• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Wulfram

I just flog anything in valuables that costs more than 1 gold. Hasn't caused me any problems I noticed in 1 and a half run throughs.

valkyre

The amount of lore and reading material in this game is insane. Overwhelming I would say, to the point that it is just too much to go through it all.

In the beginning I was reading every piece of Lore I encountered, now , I really feel burnt in this aspect and I am not reading any more of these huge codexes I acquire.

Do you guys read all this stuff?

Monster Zero

The amount of lore and reading material in this game is insane. Overwhelming I would say, to the point that it is just too much to go through it all.

In the beginning I was reading every piece of Lore I encountered, now , I really feel burnt in this aspect and I am not reading any more of these huge codexes I acquire.

Hell no

Mideon

Did at first then stopped after about 60 hours in. Now jut skim through them!

I like how characters morph briefly when you equip or unequip armor or helmets.

hgjb.png

Nah.

That's too much lore cheese for me to read.

Clegg

The Winter Palace was a misstep, I feel.

It was interesting to play political intrigue right at the heart of the Orlesian civil war,but the narrative wasn't fleshed out enough in Inquisition to warrant the amount of time spent there.

valkyre

Did at first then stopped after about 60 hours in. Now jut skim through them!

Same here, at the beginning I was really into it and excited, but man... my eyes got hurt from reading all these things...

Eventually I just skim through them as well , reading only seemingly important entries related to quests.

KorrZ

Killed my first Dragon last night in Crestwood. I was level 12 and it was lvl 13, my party died very quickly cause they're idiots and even Dorian would stand right in it's lightning AOE...sigh.

I was able to solo it with Barrier and Spirit blade though :lol Knight Enchanter is amazing.

sobaka770

Banned

I did read all the entries in DA:O. Unfortunately, the codex in DA:I doesn't highlight new entries, so it's a pain to keep track of.

Nevertheless, when I'm done with my Thesis and will do a full walkthrough in January, I plan to read most of this stuff. I find lore and story in games interesting. I, at the same time, thought that the amount of books in Skyrim and their length was just too much, didn't read those.

I got to a point where if I had to read more than 4 lines I pressed B with a vengeance

ColdRose

Yes, for my first playthrough. I'm a lore junkie, especially for Bioware games because I love the way they do it. Codex stuff is fantastic. For subsequent playthroughs, no. Unless it's something I didn't get the first time around.

Damn, I'm loving this game. I love Skyhold, I love wandering around gorgeous maps, I even like the MMO-ish quests and collectibles because I like the pay offs (a bit of lore, some Power to unlock a new bigger quest, a dungeon), or I just think they're a reward in themselves because the areas are so lovely to explore. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in ages, I don't want it to end :/

Frillen

It's a video game, don't have time to read lol! Even if I read something, I forget the content after a minute.

Dark_castle

I think this game would have benefited greatly by having a slightly longer main scenario, more inner circle quests to delve deeper into companion's pasts and their stories, and cut down the uninteresting fetch quests and tedious collectathon (shard hunting in the oasis comes into mind).

The Winter Palace was a misstep, I feel.

It was interesting to play political intrigue right at the heart of the Orlesian civil war,but the narrative wasn't fleshed out enough in Inquisition to warrant the amount of time spent there.
Was boring as shit and dragged on way too long. I'm struggling to finish the game. At the start I was doing loads of side missions and fade rifts..now I'm just doing the maib missions as the game is getting so damn boring. I think I'm 40 to 50 hrs in now and it really does seem to be dragging on.

valkyre

Yes, for my first playthrough. I'm a lore junkie, especially for Bioware games because I love the way they do it. Codex stuff is fantastic. For subsequent playthroughs, no. Unless it's something I didn't get the first time around.

Damn, I'm loving this game. I love Skyhold, I love wandering around gorgeous maps, I even like the MMO-ish quests and collectibles because I like the pay offs (a bit of lore, some Power to unlock a new bigger quest, a dungeon), or I just think they're a reward in themselves because the areas are so lovely to explore. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in ages, I don't want it to end :/

Ιn Mass Effect I read every single piece of Lore in those 3 games.

