• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

pahamrick

when do things like that happen?

I'm 20 hours in, and I've barely heard anyone talk aside from Solas on the rare occasion

When you take them out with you in the party. If you're not hearing party banter, you could have the banter bug.

I have the bug on my Rogue, and ended up quitting playing him. 14ish hours and have only heard two bits of party banter.

when do things like that happen?

I'm 20 hours in, and I've barely heard anyone talk aside from Solas on the rare occasion

If you don't spend 10% of your gametime wandering around Haven or Skyhold talking to people you're doing something wrong.

FakeEdit: Oh, or it's the banter bug. :(

Sorry, but I'm clearing out the Hinterlands as much as possible before moving on to Orlais. Have a few more rifts and that
vault in Valammar
plus Redcliffe. Currently a level 9 DW Rouge and my party (still the original 3) are at level 8 and I still get pretty handidly owned while closing some rifts if I get mobbed by Rage demons or demons + corpse archers in the Fallow Mire. Playing on Nightmare though so I don't feel bad about leveling myself up as much as I can; in fact, it doesn't ruin anything for me if I get powerful enough to steamroll certain parts after I finally leave the Hinterlands. That's fun for me: start out a whelp getting owned by Shades and wild Mabari and fight my way to the top of the food chain.

This game is great though. I find Tactical View combat satisfying except for that terrible camera control and potion system, while annoying at times, certainly keeps things on a knife's edge.

LuuKyK

After 30 hours I finally reached Skyhold and holy shit, this is giving me Suikoden vibes of having my own castle etc.

This game is too good.

Btw, I love Sera's description of Viv, "she is a bitch and she knows it" lol.

Tabby

I'll be honest, played for 20 hours and I heard little banter and I thought it was normal.
"It's a huge game, they're spacing the banter out I see that makes sense."
Then I started playing on the PS4 AND noticed it wasn't normal.

I'll be honest, played for 20 hours and I heard little banter and I thought it was normal.
"It's a huge game, they're spacing the banter out I see that makes sense."
Then I started playing on the PS4 AND noticed it wasn't normal.

I barely hear anything on PC....

Oh well, gives me more of an excuse for a second playthrough. Can't argue with that!

pixlexic

Banned
Ps4 has a bug where you can only select a dialog choice if you press the command wheel button.

For anyone who gets stuck on a dialog.

Make sure that all of the little star markers in the Journal and codex are gone, especially in the completed quests. There is a glitch where quests won't totally complete despite they being done. Getting rid of the marker in the completed quests journal will cause the quest to "pop" and complete. Banter is tied to progression, so if a quest doesn't pop when completed you won't get banter.

Also it wouldn't hurt to clear the stars off of everything in the Inventory too. Also, turn off Share Usage Data in the network settings or just play offline, and never back out of the wartable. Backing out will cause all ambient music to completely stop. Always fast travel out of the wartable.

I didn't have banter for the first few hours then I did all of that and now I get it all of the time.

Some people just won't though because banter is a timed random thing, there aren't trigger points like in the past games. I've had banter trigger a foot in front of entering combat with an arcane horror before. My wife does all of the fixes and gets banter about half the time I do, though before she got none.

I'm on the PS4 as well and the banter bug is on all consoles. Most people get it but a few won't for whatever reason.

Shit :(
Anyone know what i need to craft fot my DW Rogue Tempest ? I'm level 15 and have killed 3 dragons already ... Tough but i think I need to probably start crafting now ?

I know i need stuff from the hissing waste but I need help on what gears I need for my guy

Daggers:
Armor+Upgrades(i heard i need the guard on hit and proccing hidden blades?)
Head Gear:
Rings:
Amulet:
Belt:

TheHall

Ps4 has a bug where you can only select a dialog choice if you press the command wheel button.

For anyone who gets stuck on a dialog.

I'm also having a problem during the Warden quest where Stroud keeps giving me the deathstare until i press SKIP conversation.

Still don't know what gets skipped as they reply to something i should have said.

I'm also having a problem during the Warden quest where Stroud keeps giving me the deathstare until i press SKIP conversation.

Still don't know what gets skipped as they reply to something i should have said.
Let it sit for a minute and it will reload the dialog when the choice timer runs out.

spekkeh

Banned
This guy gets it. You only have to do quests you enjoy and you shouldn't expect to 100% the game every playthrough.

If you don't like any quests outside of the main storyline and don't enjoy exploring (which is perfectly fine if you feel that way), you should probably try a more linear game.

