• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I don't get the 'leave the hinderlands' meme.

All the game areas follow the same design pattern. There are always shards, rifts, star puzzles, bottles of Thedas, rocks and plants, location spots, fedex sidequests, and a bigger but still bare-bones quest affecting the monster respawns in the area.

If you don't like those elements in the Hinderlands, you won't like them anywhere else.

It's more about moving the story forward than just going to other areas I reckon.

You can get bogged down doing just the side stuff and whilst missing out on them story/companion quest feels (which are so, so good).

Plus, you don't want to be way over-levelled going forward, takes the fun out a bit IMO.

I don't get the 'leave the hinderlands' meme.

All the game areas follow the same design pattern. There are always shards, rifts, star puzzles, bottles of Thedas, rocks and plants, location spots, fedex sidequests, and a bigger but still bare-bones quest affecting the monster respawns in the area.

If you don't like those elements in the Hinderlands, you won't like them anywhere else.

I don't think they're talking about those AC/Skyrim checkpoint stuff.
Each zone has its own setting and also issues to solve, so traveling to different zones will refresh your experience with another adventure and quests. For example in Crestwood,
you have to help the town from the zombies
. It's quite a long quest which will affect the entire region.

At what level should you leave the hinterlands?

I leave it at level 6 to explore a bit of Storm Coast and progress with the Val Royaeux, then come back at level 8. I usually do story missions at the maximum suggested level (level 11 for the
mage/templar
mission, for example).

Hollycat

Oh my god, the head
on a pike
result. I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life.

Winter Palace
Judgement
Spoiler.

If you put the head on a spike, Cullen hires a soldier to do nothing but stand there and shake the head at ner-do-wells.
At what level should you leave the hinterlands?

After picking up the masterwork armor from the bandits. It's the best warrior armor until level 14-ish

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's been probably mentioned already, but the new "ping" on the minimap when you sense item is glorious. It makes finding resources much easier. I wish Bioware had used different colors to distinguish resources from other interactive things (potion table, stairs, containers, etc.).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's been probably mentioned already, but the new "ping" on the minimap when you sense item is glorious. It makes finding resources much easier. I wish Bioware had used different colors to distinguish resources from other interactive things (potion table, stairs, containers, etc.).
I'd still rather they lower the amount of shit to forage and make those fewer points offer more resources. I'm starting to cringe when I see a group of three whatevers I am going to harvest. It's enough the game already has you backtracking to find those skills to view the shards that will require you to go back over areas you've already been...

Basically, the game has fun points, make it so I play those parts more and less of this resource shit less (similar problem with ME and those stupid fucking probes).

Banzai

Even with the newest patch, there's no way to get your old voice back if you were hit by the glitch, correct?
Is there really no console command or something similar to edit a character after creating it?

Is it worth having 2 S&B bros to my rogue inquisitor (who does most of the damage) and Solas as the support mage on nightmare?

I tried Dorian but he dies to much. Vivienne can easily handle herself but I want a different party makeup this time. Thinking of adding Bull but I'm afraid he'll just kill himself. Cassandra was my waifu last time and now I've made her my bitter enemy.

What did you do?

I'm just entering Winter Palace, how much of the game do I have left?

I already had her before winter palace so maybe your approval isn't high enough yet?

I tried Dorian but he dies to much. Vivienne can easily handle herself but I want a different party makeup this time. Thinking of adding Bull but I'm afraid he'll just kill himself. Cassandra was my waifu last time and now I've made her my bitter enemy.

Lol sounds just like how I'm imagining my second play through, bull is actually pretty awesome, like his banter too. I only switched him out for cass to get dem approval ratings :3

Cool, thanks a lot.

Daggers next please!

I'll have it up as soon as I can. Being able to have two abilities is just plain awesome. You can have Hidden Blades (5 hits) and (4 hits) with a 10% chance to proc from each dagger, clones everywhere! Or Immolate to see explosions all the time. Lots of cool possibilities.

I personally went with Hidden Blades (5 hits) and Shield Bash (800% weapon damage). You can also put +5 Guard on Hit on one of your daggers, then laugh at Nightmare as you solo anything and everything.