But this one here is seriously 10fold what ME codex was. Also it kind of help that I am a sci fi fan, so I find ME lore a tad more compelling than this.

I love Lore, but with Inquisition I honestly got overwhelmed after a certain point.

I realized last night than the AI is completely awful at playing the tank.

I was at the Emerald Graves, the area
with all of the giants walking around
Decided to take them on, and I took control of Cassandra as my templar tank. We absolutely wiped them up, and Cass barely lost any health, just from me using proper tank strategy and using abilities at the right time.

Normally Cass is always close to death at the end of tough fights. I even set a few of her abilities to get guard up quickly, like war cry, to preferred, but the AI still can't tank for crap.

Also, romance question for my female mage. Sera or Josie? I've got Sera to the point where she is flirting back with me and
wants to see where things will lead
. I'm also still macking it to Josie because she is intriguing as well. Decisions!

Tankshell

So the only thing that is letting the side down for me is the lack of a decent, continuous soundtrack whilst exploring. The main theme that plays on the title screen is awesome, as are the arrangements of it you hear sporadically throughout gameplay, but too often I find myself in some stunning location, I can only think to myself how much more atmospheric it could be with some kind of awesome musical score to go along with it.

Game is still blowing my away though overall. My GOTY.

Ricker

Small question about the Assassin specialization that I will spoiler just in case,answer in spoiler also if you know

Only missing the Deathroots,currently in Crestwood,just at the entrance to the Flooded Caves...will they be in there?...been to 5 regions so far and I have seen none

Astrarium reward in Crestwood in the cave is a good one for fighting dragons I guess,for those not doing those things,this one might be worth it,unless its a random reward in there....

Small question about the Assassin specialization that I will spoiler just in case,answer in spoiler also if you know

Only missing the Deathroots,currently in Crestwood,just at the entrance to the Flooded Caves...will they be in there?...been to 5 regions so far and I have seen none

Astrarium reward in Crestwood in the cave is a good one for fighting dragons I guess,for those not doing those things,this one might be worth it,unless its a random reward in there....

All desert based locations have tons of deathroot. Best place is western approach. I dont actually think there is any in the flooded caves.

glaurung

OK, spoilerific question regarding character classes.

I am currently running as an archer. Does the archer get any meaningful class specialization later on? Lately I've been thinking just to reroll a regular stabby-stabby rogue.

Nodnol

There's an abundance of them in
The Western Approach.

OK, spoilerific question regarding character classes.

I am currently running as an archer. Does the archer get any meaningful class specialization later on? Lately I've been thinking just to reroll a regular stabby-stabby rogue.

If you go with the Tempest specialization as an archer, its freaking awesome. Sera is dominant for me.

Others in this thread have also said that Assasin works well with archery too.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, usually I'm all into "Roguey" type characters but I got a random drop of the best Reaver armor so I started one in Multi and it is just INSANELY fun. Building rage, slinging a giant lightning maul everywhere, fucking casting special murder wards on floor, and a move that heals me by (Unless I'm not seeing it correctly) tearing a fucker's heart out ?!

I just love the way the character looks.If memory serves it's a she as well. Totally fierce! I am totally in love with this and I can't wait for more multiplayer missions. EA really pulled out all the stops for this game.

elhav

So far the biggest annoyance for me in the game is the sheer amount of glitches and hiccups, especially during some of the cutscenes. Also the infamous stiff Bioware animation is still present in this game, so when characters try to be emotional and stuff they look like malfunctioning robots.

besides that and a few niggles I have with the combat, I think this game is a really good contender for GOTY. So much content, and there are actually interesting missions to explore, though there are more then enough fetch quests. You don't have to do them though, and you can level up just fine with much more interesting quests and such.

Haven't yet fought a dragon. Looking forward to that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ιn Mass Effect I read every single piece of Lore in those 3 games.

But this one here is seriously 10fold what ME codex was. Also it kind of help that I am a sci fi fan, so I find ME lore a tad more compelling than this.

