• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

JerkShep

The posts BioWare made on upcoming patches and features are very promising. I'd bet some more Skyhold customization options were filed under "not for release but patched in later."

In general I think they did a good job outlining their strategy going forward (as well as explaining banters and the banter bug) and I'm also happy for the PCGaffers that didn't like the controls or UI that they seem committed to improving them.

Really I think the issue is simply the lack of sidequests with the cinematic cutscene view. There's tons of side story content, but it's mostly told through codexes, letters, etc., which is a little jarring (though understandable) considering how the companion and main stories are told. The dungeons are all worth one's time, for example, both for loot and story.

I think unfortunately a place like the Hissing Wastes stands out because of how...empty it is. The dwarven tombs are nice but the premise for being there was that the Venatori are there and you don't know why. Well, I've completed the zone and I still don't know why. Likely that's because I got bored of reading codex entries to explain the zone's story, which is sort of my fault...but at some point I think BW needed to do more to engage the player.

Yes Hissing Wastes has really nothing going on :/ Exalted Plains is better but I hate hate hate the trenches part, so many respawning enemies, the navigation is kind of ankward and there are basically no talking characters except from the Dalish...which are the best part of the area, honestly.

I know that when I'll replay the game just for "lore" reason I'm definitely gonna skip shards collection, astrariums stuff, requisitions, landmarks and most likely the Hidden Wastes too.

Ralemont

not me
Since we're talking about underwhelming sidequests in zones and also DLC...

...how about they release DLC packs that take the form of vignettes? So like they make a pack that includes 4-5 45 min- 1 hour quests that they pepper in zones with minimal story content that ones comes across organically during a playthrough. To me there's no story DLC that could further improve Inquisition The Game than fleshing out the optional zones more with these types of stories.

Hystzen

Let's us take part in the war table side quests. Like the wardens find out Darkspawn attacking town, Templars hunting abominations or the Kirkwall war table plot line

Beefy

Just romanced Cassandra, but it lagged out and I couldn't do anything. So my inquistor said nothing the whole time. Ha

Bessy67

Let's us take part in the war table side quests. Like the wardens find out Darkspawn attacking town, Templars hunting abominations or the Kirkwall war table plot line
I thought that if they were going to do any connection between the SP and MP the war table would be a cool place to do it. It could be cool if they did something like if you selected a war table mission you could either wait for the specified time (like it is now) or you could decide to go into a multiplayer matchmaking for that mission right from the war table. Then you could go through the MP game earning XP, gold and items for your MP characters but they could also tie SP rewards to your performance (influence, gold, power, items).

Amirnol

At what point was there an option to get the Mages to join the Inquisition? I'm 60 hours in and have been pretty thorough with my exploration. Is it possible to have both the Mages and Templars join?

Hystzen

I thought that if they were going to do any connection between the SP and MP the war table would be a cool place to do it. It could be cool if they did something like if you selected a war table mission you could either wait for the specified time (like it is now) or you could decide to go into a multiplayer matchmaking for that mission right from the war table. Then you could go through the MP game earning XP, gold and items for your MP characters but they could also tie SP rewards to your performance (influence, gold, power, items).

I get why they didnt do that they avoiding it being like ME3 where it affected your galactic readiness and affect your ending. They wanted SP to be truly single and fair for people who have no interest in MP so hats of them for that But what you said is good idea

At what point was there an option to get the Mages to join the Inquisition? I'm 60 hours in and have been pretty thorough with my exploration. Is it possible to have both the Mages and Templars join?

No.

You have to chose between mages or templars, not possible to choose both, it is needed as a trigger to Skyhold and story.
It is a story mission.

You can't recruit the mages if you got the Templars. To get the mages,
you needed to go to Val Rouex (sp?), meet Fiona, then go to Redcliff and do the quest there.
These must be done before the Templar quest.

Menome

You get invited to Redcliffe the first time you visit Val Royeaux. Go there and discover things are a bit odd. That opens up the Mage-recruitment mission.

Both it and the Templar mission explicitly state in the descriptions that you are choosing one over the other and there's no going back. So I'm afraid you're stuck with the Templars for this playthrough.

Kimaka

You can't recruit the mages if you got the Templars. To get the mages,
you needed to go to Val Rouex (sp?), meet Fiona, then go to Redcliff and do the quest there.
These must be done before the Templar quest.

So, you can't do both quests? I thought they would have converged at some point and allow you a final decision between the two.

DarkMehm

Chose Champion for my Warrior. Should I redistribute the skill points? What is the optimum skill build for this class and specialization?

royox

I'm replaying the game as a Knight Enchanter now (Nightmare). Any tips for Cole and Iron Bull to stop being potion waster machines?