Also requisitions lady is evil. She wants your precious mats. Ignore her.
I always feel people who say this are playing a different game (or simply enjoy much more of the quests), it's impossible to only do quests I enjoy because a) you don't really know beforehand whether you do, and b) you can't play the main missions because of power requirements.

For the people who want to defend this setup ('play a more linear game') I just have to ask what setup you prefer:

'Commander Shepard we have picked up a distress signal from an away team on Proximus five, we should check it out right away'

or

'Inquisitor we have received word that our scouting party is under attack in the hissing wastes, you should go back to the fucking Hinterlands to grind rift gates for three hours so you have enough arbitrary power to go search for the scouts' corpses, or not, seeing as it may not even have a cutscene let alone be voiced, and in general could be a waste of your precious power'.

Cause the latter sure takes away any urgency I had been feeling up till that point.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
When you take them out with you in the party. If you're not hearing party banter, you could have the banter bug.

I have the bug on my Rogue, and ended up quitting playing him. 14ish hours and have only heard two bits of party banter.

Yea I've used both of them in my party, and I spend hours and hours wandering around Haven talking to my characters, all those options are exhausted.

but yea in the field, they never talk to each other.

is that a bug? I have quiet a few bugs in my game actually (a lot tied to dialogue, the wheel either doesn't show up or gets stuck occasionally)

any fixes? what a bummer

luxarific

Nork unification denier
lol, there are people in the main Bioware thread on this on their forum stating that this bug doesn't exist or it's because people don't know how to play the game and aren't mixing up their parties. So fucking annoying. If you have the bug, you will know, because you will literally be getting no banter or only one or two banter exchanges PER REGION over the course of HOURS. It's a definite bug - just be glad you don't have it and don't argue with people are experiencing it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Just note - clearing the journal and traveling from the war table don't always fix the bug. I've tried both and I'm still experiencing it. I'm going to try this new workaround tonight (loading your last autosave upon entry into a region):

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/530729-highlighting-new-banter-bug-workaround/

EDIT: I haven't tried not sharing usage data though, so I will try this tonight. I've been applying all these fixes with Origin "offline" - clearing the Journal and only fast traveling from the war table didn't solve the issue for me when I did this. If there's another option to not share usage data (in addition to Origin being offline), I will try that tonight though.

I always feel people who say this are playing a different game (or simply enjoy much more of the quests), it's impossible to only do quests I enjoy because a) you don't really know beforehand whether you do, and b) you can't play the main missions because of power requirements.

For the people who want to defend this setup ('play a more linear game') I just have to ask what setup you prefer:

'Commander Shepard we have picked up a distress signal from an away team on Proximus five, we should check it out right away'

or

'Inquisitor we have received word that our scouting party is under attack in the hissing wastes, you should go back to the fucking Hinterlands to grind rift gates for three hours so you have enough arbitrary power to go search for the scouts' corpses, or not, seeing as it may not even have a cutscene let alone be voiced, and in general could be a waste of your precious power'.

Cause the latter sure takes away any urgency I had been feeling up till that point.

Before you know it you're drowning in power. There's really no reason to worry about it.

In-setting, the Inquisitor is one person, and they can't be expected to handle everything. Decide what is worth your time and presumably delegate out the rest. If you don't enjoy one of the tasks, skip it. If you enjoy none of the tasks, well... you're playing the wrong game.

Really, if you think back to DAO the gameplay loop was largely similar: a few hours composed largely of combat, looting, or town adventures followed by conversations & cutscenes. DAI has changed very little while actually enhancing the things that matter - the impact of the cutscenes, the design of the levels, the amount of stuff, etc, while simultaneously providing enough content to satisfy multiple playthroughs in unique ways. I'd even go so far as to call it a bold and luxurious reimagining of the Origin system that DAO featured.

lol, there are people in the main Bioware thread on this on their forum stating that this bug doesn't exist or it's because people don't know how to play the game and aren't mixing up their parties. So fucking annoying. If you have the bug, you will know, because you will literally be getting no banter or only one or two banter exchanges PER REGION over the course of HOURS. It's a definite bug - just be glad you don't have it and don't argue with people are experiencing it.
The size of the world makes it really easy to dismiss initially, so I can't really blame them for assuming it... you'll hear just enough banter to hear other players talking about it and go, "I experienced that!" without realizing the depth of your loss.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the absolute lavish nature of every other aspect of the game, I'd still be dismissing the banter bug as hyperbole or something.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Origins wasn't perfect by any means but I always thought it provided a good foundation on which to build from. Shame, DA2 happened and now BioWare seems intent on moving farther and farther away from any kind of interesting tactical combat.