I love Lore, but with Inquisition I honestly got overwhelmed after a certain point.

Much of Dragon Age lore is just too dull for my taste, similar to Bethesda games. A lot of retreading ideas from other stories. Not that Mass Effect didn't, but I guess I found it much easier to be swept up in that universe and invested in the lore.

I will give Inquisition credit for all things Fade though, which is very well handled and interested. Solis in particular is great to talk to. I just couldn't give much of a shit about Templars vs Mages.

I'm trying to avoid this thread because there are spoilers abound but I need to try and get some info. Holy fuck, I hate Valuables. I'm not very far into the main story but I've done my share of Hinterlands :) Also put in 2+ hours combined searching over a few days to figure out this Valuables mess and have made almost zero progress. According to the Search function on the Bioware Official forums, no one is talking about them and no one outside of a few posts anywhere else has any info of what to keep / sell. This seems insane.

So far, the list I've been able to find is KEEP:

Research Items (obvs)
Service Medal / Fereldan Medal (Creates some other thing)
Tome thing? (Creates another Tome thing?)
Spidor Ichor (Requisition)
Malachite (Requisition?)

Maybe KEEP? (I haven't seen these so I don't know if they're just crafting materials)

Diseased Tissue
Paragon's Luster
Everite

I am nearly paralyzed by inventory space because the horribly named "Valuables" tab has almost no indication of item significance and I hate missing stupid shit because I sold something to a vendor. If I didn't prioritize Conversation perks (I'm not picking anything else until I have all 4), I'd get the inventory perk to have some breathing room... Man, what a blunder with the items. Makes me realize why I actually prefer playing games like these 6 months to a year after release when all the BS has been sifted through and a quick "new player tips" list is available on GameFaqs.

Does anyone have any additional info about Valuables? I'm going to start selling some, I have to... But I'm going to keep any gemstones / letters? / notes? / things with text? Carvings seem safe to sell? I really don't want to lean on the PC item generation cheat, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

No, no, no. Don't do it like that.

Don't worry about requisitions- they are just a way to farm power if you need it in a pinch. If you do need to use a req to get power then you will likely have the materials on hand for quite a few reqs anyway.

Crafting materials (metals like Paragon's Luster plus cloth, leather, and herbs) are not categorized under Valuables and do not take up inventory space. So never feel like you need to sell them to make space.Notes and letters don't take up space and only show up in your codex.

Go to the Creature Research Table (in Josephine's Office in Haven) and click it- that will turn in any creature research items. Then feel free to sell everything else in the Valuables section.

Any other way will just end in madness and tears.

molnizzle

Go to the Creature Research Table (in Josephine's Office in Haven) and click it- that will turn in any creature research items. Then feel free to sell everything else in the Valuables section.

Any other way will just end in madness and tears.

+1

Don't be a psycho, people.

besiktas1

God damn the
dragon
is tough, what level do I need to be pass
The Final Piece?

I'm level 14, do I have a grind ahead :(

I read the notes and journals, they're usually connected and tell a story regarding the area you're in. The lore and history stuff I usually ignore unless the title grabs me (like the stuff on Tevinter slavery).

I skim the long lore entry and read the short ones.

jgwhiteus

I've got a question, if you don't mind answering. Why would you actively wait for them, to the point of not wanting to play the game before they are finished? Or even bothering to do the alter-clock thingie? I usually just execute the order then forget about them while doing other things until I get the "mission complete" report.

When I started I was similar and just played for the most part and ignored going back to manage War Table missions, but I'm now at a point in the game where I want to complete all available side-quests before continuing on with the main story... but I've pretty much finished all available side-quests (well, I guess I could torture myself and search for my 1 missing bottle and some mosaic pieces). So the only thing left to do before advancing is finish War Table missions, but they're piling on, and some of them have ridiculous hours requirements. And I don't want to boot up the game just to micro-manage all of them.

