• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

emag

I only have two complaints about the game so far.

1. There is too much to do. I am about to start Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts. I have 50 power I have yet to explore The Fallow Mire, Most of the storm coast and have yet to go to The Forbidden Oasis. I want to explore but I don't want to be too overpowered for the main story missions. I think I am level 14 at this stage.

2. There should some kind of storage chest for items I want to keep. Good weapons that are too high of a level just take up space and runes you don't want to use yet.

Power usage must jump later in the game but according to the guide I only have 4 story missions left.

Any suggestions on what I should do now? Should I continue the story or open more areas and get more power?

Oh man. Fallow Mire was the best part questline/area of the game, but you're way overleveled for it now. There's nothing in the Forbidden Oasis but the shard exchange and generic quests.

Should have left the Hinterlands earlier.

leng jai

I have to do a fresh reboot every time I want to play this game otherwise it stutters like crazy and the load times are 5 times longer.

Vengal

So since when did reverents come out of rifts?

On my second play through and kicked it off today after the patch. Was messing around in the swamp at level 8 and hit a rift where one of those fellows came out and proceeded to paste my mages very fast.

I never saw one my first time through the game, but maybe that was just strange rng.

Hystzen

So since when did reverents come out of rifts?

On my second play through and kicked it off today after the patch. Was messing around in the swamp at level 8 and hit a rift where one of those fellows came out and proceeded to paste my mages very fast.

I never saw one my first time through the game, but maybe that was just strange rng.

Some high level rifts kick them out not sure if rifts are random. I had a rift that spat out 4 pride demons which was laughably easy but next one spat out 5 despair demons and I got wrecked hard.

Lucreto

I plan to try my luck on the Hinterlands dragon so I need to outfit my party with fire resistant armour. What items should I be looking for to get the 10% or 20% fire resistance.

This is interesting:

So basically you best not be playing on a toaster. Ultra/High/(Medium?) settings people are ok though.

That's kind of weird to me because if I remember the character creator correctly, that implies Bioware had only two age settings: "supermodel young" and "grandmother's corpse." Surely that can't be right. Or maybe there were less severe aging patterns that blended in Ultra to nothingness?

That's kind of weird to me because if I remember the character creator correctly, that implies Bioware had only two age settings: "supermodel young" and "grandmother's corpse." Surely that can't be right. Or maybe there were less severe aging patterns that blended in Ultra to nothingness?
To me there was a very clear distinction between young, middle aged, and old. Not sure where middle aged got lost in that.

Kimaka

I finally got passed
Alexius after three fights since the game crashed twice during the post fight cutscene. That was a cool questline and fight despite the technical issues I've been having. Those slowdown and speedup circles were a neat idea.

I am very happy that even though I picked the mage quest I did not have to endorse their goals. Cullen pitched a fit when I decided to strike a deal with the mages then was almost giddy after I imprisoned them while Leliana and Josephine were angry with me. Sorry guys, the mages are too dumb and dangerous to let out on their own now. Maybe we'll talk about freedom once they get some competent leadership.

Do all of the interesting sidequests occur after you get Skyhold? I have unlocked the Storm Coast, The Fallow Mire, and Forbidden Oasis and they all seem to have fetch quests like the Hinterlands. Will I miss any cool questlines if I move the story along?

Ploid 3.0

Finally got robot bow, I think I'm going to start saving for 5+ chests before I start opening them from now on. It seems better, or at least you get an effect of loot-splosions. I still want a awesome awesome staff though. Using ilvl 20 Base DMG:65 Staff of the Void for now which is good with the 10% chance to activate Walking Fortress for 2 seconds but that thing never really helps me out I don't think.

hW6swMa.jpg

Archer with Punched by the Maker.
Hunter with Robot bow.

I really hope they do something for assassin and alchemist, I have nice weapons for them but they seem too prone to get killed in perilous. Same for Reaver and Katari, Reaver just need a fix on an ability not working.

steadfast

Wandering around Griffin Keep, come across squad of recruits.

Sergeant: "Who can tell me the primary weapons of the Inquisition?"
Recruit 1: "Surprise, sir?"

/dead

Fucking LOVE this game. I knew that there would be a Monty Python joke in there somewhere, didn't expect it to be relatively subtle.

PooBone

I beat this game earlier today. It's my game of the year. Final playtime was 97:40 I was pissed that the dialogue with Scout Harding implied I could romance her right up until the end and then just sort of stopped. Blackwall was my favorite of the party characters. EDIT: Three times I had to restart main story missions due to bugs.

Mine01

So guys where do I get spiritual essense for the tempest quest? Have been closing rifts but hadn't found any :( also what else I need? I got the containers and the book.

Did Leliana's personal quest and, damn, that was
grim and kind of depressing. Having her resigned to life as a spymaster and assassin is just a sad outcome after her start in DA:O. Was there any way to get a different outcome?

So guys where do I get spiritual essense for the tempest quest? Have been closing rifts but hadn't found any :( also what else I need? I got the containers and the book.

The quest specifies to find certain roving packs of demons in the Storm Coast. They drop them.

Edit: Or am I thinking of the containment apparatus? Can't remember.

aborath

Neo Member
I finally got passed
Alexius after three fights since the game crashed twice during the post fight cutscene. That was a cool questline and fight despite the technical issues I've been having. Those slowdown and speedup circles were a neat idea.

