• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Kimaka

Do I have to flirt to get in a relationship or will the NPC bring it up like in previous games if you have a high approval with them? I don't like choosing some of the flirty dialogue because it sounds bad and doesn't fit my character.

Gvaz

Banned
Getting pissy with these crashes to desktop...

also, anyone have the locations of the drawn maps? I'm not spending the time finding out where the fuck the locations are by looking at those scribbles.

Im just in a open world, I picked a quest and it says go to the war table to scout the storm coast.

Go to Haven, the war table is there. It's where Cullen, Josephine and Leliana use their agents or resources to pursue behind-the-scenes operations for the Inquisition. Most missions take time, but some (like the Storm Coast scouting mission) use Power instead.

One tip: pay attention to who you use to complete timed missions, as it will influence the reward. The text will give some idea of what the possible outcome (and thus reward) may be.

Getting pissy with these crashes to desktop...

also, anyone have the locations of the drawn maps? I'm not spending the time finding out where the fuck the locations are by looking at those scribbles.
I've only seen them in the Hinterlands. But they're not that difficult to figure out... just keep in mind the landmark it references and you'll be almost entirely where you need to be.

Do I have to flirt to get in a relationship or will the NPC bring it up like in previous games if you have a high approval with them? I don't like choosing some of the flirty dialogue because it sounds bad and doesn't fit my character.

You don't have to use all flirt options and some would actually be received badly during wrong moments. But you do need to flirt some.

Dante316

Go to Haven, the war table is there. It's where Cullen, Josephine and Leliana use their agents or resources to pursue behind-the-scenes operations for the Inquisition. Most missions take time, but some (like the Storm Coast scouting mission) use Power instead.

One tip: pay attention to who you use to complete timed missions, as it will influence the reward. The text will give some idea of what the possible outcome (and thus reward) may be.

ty, its just been ages since I played a open world games. Game expects u to know where things are..it could've said war tabel at haven.

Zafir

As far as I can tell you can't adjust height/body type. So elves are stuck being scrawny.

Yeah, it's the one thing I find a bit annoying about being an elf. They look so thin. It just doesn't look healthy at all.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the tattoo's, but at least that's there for lore reasons.

Im just in a open world, I picked a quest and it says go to the war table to scout the storm coast.

Go back to Haven/Skyhold.

In Haven, the War Table is behind the door on the far end of the chantry.

In Skyhold, it's off to the left of the main hall as you enter, past where Josephine is

Dante316

Go back to Haven/Skyhold.

In Haven, the War Table is behind the door on the far end of the chantry.

In Skyhold, it's off to the left of the main hall as you enter, past where Josephine is

Ty too, ill have to remember that if no waypoint appears, its in another location.

Rogue archers get *a lot* better once you get past level 11-12 and unlock a specialization.

My archer tempest is just lovely in ze battles.

Rogue archers get *a lot* better once you get past level 11-12 and unlock a specialization.

You could say that about every class, honestly. It's also around the time you'll start finding badass uniques or crafting recipes.

It is a perfect storm of power.

Tabby

I hope that's true.
Only about level 8 right now and Archer has been so boring I've just been playing mostly as Vivienne.

Is Tempest the best for archers?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Meh, I am a level 15 mage and I don't need specialization to be badass :p

....well to be precise, specialization involves fetch quests and I am a bit burned out by it by now. I have already gotten all the necessary materials for Rift Mage, but eh......... right now I couldn't be bothered to also gather stuff for Knight Enchanter and Necromancer.............. bah.

Dropping all sorts of thing on enemies like Fire Mine, Fire Wall, Static Cage, and everything else while Solas pulling off his Void move is really hilarious though. I can't even discern what's happening to the enemies any longer with so many sparks and fire effects flying around, haha.

Ugh my save is ruined. Was in the middle of a convo and the camera completely spazzed out and clipped through everything and its stuck that way. Unfortunately it autosaved, so now when I load up said save it has saved where the camera currently is. Milestone save is also the same way, the next most recent save is an hour and some change back. Ugh.

Yes, I do agree that there should be tooltips on hovering the skillbar, but it's the same as in consoles, right?
That's kind of the problem with the PC version... its mostly the same as the console version, with little to take advantage of the fact that its on a PC.

