• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

I killed my first dragon! I feel like some sort of unstoppable god king now or something.

Then again, I am playing a Kight-Enchanter, so that may literally be the case.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Uhhh.... maybe you guys shouldn't having a chat while an enemy still shooting arrows at you? LOL.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

After the convo my Inquisitor is almost dead with only a third of her health left, LOL.

jgwhiteus

kind of lame that the AI won't cast spells unless its set on their spell palette.

Wait, is that true? I thought the Inquisitor is limited to the eight abilities in your hotkeys, but your companions can use abilities beyond the eight, and you can enable / disable them in tactics.

I feel like I remember my companions using non-hotkeyed abilities at certain points (e.g. I never hotkeyed the Tempest flask abilities for Sera, but sometimes it seemed like she'd use them).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I walked into target, saw this was in sale for 47, couldn't resist.

Been trying to finish at least one of FC4/GTAV/Halo:MCC before I picked this up, but oh well. Trying to finish FC4 tonight before I install this.

Any way to get the content that comes with the Delux on PSN?

It would make AI characters stronger than you since you couldn't do the same.

it would be a fair trade off because they're so stupid

Wait, is that true? I thought the Inquisitor is limited to the eight abilities in your hotkeys, but your companions can use abilities beyond the eight, and you can enable / disable them in tactics.

I feel like I remember my companions using non-hotkeyed abilities at certain points (e.g. I never hotkeyed the Tempest flask abilities for Sera, but sometimes it seemed like she'd use them).

i'm pretty sure it's true. i've never seen someone use a skill that wasn't hotkeyed. it was quite annoying early on when i gave my tank the hookshot and she would never use it.

Gvaz

Banned

i'm pretty sure it's true. i've never seen someone use a skill that wasn't hotkeyed. it was quite annoying early on when i gave my tank the hookshot and she would never use it.

Having just added the hookshot to my cass' queue, yeah, only abilities that are on the bar

aborath

Neo Member
Doing another run now (though I didn't finish my first), and I'm nearly ignoring side-content. I pretty much only pick up quests that are fun, or rewarding, or easy, and then jump straight to the next story objective as soon as I have the points. As a result, the game feels better paced, and I'm not wasting dozens of hours with meaningless MMO-style quest grinds. It only took me 140-ish hours to get with the program! Sucks that Bioware felt the need to ape Skyrim; DA:I could've been a much tighter (read: better) experience.

Also, I'm convinced 2h-warrior is the way the game was meant to be played. It's so much fun swinging a giant hammer/sword around, crushing objects and people, Scorpioning mages and archers with your chain, bull Rushing everything, all day... so great. By comparison, the mage is a dull experience, especially so if you choose its best spec (KE). With my mage, I would--unless specced to KE--approach combat timidly, but with my war I just say F@#! it and charge in. Cassandra follows with a Commanding Shout to get mobs off of me, and I commence the molestation.

Despite its flaws, my boner for the game shows no sign of receding.

Does Blackwall have anything to say about Ironbull? They really fucked up the way you ask him about the other party members. Josephine and Sera you just select exactly who you want to ask about. With Blackwall i'm sitting here for 30 minutes trying to get him to say something about Iron Bull and he never comes up.

I don't think this is true, I could be wrong, but there is a section of the menu that shows all available skills or something like that, sometimes skills get unchecked from in there (idk why) so make sure they are all checked.

If this is true, that really sucks, but I guess it would kind of make sense...

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sera is a terribly written character. Also her model is atrocious looking in terms of proportion. I definitely do not like her, but I feel like I'll have to take her over Varric for the bow abilities.

Dresden

All the rogues do fine on any difficulty as long as you give them a bow. If you don't like Sera, don't use her.

And Cole is better anyhow.

I don't think this is true, I could be wrong, but there is a section of the menu that shows all available skills or something like that, sometimes skills get unchecked from in there (idk why) so make sure they are all checked.

If this is true, that really sucks, but I guess it would kind of make sense...

I've ran some tests and pretty sure that's how it works. Disable all skills, leave a skill that's not on the bar on preferred, never use anything. They only use what's on the bar, similar to the inquisitor, which forces you to make choices. At least it's consistent, even though I'm not a big fan of the 8 limit, especially when it includes Focus abilities.

Anyone know the prerequisites for getting Dorian's companion quest to flag?

I'm pretty far into the game now and I'm fairly certain his approval would be high enough for it to flag. Starting to worry that it may be bugged but I'm hopeful I'm just missing something.

RDreamer

I'm pretty far into the game now and I'm fairly certain his approval would be high enough for it to flag. Starting to worry that it may be bugged but I'm hopeful I'm just missing something.

You have to talk to
Giselle
, apparently. She'll enter the main hall if you have the requirements for it. Unfortunately, that quest bugs out a lot. Mine's bugged out, so no Dorian quest for me :(

Sucks because he was always in my party and a favorite...

jgwhiteus

I never got his quest to flag in the game either. After I'd completed the game, I read some stuff online on this (it's a known bug) and went back to an earlier save to see if I could initiate it, and got it to work - the only requirement is that you see a cutscene conversation with him about Felix, after which Mother Giselle will appear almost immediately in the main hall (not the garden) to deliver a message.

