• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Well I just about had a heart attack.

Booted up DAI to start a new set of war table missions. Press Load.

"Corrupt Save"

For whatever reason the game loaded up anyway and I didn't lose any progress but my save was completely gone. Made two new saves but now I'm afraid those might end up corrupted too. Losing 117 hours of game time is not something I'm excited about...

Edit:

Saved, closed and reloaded the game and now all my saves from before are back. Very strange. Planning on finishing the game tomorrow so hope it holds out until then.

JeffG

At what level should I leave Hinterlands? I have a few more areas opened up but i get my ass beat when I go to them

~9ish

The first playthrough I left at 11. Was a touch over leveled. My 3rd playthrough I am at 7 and getting my butt kicked in certain areas forcing me to grid a little bit

Mind you, visit the Chantry at 4

At what level should I leave Hinterlands? I have a few more areas opened up but i get my ass beat when I go to them

I've seen this posted on various sites a few times. I think it's from the Prima guide?

The Hinterlands
Level: 2-12

The Storm Coast
Level: 7-15

Fallow Mire
Level: 8-15

Forbidden Oasis
Level: 5-20

Crestwood
Level: 10-13

The Western Approach
Level: 10-14

The Exalted Plains
Level: 10-16

Emerald Graves
Level: 14-20

Emprise du Lion
Level: 16-22

The Hissing Wastes
Level: 19-23

gogosox82

Why does the AI never do what I want them to do unless I micromanage them? Put Spell Purge on deactivate for Cassandra because she fucking uses in like every fight regardless of who we are fighting and she fucking uses it anyway. Then I go to fight the dragon in Crestwood and Dorian just stands in a corner barely attacking for like half the fight. The AI is just so bad in this game which wouldn't have been a problem if they would've given us a proper tactics menu.

Why does the AI never do what I want them to do unless I micromanage them? Put Spell Purge on deactivate for Cassandra because she fucking uses in like every fight regardless of who we are fighting and she fucking uses it anyway. Then I go to fight the dragon in Crestwood and Dorian just stands in a corner barely attacking for like half the fight. The AI is just so bad in this game which wouldn't have been a problem if they would've given us a proper tactics menu.

I'm sure I read earlier they only cast spells on their quickbar. I don't have the game but give it a try.

Korten

Banned
So I have the OST and been wondering... I almost swear it's not there, but does anyone know the specific track for the song that plays when you fight dragons?

jgwhiteus

Yeah, I agree it's frustrating. I specifically disable Dispel for my mages because I want to target and use it manually, especially in Rift fights where you have a short time frame to place it before enemies appear. But half the time the spell's unavailable because my companions have already used it, usually to break an enemy's Barrier.

So even though it's set to "disable", something in the game's tactics AI must prioritize the behavior "use Dispel when enemy has Barrier"... which means disabling abilities is kind of useless.

As much as I've enjoyed the game (I'm on my second playthrough), I feel there's very little in the way of tactics / planning in combat - I kind of treat it like an action RPG where I just spam abilities as soon as they've finished cool-down and only pause to heal, and that works for 95% of fights. The other 5% (e.g. dragons) require me to micro-manage to stop my companions from doing stupid things, rather than having them be helpful to execute some sort of strategy.

is the patch fixed on PC yet?

Yes, the hotfix was released tonight - just update the game on Origin. It takes away the low-quality mesh / shader issue that the patch introduced, though some people (mainly with Nvidia cards?) are still noticing stutters / occasional crashes. I played a bit tonight and thankfully the game didn't crash once (which is a first).

Some Nobody

Like, level 6 or so. Experience gains should be slow as shit at that point. When the only rifts left are level 8 or 10, time to go. Do the story, or head to the Storm Coast and do what you can there. It'll even out if you do both. By the time you hit level 10, more of the game will be doable.

Footos22

god the ai is awful.

Hit level 12 last night so thought ill go back and clear up whatever i missed in the hiniterlands.

Met the dragon. ai just all stood in the puddle of flames the dragon left with his fireball and all died.
guess ill be using tactical camera for that fight. Nightmare difficulty.

couldnt even get close enough with viv to just wreck him

Ok jesus now I see why people keep saying Knight Enchanter is op. You really can just solo if you want. I don't mind it I love destroying everything especially fade rifts.

uniform

Finishing Emerald Graves, so that just leaves 2 zones left (Emprise du Lion & Hissing Wastes) and I have yet to find any decent weapon or armor paterns and missing a bunch of the Skyhold unlockables. Either this stuff is well hidden or I fear they'll throw all this stuff at me when I'm pretty much at the end of the game, with little time to enjoy it.

