• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Mideon

There really should be a quick travel straight to the war room the amount of times you have to back and forth from there is horrible.

Yeah, it's the one thing I find a bit annoying about being an elf. They look so thin. It just doesn't look healthy at all.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the tattoo's, but at least that's there for lore reasons.
It's...bizarre. Elf players are dwarfed in size by Sera and especially Solas. Male elves especially look off - their arms sort of hang limply at their sides since they have the shoulder spans of 12 year old girls. It makes certain actions animate strangely, like closing rifts. Their overall slenderness makes their prominent pectorals look like breasts in the Skyhold outfit. I appreciate how they tried to create a series of diverse body types but the elves just don't feel right.

It's...bizarre. Elf players are dwarfed in size by Sera and especially Solas. Male elves especially look off - their arms sort of hang limply at their sides since they have the shoulder spans of 12 year old girls. It makes certain actions animate strangely, like closing rifts. Their overall slenderness makes their prominent pectorals look like breasts in the Skyhold outfit. I appreciate how they tried to create a series of diverse body types but the elves just don't feel right.

Qunari look chafed by the social outfits, and everything they do is a degree of awkwardness.

Heroes simply aren't built for casual clothing or actions.

Qunari look chafed by the social outfits, and everything they do is a degree of awkwardness.

Heroes simply aren't built for casual clothing or actions.
Non-humans, specifically. I feel the game was built from the ground up with human Inquisitors in mind, so when other races were introduced some of them simply don't fit. Not going to complain since a bit of occasional awkwardness is better than the alternative of not having them to play with at all.

I don't have any issues with the Qunari, really. I can play the role of the refined brute just fine. Only issue is their height occasionally causing some weirdness, but this is less so than with dwarves.

Non-humans, specifically. I feel the game was built from the ground up with human Inquisitors in mind, so when other races were introduced some of them simply don't fit. Not going to complain since a bit of occasional awkwardness is better than the alternative of not having them to play with at all.

I don't have any issues with the Qunari, really. I can play the role of the refined brute just fine. Only issue is their height occasionally causing some weirdness, but this is less so than with dwarves.

I imagine the root of the problem is the game's reliance on traditional motion capture. No matter how you dress it up, a nug is a nug; the same is true for the mo-cap, and its suitability for standard, human-shaped things.

Speaking of the animations, it's funny how Bioware still uses that bizarre "walking backwards facing the PC before turning around and leaving the scene" thing they've been doing for several years now. It always looks so awkward...

I imagine the root of the problem is the game's reliance on traditional motion capture. No matter how you dress it up, a nug is a nug; the same is true for the mo-cap, and its suitability for standard, human-shaped things.

Speaking of the animations, it's funny how Bioware still uses that bizarre "walking backwards facing the PC before turning around and leaving the scene" thing they've been doing for several years now. It always looks so awkward...

There are a lot of reused animations from other Bioware titles in this game. Honestly, Bioware's biggest hurdle they'll need to overcome is transitions - the animations themselves are generally serviceable, but they look so damn awkward strung together most of the time.

hwalker84

Glitches? Xbox One version:

I've had crash to the dashboard well over ten times.
I have one quest that cannot be completed since the darkspawn person isn't in the location.
The performance seems to be getting worse as the game goes on. More pop in and longer loads than in the beginning.
Dialog freezing where the character's just sit there until I hit X missing a line of dialog.

Teknoman

I really REALLY hope the patch hits Monday or at least Tuesday...and that it fixes the majority of character gender/banter bugs. Mostly because Tuesday is my day off lol, and I still havent had the chance to leave the area that you pop up in right after closing the first big rift.

Worst thing about the character animations is they won't stop moving. Talk to an NPC and watch your party members look like they're dying for a piss.

vakarian32

anyone looking for some easy Obsidian
Travel to top right camp in the Hinterlands (Dusklight I think it's called), head north ignoring the dragon, he will return to his nest eventually. Find the path to his nest and leg it all the way to the back left (your party should distract the dragon long enough) and you'll see a boat with some barrels on board to loot, I found 23 x obsidian and a bunch of other materials.

prudislav

I really REALLY hope the patch hits Monday or at least Tuesday...and that it fixes the majority of character gender/banter bugs. Mostly because Tuesday is my day off lol, and I still havent had the chance to leave the area that you pop up in right after closing the first big rift.
From what twitter sais - first patch will hit PC on Tuesday and other platforms later
https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/541692623111868416
I realize that many of you are looking for clarity on the 1st patch. The goal was Dec. 9. We will be missing that on most platforms.

we will be patching the PC

There are complexities to patching #DAI. Unfortunately this compressed the 1st patch to the point of slipping. There will be more patches.