The cutscene never happened for me in my first playthrough, even though I checked in with him constantly and had high approval. I thought the cutscene wouldn't be available after a certain point, but another poster (I think in this thread) said they were able to get the conversation and the quest very late in the game.

Posters on the Bioware forum have different suggestions to get the conversation to appear; some suggest not flirting with him or talking too much to him (well, guilty on my part), others say to approach him immediately after getting Skyhold, etc. The bug may also be affected by whether you did the Templar / Mage quest... ugh.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/530364-is-dorians-side-quest-buggedpossible-spoilers/

For Mother Giselle to appear in the hall, the only pre-requisite is watching Dorian's cutscene in which he tells you about Félix's fate. The problem is, something is causing this particular cutscene to be locked out. I suppose having more approval is better than disapproval, but like I said I've received the quest with little approval. Something between the events of Haven to Skyhold is bugging him.

For those having trouble, I recommend talking to Dorian sparingly at Haven if you sided with the mages, and don't inquire about Alexius until after getting Mother Giselle to appear. If you sided with the Templars, immediately recruit Dorian before talking to anyone at Skyhold, then leave and come back. Everything should be cleaned up (it needs to be this way for Giselle to appear), talk to Dorian and it SHOULD trigger the Félix cutscene. If not, do Dorian's Request on the war table and it should open up One Less Venatori. Talk to him and hopefully that will trigger the cutscene. I remember on one play through I had to gain two greatly approvals before it would trigger, but on the play through after that it triggered with only one "slightly approves".

You have to talk to
Giselle
, apparently. She'll enter the main hall if you have the requirements for it. Unfortunately, that quest bugs out a lot. Mine's bugged out, so no Dorian quest for me :(

Sucks because he was always in my party and a favorite...

Yeah, seems like it's bugged for me as well.

Well that really blows, even more so that a fix for it doesn't seem to be included in the latest patch.

I never got his quest to flag in the game either. After I'd completed the game, I read some stuff online on this (it's a known bug) and went back to an earlier save to see if I could initiate it, and got it to work - the only requirement is that you see a cutscene conversation with him about Felix, after which Mother Giselle will appear almost immediately in the main hall (not the garden) to deliver a message.

The cutscene never happened for me in my first playthrough, even though I checked in with him constantly and had high approval. I thought the cutscene wouldn't be available after a certain point, but another poster (I think in this thread) said they were able to get the conversation and the quest very late in the game.

Posters on the Bioware forum have different suggestions to get the conversation to appear; some suggest not flirting with him or talking too much to him (well, guilty on my part), others say to approach him immediately after getting Skyhold, etc. The bug may also be affected by whether you did the Templar / Mage quest... ugh.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/530364-is-dorians-side-quest-buggedpossible-spoilers/

Thanks for this. Unfortunately I'm much too far into the game now so I suppose I just have to miss out. Maybe I can get it to flag on a second playthrough.

I've ran some tests and pretty sure that's how it works. Disable all skills, leave a skill that's not on the bar on preferred, never use anything. They only use what's on the bar, similar to the inquisitor, which forces you to make choices. At least it's consistent, even though I'm not a big fan of the 8 limit, especially when it includes Focus abilities.
Damn, if this is true...my companions have been seriously gimped due to the fact that I never play them and therefore never even touched their skill bars.

Kimaka

Fucking hell. I have to do the
Alexius fight
over again because it freezed during a cutscene. I wish they wouldn't have prevent saving during combat.

Going into this game, I was prepared for bugs. I pretty much have to being a fan of CRPGs, but even Skyrim wasn't this bad.

Hollycat

I love this game to pieces, but my god is it easy to break. Every time my dalish elf gets hit without guard, she immediately gets 4 guard.

Edit: I don't know why or how, but now that boost has jumped to full guard on every hit, even if I have guard. Immortality ho..?

SRTtoZ

Beat it finally doing about 75% of everything in the game and clocking in at 80 hours. Great game, loved the ending, and dat after the credits scene.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
All the rogues do fine on any difficulty as long as you give them a bow. If you don't like Sera, don't use her.

And Cole is better anyhow.

I've grown to really like using Cole too...dat DPS.....

Interesting banter too with him, his existence is such an odd mystery... come to think of it, this is probably the most interesting and deep companions in any BioWare game IMO.

So many levels of emotional complexity and deep characterization: blows me away.

Much like ME2, this game is held up by it's amazing character interaction: which is fine by me!

The Iron Bull once again demonstrates how he is the best companion by giving me a reason to turn helmets on.

I know right!

Dread is the dopest looking helmet in the game, bar none.

ok lol fuck that not downloading that shit.... oh man I have on auto-updates I wonder if I can turn on that system and turn it off.... I better just unplug my router lol can you play the game at all without the patching the game
man you scared me still not sure if I should rick it lol

more than anything I just want the audio fixed and the goddamn shit loading in the menus the menus are literally terribly designed and the loading just makes it worse :/

I honestly do not know what that was.