It is a damn shame. Origins was a great foundation. It had plenty of room for improvement, but the core was there. It's only got progressively worse with the following games.

Inquisition is still a very enjoyable game, but that's mainly thanks to the character interaction and beautiful visuals (which won't stand the test of time) with plenty of places to explore. I feel like, in terms of gameplay and what you actually *do* during the minute-to-minute gameplay, it's the worst in the series.

Generally if you are looking for the best sidequests then just do the area story quests. This is what you are briefed on when the area opens up in The War Table and Scout Hardin will tell you the first step when you arrive in the area. You can also track it in the journal. They can be pretty elaborate and these quests IMO are generally high quality though they do not offer a lot of substantial dialogue/character interaction (though there is usually some). You will also likely get linked to most of the game's separate dungeons (though not all) by doing these and the dungeons tend to be pretty high quality as well. You will likely get quite a bit of Power just following this chain.

Basically for anyone who keeps getting burned out on "filler" (I don't agree personally) you should be able to get a quality 40+ hour RPG experience just by doing:

-Main quests
-Character Relationship Quests
-Area Sidequests and Associated Dungeons

If Power is still a concern then you can get easy Power boosts just by closing any fade rifts that you see along the way and if that still isn't enough then cash in Requisitions for materials that you probably accumulated doing the above.

Hystzen

I always back out of war table and also fast travel via quest map screen and seem get banter eh maybe less effected on PS4 which playing on.

Also goddamn at Bulls banter with Cass about boob armour and how useless it is

The size of the world makes it really easy to dismiss initially, so I can't really blame them for assuming it... you'll hear just enough banter to hear other players talking about it and go, "I experienced that!" without realizing the depth of your loss.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the absolute lavish nature of every other aspect of the game, I'd still be dismissing the banter bug as hyperbole or something.

Yeah, it didn't become super obvious to me until I listed to the banter compilations on Youtube for each character. When I heard the Cassandra/Varric compilation (who have been in my party more often than not) I realized that I had heard all of the banter up to a certain point and then it stopped despite the fact that I had completed the obvious trigger scenes for the banters (early Act 2 spoilers)
The Varric "book" scene and meeting up with Hawke
. On top of that I had reached a point where I got maybe 2 banters in 6 or so hours of playing and I had been changing up my party quite a bit trying to force banter.

Sure enough I tried the journal fix and the War Table fix and now I get banter far more regularly and the Cass/Varric banters I mentioned above finally started firing.

So it seems my banter was working up until around when I arrived at Skyhold and then it bugged out.

I always back out of war table and also fast travel via quest map screen and seem get banter eh maybe less effected on PS4 which playing on.

Also goddamn at Bulls banter with Cass about boob armour and how useless it is

While no one (including Bioware unfortunately) seem to know how the bug is triggered, it definitely seems like some people never get it. Sounds like you are one of the fortunate ones.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Eh, it's pretty obvious that something is wrong if you have it - the banter is just so minimal and if you've been following any of Bioware's PR for the game, you know they have hours of VA work recorded. Yesterday I played for a six hours stretch, spanning two regions and Skyhold - got three banter exchanges (one of which was a repeat, between Vivienne and Dorien). I wasn't expecting banter ever 10-20 minutes, like some people are getting, but one exchange per hour would be a minimum. And I'm not even seeing that.

I actually had someone tell me that it was because I wasn't switching up my party often enough, which is just so obliviously obnoxious it boggles.

Kenaras

Generally if you are looking for the best sidequests then just do the area story quests. This is what you are briefed on when the area opens up in The War Table and Scout Hardin will tell you the first step when you arrive in the area. You can also track it in the journal. They can be pretty elaborate and these quests IMO are generally high quality though they do not offer a lot of substantial dialogue/character interaction (though there is usually some). You will also likely get linked to most of the game's separate dungeons (though not all) by doing these and the dungeons tend to be pretty high quality as well. You will likely get quite a bit of Power just following this chain.

Agreed. In addition, within each zone, the quest journal is sorted in order of importance. If you're not sure which quests to do, just start at the top. (Main quests are at the top, rifts and camps in the middle, frivolous fetch quests at the bottom, and requisitions dead last.)

For anyone who finds none of the side quests worth doing, this clearly isn't the game for them. That's too bad, but no game is for everyone—and judging by Inquisition's reception, it's a very small minority who have this problem.