Is it worth having 2 S&B bros to my rogue inquisitor (who does most of the damage) and Solas as the support mage on nightmare?

2 S&B and 1 Mage was pretty much my setup for my Rogue on Nightmare - worked out really well! Solas loves to spam Barrier so yeah, he's a good support Mage. Pull of the Abyss + Static Cage + Fire Mine is really awesome for Solas as well.

When do we start getting interesting armours? Im still on my enchanters coat and my upgraded collectors edition armour and Im capable enough to beat dragons but I don't look like someone of my status should ;)

When do we start getting interesting armours? Im still on my enchanters coat and my upgraded collectors edition armour and Im capable enough to beat dragons but I don't look like someone of my status should ;)

Make a run for the vendor at Hissing Wastes - east of the Sand Crags Camp (middle left of the map). There are T1 to T3 armor schematics being sold, see which ones you like the look of after crafting, so make a save point. You can also just hunt down the Dragons for more Unique armor pieces.

aborath

Neo Member
I may have to follow your ideas because as it stands, this game has been one of the more disappointing games i have played this year. That they throw in these areas and toss a bunch of stuff for me to pick up to pad a few hours worth of story telling is surreal to me. I get that they want mass appeal but this was going to far.

There is truth to the "Leave the Hinterlands" meme. When I played my mage, getting to
Skyhold
(i.e., past Act I) was a trial. This was due, in part, to the shitty PC controls--I was playing M+K at the time, and frustrations from combat (stupid AI). But mainly it was the hours and hours spent grinding Hinterlands quests. I was approaching burnout faster than I ever had in a Bioware game. Just read my posts from a week ago to get a sense of my frustration.

I soldiered through, finished Act I, and positioned myself to blow through the rest of the game, thanks to time spent in the Hinterlands. Unfortunately, the mage proved boring; KE is its best specialty, and it largely involves holding down the right trigger--complete snooze-fest. I dug the Fire spec for a bit, but that didn't hold my interest for long. So, nearly one-hundred hours in, I decided to re-roll to my current spec. I'm having way, way more fun with the 2h Warrior than I did with the mage.

Ricker

I have a few doors that are locked and it tells me I need somekind of tool and a hands something perk...are they talking about a perk you choose from the war room table...? if so what is it...? pisses me off because I cant finish Blackwall's Inner Circle quest in the Mire because of this...

I have a few doors that are locked and it tells me I need somekind of tool and a hands something perk...are they talking about a perk you choose from the war room table...? if so what is it...? pisses me off because I cant finish Blackwall's Inner Circle quest in the Mire because of this...

Deft Hands Inquisition perk from the Wartable. You need 4 points invested into the Secret perks before you can unlock it.

Ricker

Deft Hands Inquisition perk from the Wartable. You need 4 points invested into the Secret perks before you can unlock it.

Ah damn,ok thanks,think I only got one in that section,my influence is only 8 1/2 and I took 2 inventory slot perks,I hate being full lol...

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question: What do I do with Dorian?

My character is a Knight Enchanter, and I'm rolling with Varric (specced heavily into Bow, with some poisons, traps and stealth) and Cassandra (a pure tank). I really like Dorian, both as a character in himself and as a mage, but he totally abuses his necromancy abilities. 75% of the enemies I kill end up being undead allies and, AFAIK, they don't give me experience for the kill. Not to mention that reviving them seems to break the scripting of the game for quests that depend on you killing a certain enemy, at least temporarily (though I fear I may get to a point when it breaks completely).

What should I do with him? Should I turn off this ability altogether and continue to use the rest of the Necromancy skill tree? Or should I forget about it and focus on the elemental trees? If so, which one?

Edit: I'll put this in spoiler tags...

Quick question: What do I do with Dorian?

My character is a Knight Enchanter, and I'm rolling with Varric (specced heavily into Bow, with some poisons, traps and stealth) and Cassandra (a pure tank). I really like Dorian, both as a character in himself and as a mage, but he totally abuses his necromancy abilities. 75% of the enemies I kill end up being undead allies and, AFAIK, they don't give me experience for the kill. Not to mention that reviving them seems to break the scripting of the game for quests that depend on you killing a certain enemy, at least temporarily (though I fear I may get to a point when it breaks completely).

