• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Verger

Banned
A modder has tried a hand at creating better looking Qunari hair (in visualization only). I like the look of course, but practicality-wise I'd imagine there is the whole "how does it animate/clip" issue that would prevent this from ever being feasible with current tech.

Still, it's nice to look and think "what may be one day"
7Yy4111.jpg

Anm5HJN.jpg

HOhnIBa.jpg

RnqoCfS.jpg

yt24Owg.jpg

Just orderd this game will be here Wednesday.

Good choice? (Im a big rpg fan)

I don't have a modern PC so I can only lust after things like Divinity: OS from afar, but DA:I has sated my thirst for big rpg. I still don't think Bioware has quite nailed the "choices that matter" formula here, but dammit if their world building isn't top notch. What will you be playing it on?

I still feel overwhelmed while playing this game. I don't know what I am suppose to do and I don't understand which missions are main missions. .

Also I'm still trying to figure out some good builds for Varric and Solas

I'm still early on in the game so take it with a grain of salt, but so far I have Varric (nearly lvl 9) just pouring points into Ranged stuff for Bianca and Traps (for all the poison goodness). I get him on elevated ground and out of harms way and he becomes one of my heaviest hitters.

Bessy67

For the love of God how do you open the Gate of Toth?
Is that the one in the Western Approach? Walk north from the fortress and there should be a marker that opens a war table mission called something like "clear out the darkspawn". Do that, go through the old Tevinter prison, and you'll be on the other side of the gate at which point you can open it.

Dante316

I still feel overwhelmed while playing this game. I don't know what I am suppose to do and I don't understand which missions are main missions. .

Click journal, then the title called inquisitions path, whatwhatever under is main. Inner circle is party members.

rrc1594

Is that the one in the Western Approach? Walk north from the fortress and there should be a marker that opens a war table mission called something like "clear out the darkspawn". Do that, go through the old Tevinter prison, and you'll be on the other side of the gate at which point you can open it.

Thank you I been trying do this, for 2 hours If you were next to me I would hug you

I don't have a modern PC so I can only lust after things like Divinity: OS from afar, but DA:I has sated my thirst for big rpg. I still don't think Bioware has quite nailed the "choices that matter" formula here, but dammit if their world building isn't top notch. What will you be playing it on?

I dunno what you mean by modern PC. but I have a Core 2 quad (6 year old processor) + 5850 (5-6 year old GPU) and it runs Divinity Original Sin just fine with no hiccups.

I'm at the 20+ hour mark with this game and I just unlocked
skyhold - which is freakin huge (amazing right now but I'm not sure how much I'll like it later on when I have to get to a single place quickly)
. I feel like I should dial up the difficulty of combat from normal but at the same time combat engagements get too cluttered at times and the strategic camera is starting to become a bit of nuisance to use.

My favorite part thus far...
trial of chief movran- "he attacked with goats"

squidyj

I cant decide whether to go tempest or assassin for my rogue playthrough :(

seems like hidden blades would let me just drop a target coming out of stealth for guaranteed crit. and then death's mark for double damage for a period is great too

but then the flasks are so good. become a tank and make your own freeze combos, spam your hardest hitting attack for 5 seconds, 5 seconds of free damage. And thousand cuts is infinitely superior to group stealth

Also my party doesn't talk that much (Cass, Varric, Solas). . are there quick fixes to the banter bug? I heard people are even waiting until a patch is released before they continue playing.

The Emerald Graves is such a beautiful place. So lush and filled with wonderful vertical terrain and great creatures.

I also stayed my first dragon tonight! The Hinterlands is officially safe now.

Thanks for the help. Also does power level influence anything in this game? Is there any reason I should grind side quest every now and then?

The only reason as to why you should grind every so often is to level up once you reach new regions where enemies start at a much higher level.

Dante316

Thanks for the help. Also does power level influence anything in this game? Is there any reason I should grind side quest every now and then?

It decides what missions you can do. Keep in mind you can waste power on a side mission if you are not
Careful. Inquisition path is main, rest is side story that u can be fun to dabble in.