It's exposition, fight some baddies, read conclusion. To me that feels like a major regression.

See I think DA:I actually does conclusions better than most because it can create tangible results on the world state which isn't something that you get in most sidequests in games. Yes it's probably the best sidequest in the game but, still, take Crestwood for example:

Doing the main sidequests there results in you taking over the Keep (producing more sidequestsand additional operations), draining the entire lake (again more sidequests) , stopping the main fade rift which actually changes the weather and atmosphere of the entire region, and then allowing you to sit in judgement on the actions of the mayor during the Fifth Blight.

If I were to hazard a guess, I think whether DA:I's sidequests click with you or not is whether you enjoy lore; disjoint pieces of text that cumulatively build up a world. I don't really, so for me most of the missions are kind of hohum with no satisfying flow and subsequently feel meaningless. I don't even read most of them frankly. If you do like disjoint exposition I guess there's meaning to be derived from the individual missions.

I agree that you need to care about the lore. I don't think the quests themselves are disjointed at all. It's remarkably cohesive because the game does a fantastic job at telling you the story of what is happening just through the world design and detail and the level design is often really great about highlighting where the next step of the quest chain is. Yes you definitely need to read and I won't argue that I wouldn't mind a few more character interactions along the way but I think the questing is far more organic than in most other RPGs (provided that you ignore the world map and markers, which I do). It's a major change from the way Bioware has handled sidequests in the past. There is plenty of room for improvement but I think it's a significant step forward on their part. Hopefully they take this feedback under advisement and in DA4 will include more detailed character interaction/cutscenes during the sidequests.

To be clear- I'm just discussing the main sidequest in each region. I'm not referring to the "take flowers to a grave site" stuff which is indeed very mundane and yet no worse than similar quests in DA:O, DA2 and the ME series.

Neoweee

I'm replaying the game as a Knight Enchanter now (Nightmare). Any tips for Cole and Iron Bull to stop being potion waster machines?

Give their defensive moves STAR priority.

Don't go full-fledged melee builds with both. Melee offense really needs to have a mix of other skills, as well as the stat passives.

Stack Constitution on their helms and armor, if possible. It's HP + Defense.

Is there any way to re-customize your appearance once you've started?

I really like my character, the only problem is I made his face too thin for the beard, so it doesn't actually connect to his cheeks. Makes him look like he is wearing a stupid disguise.

I have no idea how to recreate the guy, so I may just roll with it anyway if nothing can be done, but its annoying

Xeteh

I really like my character, the only problem is I made his face too thin for the beard, so it doesn't actually connect to his cheeks. Makes him look like he is wearing a stupid disguise.

I have no idea how to recreate the guy, so I may just roll with it anyway if nothing can be done, but its annoying

Nope, its annoying but you can't change your character's appearance at all after the start.

Maledict

Just in terms of lore and the world, this is the first Dragon Age game that actually makes me want to read more of the lore and makes me believe I'm playing in a fully realised universe. It's the reeling all the Mass Effect games had and so far, for me, was hugely lacking in the Dragon Age games.

The two Dales zones are a case in point - they convey the situation and feelings of the Elves far better than previous games simply because you actually get to wander these ancient ruins and read up on the God and heroes of the Elves in a way the previous games didn't allow.

That's really annoying (the beard not touching the cheeks issue) because it's always been a problem in every DA game. After doing a steller job on most of the character creator they still used a what, 5 year old method of customising hair/beards? Just why?

TheHall

Awww man, my dialogue wheel was laggy and i accidentally told Cole to
stop with his Shenanigans.

Of course the game immediately autosaved

Just completed a mid-game story quest where some NPC chump got a ton of screen time and a full character arc. As it ended, I checked a wiki to see that if I had made the right choice in the Keep, it would have been a character from Dragon Age 1 instead of some no name doofus I couldn't care less about.

I am truly playing the darkest timeline.

Time to delete my 40 hour save and start over.

MajorPain

Loving this game so far. I have played about 25 hours and have only finished about 25 % or less of the main story. I am still stuck in the damn hinterlands...lol.

Just completed a mid-game story quest where some NPC chump got a ton of screen time and a full character arc. As it ended, I checked a wiki to see that if I had made the right choice in the Keep, it would have been a character from Dragon Age 1 instead of some no name doofus I couldn't care less about.

I am truly playing the darkest timeline.

Time to delete my 40 hour save and start over.

The default world state is so depressing.

Even if you haven't played the first two games, it's worth going through the keep just so that all the characters survived and all the sidequests were completed.

My save files got corrupted after having an error, thankfully one autosave still worked. At first I thought I was screwed because when I loaded the auto save it loaded my character but all textures were gone but after a while it loaded everything lol.