There are a lot of reused animations from other Bioware titles in this game. Honestly, Bioware's biggest hurdle they'll need to overcome is transitions - the animations themselves are generally serviceable, but they look so damn awkward strung together most of the time.

Yeah... though to be fair, some of the stranger transitions are to get the NPC back into "stand by for conversationfall" mode, to prevent any sort of warping. It's a delicate balance of immersion and function that Bioware's getting better at every game. Perhaps by Dragon Age: Endings they'll nail it.

Actually, the most jarring conversations I've come across have been non-cinematic in nature, where the dialog wheel just appears on the screen. There's been several times I've had to reposition because I missed the prompt. I don't like it at all.

Rootbeer

Banned
It basically took me all day saturday to do everything there was to do in the
Hissing Wastes.

I really never want to go back there again.

Except I know I have to at some point if for no other reason than to slay that dragon. i came close though!

spekkeh

Banned
There really should be a quick travel straight to the war room the amount of times you have to back and forth from there is horrible.
Overall I would've preferred it if you could just fast travel across the places you've discovered. Especially considering how hilariously slow your horse is (I like that you get blurry speed lines when you gallop, like the horse is all like gotta go fast while lumbering on like a sloth with no arms). Yesterday I opened up the Exalted Plains. Nothing of interest. Main quest objective after some walking required a mage with freeze spells. Fuck you game I'm not hiking all the way back to respec to Dorian. So I push on trying to get to the next campsite. After a long moronic loop around the mountains (seriously what's up with all the walls in this game blocking your path from A to B, my favorite area so far is the desert, up yours walls), I find that it's blocked by boulders and need to get to Skyhold to open it with power. So I go back to Skyhold, this should be good right, it requires power, and all the good quests require power, well except for the Exalted Plains that is. Open up the blockade. turns out it's just
an open space with wyverns ten levels higher than me that maul my party in a matter of seconds
So now my power is depleted and I need to go back to the fucking Hinterlands to grind power on shitty fetch quests so I can do a (hopefully) interesting mission again, fuuuuuuuuu.

I really want to like this game but it's such a regression from Mass Effect again ugh.

edit: that's a bit harsh. I do like the game, but don't love it like I did Mass Effect.

vakarian32

Just exploring the Western Approach for the first time, this is a beautiful zone so far, the red sands and blue skies just pop right out.

Darklord

Banned
Where do I find these statuettes to open doors in Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts? I can't find any and it won't let me progress the story until I do.

jrush64

Banned
Hey guys so I have a couple of questions. I wanted to ask what the final total download size is for this game.

Also is origin the only place to buy this game from on PC?

Thanks

glaurung

I tried leaving the Hinterlands during the weekend. Well, actually stumbled upon those lv12 rifts near the wolf den and the rift monsters ripped me apart (party level at around ~7). Finally went and checked out that watery bog area with the undead (forgot the name, but it is to the South on the map).

Some questions:
  1. Crafting. Should I bother with crafting early level stuff? I have done some crap for my own character, but not for others. Is it worth the time and effort early on?
  2. War table missions. Has someone discerned what the differences between the agents are? Are there so-called correct agents for all missions? Can you "fail" the war table missions?

The game is very good. However, some of the bugs annoy the shit out of me. Audio bugs killed some of the cut-scene's dialogues. Sometimes, the game won't move forward to the next cut scene even though I killed the boss. I have to restart many times to get over it. Almost a perfect game.... almost....

aborath

Neo Member
Can't... escape. Ninety-eight hours in, and I've re-rolled... again. Grew bored with the mage, and made a 2h warrior. Hopefully she'll make it through to see the end.

Just an observation, but a gamepad makes the prologue feel much smoother. KB+Mouse controls were definitely half-baked.

So I went ahead and stopped my first playthrough as a human rogue halfway through. It was fun but I wasn't feeling the Rogue class as much as I thought I would. Started up again and went the route of an Elven mage. Wow what a difference. The hours have just bled away. One thing I missed about Origins was the subtle nuisances you get playing as something other than a human. Even more when you play as a Mage as well

tumm

Neo Member
FFS Bioware. I'm pretty sure my latest save is ruined thanks to this glitch. I can't switch characters or even hit the pause menu. I have to close the application to do anything now.

Pretty much means I'll have to start this dungeon over if I'm lucky.

Permadeath glitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaJnbFMmzo

Can you switch from the perma-death character? If you run a fair distance they should teleport to you, and should fix your guy dying over and over.

Crow, what do you want to do with your Sunday in Dragon Age?

Spend hours wandering around Storm Coast looking for that God damned last Essence Containment Apparatus, of course!

I have covered that area, looked at maps on-line, and even checked Bioware's forums. My concern is that I killed the enemies and missed the loot. So now it's just sitting on the ground somewhere.

hwalker84

FFS Bioware. I'm pretty sure my latest save is ruined thanks to this glitch. I can't switch characters or even hit the pause menu. I have to close the application to do anything now.