I am very happy that even though I picked the mage quest I did not have to endorse their goals. Cullen pitched a fit when I decided to strike a deal with the mages then was almost giddy after I imprisoned them while Leliana and Josephine were angry with me. Sorry guys, the mages are too dumb and dangerous to let out on their own now. Maybe we'll talk about freedom once they get some competent leadership.

Wow, same thing happened to me. I had a fight
Alexius
three times, because I kept getting a DirectX error crash during each post-fight cutscene. Then I got a forth during the dialogue in Skyhold. Did a little poking around, and I found a post that suggested disabling AO and going full-screen (windowed). Did both, and I haven't had a crash since. Not sure what the issue was. Some people were reporting their GPUs overheating during cutscenes, and some went as far as to underclock them. CPUID HWMonitor shows that my GTX 760 topped out at 61°, so I don't think that's the issue. Crossing my fingers that the little fix that I applied solves the issue.

grim and kind of depressing. Having her resigned to life as a spymaster and assassin is just a sad outcome after her start in DA:O. Was there any way to get a different outcome?

Yeah.
You can stop her killing sister whatshername and she realises that killing isn't the only option. You have to stop her killing that traitor dude right at the start in Haven or you can't stop her at the temple.

Kimaka

Wow, same thing happened to me. I had a fight
Alexius
three times, because I kept getting a DirectX error crash during each post-fight cutscene. Then I got a forth during the dialogue in Skyhold. Did a little poking around, and I found a post that suggested disabling AO and going full-screen (windowed). Did both, and I haven't had a crash since. Not sure what the issue was. Some people were reporting their GPUs overheating during cutscenes, and some went as far as to underclock them. CPUID HWMonitor shows that my GTX 760 topped out at 61°, so I don't think that's the issue. Crossing my fingers that the little fix that I applied solves the issue.

I used to have it on windowed fullscreen but instead of that DirectX crash it would freeze during cutscenes. I'll try disabling AO also to see if that will help. Thanks :)

Gvaz

Banned
I already had her before winter palace so maybe your approval isn't high enough yet?

Lol sounds just like how I'm imagining my second play through, bull is actually pretty awesome, like his banter too. I only switched him out for cass to get dem approval ratings :3

How did you have her before winter palace? she seems to always approve of me, Ive done all her side quests, always take her with me, she wont talk to me that much, I only after WP got everyone's final sidequest...

Gvaz

Banned
Also sera is awful and next playthrough I'm getting her for the jar of bees then immediately kicking her out. Fuck sera.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok I feel really dumb now

After 53hours in I just realized that I'm not sure I understand the Focus mechanic properly? lol

I was looking at the video for the ritual thing and the guy was playing with keyboard and mouse and you can clearly see the three bars for the three levels of focus...

However, I'm playing with a controler and I feel like I only see one level of Focus? Like I see the bunch of small gems that fills up and then it becomes one full bar that does about 25% of the circumference of my ability circle on the right side... Is that it?

I think I have decided to maybe trade this in. I don't think I am enjoying this as much a other people seem to be. I don't think I am invested enough in the story to find al the little pieces of lore and dialogue interesting, means I am just playing for gameplay which isn't clicking with me. I left the Hinterlands a while ago and my character is level 9. I have been Skyhold, Emerald Graves, Fallow Mire, Oasis, for a bit of context.

You think too much.

Go meet the Iron Bull in
Storm Coast
and shed that burden.

Speaking of the Bull, I just learned that Freddie Prinze Jr. voices Iron Bull. He's way more talented than I ever would have guessed... he's done a fantastic job with the character, as have the writers.

After 53hours in I just realized that I'm not sure I understand the Focus mechanic properly? lol

I was looking at the video for the ritual thing and the guy was playing with keyboard and mouse and you can clearly see the three bars for the three levels of focus...

However, I'm playing with a controler and I feel like I only see one level of Focus? Like I see the bunch of small gems that fills up and then it becomes one full bar that does about 25% of the circumference of my ability circle on the right side... Is that it?

There's three focus levels. One is unlocked from story progression, and the other two are unlocked by Inquisition perks.

The focus bar is, simply put, the three lines just above the ability bar.

Megasoum

Banned
You think too much.

Go meet the Iron Bull in
Storm Coast
and shed that burden.

Speaking of the Bull, I just learned that Freddie Prinze Jr. voices Iron Bull. He's way more talented than I ever would have guessed... he's done a fantastic job with the character, as have the writers.

There's three focus levels. One is unlocked from story progression, and the other two are unlocked by Inquisition perks.

The focus bar is, simply put, the three lines just above the ability bar.

Right so I only have one bar but that's normal since I don't have the perk... phew lol.

huxley00

Just finished it myself, I think its a great character arc, wouldn't have it any other way really.

emag

I didn't realize until extremely late in the game that each character had their own focus bar. Prior to that realization, I hadn't even bothered to have most characters learn their focus abilities (only Inquisitor, Viv, and Sera).

But even after I figured them all out, I only actually used focus on dragons. :/

aborath

Neo Member

Do you have the inquisition perks that unlock additional focus levels? There are two, and they're in Cullen's path. As you add them, you'll gain additional sections of yellow bar around the circle.

No idea what the gems represent, but I've got them also.

Also, can someone tell me the best way to farm spirit essences?

Top Bottom