The Emerald Graves is such a beautiful place. So lush and filled with wonderful vertical terrain and great creatures.

I also stayed my first dragon tonight! The Hinterlands is officially safe now.

The only reason as to why you should grind every so often is to level up once you reach new regions where enemies start at a much higher level.

Did you do every side mission in the Hinterlands? I was thinking about grinding there until level 8 doing some missions.

J Jizzle

Took down my first dragon today at level 10, was glorious. To prepare, I crafted (for the first time) all my weapons and armor for my party and respecced all to their specializations classes (Cass, Blackwall, Viv and me being a knight enchanter). Fight took about 15 mins but I loved it, had FFXII vibes working it's HP down while managing my crew. Are the dragons the most difficult fights in the game?

Dante316

Did you do every side mission in the Hinterlands? I was thinking about grinding there until level 8 doing some missions.

Recommendation for the nxt main is 4-7. It tells you that in the game. The war table with green glow is the next step in the story.

Bessy67

Took down my first dragon today at level 10, was glorious. To prepare, I crafted (for the first time) all my weapons and armor for my party and respecced all to their specializations classes (Cass, Blackwall, Viv and me being a knight enchanter). Fight took about 15 mins but I loved it, had FFXII vibes working it's HP down while managing my crew. Are the dragons the most difficult fights in the game?
Pretty much. I played most of the game on hard difficulty and dragons were really the only enemies I had to pause and micromanage the fight. Although I did a ton of sidequests so I was probably overleveled for most of the campaign missions...

spekkeh

Banned
Just orderd this game will be here Wednesday.

Good choice? (Im a big rpg fan)
I've been pretty down on this game every so often in this thread, but it's a really good game and you'll have a swell time with it. They obviously spared no expense, it's nice to walk around in the lavish world.

I just wish they spent some of that money on a few cognitive/educational psychologists, because it's a convoluted mess imo, and above all on a creative director that said no stick your Assassin's Creed template where the sun don't shine, a good story needs proper directing, not endless diversions and collectathons. It could've been great, now it just settles for really good.

danthefan

Main missions have the green fog stuff on the war table.

I dunno what you mean by modern PC. but I have a Core 2 quad (6 year old processor) + 5850 (5-6 year old GPU) and it runs Divinity Original Sin just fine with no hiccups.

I have a 7 year old MBP running XP SP3 off bootcamp. It's primarily the GPU in it that's garbage for gaming. It is what it is.

J Jizzle

Pretty much. I played most of the game on hard difficulty and dragons were really the only enemies I had to pause and micromanage the fight. Although I did a ton of sidequests so I was probably overleveled for most of the campaign missions...
Ok well that's cool. I always loved the optional super bosses in JRPGs (omega weapon, Yiazmat, etc) which WRPGs don't tend to have a lot of.

Really loving 2H more than I thought I would. I was ready to write it off in the first hour or so but once you start getting the better crowd control abilities you feel like a master of the battlefield. Love charging into a group of enemies and knocking them all on their face.

kizmah

I'm new to Dragon Age and just bought this. Before I start, do I need to catch up on the story from the previous two in any way?

WOAH WTF. My game just crashed and all of my saves are corrupted?!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Like you have to be shitting me right now.

Dresden

Man I don't even recognize Alistair anymore. I should have gone with Loghain.

Really loving 2H more than I thought I would. I was ready to write it off in the first hour or so but once you start getting the better crowd control abilities you feel like a master of the battlefield. Love charging into a group of enemies and knocking them all on their face.

People really need to stop writing it off because Iron Bull dies ten seconds into every fight. The battlemaster tree is probably my favorite in the game - great buffs, control, passives and the combat roll.

WOAH WTF. My game just crashed and all of my saves are corrupted?!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Not me, but I definitely have heard it happening to people on all different platforms. I'm definitely doing a backup of all my saves to my emergency USB stick when I get home :\

Also, did it just crash out the blue while playing or did you start it up and it crashed, etc.. ?