Pretty much means I'll have to start this dungeon over if I'm lucky.

Permadeath glitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaJnbFMmzo

I had this happen to my main character. I did the leaping shot which leapt me to my death and it saved as the battle was over. I kept wildly mashing buttons until eventually the start button worked so I could teleport to a new area.

LogicStep

Game is gorgeous and when running around, exploring and fighting it looks awesome. But then the dialogue comes in and I can't stop cringing at these robots.

Horns

How can you tell a single-handed weapon vs. a two-handed weapon in the inventory screen? I find myself having to equip them to figure it out.

Woorloog

Banned
How can you tell a single-handed weapon vs. a two-handed weapon in the inventory screen? I find myself having to equip them to figure it out.

Open comparison: great- prefix means two-handed weapon.
EDIT e.g. greatsword, greataxe... can't recall what's the term for two handed hammers/maces. Normal weapons are just sword, axe, mace.

dralla

Is there no way to heal between fights? This is my biggest complain right now. I get into a few fights and need to use some potions to heal, but then I run out and need to warp back to a camp area to replenish. It kills the momentum/pacing of exploring a new area. It seems like the "solution" is to constantly cast barriers on people so they don't lose health? But I feel like that's limiting in terms of strategy and party member selection, always needing a mage that can cast barrier.

And speaking of party members, are you guys sticking to the same few members or mixing it up? I only have good gear for a few of them so I've generally been sticking to the same 5 party members (excluding myself).

Here Lies The Abyss spoilers.

Was anyone else forced to choose between their Hawke and Alistair on their main playthrough? I'm pretty pissed at Bioware for forcing this choice. I mean my Hawke and Herald have killed dozens of high Dragons and are both powerful mages. With Alistair on our side why couldn't we try to kill that beast? It felt like a forced choice. And people who made Alistair king or a drunk didn't have to pick, there was some random Warden from DA2 that I can't even remember in his place.

I actually cried when I talked to Varric afterwards and he told me that story and said he had to let Isabelle know.

I put the game away for a while because I was too pissed and emotionally drained to continue. As annoying as Shit Mountain was, I really got invested in the characters. Being forced to choose between my Hawke and devastating Varric and Isabelle or my Warden's best friend was fucking terrible.

Please no spoilers for anything after that mission. I just had to vent.

Blunoise

man im still playing this game and finishing all dragons and side quest after the main story im happy with my decisions and hopefully there will be an expansion especially with my love interest cassandra although
she became the divine

I wasn't expecting Blackwall to be such an interesting character. He's a really neat take on the traditional "wizened warrior" that Bioware usually has in its games.

Good work, Bioware.

There are separate tabs for each category. 'All,' 'One-Handed,' 'Two-Handed,' etc.

When in doubt, switch tabs!

Here Lies The Abyss spoilers.

Was anyone else forced to choose between their Hawke and Alistair on their main playthrough? I'm pretty pissed at Bioware for forcing this choice. I mean my Hawke and Herald have killed dozens of high Dragons and are both powerful mages. With Alistair on our side why couldn't we try to kill that beast? It felt like a forced choice. And people who made Alistair king or a drunk didn't have to pick, there was some random Warden from DA2 that I can't even remember in his place.

I actually cried when I talked to Varric afterwards and he told me that story and said he had to let Isabelle know.

I put the game away for a while because I was too pissed and emotionally drained to continue. As annoying as Shit Mountain was, I really got invested in the characters. Being forced to choose between my Hawke and devastating Varric and Isabelle or my Warden's best friend was fucking terrible.

Please no spoilers for anything after that mission. I just had to vent.

I... didn't realise it could go down that way.
What a rough decision.

Even with the Duncan stand-in I still sacrificed my Hawke, because I knew she could get it done. Then I, too, had to put the game down for a bit after that... that sort of thing is always a difficult choice.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there no way to heal between fights? This is my biggest complain right now. I get into a few fights and need to use some potions to heal, but then I run out and need to warp back to a camp area to replenish. It kills the momentum/pacing of exploring a new area. It seems like the "solution" is to constantly cast barriers on people so they don't lose health? But I feel like that's limiting in terms of strategy and party member selection, always needing a mage that can cast barrier.

A barrier is a must. Warriors have "Guard" that is analogous to barriers.

Horns

I wasn't expecting Blackwall to be such an interesting character. He's a really neat take on the traditional "wizened warrior" that Bioware usually has in its games.

Good work, Bioware.

There are separate tabs for each category. 'All,' 'One-Handed,' 'Two-Handed,' etc.

When in doubt, switch tabs!

That makes sense. Still, an icon or text would have been helpful as well.

Top Bottom