Banter Bug? Does it affect all characters or only certain ones? Because I hear banter somewhat frequently with Varric, Solas, and Cassandra in my party, but when I bring out Blackwall, Dorian, and Iron Bull I notice a lot less banter happens, and its usually event related.

ok so is it just me or does nightmare difficulty make the party AI even dumber? had cassandra spend a whole fight running after an enemy that was running after me, while sera and vivienne ran after each other in a circle.

done with this game tbh. bioware do something about this shit.

xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif

Banter Bug? Does it affect all characters or only certain ones? Because I hear banter somewhat frequently with Varric, Solas, and Cassandra in my party, but when I bring out Blackwall, Dorian, and Iron Bull I notice a lot less banter happens, and its usually event related.

I don't know if anyone knows how it all works. But there is a ton of banter for every pairing in the game. So every 4 man (including the PC) party composition in the game has three different banter pairings that should be firing regularly. If that isn't happening then you probably have the bug.

Agreed. In addition, within each zone, the quest journal is sorted in order of importance. If you're not sure which quests to do, just start at the top. (Main quests are at the top, rifts and camps in the middle, frivolous fetch quests at the bottom, and requisitions dead last.)

Holy crap, 80 or so hours with the game and I never realized the journal was posted in priority order!

Jisgsaw

Shit :(
Anyone know what i need to craft fot my DW Rogue Tempest ? I'm level 15 and have killed 3 dragons already ... Tough but i think I need to probably start crafting now ?

I know i need stuff from the hissing waste but I need help on what gears I need for my guy

Daggers:
Armor+Upgrades(i heard i need the guard on hit and proccing hidden blades?)
Head Gear:
Rings:
Amulet:
Belt:

Yeah, try to get that Hidden Blade with 5 additional hit, that passive is awesome.

I'd also be interested in the best craftable daggers, as right now I'm running around with two (pretty good) looted daggers.

BTW, DW dagger + Tempest is pretty OP with Fire Flask+ + Deathblow+, even though I miss the garanteed criticals passives from the assassin.
You can spam deathblow up to four to five times in succession that way, which is doing insane amout of damage (I was hitting a downed dragon for 10k damage (per hit, so 20k per deathblow activation) that way).

Main quests missions are marked on the wartable, so if you just want to rush threw the game, just do those (even though that'd be missing out on the game).
The only other missions that require power unlock new regions, so I'd definitvely wouldn't count that as "wasted power".

Is the default music in Skyhold supposed to be the really repetitive drums? I remember that from back in one of the streams they did and they claimed it was placeholder music, but its pretty much there in my game. Unless that's another bug.

For anyone who finds none of the side quests worth doing, this clearly isn't the game for them. That's too bad, but no game is for everyone—and judging by Inquisition's reception, it's a very small minority who have this problem.

Even the top tier side quests are pretty bare bones in terms of presentation and actual narrative. Granted, I still have a ton to go in the game but about 40+ hours in so far and I really struggle to think of any inventive or memorable second tier sort of characters from side quests in Inquisition.

And I feel like a lot of the voice acting for those sort of second or third tier characters is pretty bad. Like some Dalish you run across in the Exalted Plains, it sounds like they just grabbed some Welsh guy off the street and had him read a piece of paper with a bunch of High Fantasy proper nouns in it. Really stilted stuff.

Neoweee

The system in which banter and remarks trigger must be ungodly complicated. It feels like quest-related banter will reset the timer for regular banter. It also depends on what zones you're in, what you're doing, etc.

The initial party you list I think has an irregularly large amount of banter because the average time they're with you is longer, but not by much? My Blackwall has been relatively quiet (never one of my mains for long). Dorian's been super chatty, and Dorian + Iron Bull has triggered a tons of time for me despite me rarely using IB.

Then there's full three-way dialogues, which are just nuts. How? So... many... options...

Different quests have different dialogue during events, too. Cole in Crestwood, Solas in one of the later game story quests, have been some of the highlights of character interactions.

The "bug" is hard to diagnose and quantify due to the events firing at such an inconsistent rate in the first place. That's why it took a week after release for people to really pool together evidence, and why Bioware had such a hard time diagnosing it.

ok so is it just me or does nightmare difficulty make the party AI even dumber? had cassandra spend a whole fight running after an enemy that was running after me, while sera and vivienne ran after each other in a circle.

done with this game tbh. bioware do something about this shit.

xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif
xi7Eu2g.gif

You have a shitload of options with regards to AI and skill settings. Give Cassandra the hook. Change her to NOT follow your Inquisitor's target. Give her ranged skills, or charges, or the ranged taunt. Better yet, give the Hook or the ranged Taunt the STAR priority.

