• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

wolfhowwl

Banned
There was a good Party AI tip last thread that helps to address sillyness such as this: basically, set your party member's behaviour to "Follow" themself (e.g. Sera follow Sera) and they'll act autonomously for the most part. It should prevent AI from hitting the "follow the leader" boundary that kills their tactics so often. I've definitely found it useful.

Hope this helps.

I saw someone on Reddit suggesting to set the ranged characters to defend/self.

I felt like it helped during the dragon fights as it kept them a decent distance away from the dragon but still close enough that they could easily move inside the vortex when that move began.

X-Frame

Oh yay, after meeting a special someone, my Inquisitor's voice changed. That's not immersion breaking at all ..

And of course I didn't save for the past hour. Ugh.

This quest in the western approach is total bugged

The one where you take care of the dark spawn and chase down the venatori Servis. First time I did it, when I killed Servis, he walked into the sky never to be seen again, the quest didn't get marked as complete. Now if I return to do the quest he is no longer there.

You should find a injured Servis near where you defeated him, you can actually take him prisoner.

Nodnol

I'm about 80 hours in. Just done
The Winter Palace.

Couple of questions:

Crafting - I take it I should save the Tier 3 and above stuff for Masterwork schematics? I'm waiting for a dagger schematic to drop! I'm starting to fell Dragons, so I'm suddenly coming across some good crafting mats.

End Game - Is it possible to play on after the main quest has concluded? Or should I aim to do as much as possible before completing it? If there's a point of no return, then I want to exhaust all I can.

The Winter Palace.

Couple of questions:

Crafting - I take it I should save the Tier 3 and above stuff for Masterwork schematics? I'm waiting for a dagger schematic to drop! I'm starting to fell Dragons, so I'm suddenly coming across some good crafting mats.

End Game - Is it possible to play on after the main quest has concluded? Or should I aim to do as much as possible before completing it? If there's a point of no return, then I want to exhaust all I can.

You can keep playing afterwards, although I think some quests that are connected to the main plot will no longer be available.

Bessy67

The Winter Palace.

Couple of questions:

Go to the Hissing Wastes and do the questline with the dwarven tombs. You get lots of good schematics from that.

Nodnol

You can keep playing afterwards, although I think some quests that are connected to the main plot will no longer be available.

Alright, thanks.

I want to do as many subplots and all the companion quests. There's been some really interesting side quests that have helped flesh things out massively.

Just ordered the PS4 version of the game. Will be my first DA game, any tips before going in? I've already familiarised myself with the lore.

Zeliard

My main party consists of Sera, Cassandra, and Vivienne. Countless RPGs played and I've never experienced a group dynamic like it. Everyone loathes one another, and will go well out their way to shit on each other. It's wonderful.

Yeah those 3 are my teammates as well. Absolutely fantastic banter. Sera lays the smackdown on Viv everytime.

My companions consist of Iron Bull, Sera, and Vivienne. Great banter between all three, and it's particularly frequent between Iron Bull and Vivienne.

It's basically Vivienne constantly emasculating Iron Bull as he sheepishly and passively accepts it, and Sera and Vivienne venomously sniping at each other.

Nodnol

Go to the Hissing Wastes and do the questline with the dwarven tombs. You get lots of good schematics from that.

I still have so many areas to fully explore! There's at least three areas that I've barely stepped foot, one I haven't done so at all! I think I'm slightly under leveled for a couple.

I've started prioritizing a certain quest type, say Companion, but I always find myself distracted! Before I know it I'm chasing down something else.

tcrunch

It's basically Vivienne constantly emasculating Iron Bull as he sheepishly and passively accepts it, and Sera and Vivienne venomously sniping at each other.

I notice Bull tends to give up or go passive a lot in conversations which is not what I expected from the philosophy that brought us STEN, though it is what I expect of a guy who names himself "The Iron Bull".

Hystzen

Fuck that spider cave in the oasis even at higher levels they can fuck you up.

Also I kind of like Hissing Wastes it actually has some interesting shit going around plus it not like Bioware hides the fact it huge and empty as Hardin tells you straight away fuck all here. Now oasis is a waste that is pointless zone.

Hah loved conversation I had with iron bull and Dorian. Dorian was asking about Bulls view on the war between Tiventer and Quanri and Bull basically says they don't even think they are at war and Dorian all like what the fuck

Captcha

Reading some of these responses about glitches is making me feel lucky. The only one I've had is my sound cutting out when I use one of those super...focus moves or whatever they are called. However, even that one fixes itself whenever any kind of dialogue starts. I am about 100 hours in.