Not me, but I definitely have heard it happening to people on all different platforms. I'm definitely doing a backup of all my saves to my emergency USB stick when I get home :\

Also, did it just crash out the blue while playing or did you start it up and it crashed, etc.. ?

Randomly crashed when I was just playing. I was fast traveling and it crashed.

Going to put this game down since I put in a lot of work customizing my character some and this is upsetting.

Is there a way to make one specific game always save to your usb or to copy save files (PS4)?

This coupled with the banter bug where my whole party was silent for HOURS is ridiculous. Beautiful games but god damn.

Tried to attack my first dragon yesterday. I'm two levels higher than the Hinterland dragon, playing on Hard (Cassandra/Blackwall/Vivienne/dagger rogue) and I get wrecked every time. I think I've only managed to make it to the halfway point once. Vivienne basically dies all the time, and it's now become intensely frustrating that I have to micro secondary potion use on all the AI characters because the AOE healing and regen potions are now a significant portion of my available healing. Intense fights are really where the Inquisition UI falls apart compared to Origins/DA2 PC.

Great, out of the blue after about 40 hours of no crashing, now the game just crashes to desktop randomly. No error message, no warning just straight to desktop.

J Jizzle

Tried to attack my first dragon yesterday. I'm two levels higher than the Hinterland dragon, playing on Hard (Cassandra/Blackwall/Vivienne/dagger rogue) and I get wrecked every time. I think I've only managed to make it to the halfway point once. Vivienne basically dies all the time, and it's now become intensely frustrating that I have to micro secondary potion use on all the AI characters because the AOE healing and regen potions are now a significant portion of my available healing. Intense fights are really where the Inquisition UI falls apart compared to Origins/DA2 PC.
Yeah I was rotating barriers between two mages which helped alot. Black never died when I fully specced his champion tree and cass died only once which healed all with her amazing sacrifice skill from the templar tree. Also equipping all with rej potions alongside the standard healing potion was a big help, still had 5 healing pots remaining at the end.

tcrunch

Stupid "where is my companion" question. I feel like Viv should not be hard to find. There's a balcony above the staircase in pic below but I can't figure out how to get to it.

Ly3XmJA.jpg

abundant

After trying out all of the mage classes in MP, I like the Arcane Warrior the most. That Pull of the Abyss + upgraded Fade Cloak is an ungodly combo. I keep racking up 5 to 7 Kill Streaks in less than a second.

Hystzen

Okay I been patient I tried spent time with Sera and use her for banter but fucking hell after that personal mission I kicked her out without blinking an eye. Post personal quest spoiler
Fuck her and her I'm so crazy boohoo nobles are cruel, poor are cool I'm a not like them I just take what I want but not a hypocrit attitude fuck her. Soon you tell her how much her decsions fucks people over she has a rant saying it doesn't matter to her but she better then nobles who do the same thing

My prick Inquisitor who evil looks like a cool saint compared it her

Levyne

Banned
Can the AI use any ability they've learned, or just what's assigned from 1 to 8? I assume since under Tactics I can set all of them that they can use all of them, but just wanted to make sure.

WarAdept

Running around as Iron Bull with a sliver of health spamming Dragon Rage never gets old for me.

Actually now that I've stopped using my 4 mage party, I'm testing out the Warrior specs.

Cass' Templar combo (Wrath of Heaven into Spell Purge) is hillarious AoE and bumps up Focus so much with the Inquisition skill.

And Blackwall never dies. Goddamn.

Naminator

Banned
Stupid "where is my companion" question. I feel like Viv should not be hard to find. There's a balcony above the staircase in pic below but I can't figure out how to get to it.

Ly3XmJA.jpg
As you enter the throne hall it will be the second door on the right(the side where Varrick is) go upstairs and instead of going through the door on the left(Library where Dorian is) just take a right and Viv will be there near the window.

On a side note, LMAO at these Dorian Screens

PC low I guess?

PS3 Dorian

Xbox360

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Has anyone tried streaming this with the Steam Broadcasting thing. Wonder how it would work with a non-Steam game.

Top Bottom