• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Would this game hit me in the feels like KOTOR did? I mean in terms of world immersion and caring about upgrading my characters? I've had a hard time caring for RPG games for a while now.

I just got Iron Bull... So cool...
Any tips/build him as 2H guy? What skills tree?
I'm a archer rogue...

Thx

That dude is chugging all my potions on Nightmare even with end-game equipment. I even gave him Guard on Hit armor, and some stuff from the Vanguard tree. I think I'm going to switch him to Sword and Shield, honestly. 2H Reavers are very squishy.

This game is too much for me. I really regret buying it, even on sale. I'm sure it's great, I just can't get into all the complexities of it.

is there a way to manually get out of the fight stance? sometimes I'll run past a random enemy that I don't feel like fighting, and I'll end up walking super slow with my sword out for what feels like forever.

SJRB

Gold Member
is there a way to manually get out of the fight stance? sometimes I'll run past a random enemy that I don't feel like fighting, and I'll end up walking super slow with my sword out for what feels like forever.

L1 and select "disengage". You and your entire party will immediately get out of fighting stance.

I would pay someone to write a comprehensive guide to all meaningful, useful, and overall interesting quests in this game.

For example (and probably one of the most obvious) - Crestwood's "Still Waters" quest. That had an interesting story behind it, as well as some interesting side quests you found along the way. I particularly liked having Cole along for that one.

I'd love to know all of the quests that lead you to interesting locations like Valammar (in the Hinterlands):

I'm sure there are other locations like that in the game that could easily be missed. That was tucked away behind a waterfall, and I had no quest to take me there. I stumbled upon it by accident (coincidentally looking for treasure behind a waterfall, but this was the wrong one).

Some of the areas are just too big to explore and find all this stuff :(

You must have missed the journal/note for that quest- you need a key to get in (found in the gorgeous Castle/Estate in the Southwest of the Hinterlands) so you must have had the key in your inventory. It's a part of the main quest chain for the Hinterlands:

The Carta is paying people to pose as bandits and keep them away from their operations in the Hinterlands. That Dwarven ruin is the Carta's base of operations int he area.

In general if you follow the main quest chain for each area then you are likely going to be sent to the more interesting areas and dungeons.

Just killed the last dragon and no trophy popped. Loaded up the previous autosave and killed the dragon again and the trophy popped. Weird.

Still, nice to have it. :D

How tough were the last 3 dragons at Emprise? Gonna try to solo all 3.

With reaver spec, I didn't find the dragons that hard once sufficiently levelled up. Spamming Dragon's Roar and Devour works wonders. Had Blackwall tanking, motherfucker was never even in danger of losing his guard.

Begaria

I'm sitting here, listening to Suikoden music, while also thinking about how much I want to be at home playing Dragon Age: Inquisition. I started thinking about the plot structure of both games when it suddenly hit me: DA:I is a remake of Suikoden 1. Hear me out!

In both games, the protagonist inherits a mark on their hand that becomes the center of their power, and a huge part of the overarching story:
SXMnH1A-1.jpg

Suikoden.Series.full.546946.jpg

Both protagonists in their respective games gets pulled into a group of outcasts trying to stop whatever evil is happening - The Inquisition and The Liberation Army:
Blog-Asset-_WM_675x380.jpg

snapshot-2011-06-29-19-47-37.jpg

I'm going to lack pictures for this one due to spoilers, but let's just say something happens which requires both parties in both games to leave their original HQ.

But then, they each come across an abandoned, but completely usable fortress as a center of their power:
162889_screenshot_03_l.jpg

0.jpg

Due to your role up to this point, how essential your mark is, and your leadership up to this point, in both games you're thrust to the forefront and become the leader of the entire organization. Your Liberation Army/Inquisition then goes on through a bunch of areas earning allies, tricking out your fortress, and using your mark to restore balance.

Thus, irrevocable proof that DA:I is a remake of Suikoden 1 :p

Well, it's easy enough to go back and get 100. So many ways to do it, and it's pretty quick.

You don't necessarily need 100, do you? I thought you just had to choose a specific option at the end. On my first playthrough I didn't get it even though I had max approval.

TheExodu5

Banned
Playing an archer. Turned Sera into a Dagger wielding rogue but I feel the AI is incapable of playing melee rogue. Too squishy and doesn't flank. Doesn't really seem to do any more damage than an archer would either. Might have to stick with 3 ranged or make the second melee a bit of a tank as well.

Playing Rift Mage at the moment, really enjoying it. Using Stonefist is great, and the weakness debuff can be fantastic on enemies that are affected by it. Learn to use the combo for stonefist, and fire mine + pull of the rift. Veilstrike is ok for crowd control, but needs a damage component.
Thanks, appreciate the input!

Please quote me so I know to read.

So I'm going threw an ordeal with FedEx because they lost my PS4 replacement.

Can someone give me PS3 impressions of this game? Does it run good and look good?

I already own this for the PS4 but can't play it and it's driving me crazy cause I've been waiting for this game since I finish DA2.

Is it worth picking up on the PS3? It'll be the digital version.

Zafir

You don't necessarily need 100, do you? I thought you just had to choose a specific option at the end. On my first playthrough I didn't get it even though I had max approval.
Yeah, I got the achievement despite not having max approval. Had 98.

Nope, I think it's based on what you do during the final "conflict".

Yeah, I got it the second time around when
I chose to confront Florianne myself. Didn't do that the first time and I ended up fighting her instead. Figures that's what it means by getting the court's approval.