The loot drops have been terrible thus far in my playthrough. Not sure how loot tables work, but no exaggeration: purple daggers off every dragon and major enemy I've killed. I don't even roll with a dagger user. The only worthwhile loot I've found since the beginning of the game is sold by Skyhold merchants. Frustrating.

Is there any way to not wear stupid Commander outfit when in
Skyhold
? It is so out of place and dumb looking. I feel like I should be on the Normandy and not in a fucking fantasy world.

aborath

Neo Member
Skyhold
? It is so out of place and dumb looking. I feel like I should be on the Normandy and not in a fucking fantasy world.

Really a missed opportunity IMO to do some ME-style casual-wear. Imagine, you could have suits of differing flavor: Baroque Orlesian, Chaste Andraste, Practical Ferelden. It would be way preferable (IMHO) to walking around in armor 24/7, like some sort of Avvar Survivalist-nut. Maybe we'll see it as DLC.

Iron Bull: You're good with that sword.
Blackwall: Thanks.
Iron Bull: I see all that time on your own has given you a firm grip.
iE4eUIKeNZuFU.gif

God damn.. how are you gonna come back to that lmao.

Petrie

Banned
I feel like even though I'm 15 or 20 hours in, I might restart.

Playing a Qunari warrior and honestly, feels really shitty in combat. Went 2 handed and defensive and just feels, very eh. I switch to Dorian in combat and use magic and it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Hate to lose all that progress, but eh. Is there an option to respec at all? Thinking maybe if I can at least change the abilities I have I might enjoy things more.

Really a missed opportunity IMO to do some ME-style casual-wear. Imagine, you could have suits of differing flavor: Baroque Orlesian, Chaste Andraste, Practical Ferelden. It would be way preferable (IMHO) to walking around in armor 24/7, like some sort of Avvar Survivalist-nut. Maybe we'll see it as DLC.

My favorite part is they added so much customization to
Skyhold
, but you cannot change your stupid dress up commander clothes. It's so dumb, hahahaha.

I suck at crafting is their anyway I can get good weapons and armor for

Mage Inquisitor
Blackwall
Vivinne
Iron Bull (2h)

level 5-6

You can get a pretty sweet axe for Iron Bull if you do the main quest in the swamp area. The name escapes me, but it's on the south part of Ferelden in the world map.

For Blackwall I think you can get a purple sword somewhere in the Hinterlands, but I don't remember where precisely, just follow the quests and you should eventually get it.

For Vivienne I'm not sure, but I've had little issues coming across multiple rare staffs just playing normally. There's also a mission-chain you can follow to find the
"axe"
of something something and in the end I believe you get a special staff.

I've seen this posted on various sites a few times. I think it's from the Prima guide?

Those are both misleading and wrong so wouldn't use them besides as an overall order in which to clear zones. Min/max levels are area specific, some zones have very high level specific areas and the rest of the zone is much lower(example would be oasis, it says it scales to 20 but that's only the temple few trash mobs, most of oasis itself is capped to like 11, with like one or two area capped at 15). Following this system, in some cases they didn't actually get the right values, for example Storm Coast goes up to 19 or so, maybe higher, but only in the last area with the dragon, same for Western Approach the last areas go higher than that, at least 15.

The order of the zones is correct overall, though if you're completing all of them you'll probably want to skip some or somehow limit your xp(not take dialogue/codex perks until later in the game for example, or not loot codex stuff unless it's for a quest, especially in towns and such where you can easily come back later), if you want to stay kinda on the right level. The zones will eventually catch up once you reach Emerald or so, but the midgame you'll most likely be pretty overleveled.

So about materials & farming...am I right that all materials, ressources etc. are farmable except dragon stuff?

Im currently finishing 20+ zones & stuff and have the feeling that it could be alot easier (on nightmare) if I would finally start crafting some endgame (tier 3?) stuff.

Arjen

I found the weirdest shield ever last night.

A giant cheese wedge, i bursted out laughing when i saw i could actually equip it.

Beefy

Skyhold

Least you only wear it in
Skyhold
. When I leave there to another area my Inquistor still wears it and I have to re-quip my armour everytime.

Loomba

What is the second easiest dragon to defeat and where is it/what level?

I beat the dragon in the Hinderlands and the battle was great. I want another one!

Top Bottom