TheHall

Even if you haven't played the first two games, it's worth going through the keep just so that all the characters survived and all the sidequests were completed.

I too, ended up with Stroud.

When i read here that could have been
Alistair i might have to de-throne him

Teknoman

Well I ended up not being off today lol...but at least I can read the patch notes and hope all the most prevalent issues are fixed.

I too, ended up with Stroud.

When i read here that could have been
Alistair i might have to de-throne him

Holy shit that would been amazing. Though in my original DA: O playthrough
he sacrificed himself to stop the blight.

This game really wants me to play the original again but I can't help feel that I'll start up, play for like 30 minutes and then nope my way out and play all the other new stuff I have.

jgwhiteus

Patch is up (275 MB). Patch notes are available:

http://blog.bioware.com/2014/12/09/dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2-notes/

We have a patch for PC coming out today to address some of the issues players have been having. Here’s a list of the upcoming changes:

Release date: December 9, 2014

Singleplayer

Fixed case where game would incorrectly think the player has more than one race/class/gender
Fixed case where users who changed their voice off of default, would have their voice set back to default when interacting with Hawke’s chargen settings.
Increased duration that search highlights things, and added highlighted items to radar while they are highlighted.
Fixed several conversation lines which would take a very long time to advance to the next line unless they were manually skipped.
Fixed case where followers could float above the ground after extended periods of play
[PC] Fixed some hitching in conversations.
[PC] Pressing the interact key (default “F”) will take everything from containers.
[PC] Hair should be less shiny on lower quality settings.
[PC] Improved push-to-talk functionality when using keyboard and mouse
[PC] Added ability to rotate character models with the mouse in UI’s that show character models
[PC] Added an option to enable / disable tactical camera on mouse wheel scroll out.
[PC] Hiding the HUD on the PC will now hide all UI elements
[PC] Fixed being able to drag abilities from a tree that was not selected onto the quickbar
[PC] Fixed being able to toggle UI state for the tactical camera on the quickbar when the tactical camera is unusable
[PC] Fixed case where clicking quickbar elements in Eyefinity would trigger attacks
[PC] fixed case where extra mouse-up events were triggering in UIs
[PC] Fixed issue where mouse-up events were missed when dragging off of UI elements and then releasing the mouse button
[PC] Fixed loading Icon not animating while Mantle creates shaders during load screens.
[PC] Fixed mouse cursor flashing while targeting AOEs
[PC] Fixed situation that could result in a hang on the start menu.
[PC] Fixed situation where war table could become non-interactive until users right clicked on it.
[PC] Fixed situation which could cause mouse-look to snap to a facing rather than turning smoothly
[PC] Holding right click and pressing the camera turn buttons in tactical camera will cause the cursor to strafe in the same manner the camera behaves outside tactical camera
[PC] Made some changes that should improve Mantle performance
[PC] quickbar indicator for pause state should no longer remain highlighted when game is not paused
[PS3] Increased number of save slots to 30
[PS4] Improved conversation performance during fast install
[PS4] Increased number of save slots to 50
[360] Fixed case where movies sometimes decoded incorrectly
[360] Fixed Crash when selecting storage device when select storage device warning is present
[360] Fixed the online connection error being displayed twice when attempting to login to Origin with no Xbox live connection.
Assorted stability improvements
Fixed crash that could occur after some conversations
Certain boss creatures are now immune to Disruption Field
Creatures in rag doll will now pause when the game is paused
Fix to Spirit Blade so it longer triggers combos
Fixed a couple focus abilities to be weapon agnostic
Fixed a few DA Keep world state import reactivity checks.
Fixed a few situations that could result in there being no conversation selection indicator during conversations
Fixed an issue caused by changing characters at the same as targeting an AOE ability
Fixed Audio cutting out when using AOE abilities while radial menu is open.
Fixed being unable to finish quest “Safe Keeping” if the user places key fragments in the forger, then leaves the zone without getting the finished key.
Fixed camera shaking when making small camera adjustments during character creation
Fixed case where blizzard would pause the game when it turns off
Fixed case where controller rumble would get permanently disabled
Fixed case where Imshael could end up in a location where players could not fight him.
Fixed case where interaction text would not update in tactical camera
Fixed case where mana or stamina was incorrectly displayed on mounted character’s portraits
Fixed case where users could get stuck loading a save in a certain dragon combat area
Fixed case where users could get stuck on an infinite “Connecting to Dragon Age Servers”
Fixed Crippling Blows to have a 15% damage bonus instead of .15%
Fixed Cullen’s hair having some strange shadows during cinematics
Fixed exploit that would allow bypassing ability cool-downs in certain circumstances
Fixed exploit that would allow users to take no damage.
Fixed issue where orders to interact with trebuchets made in tactical mode were un-interruptable.
Fixed issue where user loses control of the party if he enters tactical camera at the same time as a cinematic triggers
Fixed issue which could cause potion counts to be reset due to party member changes.
Fixed issue which could result in an infinite “Connecting to Dragon Age Servers” on the main menu.
Fixed issue which could result in the Radial menu not staying open
Fixed issue which could result in the screen re-sizing UI to stop working until exiting and re-entering the screen re-sizing UI.
Fixed scripted autosave in the western approach which was made which if loaded could result in certain NPCs to not show up until after leaving the area and coming back.
Fixed situation where followers could get stuck while pathfinding to the player.
Fixed some of the collectible books being non-interactive in Skyhold
Fixed slot types on several crafted items
Fixed some item names getting cut off in stores
Fixed weapon type on several crafted weapon parts.
Ground rings scale on Dragons in Tactical Camera
Radar will be shown during radar tutorial, even if the UI is set to be hidden
Radar will show way points immediately after coming out of UIs, no longer requires player to move first.
Target lock is cleared when entering tactical mode.
Unified sort order for stat listings during item modification