What?

The Hinterlands are the first area.
Took me five hours. I spent forever exploring the Frostbacks and Haven. I wanted my armor crafted in ram skin so I got it into my head to go hunt rams in the outskirts without a party. Needless to say when I got to the Hinterlands and realized Varric could kill the things in one hit from a distance I was pissed.

T.O.P

Banned
Finished the game at 94 hours, goat

Still have a shitload of stuff to do as well sogood.gif

Anyway ending was good, was expecting a bit longer sequence since it felt a bit rushed compared to other story missions

Great closure anyway and now i'm dying for dlcs to be announced

Donnow if i'll continue on this profile or start a NG on Nightmare...everything ended up like i wanted in the end so making story decisions again is something i don't wanna do...we'll see

Only one downside in this game...the DRAGONS
They need more moves for fucks sake, the design and everything else is amazing but other than that every fight was too similar to the one before

And Dorian my forever husbando <3

Iceternal

52806613.jpg

Seriously GAF, how come no one complains about the glitches and the lack of patch to this day ? Unity got destroyed by everyone yet everybody's forgiving DAI's many severe issues ...

Took me five hours. I spent forever exploring the Frostbacks and Haven. I wanted my armor crafted in ram skin so I got it into my head to go hunt rams in the outskirts without a party. Needless to say when I got to the Hinterlands and realized Varric could kill the things in one hit from a distance I was pissed.

I remember spending six hours upgrading Sera so she could be my animal-killer (I even named her Bow Ramkiller 4000).

Then I realized my mages did it just fine.

Liamc723

I picked up Inquisition today, played it for 3 hours and I'm already in love. I can tell I want to put 100 hours into this game.

Seriously GAF, how come no one complains about the glitches and the lack of patch to this day ? Unity got destroyed by everyone yet everybody's forgiving DAI's many severe issues ...

Severe issues? WAT? Fallout: New Vegas had severe issues. AC: Unity had severe issues. The bugs in Dragon Age: Inquisition are mostly minor irritations that can be fixed by avoiding certain things or reloading a save. There's a reason I keep a dozen or so saves at different points. The bigger the game, the more bugs you're going to have to deal with. Remember the Elder Scrolls games? Yeah.

52806613.jpg

Inquisition's getting plenty of shade in regards to bugs, believe me. But I won't lie and say it's ruined the game for me.

Mideon

Severe issues? WAT? Fallout: New Vegas had severe issues. AC: Unity had severe issues. The bugs in Dragon Age: Inquisition are mostly minor irritations that can be fixed by avoiding certain things or reloading a save. There's a reason I keep a dozen or so saves at different points. The bigger the game, the more bugs you're going to have to deal with. Remember the Elder Scrolls games? Yeah.
On Xbox One at least there are what I would call severe issues. Game crashes back to dashboard at least once every few hours. There are too many audio bugs to mention and conversations freeze leaving you with no option but to quit and reload. So yeah I would say I have encountered severe issues.

You can't just excuse a game for being big and expect it to be a bug fest. But oh it's ok it's a large game so let's give it a pass.

Neoweee

1) There was a day 0 patch.

2) There was a major holiday weekend right between launch and present.

3) All "Huge RPG"s have significant issues at launch. No amount of QA can smooth things out when a game is this huge. Hell, the most significant bug, the so-called Banter Bug, took a week to really come to light after it sold on the order of a million copies. Yes, there are bugs, but they're in the process of QAing the next patch, and developing the 2nd and 3rd.

52806613.jpg

Um... everyone's complaining about the lack of a patch. Just in the PC Performance thread.

Some of these glitches are ridiculous.

On Xbox One at least there are what I would call severe issues. Game crashes back to dashboard at least once every few hours. There are too many audio bugs to mention and conversations freeze leaving you with no option but to quit and reload. So yeah I would say I have encountered severe issues.

You can't just excuse a game for being big and expect it to be a bug fest. But oh it's ok it's a large game so let's give it a pass.

Okay, granted. Those are serious issues. I've been playing the PS4 version, and I run into a little glitch now and again, and in 60 hours, my game has crashed to the dashboard exactly three times. So I was wondering where these grievous issues I've been hearing about were coming from. The answer seems to be "other platforms". It makes me wonder what the lead platform for this game was.

tcrunch

I've never even gotten the biggest bugs (banter/gender/voice). The latter two are avoidable and the first one has some fixes you can try. People's experiences seem to vary wildly (ex. some people getting constant crashes/unable to load the game on PS4/Xbone, others having no issues at all, etc).

Vs. ACU with a bunch of visually arresting bugs regardless of platform on top of a game no one was really waiting for or eager for.

There are people on almost every page of this thread complaining about bugs though. I have never really understood posts like these- should we all throw down our controllers and stop playing the game we enjoy in protest? "Why don't you complain more? This other game got more complaints than this game!" is the weirdest demand. I don't complain more because it's a good game and I'm having fun, and I think that's the case for a lot of the people who play it.

PS the game has a pc performance thread so some complaints are probably going there.

52806613.jpg

Oh I've been complaining.

But Unity got shat on as bad as it did because there was already a PR disaster looming over it, and it was fueled by PS4 vs XBO fanboys. DA:I is broken on every platform, has no "parity" looming over its head and hasn't received nearly as much press attention. Therefore, fewer people care.

Top Bottom