I was about ready to reinstall the entire game because I restarted my PS4 twice but eventually I decided to rebuild my database and it decided to download the same patch after it.

That was some creepy shit. I almost lost my 50 hour save.

Ploid 3.0

Oh crap, looks like I'm sticking to archer for a while. I have 0 cunning prestige, time to work on that. Everything seem to be pushing me to go archer and it was pretty much the class I was avoiding. Punched by the Maker bow, countless archer cards with only one more armor of archer to unlock (I never crafted one), this thing, awesome crit rings, cooldown necklace, now I need a belt.

If they bring out unique tier armor I will hate that I wasted this on a blue armor.

whats the word on the patch?

If you don't play MP wait for the hotfix to correct some bugs in the patch. For me, it causes me to crash when I never crashed much since launch (CTD and it's annoying).

Edit: Oh if you play on PC that is. I don't know about PS4.

The Iron Bull once again demonstrates how he is the best companion by giving me a reason to turn helmets on.

Oh good, he does get good headwear eventually!

For hours I was running around with him in yellow face paint and black lipstick. He looked like a damn clown. I finally got one that was red that looks OK, but I still think it's a bad look. Can't wait till I find something like that.

fedexpeon

Banned
They haven't fix the items/gold duping thing right?
I want to get the new patch, but the duping trick is too useful for those stupid grinding sidequests that demand 500000000000000000000000 ores for a pointing stick.

Had the bug where killing the 10th dragon doesn't trigger the trophy to pop. I had to reload and kill it again which worked.

Just a heads up.

JNA

Banned
What the fuuuuuuuuck!? I'll put it in spoilers just in case.

Ok, that 16 hour little operation that was finished called "contact hero of Feraldin"? Well I assumed this was going to be some major operation that would either finally find my hero character from Origins or Morrigan at least. But noooooooooooo. Instead, all I got was a stupid letter that said freaking nothing and an Enhanced Health Belt...16 hour operation for that!?

Such bullshit. What a freaking waste of time and resources for that one. :(

Dresden

They haven't fix the items/gold duping thing right?
I want to get the new patch, but the duping trick is too useful for those stupid grinding sidequests that demand 500000000000000000000000 ores for a pointing stick.

you know you could just not do them right

Ok, that 16 hour little operation that was finished called "contact hero of Feraldin"? Well I assumed this was going to be some major operation that would either finally find my hero character from Origins or Morrigan at least. But noooooooooooo. Instead, all I got was a stupid letter that said freaking nothing and an Enhanced Health Belt...16 hour operation for that!?

I lol'd pretty good at that.

Darak

I don't get the 'leave the hinderlands' meme.

All the game areas follow the same design pattern. There are always shards, rifts, star puzzles, bottles of Thedas, rocks and plants, location spots, fedex sidequests, and a bigger but still bare-bones quest affecting the monster respawns in the area.

If you don't like those elements in the Hinderlands, you won't like them anywhere else.

SRTtoZ

I'm actually glad since I ended up beating the game before I had anyone available to do that operation. All of my agents were stuck on LONG ass operations and I beat the game in the meantime. Now I don't need to go back to see its not so awesome.

I don't get the 'leave the hinderlands' meme.

All the game areas follow the same design pattern. There are always shards, rifts, star puzzles, bottles of Thedas, rocks and plants, location spots, fedex sidequests, and a bigger but still bare-bones quest affecting the monster respawns in the area.

If you don't like those elements in the Hinderlands, you won't like them anywhere else.

I took it more towards gtfo out and move the game forward. People not even siding with a faction hitting level 10. That shit ain't right.

I think I have decided to maybe trade this in. I don't think I am enjoying this as much a other people seem to be. I don't think I am invested enough in the story to find al the little pieces of lore and dialogue interesting, means I am just playing for gameplay which isn't clicking with me. I left the Hinterlands a while ago and my character is level 9. I have been Skyhold, Emerald Graves, Fallow Mire, Oasis, for a bit of context.

Lingitiz

I think I have decided to maybe trade this in. I don't think I am enjoying this as much a other people seem to be. I don't think I am invested enough in the story to find al the little pieces of lore and dialogue interesting, means I am just playing for gameplay which isn't clicking with me. I left the Hinterlands a while ago and my character is level 9. I have been Skyhold, Emerald Graves, Fallow Mire, Oasis, for a bit of context.

I've been playing for about 40 hours and I'm starting to feel this way too. But for me, I just don't like the structure of the game all that much. These huge open areas have really boring MMO quests spattered throughout that have little substance. The maps feel so lifeless and static that its hard to really care what I'm doing. I'm finding myself just going through the motions. I just wish there was more life to the game. Like ambient music, a day/night cycle...just something to make it feel like a living world. It comes off as really dead and full of filler content, made worse by the fairly boring combat.

Top Bottom