I am also apparently Spiderman judging by the number of near vertical mountains I've walked right up.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Oh yay, after meeting a special someone, my Inquisitor's voice changed. That's not immersion breaking at all ..

Same thing happened to me with Varric's "visitor" to Skyhold. Had to reload an autosave from 45mins earlier.

So at some point they give you a portable War Table, right

Like, there's no way they make you go back to the Haven every single time, right? It's just doing that thing some dumb JRPGs do where they unlock abilities after you do them the tough way for a while, like running shoes in early Pokemon?

Right?

Grisby

Yeah, that happens every time if you choose to customize and have the American voice for your inquisitor.

Been waiting a week and a half or so for Bioware to patch it out so I can have my experience the way i want to have it.

I'm starting to lose patience though, and I'll probably just deal with it if it doesn't they don't fix it this upcoming week.

Like, there's no way they make you go back to the Haven every single time, right? It's just doing that thing some dumb JRPGs do where they unlock abilities after you do them the tough way for a while, like running shoes in early Pokemon?

Right?

You're gonna want to go back and talk to people after a while anyway, no?

Also, if you're on PS4, you can cheat the system and just change the date and the missions are completed.

Dunno if this is the right place, since this post will be one giant spoiler, but I'm not finished the game so the spoiler thread is a no-go for me at the moment. But basically: I have questions about Wicked Eyes, Wicked Hearts.

Is it just me or is the quest partially incoherent? I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end because I've been asked to make a decision as to who I will back. But the game and the characters within seem to already know things that weren't clear to me, and I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying attention or if they're really not supposed to be clear.

What I think I know:
- Our players: Celine, Gaspard, Briala
- First, Celine's occult advisor. There's a note in the Grand Library referring to a "Lady M" as the only person Celine can trust. There's also a list of descendants from one of Orlais' previous emperors; Celine, Gaspard and the third woman whose name escapes me but is in Celine's coterie are all on the list.
- Next to the library is a room that takes a Halla sculpture; opening it reveals two dead people and a note from Gaspard, ostensibly for Celine, saying Briala is the real threat and she has some crazy weapon (figuratively or literally). I assume Celine never got this message. Based on the Halla key, I also assume Briala murdered the negotiators (which only just came to mind now--I had the chance to tell Celine's ladies this but at the time I didn't think I had evidence of WHO was responsible).
- The occult advisor, who we originally targeted as a potential assassin, is Morrigan; she gave us a key off a supposed Venatori agent and asked us to help investigate. That key leads to the servants' quarters.
- Speaking of which, Briala has agents at the Winter Palace, but they've been heading into the servants' quarters to investigate something--and then never coming back out.
- Investigating the quarters, you find a ton of dead elves and a bunch of Venatori agents. You kill a bunch of them, and then Briala shows up. By this point, everyone is convinced Gaspard is working with the Venatori. Briala tries to broker an informal deal. I said sure, maybe.
- Back to the ballroom, and now it's time to talk to your crew. Everyone here also seems convinced Gaspard is working with the Venatori; your character says she found Venatori agents and Gaspard's dagger (she did? where? how come I didn't know about it?). But Cullen says it actually doesn't matter WHO is in charge, as long as someone is; Corypheus wants chaos, and having a strong leader will somehow prevent this.
- At this point, I have the option to pick: Celine, Gaspard, Briala, or no one. Having not yet figured out that Briala is responsible for the murdered negotiators, I pick Briala, thinking that she opposes Gaspard based on what she said to me earlier. Cullen then says Briala would have to be the puppeteer for GASPARD.

So here's what I don't get: Gaspard is working with the Venatori. Briala is up to some nefarious stuff herself, and is at the very least unlikely to negotiate in good faith. Neither of these things sound like good ideas. Having told all of this to my crew, everyone jumps immediately to a plan where I blackmail both Briala and Gaspard so that Briala can hold the reins of power and Gaspard can act as figurehead. But GASPARD IS WORKING WITH THE VENATORI and no one thinks this is a bad thing. Even stranger, Leliana is all for Briala because I guess she likes elves? Because there's precious little justification otherwise, my stupid decision to back Briala aside.

Did I miss something? Like, are there entire plot points I simply bypassed because I missed a mission trigger? I still have a few apparent missions like "Speak to Ambassador Briala" and I did leave Celine's ladies in the dark regarding evidence I supposedly had to give them. Basically, none of this makes any sense to me and I feel a lot less sure than when I had to decide who to make the ruler of Ferelden in DA:O, which was itself kind of a shaky decision.

