• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Hystzen

Blackwall also does sly sarcastic comments to Viv when she tries giving him shit. Blackwall is great personality wise when get used to him

Blackwall also does sly sarcastic comments to Viv when she tries giving him shit. Blackwall is great personality wise when get used to him
Blackwall and Sera also have great banter. If bringing a Rogue wasn't for the most part worthless I'd take her along every time.

Blackwall and Sera also have great banter. If bringing a Rogue wasn't for the most part worthless I'd take her along every time.

I hate the fact you have to bring a Rogue to unlock doors.... Sera is somewhat too squishy for my party considering I'm a mage and cannot allow too many squishies!

Useless rogue? I have 2 in my party lol (myself and Sera).

Exactly. Was the same for me in my last playthrough.

Sera also destroys shit when she gets her Tempest ability and a decent bow.
I hate the fact you have to bring a Rogue to unlock doors.... Sera is somewhat too squishy for my party considering I'm a mage and cannot allow too many squishies!

You can bring two tanks and Sera with that setup. I don't see the problem.
how does one exactly leave the hinterlands
i'm currently on sidequest 326/∞

You don't. That's the game.

Neoweee

FFS, leave the Hinterlands!

There's a glut of zones and quests in the 8-11 level range, including some of the better zones and most of the companion quests. If you go all completionist in the Hinterlands and a bit of the other 3 starter areas, you'll likely push past doing the 8-11 tier when you're actually in that range.

Also, I had no idea Here Lies the Abyss could play out that way. I did a fairly random Keep backstory, and didn't know that things were that tailored to the previous games.

A handful with no significant loot. Plus those other doors require 7 points in Secrets, which is stupid.

I have no reason to bring a rogue. I have myself, a mage, Vivienne, Blackwall, and Cassandra.

Blackwall is a fucking tank, especially after giving him a shield that ups his health by 100.

Neoweee

A handful with no significant loot. Plus those other doors require 7 points in Secrets, which is stupid.

I have no reason to bring a rogue. I have myself, a mage, Vivienne, Blackwall, and Cassandra.

Blackwall is a fucking tank, especially after giving him a shield that ups his health by 100.

"Points" in Secrets isn't entirely accurate. Agents buff that #, so it could be 1 point in Secrets.

dralla

Rogue's do some insane damage with the right gear and abilities. Archers specifically, I haven't found much use for dagger builds.

If its a door that just says 'Requires a rogue' then try getting your tank to smash it open.

If its a door that requires deft hands then that's a perk.

Here Lies The Abyss spoilers.

Was anyone else forced to choose between their Hawke and Alistair on their main playthrough? I'm pretty pissed at Bioware for forcing this choice. I mean my Hawke and Herald have killed dozens of high Dragons and are both powerful mages. With Alistair on our side why couldn't we try to kill that beast? It felt like a forced choice. And people who made Alistair king or a drunk didn't have to pick, there was some random Warden from DA2 that I can't even remember in his place.

I actually cried when I talked to Varric afterwards and he told me that story and said he had to let Isabelle know.

I put the game away for a while because I was too pissed and emotionally drained to continue. As annoying as Shit Mountain was, I really got invested in the characters. Being forced to choose between my Hawke and devastating Varric and Isabelle or my Warden's best friend was fucking terrible.

Please no spoilers for anything after that mission. I just had to vent.

For me it was a choice between
Hawke and Loghain. I chose Loghain. I was halfway tempted to choose Hawke just because of the emotional gravity but in the end I would rather see a happy ending for him. If I ever replay I will probably set up a Keep State with a Warden Alastair so I can see how that choice plays out.

How can you tell a single-handed weapon vs. a two-handed weapon in the inventory screen? I find myself having to equip them to figure it out.

Select the individual weapon type tabs. One handed has a separate tab from two handed.

Yep, I've got Sera built with daggers in mind and she does BY FAR the highest DPS out of anyone in my party. My party is only around level 10-11 and she is doing around 195 DPS per hand with those daggers...at least.

I love the shit out of this game. I know I should be playing more Bayo or Far Cry or some of the numerous games I got on that most recent Steam sale, but I can't get myself to really play anything else until I've got this game wrapped up, which sounds like it could still be another 80-100 hours away.