Is the default music in Skyhold supposed to be the really repetitive drums? I remember that from back in one of the streams they did and they claimed it was placeholder music, but its pretty much there in my game. Unless that's another bug.

It's a bug. For me it fixes itself if I go to the wartable and then exit.

I know they said it was placeholder in that stream but I suspect that they got hit by the bug too.

It's a bug. For me it fixes itself if I go to the wartable and then exit.

I know they said it was placeholder in that stream but I suspect that they got hit by the bug too.
You're fixing a bug with another bug. The drums are supposed to be in Skyhold, but backing out of the wartable disables all ambient music.

You're fixing a bug with another bug. The drums are supposed to be in Skyhold, but backing out of the wartable disables all ambient music.

I don't think Skyhold is supposed to have any ambient music. Drums are supposed to be only for the War Table but the bug causes it to play continuously in Skyhold.

i've been fooling around with the tactics menu for so long and trying every combination of defend/follow and setting skills to priority, but the AI is still so unbelievably braindead. like, they do nothing but run into fire, stand on mines and other harmful things. even the 12 potions i unlocked get eaten up quickly, while cassandra stands in the fire blast drinking potions.

Grinchy

Banned
So I went ahead and stopped my first playthrough as a human rogue halfway through. It was fun but I wasn't feeling the Rogue class as much as I thought I would. Started up again and went the route of an Elven mage. Wow what a difference. The hours have just bled away. One thing I missed about Origins was the subtle nuisances you get playing as something other than a human. Even more when you play as a Mage as well

I picked Elven mage right away because I wanted to be the most hated I could be. I kinda wish people hated me more than they do.

I picked Elven mage right away because I wanted to be the most hated I could be. I kinda wish people hated me more than they do.
Try being a Qunari.

Though not being either a human or elf has some problems. Since races were only added in the last year the super tall Qunari or super short dwarves weren't optimized for cut scenes and clipping. Half of all cut scenes cut off my head or my massive head and staff block people's faces. My qunari also clips into a lot of stuff.

tcrunch

i've been fooling around with the tactics menu for so long and trying every combination of defend/follow and setting skills to priority, but the AI is still so unbelievably braindead. like, they do nothing but run into fire, stand on mines and other harmful things. even the 12 potions i unlocked get eaten up quickly, while cassandra stands in the fire blast drinking potions.

1) The pride demon is charging its dual electrowhip. What do you do?
a. If tank, carefully rotate around the demon so that the whip is aimed at your allies when it comes down
b. If rogue, run from the last safe place you were positioned directly into the path of the attack
c. If mage, you are already dead because you refused to leave melee range and got sideswiped to death

2) You are the tank. There is a mage enemy in front of you. He has an ice mine on his left and an ice mine on his right, with a clear path through the middle. What do you do?
a. Run through left ice mine
b. Run through right ice mine
c. Run through both ice mines

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I love the game, but there are major sound issues - did you know armor was supposed to be making a noise? Also, I never thought that I'd say there's not enough BGM, but there's really not enough BGM.\

Also agree with the complaints re the brain-dead AI. The only way I've figured out how to beat it is by upgrading my armor and weapons so that I don't have to micromanage every fight (playing on nightmare). Equipped with anything under tier 2 schematics was a tedious exercise since the AI is so broken. That's probably my biggest complaint (after the banter bug) re the game, after the amazing tactical control that DAO and DA2 gave us. People wouldn't be complaining about the loss of most healing spells if the AI wasn't so dedicated to suicide.

spekkeh

Banned
Before you know it you're drowning in power.
...I'm 30 hours in.
Really, if you think back to DAO the gameplay loop was largely similar: a few hours composed largely of combat, looting, or town adventures followed by conversations & cutscenes.
I was done with DAO before 30 hours. It was much tighter and even that overstayed its welcome

(to be frank I like this game over DAO, at least the scenery is nicer)

Zocano

Finished the quest immediately after "What Pride Had Wrought". Woof. Didn't expect that but I probably should have. Legit shook, though.

Anyway, at least I got to the "THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN" prompt so now I can just go around and clear everything else out before I wrap up the game. 80 hours of playtime so far.

...I'm 30 hours in.

Where are you at? How much power do you have and what zones have you unlocked?

If you want to crit path DA:I then you need to only unlock main story missions. Don't bother unlocking an area if it doesn't have an Inquisitor's Path mission. Spending power on Emerald Graves (for example) is taking away from the power you need for the main story.

I still feel overwhelmed while playing this game. I don't know what I am suppose to do and I don't understand which missions are main missions. .

Also I'm still trying to figure out some good builds for Varric and Solas

Top Bottom