LX_Theo

Banned

Right?
No, but later game war table operations typically take longer than you would to fill up your inventory and such

abundant

As expected, the Arcane Warrior is almost as OP as the Knight Enchanter. At level 6, I was already out pacing a level 17 Legionnaire and a level 19 Archer in my party.

Gibbo

Im already at 20hours and have only just reached
skyhold
. The game feels like the game is only just getting started though! How long more do i have?

Dead

well not really...yet
Im already at 20hours and have only just reached
skyhold
. The game feels like the game is only just getting started though! How long more do i have?
I got to Skyhold at 15 hours.

I'm currently 55 hours in and not at the end yet.

Zafir

Anyone have Cullen disappear from Skyhold? Dude has been MIA in his office, not sure for how long.

Is there not a guard there telling you where he is?

Rule of thumb is, if there's a marker for the character on the map but they aren't there, then you need to reload as you've got the bug where they haven't loaded in. If the map marker has moved as well, then they're elsewhere for a cutscene or something.

KorrZ

God damnit...doing the main story quest line in the Western Approach:

with Hawke and Stroud and as soon as the first line of dialogue plays it fucking freezes. I can skip past but it keeps happening and there is 0 point to play if I'm missing all of the story in a story mission....man this pisses me off. I had to shut off my PS4 before I lost it.

Dresden

Said fuck it and restarted. Goodbye, thirty hours of gametime.

Adjusted the Dragon Age keep stuff as necessary - actually paid attention to the settings for DA2 this time - and I'll stick with the mages this time. Also getting a bunch of banter that I didn't before, a sad reminder of the bug's existence and a nagging source of worry that you'll never know it's not working or that you can never be sure it's working. That said actually having Varric, Solas, and Blackwall all chatting amiably is a really nice change.

Is there not a guard there telling you where he is?

Rule of thumb is, if there's a marker for the character on the map but they aren't there, then you need to reload as you've got the bug where they haven't loaded in. If the map marker has moved as well, then they're elsewhere for a cutscene or something.
The guard is there but I can't interact with him. I zoned in and out a few times, the marker for the quest hasn't moved from his office. Hoping he's not awol for the rest of the game.

Sorian

Banned
God damnit...doing the main story quest line in the Western Approach:

with Hawke and Stroud and as soon as the first line of dialogue plays it fucking freezes. I can skip past but it keeps happening and there is 0 point to play if I'm missing all of the story in a story mission....man this pisses me off. I had to shut off my PS4 before I lost it.

It's a pain in the ass but if you wait about a minute the dialogue keeps going it didn't actually freeze. Spoilers for choices from past games and how they translate to teh bug you are seeing:
Stroud could also be Logain or Alistair so I think that bug occurs because the system is trying to read which character should be in that slot and then which dialogue is supposed to be used/which voice sample goes to it. It will not be the last time you see it with Stroud in your case
It sucks but just wait it out, the dialogue will continue.

No, but later game war table operations typically take longer than you would to fill up your inventory and such

Yeah, I don't know if it's intentional but it seems like War Table durations break down into:

1) 10 minutes-1 hr: designed so you can start an operation and then walk around Skyhold talk, craft, sell stuff, etc and check back in before heading out for questing.

2) 3-4 hours- designed for beginning and ending of a daily play session- set one of these before going out to explore an area or do a main mission. Then at the end of day's play check back in.

3) 18-24 hours- intended to be setup before logging off for the night. Designed to finish right around when you start the game the following day (after work, etc).

The guard is there but I can't interact with him. I zoned in and out a few times, the marker for the quest hasn't moved from his office. Hoping he's not awol for the rest of the game.

Try going in the blacksmith's shop near where Cassandra hangs out and see if it triggers a cutscene.

Zafir

Unfortunately it's because he's moved for a cutscene, but to be able to get it you need to talk to the guard.

I had an issue where I couldn't speak to the guard because I tried speaking to him during Sera's
pranking
cutscene. It wouldn't resolve so I personally reloaded to before I did Sera's thing and did it without issue.

Vamphuntr

There's a bug where npcs don't load, you can just save and reload the game and that npc gets loaded

It's pretty much permanent for me. It's been like that for the past 35 hours of play or so, PC version. I don't mind because I really don't like her anyway.

I want a patch to repair the tactical camera. I want to be able to pull the camera way more. I also want more than 8 quick slot for skills, I'm on a PC and not using a controller. Don't gimp the game please.

Top Bottom