I can't speak for that mission specifically but who you pick does influence several missions' outcomes. Some might give you a different item others might prevent you from proceeding to the next war table mission. Choosing who completes a mission fastest isn't always the right choice.

Here (War Table spoilers) is a known list of outcomes to most of the missions (I can't say it is all of them because I'm not sure, but it seems to be accurate). At worst most missions might give you a different/no reward depending who you pick to handle it but some will actually conclude a questline and you won't be able to follow up.

There's quite a few like that that have "fail conditions" where sending the wrong person will basically fail the mission and prevent you from getting some stuff, or maybe nothing it's hard to tell. In some cases, all choices lead to success but the person you sent determines the loot you get. In other cases, sending someone doesn't make a difference at all and you get the same reward for everyone.

Thanks for all the info... well, I guess that's something I can look more into in my next playthrough, since I'm too far in to bother changing things around now.

EDIT:
Does anyone have any additional info about Valuables? I'm going to start selling some, I have to... But I'm going to keep any gemstones / letters? / notes? / things with text? Carvings seem safe to sell? I really don't want to lean on the PC item generation cheat, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

I sympathize with this, because I'm about 80 hours in and nearing the end, and I'm a completionist who likes clearing off my journal of all available sidequests before I finish a game. And the only remaining sidequests in my journal are stupid Requisitions that I took early on before realizing (1) Requisitions quests repeat indefinitely, so after you've finished the first three or four in an area just stop accepting them, and (2) some Requisition quests can only be completed with items you find in different, sometimes later, areas, and the enemies who drop them will pretty much disappear once you clear a zone.

I think some of the unique Valuables are used in crafting weapon / armor, but honestly I think whatever you create will be outclassed by regular loot anyway (I haven't heard of any ridiculous ultimate weapons / armor that require valuables). I ended up using the duplicabe valuables cheat to finish off two Requisitions, and now the only open one is the one requiring Malachite (which can't be duplicated). Otherwise, yeah, just turn in your research, and avoid the "Sell All" button.

Ushay

I've just been hit by the dialogue bug, so annoying. First was when I went with Hawke and Stroud in Western Approach, it just got stuck and we're all there staring at each other waiting for the next line of dialogue. The fuck? So I just skipped it,

Then it happens AGAIN, and this time during the first romance scene with Cassandra, I'm like whaaaaaaat, not again at the worst possible time.

So my question is how often is this going to happen with mani story and side story content, am I going to have to skip huge chunks of dialogue in story and character interactions?
Is there a patch coming to fix it? (Xbox One)

Spineker

Banned
Almost 50 hours in and I just encountered
Morrigan and Kieran.
What an awesome moment. I'll be making contact with....
myself? (Hero of Fereldan)
tomorrow.

Ralemont

not me
I've just been hit by the dialogue bug, so annoying. First was when I went with Hawke and Stroud in Western Approach, it just got stuck and we're all there staring at each other waiting for the next line of dialogue. The fuck? So I just skipped it,

Then it happens AGAIN, and this time during the first romance scene with Cassandra, I'm like whaaaaaaat, not again at the worst possible time.

So my question is how often is this going to happen with mani story and side story content, am I going to have to skip huge chunks of dialogue in story and character interactions?
Is there a patch coming to fix it? (Xbox One)

You don't have to skip any of it, just let it sit for a minute or so and it continues naturally and doesn't happen again for the rest of the convo.

I'm guessin it happened to me around 5-6 times in a full playthrough. Annoying to be sure but at least you don't have to skip.

Mindman

So the only thing that is letting the side down for me is the lack of a decent, continuous soundtrack whilst exploring. The main theme that plays on the title screen is awesome, as are the arrangements of it you hear sporadically throughout gameplay, but too often I find myself in some stunning location, I can only think to myself how much more atmospheric it could be with some kind of awesome musical score to go along with it.

Game is still blowing my away though overall. My GOTY.

Agreed completely.

Jtrizzy

So I did the tower upgrade last night, and I couldn't tell where any upgrades had even taken place. With the courtyard upgrade it was obvious. Any of deas?

Top Bottom