• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Ugh, I cannot stand this battle system. 3 games in and BioWare still cannot make a decent battle system. In fact, in a lot of ways, they made it worse.

Plus, all of the enemy encounters are so damn pointless when exploring Hinterlands and stuff. Worthless loot, and some of the most hilariously tiny amounts of XP I've ever seen from enemies, hahaha.

I am still really enjoying the game, but damn, pretty sick of BioWare not having a clue where they want to go with their battle systems.

NIN90

Kind of a random question but does anyone know any web games or Steam games that are similar to those star constellation puzzles? I really enjoy doing these whenever I come across them.

Bessy67

I've been working on my Necromancer in MP and just found a pretty good fire staff and that + master spirit rune + various passives makes me walking death.

The only things they need to fix is to nerf the Demon Commander and add the ability to respec. I know you can promote when fully leveled, but it sucks when you waste an ability point on what you thought would be a useful skill.
Yeah, respec potion would be a godsend. I started my legionnaire before I really knew how to play him and specced into dodge roll. I'd love to get that point back without having to promote.

Audioboxer

Okay I really don't like Knight Enchanter gameplay. Guess a melee based mage just isn't doing it for me.

Out of the other two classes what is best for pew pew?

garath

Help guys. I'm trying to do the way of the assassin specialization quest and have procured all the pieces except a single assassin token. I've check all three locations they are supposed to be multiple times but the third group of assassins never spawned :( I've left the zone and come back a bunch of times to no avail. Bugged? :(

Any alternative? Maybe a console command (playing on PC ) to spawn the assassin or just give me the last token? It would be really crappy if I could never specialize with the class I want.

LuuKyK

Are knight enchanter and necromancer unlockable classes or people are just naming existent trees differently? Because I am pretty sure I've never seen these in my game. At least yet.

Brakara

Has anyone getting mp quick match to work on PC? I'm able to join a session, but it either crashes when loading the map, or am I inserted into an existing game and unable to move my character.

jgwhiteus

Are knight enchanter and necromancer unlockable classes or people are just naming existent trees differently? Because I am pretty sure I've never seen these in my game. At least yet.

They're unlockable specialty classes for mages; each basic starting class (rogue, warrior, mage) has access to three specialty classes after a certain level / point in the story. You have to complete a war table quest and mini-sidequests to unlock them, after which you can choose one (I think you lose access to the other two once you choose).

EDIT: your companions also have a pre-assigned specialty class; each character gets one of the nine total so there's no overlap.

Xeteh

I can't stress enough how crazy stupid the AI is. I'm fighting a L20 Dragon, I'm L19 and still on Nightmare. I'm tanking, so I'm positioning Sera/Viv/Solas around the dragon so they can avoid the breath/tail attacks while not being too far for the vortex ability. Vivienne apparently got clipped by the fire, pretty sure that was my fault. I use Solas to revive her and as soon as I select him my character starts running around the dragon for no apparent reason, facing the head at Solas and the tail at Sera. Both die instantly.

MechaX

I can't stress enough how crazy stupid the AI is. I'm fighting a L20 Dragon, I'm L19 and still on Nightmare. I'm tanking, so I'm positioning Sera/Viv/Solas around the dragon so they can avoid the breath/tail attacks while not being too far for the vortex ability. Vivienne apparently got clipped by the fire, pretty sure that was my fault. I use Solas to revive her and as soon as I select him my character starts running around the dragon for no apparent reason, facing the head at Solas and the tail at Sera. Both die instantly.

60 hours into the game and no matter what I adjust, Varric always must be in point-blank range to even do shit with Bianca. Even in Tactical Mode-intensive fights, I always find this fucker trying to get up close to a dragon like he was using a shotgun.

leng jai

60 hours into the game and no matter what I adjust, Varric always must be in point-blank range to even do shit with Bianca. Even in Tactical Mode-intensive fights, I always find this fucker trying to get up close to a dragon like he was using a shotgun.

So it's not just my game. Even at the beginning of the game I noticed this idiot kept rushing in at close range with his bow.

jgwhiteus

I kind of gave up on using ranged and low-defense characters for dragons, except for having a mage who could cast barrier. I guess it kind of makes sense; the tactical balance for ranged characters is that they can deal damage from afar but are weak in close-quarters combat; dragons' attack patterns are specifically designed to screw that up (closed arena, constantly shifting position, vortex move to pull characters in, sometimes dragonlings that appear from the exterior). So the game basically forces you to use tanks for the stronger dragons, or requires you to monitor and shift everyone's position constantly.

But I agree the AI is stupid, and dragon fights require so much hand-holding (like, I would order characters to step outside of fire mine range, but unless I ordered them to "hold position" or moved them far enough they would rush right back into the fire mines...)

Could someone please recommend a decent but inexpensive Bluetooth adapter for my pc that will work with ps4 controller? Amazon, newegg etc

Ty!

Dragon fights on hard mode are fucking cheap as hell! Dumbass party AI, cheapass dragon AI. I'm going to have such a frustrating time on my nightmare playthrough.

I'm actually furious with how stupid the AI is that I'm being angry and rude in conversations with my party members. I don't care about your approval rating Dorian, stop walking into goddamn fireballs!

Wag

Well I officially fucking hate the fucking game. I had a crash while saving the game, I rebooted, came back, couldn't restart the game, and all I had were 2 corrupted saves which I can't load.(I must have had well over 100) I was over 20hrs into the damn game. Now I have to start the whole thing over again. Couldn't even reload off the cloud. Buggy POS.:(

Carbonox

My main party consists of Sera, Cassandra, and Vivienne. Countless RPGs played and I've never experienced a group dynamic like it. Everyone loathes one another, and will go well out their way to shit on each other. It's wonderful.