Hystzen

Rogues are nowhere near useless my assassin archer can solo brutes it all about positioning and flanks. Archers lance with good bow can drop 2-3 enemies at once

Yeah I'm playing Dual Dagger Rogue as my PC and he does insane damage. And I usually have either Varric or Sera in my party as archers and they more than pull their weight.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yep, I've got Sera built with daggers in mind and she does BY FAR the highest DPS out of anyone in my party. My party is only around level 10-11 and she is doing around 195 DPS per hand with those daggers...at least.

I love the shit out of this game. I know I should be playing more Bayo or Far Cry or some of the numerous games I got on that most recent Steam sale, but I can't get myself to really play anything else until I've got this game wrapped up, which sounds like it could still be another 80-100 hours away.

Just boggles my mind at how large this game is - I just passed 100 hours with my first build on nightmare. And there's so much content left - haven't even done the second story mission (after you reach Skyhold). And I still need to play as an elf, as a dwarf, as a Qunari. Not sad about the delay for Witcher 3, since I will need all that time to get through DAI. Haven't even touched the mp yet.

My only concern is how they will follow up on this game - the standard has been raised in a massive way.

Hawke and Loghain. I chose Loghain. I was halfway tempted to choose Hawke just because of the emotional gravity but in the end I would rather see a happy ending for him. If I ever replay I will probably set up a Keep State with a Warden Alastair so I can see how that choice plays out.

What.
LOGHAIN?!?!!? I would've loved to see the old chap... My world state is atrocious.

What did you do to trigger his appearance? Because I recall leaving him alive in my world state and I've never gotten so much as a whiff of him.

Just boggles my mind at how large this game is - I just passed 100 hours with my first build on nightmare. And there's so much content left - haven't even done the second story mission (after you reach Skyhold). And I still need to play as an elf, as a dwarf, as a Qunari. Not sad about the delay for Witcher 3, since I will need all that time to get through DAI. Haven't even touched the mp yet.

My only concern is how they will follow up on this game - the standard has been raised in a massive way.
They've stepped up their game in the best way they can - by leveraging their huge budget/studio size and EA's network infrastructure.

If they continue with the huge scale and the Dragon Age Keep's relevance, they'll have something very special on their hands.

Got all the masterwork shit at level 9. Actually 11 now. Doing the tomb mission and reading codexes gave me 2 full levels lol.

RIP in peace, game.

Hystzen

Can you post your build? Thx

Can't take pic at moment but

Weapon
Masterwork spike bow with 10% hidden blade chance (It seems more then 10%),12% flank damage and master corruption rune , 128 damage , 9% attack, +15 cunning and 20 Dex.

Rings
Superb ring of flanking
Superb ring of crit damage

Perks.
First blood
Death from above
Pincushion
Archers lance
Exploding shot
Leap shot

Assassin
Hidden blade upto overkill (that can take out Mages, archers easily)
Throat cutter
Gaps in armour
Knife in shadow
I was never here

Subterfuge
Stealth
Evasion
Evade
Ambush

Gvaz

Banned
Okay, so only have Glave to finish, the main quest, and a couple side quests here and there. Done all the companion quests...I guess.

Dorian really wants to jump my bones but I want cassasandra, and iron bull hasn't talked to me (also I can't find him)

hitlerat

Can't take pic at moment but

Weapon
Masterwork spike bow with 10% hidden blade chance (It seems more then 10%),12% flank damage and master corruption rune , 128 damage , 9% attack, +15 cunning and 20 Dex.

Rings
Superb ring of flanking
Superb ring of crit damage

Perks.
First blood
Death from above
Pincushion
Archers lance
Exploding shot
Leap shot

Assassin
Hidden blade upto overkill (that can take out Mages, archers easily)
Throat cutter
Gaps in armour
Knife in shadow
I was never here

Subterfuge
Stealth
Evasion
Evade
Ambush

Thx man!
Do you use Iron Bull 2H with your archer?

Killzig

Okay, so only have Glave to finish, the main quest, and a couple side quests here and there. Done all the companion quests...I guess.