What should I do with him? Should I turn off this ability altogether and continue to use the rest of the Necromancy skill tree? Or should I forget about it and focus on the elemental trees? If so, which one?

Edit: I'll put this in spoiler tags...

You can instantly turn off Spirit Mark by activating it again, this way the spirit ally will go away and drop loot or trigger a cutscene if it was part of a story mission.

What did you do?

I'm just entering Winter Palace, how much of the game do I have left?

The game kind of has a built in main story progress meter- the murals where you can find Solas in Skyhold are updated after every main story mission. So how much of the walls you have covered = progress through the game.

patchday

Well I feel silly. I knew a patch was live but I was thinking since I only play single player I wouldn't have to download it. Wrong! EA Origin says its a mandatory patch. :(

And its huge. So cant play. FUUUUDGE

I wanted to enjoy the raw version but I guess this is fine. I am sure the patches will just be including nerfs and stuff which is typical for such a complicated game. Wish we could mod out the nerfage tho if we wanted. I suspect after I beat the game I'll try to hit up Skyrim next (I never played it much pass a few hrs)

aborath

Neo Member
You can instantly turn off Spirit Mark by activating it again, this way the spirit ally will go away and drop loot or trigger a cutscene if it was part of a story mission.

I'd just go into his tactics screen and disable it. No need to babysit him then.

Ran into Revnants today.

Fuck that man.

They were just demolishing my team and can apparently hit behind them which makes flanking difficult.

Wait until you run into Arcane Horrors. They just spam their ranged attack and teleport the instant you attempt to close. Talk about frustrating.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I know. That solves the loot issue, though I have to manually micromanage Dorian after every fight. The loss of EXP is more a important downside, though.

Quick question hopefully someone can help me out:

Installed the update but now the game won't let me connect to the servers since it says I need to install the update.... not sure what to do...
Should I delete it and reinstall it?

Footos22

Man this game goes from hard as hell pre skyhold to easy as shit when you get secondary classes. took me 4 tries to beat the haven boss and even then i didnt kill him i just distracted him with 3 party members and did the objective.

Now im just waltzing through everything like a hot knife through butter,

viv is a absolute beast with knight enchanter.

that oasis area is bloody gorgeous.

ced

I think my game is bugged.

I completed the ball, and now my main quest is "What pride has wrought", and says to go to the war room. When I go there no cutscene happens and the map doesn't have anything new except a new area for 5 power that is an eleven ruin. If I unlock it I can't even travel to it. From what I understand I should have a new green story mission on the map. I've tried re-loading, traveling etc.

Fuck.

at what level should i be able to handle a dragon? I think i'm level 8 or 9 and just keep getting destroyed...

I waited until after specilizations (12ish i think). I tried before and just got rekt.

ugh so patch now shows small circles on minimap for the search function

more time wasted...

I'm actually ok with this. I can't tell you how many times i would spin in a circle trying to find what was setting off my ping
only to realize it was a fucking ladder
. at least now it gives me a direction to look at.

UberLevi

Hey guys, I'm finally starting up Inquisition tomorrow and I was wondering which two characters had the best party banter together.

JeffG

Hey guys, I'm finally starting up Inquisition tomorrow and I was wondering which two characters had the best party banter together.

You need to switch them up. It 60-100 hrs of play. You will have lots of time to run different groups

Respect

Finally unlocked a T3 masterwork staff from the
qunari/tallis missions
...but it is looking like the non-masterwork staff plan from the keep in
Emprise du Lion
is better simply because of how the construction would be. You can get a much higher attack% with the non-masterwork staff.

Is that T3 masterwork staff the only one?
Not a fan of the metal as a utility resource on the staff.

Petrie

Banned
Reading this thread makes me feel like by not using any online resources and just playing the game however my first time through I am missing out on so much.

My OCD is starting to tingle GAF...

Top Bottom