Multiplayer

Fixed issue which could result in negative XP being granted in some multiplayer matches
Fixed crash that could occur while switching characters in some multiplayer menus
Cursed chests in multiplayer no longer look different from un-cursed ones
Fixed some missing information on end of match screens when servers are slow in Multiplayer.
Fixed Players losing their ability to target when dying while recovering object in multiplayer
Fixed situation where host migration after end of match would fail to show end of match details for the remaining players
Fixed issue with players being interrupted while interacting with objects in Multiplayer
Fixed issue where host can be returned to an empty lobby after quitting out of a match while in the operation failed state
Improved appearance of ledge drop-downs in multiplayer.
Fixed case which could cause keys to not drop in Multiplayer
Fixed case in Multiplayer where players could attempt to use abilities while dead.
This entry was posted in BioWare on December 9, 2014 by Conal Pierse.

Marvel

could never
Would a 360 code for the flames of the inquisition weapons work for the Xbox One version do you think guys?

Kenaras

If you haven't played the first two games, cameos and easter eggs related to those games won't mean shit to you. The default world state is fine.

Now, for anyone who has played at least one of the previous games, the default world state is terrible. Even if they don't remember their old choices, they should still go through the Keep.

Oh, and (Here Lies the Abyss spoiler)
Stroud is cooler than either Alistair or Loghain. The guy is Riordan's long-lost twin brother!

friday

I remember ME2's default world state was depressing as hell too.

Asbear

Banned
Great patch, wow, but I hope they fix some of the broken quests evetually. I killed this guy "Servis" in the Western Approach, who was supposed to yield and come to skyhold for his trial afterwards. Instead it's just bugged and two red templars reappear every now and then and one in my party will mention that the keep is a safer place now that the Tevinter are gone.

Sanctuary

So can someone explain to me why the Necromancer is supposed to be considered the "DPS" spec for Mages, because I just don't see it at all. Both Walking Bomb and Spirit Mark can only be cast on one target at a time, and those are pretty much the only active abilities you'll be using the majority of the time. I am only level 13 right now, but so far it's been lackluster damage all around, and I'm even using the Hinterlands 18-24 hour quest reward weapon, which is much more powerful than anything else available at my level. For single targets, it looks like it should do well on paper, and Virulent Walking Bomb looks like it would do great too, but in practice it almost never hits more than two enemies.

I have also found the charmed enemy of Spirit Mark to rarely be that helpful, and it's actually kind of annoying if I want any potential drops from it. I have to end up banishing it anyway.

I already played a Knight-Enchanter on Hard, and by the time I hit level 20, the game was completely trivialized, so I started over. I also don't think the KE is actually that great at damage either aside from Spirit Blade being great against Barrier and Guard. For Nightmare though, I am bringing along Vivienne as my secondary Mage just because the AI is so stupid, and at least with her being KE, I won't have to babysit one of the characters as much.

I already messed around with Solas, so I know what a Rift Mage can do, so on my current playthrough I made my main character one, and with Singularity (Pull of the Abyss), it absolutely wrecks what a Necro can do to groups of enemies considering Stone Fist is already an AoE and Immolation/Fire Mine are two of the other great AoE spells that are fantastic with Singularity. If I was playing on Normal or Hard, I would probably just use a Rift Mage/Necro combo, but it would require a lot more micro. On Nightmare though it doesn't seem worth it at all over Rift/KE.

Top Bottom