Dorian really wants to jump my bones but I want cassasandra, and iron bull hasn't talked to me (also I can't find him)

He should be in the first floor of the tavern.

Zafir

What.
LOGHAIN?!?!!? I would've loved to see the old chap... My world state is atrocious.

What did you do to trigger his appearance? Because I recall leaving him alive in my world state and I've never gotten so much as a whiff of him.

You need to have made him a grey warden in the first game, no? He replaces Stroud then. Otherwise, if Alistair is still a grey warden, and you didn't make loghain one, then he appears.

tcrunch

The masterwork material that gives me +10 magic on kill also makes my armor use a bright yellow plaid pattern on the cloth parts.

Levyne

Banned
The more I play this, the more it drops down my GotY list. There are parts of it that I love. The areas are large, dense, and gorgeous. Seeing pre and post-Crestwood was quite a sight. The combat I don't think is as bad as some of the dramatic people who say "it's not as good as Dragon's Dogma, DAI combat is garbage", I think it's fine.

But just little niggling things keep bothering me. So many of the quests are such chores. Go fetch this ring, go burn 3 bodies, find this person, pls go into this cave and kill a bear. Rifts rifts rifts. I think Skyrim (Skyrim!) had better quest design ignoring the radiant quests. (DAI blows that away on world design though.)

And that's ignoring the collections, shards, the places you claim. Mosaics. When I got a quest to find 48 copies of Hard in Hightown in Skyhold...sigh. That on top of unimaginative rings that just enhance ability damage for one ability, having to go back to the war table each time, not having a storage box to supplement your inventory, not being able to distribute stats separate from abilities....none of these things on their own is a deal breaker, or even a big deal at all. But combined, I'm just not loving the game as much as I wished I would with those things considered.

I do actually like the crafting, though. And it's still a huge step up from DA2.

JeffG

But just little niggling things keep bothering me. So many of the quests are such chores. Go fetch this ring, go burn 3 bodies, find this person, pls go into this cave and kill a bear. Rifts rifts rifts. I think Skyrim (Skyrim!) had better quest design ignoring the radiant quests. (DAI blows that away on world design though.)
Then why do them? Just ignore them.

I am on playthrough #3 right now. The fetch quests I will complete them if I happen to bump into it. I purposefully don't do every quest in each game, so that I will have something new on the next playthrough.

The time I will go dragon hunting.

I did start ignoring collections and requisitions, but yes, I could add to the list.

I actually don't understand requisitions. Are they just a way to gain power points? Because it seems like for any given area, they just repeat endlessly with variations on the same basic requirements. Resource gathering is enough of a chore just to refill potions, I find.

tcrunch

Then why do them? Just ignore them.

I am on playthrough #3 right now. The fetch quests I will complete them if I happen to bump into it. I purposefully don't do every quest in each game, so that I will have something new on the next playthrough.

The time I will go dragon hunting.

This guy gets it. You only have to do quests you enjoy and you shouldn't expect to 100% the game every playthrough.

If you don't like any quests outside of the main storyline and don't enjoy exploring (which is perfectly fine if you feel that way), you should probably try a more linear game.

Also requisitions lady is evil. She wants your precious mats. Ignore her.

I expect that you guys saw that the patch missed its targeted date of tomorrow but is still coming? And that more patches will come?

I want my potions to be fixed - I got the upgrade but nothing happened;(

I actually don't understand requisitions. Are they just a way to gain power points? Because it seems like for any given area, they just repeat endlessly with variations on the same basic requirements. Resource gathering is enough of a chore just to refill potions, I find.
I think they're there as an easy, non-combat way to pad out your power. During the later parts of the game, the tier-1 mats will be entirely useless, making reqs a more worthwhile way to use them.

Of course, it'd make more sense if the missions had a greater power ramp. (Though DLC might change things, depending on how they implement it.)

You need to have made him a grey warden in the first game, no? He replaces Stroud then. Otherwise, if Alistair is still a grey warden, and you didn't make loghain one, then he appears.
I see, that makes sense.

Thank you!

