-wise I feel you're either giving too little credit to DD or too much to DA:I. Even if I only control one character in DA:I the gameplay is nowhere near as fun or fluid as DD and I also never felt like my companions were holding me back either. DA:I needs an identity. This inbetween-er combat is holding back a fantastic game.

Dragaon Age: Inquisition is to Dragon's Dogma what God of War is to Devil May Cry or Lords of Shadow is to Bayonetta.

Perhaps they're the same conceptually, but the quality of DD's combat and enemy design is leagues beyond DAI's. Of course DAI has strengths where DD has weaknesses as well (dialog, characters, and world foremost among them).

molnizzle

So do requisitions just go on forever? I've done like 20 of them in Crestwood and the keeps giving me them again...

molnizzle

They are infinite and there's little reason to do them unless you desperately need power.

Well some of them are cool to see back at Skyhold, but I guess you only need two do them once to see that. Wish the game would have told me that they went on forever, I figured they would run out eventually.

So I did the tower upgrade last night, and I couldn't tell where any upgrades had even taken place. With the courtyard upgrade it was obvious. Any of deas?

The tower is near Cassandra and the garden is through the first door on your left when you enter the main building.

Laekon

I just picked this up last night and played just to the first demon battle. I've seen there are 9 companions but how many are in your party at any time? Also based on the companions banter and quest is there any class that works best for the main character? I'm interested more in the story then the combat.

molnizzle

I just picked this up last night and played just to the first demon battle. I've seen there are 9 companions but how many are in your party at any time? Also based on the companions banter and quest is there any class that works best for the main character? I'm interested more in the story then the combat.

You have 4 characters in your party at a time and there are 3 primary classes, so pick whatever class you want. No matter what you're going to have at least 2 of the same class in your party. Pick what appeals to you.

I went to Hissing wastes yesterday at level 10 with my Rogue solo and got through the entire tomb of Fairel quest without fighting a single thing with the help of cloak. You get a tier 3 dagger schematic for free (amongst other great schematics.) So now my Rogue is handling 2 daggers that have around 350 dps at level 10. Needless to say it's amazing. I recommend everyone to do the same. You can unlock the Hissing Wastes as soon as you get to Skyhold.

pxh1bX9.png

Reavers, I need your advice. How does the class play? Do you prefer 2h or s&b? Do you tend to let someone else tank for you? How's survivability in, say, a Dragon encounter? Favorite complementary abilities and gear?

Welcome to Altoholics Anonymous. I'm Poodlestrike, I'll be your sponsor.
I didn't ask for this.

It's just that the more I play this character, the more I realize I'm making all the same choices. I want to play someone new.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

Every class/specialization is represented by your 9 companions so you don't have to worry about missing out on any role you might want in your party. Just play whatever you think seems the coolest.

Reavers, I need your advice. How does the class play? Do you prefer 2h or s&b? Do you tend to let someone else tank for you? How's survivability in, say, a Dragon encounter? Favorite complementary abilities and gear?

I played it as a 2hander and had Cassandra do the tanking. It seems like you can get good results using S&B as well. It's fairly simple to play seeing as your main damage source is Dragon Rage but having to manage your health keeps you on your toes. An encounter usually involves using Charging Bull initially. This is great, causes knockdown for a follow-up whatever the attack from the 2h is called. With the added bonus it makes any follow up move cost no stamina. This is useful for getting off Devour since it gives you a pretty significant amount of health back but costs a butt load of stamina. Made more difficult by the fact that Circle of Pain drains your stamina (being in the circle boost all the Reaver skills). It also has a super short charge time. Great for getting regular Devours or Warcry to build that guard up. I had Vivienne with the revive ready just in case which allows you to be less conservative (you get a damage bonus for being low health).

It's pretty fun. Very balls to the wall. I don't think I could have personally played the other two specializations. Too boring looking.

Valus

My first playthrough on normal was with a 2h reaver. I used Ironbull (also 2h reaver), Vivienne (fire mage), and Sera (archer). I did not know about the brokenness of Knight-Enchanters and Tempests at the time so I cleared the content without abusing them.

Between Iron Bull chain grappling mobs and myself Charging Bull other mobs, I never felt the need for a regular tank. We controlled the battlefield through sweet chaos. I killed all the dragons without much of a hitch. I would use Iron Bull's limit break and focus on one leg till it got knocked down then switch to my main character and use his limit break (with 2 rampage rings) and usually that would take it from half hp to 0. Never had a problem.

As for abilities and gear? My warrior had Mighty Blow, Whirlwind, Taunt, Charging Bull, and the four reaver abilities as actives. All upgraded. Simple yet effective. My final weapon was the unique greatsword, the Sulevan Blade. I made a post about how to get it and why it's so great a couple pages back.

