• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Reading this thread makes me feel like by not using any online resources and just playing the game however my first time through I am missing out on so much.

My OCD is starting to tingle GAF...

There's not really much in the game that's "missable."

That's what second playthroughs are for.
I'm not sure what you'd even need a 2nd playthrough for in terms of things you could miss other than storyline decisions.

dralla

Anyone have a problem finding better gear? I have enough good gear for 4-5 party members so I just stick to them. I'd like to use more people but they're not up to par. Is there a place to buy better schematics? or a good place to loot? I'm 25 hours or so in, level 12? I think

I just got the 3 specialization quests but they don't actually show up on my map when you set them as active, is that supposed to happen? For the tempest specialization, I have to fill jars being killing demons in certain spots. But when I go to those spots there are no demons, just animals.

I feel like I should prioritize specialization before moving on to other quests. Is there any benefit to doing all three specialization quests if you're only going to pick one? And how do you get your party members to specialize.

I always sit down to play this hoping to make lots of progress but I always end up walking around, talking to people, exploring areas I haven't been. The game just looks so damn good and I can't help it..grr

One-Shot

Banned
I love that I put like 20 hours into the game then only just get past the battle at Haven and now it's like...oh okay now the game actually begins.

aborath

Neo Member
I am playing as archer and find it boring as well but have heard great things about warrior.

For me, I do not feel compelled to go through the motions. Dragon Age: Origin must have been truly special in that regard. In that game, the lore unraveled as I traversed the different areas. The characters would open up dialogue about what we were doing. It felt organic and I was invested. Here, not so much. It is just banter that feels forced. I feel nothing for these characters or the world they travel in.

Also, the dragons do not evoke any sense of dread at all. they're kind of just there.

That's the problem with open-world games, at least for me; it's just too easy to lose the thread, and thus lose interest in the game.

aborath

Neo Member
Anyone have a problem finding better gear? I have enough good gear for 4-5 party members so I just stick to them. I'd like to use more people but they're not up to par. Is there a place to buy better schematics? or a good place to loot? I'm 25 hours or so in, level 12? I think

Hissing Wastes vendor has a good collection of Tier 3 scematics. You could also do the Cradle of Sulevin farm.

TheExodu5

Banned
I am getting ready to play this game after finishing FC4 and I have not played previous titles. What class do you recommend?

I like ranged classes in this game, personally. Lets you have a better overview of the combat, and you'll usually want to initiate combat with a ranged character anyways.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ending:
Did they run out of time for a proper ending? What an letdown, boss was dull and it felt incredibly rushed.

fallingdove

Anyone have a problem finding better gear? I have enough good gear for 4-5 party members so I just stick to them. I'd like to use more people but they're not up to par. Is there a place to buy better schematics?

Edit: Beaten

Hissing Wastes is the best place I have found for schematics. With the right materials you should be able to craft armor in the 230-250 range for all classes.

DMczaf

About to do Buy 2 Get 1 Free at Best Buy with my GCU.

Is the Deluxe PC version worth the upgrade over the regular version?

There's not really much in the game that's "missable."

I'm not sure what you'd even need a 2nd playthrough for in terms of things you could miss other than storyline decisions.
It's a big world. Lots of things to overlook if you're not picking the OT's brains or got your nose stuck in a wiki.

Begaria

I'm level 18, going through the Emerald Graves (about 2/3 done). Cool looking area. I still have two areas left untouched and I'm nearing 70 hours played. As for the story, I've:
Gone through the Grey Warden/Fade portion. Next story bit is checking out the assassination attempt on the Empress.
. I tend to do most of the sidequests possible in a RPG and just ripping through the main story with overpowered characters from doing all of the sidequests.

Ralemont

not me
And go back at any time. None of it is missable.

That's true, but I think of it less in terms of missable content and more that in subsequent playthroughs I know what to expect from the game and have a more enjoyable experience. I know what I can skip (fuck shards) I know how to space out character quests better (and by extension the romance arc) and I have a better idea what role-playing decisions work best considering how the story works out (I'm a guy but considering doing a female playthrough to romance a certain character).

Basically in every BioWare game I end up enjoying the story more in second playthroughs or beyond because I have a better idea of how to craft the story/gameplay experience I want. I also am far less impatient with the story so I tend to read the codices a lot more which will probably make the side stories in zones much more interesting.

Ending:
Did they run out of time for a proper ending? What an letdown, boss was dull and it felt incredibly rushed.
Yeah the boss was easy as hell,he was more harder in the Dragon Age 2 Legacy DLC to be honest lol.

Also I know its early but I'm ready for some DLC right now and at least one with more Ben Hassrath action. Man how awesome would it be for more past characters to make a return especially Tallis.

It's a big world. Lots of things to overlook if you're not picking the OT's brains or got your nose stuck in a wiki.

Those aren't "missables" though. Missables is stuff that can only be done or obtained at a specific point in the game which forces you to replay the game to acquire if you miss it(or well load a save that's before). There's not much in that regard in this game. Sure you can miss stuff, but that's not what people refer to as missables usually, it's "one time" stuff they refer to.

I'm trying to figure out a good example in DA:I terms but I'm honestly not sure there's important missables. Maybe some companions recruitment quests disapear if you advance the story? They're very hard to miss so I don't know, haven't tried.