Kimaka

I am not a fan of this open world design. Five hours into the Hinterlands, I'm already sick of this place. None of the side quests are remotely interesting. They are just go here and kill all of these dudes or collect stuff. I think I am just going to try to critical path the game if every location is like this.

I don't like that I auto accept quests when I talk to NPCs. My journal is filled with side quests that I have no inclination to complete outside of removing them from the journal. I wish I could abandon them.

Val Royeaux is beautiful. Silly hats everywhere. I would like a silly hat too.

The Templar leaders are still dicks I see. I was thinking about being a mage hating Qunari since I always choose mages in the other games, but they make it hard.
Punching an old person out of nowhere. wtf

Respect

Probably been answered before, but unable to do much searching at work right now. In regard to weapon runes, if I put a class specific damaging rune (corrupting/dragon/etc.) in my weapon, the DPS abilities are based off of this higher DPS number, regardless if the spell/ability is being used on the specific class the rune does damage to correct?

EDIT: Thanks Luker!

Hystzen

Probably having cert issues for getting console patch out. Didn't MS have issue with patch sizes or was that just free DLC being a certain size they moaned at

Probably been answered before, but unable to do much searching at work right now. In regard to weapon runes, if I put a class specific damaging rune (corrupting/dragon/etc.) in my weapon, the DPS abilities are based off of this higher DPS number, regardless if the spell/ability is being used on the specific class the rune does damage to correct?

Final DPS is what is shown, regardless of whether its conditional or not.

Don't do it. It's the worst thing in the world.

Dead

well not really...yet
Here Lies The Abyss spoilers.

Was anyone else forced to choose between their Hawke and Alistair on their main playthrough? I'm pretty pissed at Bioware for forcing this choice. I mean my Hawke and Herald have killed dozens of high Dragons and are both powerful mages. With Alistair on our side why couldn't we try to kill that beast? It felt like a forced choice. And people who made Alistair king or a drunk didn't have to pick, there was some random Warden from DA2 that I can't even remember in his place.

I actually cried when I talked to Varric afterwards and he told me that story and said he had to let Isabelle know.

I put the game away for a while because I was too pissed and emotionally drained to continue. As annoying as Shit Mountain was, I really got invested in the characters. Being forced to choose between my Hawke and devastating Varric and Isabelle or my Warden's best friend was fucking terrible.

Please no spoilers for anything after that mission. I just had to vent.
i had Logain as my warden. His sacrifice will for good correct his past misdeeds

SerRodrik

I'm really enjoying the game, and it's a massive improvement from DA2, but I have a lot of issues too. The combat is alright but I still haven't had to really break a sweat in battles or change up my tactics in any way, and I'm playing on hard. Maybe that's a good thing, because I'm not sure the tactical camera, KB&M controls, or AI are really up to the task. I'll have to see how well the game is balanced on nightmare in my next playthrough. There are also more minor issues, like the fetch quests and the kind of bland loot.

In a way, I kind of wish I could see what the series could have been if they had continued refining what they had with Dragon Age Origins (which had it's own problems, but was probably still closer to what I would have wanted) rather than continuously trying to reinvent what the series is.

Like I said, I'm still really enjoying the game though. I might wrap up the companion quests I have and then finish the game to see if Bioware sticks the landing story-wise.

I don't like that I auto accept quests when I talk to NPCs. My journal is filled with side quests that I have no inclination to complete outside of removing them from the journal. I wish I could abandon them.
That is annoying. The game does a poor job of actually letting you know after you've talked to someone that a quest opened up or not. Next thing you know when you open up your journal, you've got a bunch of fetch quests piled up.

In a way, I kind of wish I could see what the series could have been if they had continued refining what they had with Dragon Age Origins (which had it's own problems, but was probably still closer to what I would have wanted) rather than continuously trying to reinvent what the series is.

Origins wasn't perfect by any means but I always thought it provided a good foundation on which to build from. Shame, DA2 happened and now BioWare seems intent on moving farther and farther away from any kind of interesting tactical combat.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

when do things like that happen?

I'm 20 hours in, and I've barely heard anyone talk aside from Solas on the rare occasion

Top Bottom