Is it worth going shard hunting to open the "The Cold Endured" temple?

really don't wonna lol

It's not worth it.

What's the best skill tree to go down for Cassandra for dragon killing? I've got Templar maxed, but I just want to know if the other two are more useful.

Dresden

The thing to remember about reavers is that you'll be holding down the button for dragon rage the rest of your game. That's all you'll ever do and your setup and your gear will reflect this. For random encounters you don't even need ring of pain down, just dragon rage your way through the entire pack and come out with decent health if you had +heal on kill on your weapon.

They're very effective, but honestly I wish I'd gone templar on my 2h warrior because it'd at least be a little more interesting.

Dany

Banned
did some googling
Haven - L1-4
Hinterlands - L4-7, L8-11, L12+
Val Royeaux - L4-6
Fallow Mire - L8-10, L12-15
Storm Coast - L7-11, L13-15+
Forbidden Oasis - L8-12, L5-15, L18-20
Skyhold - L10-12
Crestwood - L10-12, L13+
The Western Approach - L10-13, L14+
The Exalted Plains - L10-13, L13-16
Emerald Graves - L14-16, L16-20
Emprise du Lion - L16-19, L19-22
The Hissing Wastes - L19-23

Currentl in exalted plains, so boring, not even getting xp.

The thing to remember about reavers is that you'll be holding down the button for dragon rage the rest of your game. That's all you'll ever do and your setup and your gear will reflect this. For random encounters you don't even need ring of pain down, just dragon rage your way through the entire pack and come out with decent health if you had +heal on kill on your weapon.

They're very effective, but honestly I wish I'd gone templar on my 2h warrior because it'd at least be a little more interesting.

I don't think i've heard a single good thing about 2H warriors. At least if you're going nightmare :(

They're either too boring or die too easy.

Regretting asking for this for Xmas. Im dying to play this game!!!!

Laekon

You have 4 characters in your party at a time and there are 3 primary classes, so pick whatever class you want. No matter what you're going to have at least 2 of the same class in your party. Pick what appeals to you.

Every class/specialization is represented by your 9 companions so you don't have to worry about missing out on any role you might want in your party. Just play whatever you think seems the coolest.

I'm not worried about party balance as much as banter and side quest. For example both the shield warrior characters look like they could be a little boring. Plus since you control all the characters in combat and leveling the main characters combat style doesn't seem that important.

Dresden

I don't think i've heard a single good thing about 2H warriors. At least if you're going nightmare :(

I think they're fine on nightmare pre-reaver, just needs more consistent damage outside of knockdowns.

I'm not worried about party balance as much as banter and side quest. For example both the shield warrior characters look like they could be a little boring. Plus since you control all the characters in combat and leveling the main characters combat style doesn't seem that important.

The third warrior can easily go sword and shield to tank, if you wanted him to.

Menome

The amount of lore and reading material in this game is insane. Overwhelming I would say, to the point that it is just too much to go through it all.

In the beginning I was reading every piece of Lore I encountered, now , I really feel burnt in this aspect and I am not reading any more of these huge codexes I acquire.

Do you guys read all this stuff?

The Lore is what attracts me to Dragon Age above other fantasy settings. The Fade, Mages/Templars, Blood Magic, disenfranchised elves, may not be wholly original but together they create a world that's more interesting to me than the other available fantasy settings at the moment.

tcrunch

Well most people I've read are talking about Bull being a huge moron and dying 3 seconds after you send him in.

For the 2H warrior player...
-Grapple Chain (pulls enemies to you, knockdown on upgrade)
-Mighty Blow (insta knockdown)
-Pommel Strike (can be used to close distance on enemies and then instastun)
-Whirlwind (upgrade causes each revolution to do more damage)
-Earthquake Strike (if you upgrade, without it's terrible)
-Panic Horn (forget the actual name, AOE panic)
give you the best "hordes of lesser enemies" control in the game.

Finally Combat Roll when you need to get out quick.

The diff between 2H warrior and something like a mage is that a mage gets to take from a lot of different trees, whereas a warrior doesn't get as many abilities (there's an ability in the 2H tree that relies on you being the tank...lol?), so in that respect it may be less interesting. In addition, 2H suffers on bosses and other enemies that aren't affected by statuses like knockdown or panic (alpha hurlock...) whereas a mage's ice spell works on almost everything and a mage doesn't even have to be close to the enemy to do damage or use abilities.

I enjoyed playing 2H warrior but it has some severe disadvantages if you use an AI for it.