There's a few minor missables like mostly schematics(but mostly/entirely tier1/2 so not important ones) and a few other things like amulets of power and blue gear. Story quest specific areas is where most of them are(for example
winter palace
has quite a few things you can miss, though most of it is fairly irrelevant), as well as in a few cases war table mission lines.

Khar

Ugh at the stuttering caused by the patch. I tried that ShaderSystem.ShaderQualityLevel fix and it got rid of the mirror-like hair but the performance issues remain.

I've used System Restore to get rid of it for now. It means I lost 40 minutes or so of progress as you can't open newer saves with an older version of the game but the jerkiness was making gameplay awful. It even jerks around on the war table.

I hope this gets sorted out.

On a positive note, I'm really enjoying DAI. I'm 70 hours in and I've still got so much to do. I'll easily power through the rest of the game - and by rest I mean every single inch of every zone and every quest because I can't resist being a completionist with RPGs - over the next month.

For the next Dragon Age game I would like to see a couple of slightly more fleshed out side-quests per zone. They don't have to be different mechanically. I'd just like a little choice in the conversation system and the outcomes of the quests.

Think KOTOR: the woman and her droid on Dantooine is essentially a fetch quest but the different options add a lot of flavour to your character.

Or all the different outcomes from the side quest with those Montague and Capulet styled families on the same planet.

Just using those two as an example: all of those quests use the same NPCs and areas on the map but how they play out can be wildly different depending on your choices. The droid one isn't even more than a couple of minutes long. But it's memorable from the writing and how you can react to what you find. I'd like to see a return to that.

I don't give a toss whether every single one of these side quests are mentioned in subsequent games either. I'm mentioning this because some of the small details for Origins in the Keep are things I barely remember, let alone care about seeing again. I mean did I help the barmaid in Redcliffe? Honestly, I'm certain I did but I'm also certain that I'm happy for this never to be mentioned again. Some choices can easily be stand-alone in a single game.

So yeah, I like choices. They don't have to be world changing ones. Sometimes it's the little things.

Menome

Was the 2nd patch hot fixed or would I be better leaving it for today?

If you're on PC and didn't have any issues, wait for the hotfix.

If you're on PC and had issues before (wrong gender etc.), then give it a download and use the command-line fix for the graphics problem.

If you're on consoles, patch away.

Just noticed the flashing lights on the mini map showing the loot, this would have been great from the start for all the bright areas in the game, that was one of my main gripes with the game. Great addition.

Having a problem with the PS4 version of DA:I.

I installed a new 2TB HDD into my Ps4 today so have been downloading all my games again via PSN however my digital deluxe copy of DA:I won't work I have deleted and downloaded it 3 times now reinstalled and done all the updates but everytime I try to launch the game it crashes while loading up and comes up with an error code that tells me to check the update. So I check it and it says it is updated.

I don't know what to do now any suggestions or anyone else encountered this problem?

All other games I have downloaded onto the new HDD play fine so don't think its that.

Error code is: (CE-34878-0)

So guys I have been looking everywhere for velveteen which I need for the hinterlands requisition. I killed the bandits, outlaws, mages and templars and none of them had it. Where can I get it from?

murgo

This game is so fucking huge, I can't believe this. I already spent 40 hours in Thedas and it feels like I barely even scratched the surface.

Neoweee

So guys I have been looking everywhere for velveteen which I need for the hinterlands requisition. I killed the bandits, outlaws, mages and templars and none of them had it. Where can I get it from?

Dont waste your time on the requisitions. Infinitely repeatable power farms are what they are.

Smoolio

Ending:

I finished everything before doing the temple of mythal, doing that then the Morrigan stuff and the final in a row was epic I felt. A culmination of dismantling his power, then new story threads/twists with the elf and flemeth stuff and then finally Cory's last ditch effort nope sorry inquisitor is too powerful now (KE was fade stepping all attacks and hitting him with 20k firemine crits on nightmare) ultimate hero empowerment, after mass3 it was just what I needed.

After about 7-8 hours running around the Storm Coast, I gave up on finding that last Apparatus and just became an assassin.

So fucking frustrated. I have no idea if the game glitches or if I did something wrong. But I know I won't be a Tempest this play through.

What's a good point to start using crafting materials and buying schematics so it doesn't feel like a waste of money? I'm sitting on 23K and a bunch of tier 2 materials afraid to waste anything.

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
After about 7-8 hours running around the Storm Coast, I gave up on finding that last Apparatus and just became an assassin.

So fucking frustrated. I have no idea if the game glitches or if I did something wrong. But I know I won't be a Tempest this play through.

- which one? Is it the Fishing House one in the East Side Hills? I found that one by fluke, but I didn't like my save files, so I had redo it and yeah, it's a pain in the ass.

- which one? Is it the Fishing House one in the East Side Hills? I found that one by fluke, but I didn't like my save files, so I had redo it and yeah, it's a pain in the ass.
I have no idea which one I missed. I know I got the one below the main encampment, but the other one I already had. I think it was the Long River one that didn't spawn as that was the area I had explored the least.

CGwizz

I have almost 100 hour and still didnt unlocked any 20 power zones, last misson i did was that with the grey wardens , i still have the other importante story mission to do but first i will play all the other zones i will clean any zone and then i will focus on story.

Shit the game is huge.

Top Bottom