I just a little itched by the "you need dozens of clicks to see each skill & description".
I hope the upcoming patch will cover PC controls.
Maybe its not a dozen clicks but you shouldn't need any clicks- you should just be able to hover over the ability icons.

The bottom line is that the lack of hovering popup tooltips on the action bar/ hotbar is just sort of emblematic of the lack of intuitiveness in the PC version's controls and menus. Whether that was for lack of resources or time, the PC version's controls and UI are grossly subpar even just compared to DA2 or Origins.

There are just so many little things like that going on with the PC version that it just baffles me that they let it go out in the state it did. Its not broken or anything, but its a huge step back from Origins and DA2 and considering Origins' PC heritage, that kind of ticks me off. Lump in the gutted Tactical View and Tactics and whatever good things the game has going for it sort of fizzle out amidst all of the annoyances and shortcomings that by themselves maybe aren't deal breakers, but they rapidly snowball.

Ugh my save is ruined. Was in the middle of a convo and the camera completely spazzed out and clipped through everything and its stuck that way. Unfortunately it autosaved, so now when I load up said save it has saved where the camera currently is. Milestone save is also the same way, the next most recent save is an hour and some change back. Ugh.

That sucks. The potential for things like this is also why I tend to save every fifteen minutes or so. I've had to replay an hour+ of games in the past, and it's something I prefer not to do.

eneko

Dumb question. How do I pull up the map? I think I skipped that part of the tutorial while remaking my character several times.

Gvaz

Banned
I've only seen them in the Hinterlands. But they're not that difficult to figure out... just keep in mind the landmark it references and you'll be almost entirely where you need to be.

I'm way past that. I'm specifically talking about the exalted plains

also has anyone logged where all the bottles/mosaics are?

Dante316

Game sure has some weird moments, sometimes no vibration, sometimes low or muted sound, sometimes party members chat and its nice, other times quiet. Not what I expected from a GOTY.

Oppo

the terrain design is driving me a bit crazy

just spent like 45 min just trying to ping a campsite. didn't realize the Great Wall of China was surrounding it.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Left on the d-pad. Not sure about PC though.

This will hopefully be in the patch.. kind of odd they left out the map d-pad command on PC :/

In other news, just watched the TGAs in full: great show, and just like my favourite RPG of late, had plenty of technical glitchiness but still succeeded beyond all my expectations lol.

I need some help figuring out something

60 hrs in and my two handed warrior all of a sudden gets pretty much one shotted by everything all of a sudden. I didn't change gear or accessories and haven't respec'd in awhile. My armor and helmet are on and my "core stats" seem to indicate the game shows me as the most armored of all my party members.

The things instant killing me are sometimes well under my level and don't seem to have a common type of attack. It's been a variety of enemy types including regular humans, spiders, green spirit guys that are at most rifts. I took Iron Bull with me recently (I have him spec'd as two handed) and the same thing happened. Both of us were bodybags.

1 other weird thing I was walking around in the Western Approach and started a battle tied into a story mission relating to Wardens and my guy appeared in the cutscene without his armor on. I fought the battle without armor and didn't have any trouble. I've tried fighting with armor off since then and I killed quick, and have tried using different armor and it doesn't seem to matter.

Known glitch or any suggestions other then respec to a sword and shield warrior?

EDIT: nevermind I figured it out. I crafted a masterwork weapon with some berserk trait that I didn't fully understand.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm 70 hours in now, and just hit Exalted Plains. I'm just decimating things. It's totally unfair, and I love it (also, I'm a Knight Enchanter, so I was destroying people anyway).

there are still so many areas for me to unlock and explore. I haven't done all of them just yet. I want to check out all the zones, even if I don't do everything in each one, before I finish the game.

One absolutely awesome little detail in the game that I love is how (UI spoiler)
party member cards change images as you progress through their stories. I especially noticed that Varric's changed twice during the time I ran through his personal story quests.

That kind of touch makes the card art matter so much more. I absolutely love it.

I believe there can be
Stroud, Alistair and Loghain.

So is the tough choice people refer to between (Here Lies the Abyss Spoilers):

Alistair and Hawke?