Also I didn't do any of the spec quests because I was lazy and eager to finish my first playthrough, so I can't comment on those but it would give you an extra means of getting more abilities. People mistakenly think 2H warrior is only for dd, but it's actually a battlefield control/trapping unit the way I played it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll sell some of the Valuables (need to), but 'spec' on a few until the burden becomes too great :)

What an awful tab of the Inventory, though. Like, the whole Inventory is passable as it is, but they really dropped it with the these maybe-junk / maybe-not-junk / I-dare-you-to-fuck-it-up items.

Ralemont

not me
The Lore is what attracts me to Dragon Age above other fantasy settings. The Fade, Mages/Templars, Blood Magic, disenfranchised elves, may not be wholly original but together they create a world that's more interesting to me than the other available fantasy settings at the moment.

I love the lore too, but speaking as the guy who wrote up the lore thread, I don't read most of the codices in my first playthrough. I'm just too impatient to see more of the game. Second playthrough and beyond I'm more relaxed and tend to read everything.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Can anyone post a good Reaver guide? I'm always stealthy types. Ring of pain in particular doesn't show very often in multi it seems. Sometimes it'll cast a huge red ward, sometimes not.

What's it mean by toggle? It doesn't stay long, why would you care to dispel it?

karasu

I just walked through a tunnel in the Hinterlands and got one shotted by a dragon when I came out the other side.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just walked through a tunnel in the Hinterlands and got one shotted by a dragon when I came out the other side.
Similarly I walked out, saw a giant shadow on the ground, went back into the tunnel a smidge to get a better look while my party stayed put, and next thing I knew everything but me was dead and on fire.

bbd23

I just did the winter palace mission...that was a fun 3 hours. I don't think ive saved so many times before rofl.

elelunicy

Shit. Not caring much about graph theory last semester has finally caught up with me :<

Now, what was the algorithm for finding an Euler's cycle in a graph?

Starting at vertices with an odd number of edges (if there's one)?

If I'm not mistaken, there's no way you could get it wrong if you have the right starting point (unless you go through a path that's not in the original graph, of course).

I love the lore too, but speaking as the guy who wrote up the lore thread, I don't read most of the codices in my first playthrough. I'm just too impatient to see more of the game. Second playthrough and beyond I'm more relaxed and tend to read everything.
I tend to pass on things I already have a decent grasp on line anything relating to history of magic. I'm always sure to read a new entry of I discover a new enemy type, though.

Aurizen

We're on the same boat! lol. I've been reading up on this game, I'm gonna play on Normal, I want to use Iron Bull because he looks so cool.

Valus

Can anyone post a good Reaver guide? I'm always stealthy types. Ring of pain in particular doesn't show very often in multi it seems. Sometimes it'll cast a huge red ward, sometimes not.

What's it mean by toggle? It doesn't stay long, why would you care to dispel it?

Ring of Pain drains your stamina so you want to turn it off if for example you're trying to loot some corpses that are dead in the ring. Or if you get knocked down while in your ring, you want to turn it off because you're just pointlessly losing stamina while trying to get back up. Can't say about the effect not showing up for you - that's never happened to me. But you'd know if it's working or not since your stamina drains pretty quick with it up.

As for a guide...I semi-posted one a couple posts up. Upgraded Charging Bull + Devour is good as it negates the massive stamina consumption. Follow that with Ring of Pain -> Dragon Rage if you just want to use Reaver skills. I only really used Dragon Rage to burst down mobs that aren't effected by knockdown/panic. Hurlock Alphas, Pride Demons, Ogres, Behemoths, etc. Otherwise Charging Bull + Mighty Blow is very effective, as is the AoE Taunt + Whirlwind. This is of course for 2h warriors.

There's a passive in the 2h tree that regains stamina per hit, so if you're good at managing HP/Stamina you can drop down a ring of pain and keep it up the entire fight by switching between skills and the default attack. As Dresden mentioned there are heal on kill bonuses that comes in handy for Dragon Rage abuse. You also want to keep in mind that Reavers do more damage the lower their HP is. So in general I kept my reaver at slightly below half health with a full guard bar.

Xevren

For multi I don't even use ring of pain. Just devour, dragon rage and unstoppable. 4th choice is whatever you want. Ring of pain just isn't worth the stamina cost.

Is there an easy resource that breaks down all the stats? I want to plan out all my skill builds.

edit- I don't remember what DEX, STR, Willpower, Cunning etc.. do or how they breakdown numerically.

any tips for leveling up an archer? I've just been leveling up the "archer" subclass, should I be topping up a class completely before moving or mix and matching?

also how easy is easy. I kind of just want to focus on the main storyline and not the side quests on my first playthrough, will easy allow me to do that

Dead

well not really...yet
54 hours in, completed wicked eyes, wicked hearts

I got 99/100 court approval at the end. FUCK. Missed the trophy

Top Bottom