Yeah those 3 are my teammates as well. Absolutely fantastic banter. Sera lays the smackdown on Viv everytime.

Well I officially fucking hate the fucking game. I had a crash while saving the game, I rebooted, came back, couldn't restart the game, and all I had were 2 corrupted saves which I can't load.(I must have had well over 100) I was over 20hrs into the damn game. Now I have to start the whole thing over again. Couldn't even reload off the cloud. Buggy POS.:(

I had that problem too, but I fixed it thanks to the instructions in this thread

Jisgsaw

This, so much.
THE thing that anoyes me the most: when I go in tactical view and order my mage to resurect someone, he/she'll never do it, but cancel it immediatly for whatever reason. I have to eitheir pray the AI decides on itself to use the spell (which, to be honest, happens most of the time), or select him/her, go out of tactical view and start the spell casting myself.

I have to say though, I played the first 60 hours exclusively in tactical view, and switched recently to a more action orientend playstyle. The latter seems much easier for whatever reason.
Then again, I switched my MC from an archer to a dual dagger build simultaneously, that may have done the trick.

There was a good Party AI tip last thread that helps to address sillyness such as this: basically, set your party member's behaviour to "Follow" themself (e.g. Sera follow Sera) and they'll act autonomously for the most part. It should prevent AI from hitting the "follow the leader" boundary that kills their tactics so often. I've definitely found it useful.

Hope this helps.

Every story mission in this game makes me wish there were more involved side-quests. I mean I enjoyed the main area quests of Crestwood and the Fallow Mire but they don't even come close to things like the Ball. I want there to be more dialogue, tough choices, companion involvement, etc.

Also killed my first dragon in the Exalted Plains. Was expecting instant death (like the one at Crestwood) but instead annihilated it and only used 3 potions. Playing on Hard and didn't use a single party command. I was 2 levels higher, though.

Some damn good loot in the hissing wastes tomb questline, definitely worth doing guys.

Already killed all the dragons and gotten all the shards on hard, kind of bummed at the reward for getting all the crystal shards though.

Vamphuntr

The AI is super dumb in this. Allies stay in enemies' attack range even when they are ranged characters and when there are visual cues that the enemy will attack.

I think I'm almost done. I've killed all dragons and I just the did the
boring empress assassination mission

I'm level 23 and the Inquisition is 15. Hopefully the plot improves because it's been fairly forgettable so far.

Every story mission in this game makes me wish there were more involved side-quests. I mean I enjoyed the main area quests of Crestwood and the Fallow Mire but they don't even come close to things like the Ball. I want there to be more dialogue, tough choices, companion involvement, etc.

Also killed my first dragon in the Exalted Plains. Was expecting instant death (like the one at Crestwood) but instead annihilated it and only used 3 potions. Playing on Hard and didn't use a single party command. I was 2 levels higher, though.

I feel like I've missed something, but I don't think a single person in the game has mentioned dragons yet, and I have encountered/seen two (one in Hinterlands, one in Storm Coast).

Did I really just miss something? I'm level 9, btw.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think I've bugged the game into having me in a relationship with both Sera and Josephine lol

I've committed to Sera and broke up with Jo earlier but I just had a cutscene where she still referred to us as a couple!

Salaadin

I think I've bugged the game into having me in a relationship with both Sera and Josephine lol

I've committed to Sera and broke up with Jo earlier but I just had a cutscene where she still referred to us as a couple!

Shes in denial. Look what you did!

Vamphuntr

I feel like I've missed something, but I don't think a single person in the game has mentioned dragons yet, and I have encountered/seen two (one in Hinterlands, one in Storm Coast).

Did I really just miss something? I'm level 9, btw.

You simply need to progress more in the game.

Bessy67

tumblr_n3tqtd1crg1suzl23o5_250.gif

Bessy67

OK, so what's the general rule of thumb for character behaviors? Is it set ranged characters to follow themselves and melee characters to defend themselves?

JerkShep

So I'm about to pick this game up from Target for $48 and I was wondering if anyone had tips?

Leave the fucking Hinterlands. The first big area you get to explore is the largest of the game and could take you like 8 hours to complete fully. You shouldn't do that, because a) you'll get burned out b) you'll be overlevelled for most of the game. So explore at your own pace but keep in mind that there are other areas you can explore, characters you can recruit, etc. Don't obsess over the Hinterlands, they're not going anywhere.

Dead

well not really...yet
This quest in the western approach is total bugged

The one where you take care of the dark spawn and chase down the venatori Servis. First time I did it, when I killed Servis, he walked into the sky never to be seen again, the quest didn't get marked as complete. Now if I return to do the quest he is no longer there.

kai3345

Banned
Winter Palace spoiler: So at the end of the mission
I picked the elf lady, Bri-whatever to rule the throne, but Gaspard is up there making the speech like he's the ruler? Is this right?

JerkShep

I picked the elf lady, Bri-whatever to rule the throne, but Gaspard is up there making the speech like he's the ruler? Is this right?

Yes

Briala can't rule directly, only in the shadows with Gaspard as her puppet

Zafir

Yeah.
Gaspard effectively becomes a figurehead, and Briala makes all the decisions behind the scenes.

t-ramp

I think so,
she is the actual ruler behind the scenes, but Gaspard is the figurehead so the Orlesians don't riot about an elf ruler.

Top Bottom