Because in my game it was
Loghain and Hawke. And while I think Loghain was a great and interesting character it really wasn't a tough choice. This was a perfect opportunity for him to complete his redemption and he had done some pretty heinous things in DA:O. So he stayed and Hawke lived happily ever after. And had it been Hawke and Shroud (who I have absolutely zero memory of from the previous games) then the decision would have been even easier. So I can only assume a Alastair and Hawke decision would be what is giving people a tough decision because that one I would have a hard time choosing.

Kimaka

Sadly this shortcut does NOT work on PC. You have to bring up the pause menu and then select Quest Map manually.

That is why it wasn't working. :/

I tried the gamepad for a bit since everyone was saying it was better than m/kb but you lose out on quick access to menus and quick save. Both control schemes aren't good for different reasons on PC so I hope that they will allow m/kb access when playing with the gamepad in the next patch.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That is why it wasn't working. :/

I tried the gamepad for a bit since everyone was saying it was better than m/kb but you lose out on quick access to menus and quick save. Both control schemes aren't good for different reasons on PC so I hope that they will allow m/kb access when playing with the gamepad in the next patch.

That would be pretty tight, although there is limited access when renaming items and such.

Dresden

Which valuable items can I sell? Are there ones that have absolutely no purpose?

All of them, unless they're yellow, which you should dump off at the research table first.

I don't think the quest specific stuff (the class specialization junk) shows up in the sell menu.

Someone mentioned that you can have the cursor for tactical mode ignore terrain differences. Can't seem to find the option though. Where is it?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Has anyone crafted those novelty items using the "Gold Horn" and such?

Worth selling them to free up space in inventory, or keep as they are amazeballs once contructed?

Q: I'm now getting to the point where characters now have more than 8 active abilities but during battle I can't activate abilities that aren't mapped to any buttons. Do I just sacrifice the "not-so-good" abilities in favour of the better ones? (because that's a stupid design decision)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Um is Connor bugged for anyone else? I talk to him and no dialogue wheel pops up. I also can't get out of the conversation, I have to fast travel away. He talks to me but I can't respond and it's super weird...

Is there anything I'm missing?

Gvaz

Banned
Q: I'm now getting to the point where characters now have more than 8 active abilities but during battle I can't activate abilities that aren't mapped to any buttons. Do I just sacrifice the "not-so-good" abilities in favour of the better ones? (because that's a stupid design decision)

Blame Laidlaw for that. Guy has tons of stupid ideas.

He basically said that they restricted it to 8 abilities for parity reasons.

spekkeh

Banned
How does focus work? Sometimes I have focus, sometimes I don't. Is it even explained? Also I have an AoE damage focus, but other people have something else?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it appears I'm on the final mission, since the game is telling me as much. 63 hours now. Really not sure why I wasted so much time doing trivial nonsense in the various zones. I guess it was fun exploring the beautiful environments, but them being the "core" of the game pretty much guarantee I'll never play it again.

I've still got a few things left to do, and haven't romanced anyone yet, but I think I'm just going to end it tomorrow night. Getting kind of tired of playing it. Sad that the combat never really got interesting on Normal difficulty. Never even came close to dying once throughout the course of the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Um is Connor bugged for anyone else? I talk to him and no dialogue wheel pops up. I also can't get out of the conversation, I have to fast travel away. He talks to me but I can't respond and it's super weird...

Is there anything I'm missing?

Not like that but he mentions King Alistair when I specifically said in my World Import that Alistair is a Grey Warden and yes, the game acknowledged it too outside this specific instance.

Not like that but he mentions King Alistair when I specifically said in my World Import that Alistair is a Grey Warden and yes, the game acknowledged it too outside this specific instance.

He said that to me, and Alistair is a wandering drunk in my game. It was the only instance of an incorrect reference to my world state that I encountered.

How does focus work? Sometimes I have focus, sometimes I don't. Is it even explained? Also I have an AoE damage focus, but other people have something else?

Each character has their own with their own bars. Your party members only get the focus from their specialization tree whereas you have access to one of those along with the AoE focus.

The Inquisitor has an exclusive focus ability, plus one from their specialization. Everyone else only has the specialization focus. (FakeEdit: And yeah, the focus bar is per-character, and not party-wide.)

You gain focus from... killing enemies or something, and there's some items or abilities that enhance the amount gained. The Inquisitor alone has an ability to grant focus on combination attacks (probably worth it if you use tier 2 or 3 focus abilities, which are unlocked from Inquisition perks).

Top Bottom