• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Beat the game on hard, ~50 hours in, my thoughts (no story spoilers):

The game's main story is good, I have no idea why people complained about it. It's the best main story of three by far, but I didn't really hold DAO/DA2's story in a high place anyway.

The combat is good, but I wouldn't consider it an improvement over DA 1/2. I prefer the pause and plan combat. Hard wasn't really that difficult and I wasn't min/maxing at all. I didn't have an optimal team setup and I hardly used tactical view. I'll have to give nightmare a try on my next playthrough. I played a templar warrior, with cassandra tank, varric bow and arrow and solas support. Didn't craft armor or potions.

The companions are great, much better than the first game, but didn't reach the levels of the second game, but this mostly subjective. It felt like you built a relationship with your companions in DA2 but that's because the story took place over periods of years. Still the amount of ways you can develop your companions is impressive.

One of the biggest disappointments is how there was basically zero scenarios outside of the main story where you could make choices or interact with people. I enjoyed DAO and DA2's sidequest because they were small ordeals where you could interact with people in contained instances. The open world zones basically amount to fetch and exploratory quests. I would have liked to see one main story zone quest similar to how WoW had Warlords of Draenor setup, even if this meant cutting a few zones. I guess I like substance over length (my ideal rpg is 30-40 hours per playthrough, similar to DAO, this game can easily get into 70+ hours). In some way, some of the content can be played through on different run throughs, none of it is integral to the story.

Eitherway I already am looking forward to making my Qunari Mage next followed by a complete dragon age run through if I'm still up to it after that.

Well, far as I can tell the hotfix correcred the problem. My "high" mesh gfx setting works just fine without any sort of command line override.

Yeah I restarted Origin and just got another update.

In case you're not aware: if you right-click on the game in Origin, you can select "Check for Update." It should definitively tell you whether there's something available or not - no restart necessary.

Confusingly, it works sorta oddly: even if there's no new patch available, it will record a download and say "no update available."

Gvaz

Banned
what did she do to you?

She is the female version of a neckbeard.

Ideallistic, impractical, laughs at the stupidest shit, gives you shit if you're being practical, because her fucking impossible magical world is more important to her than the wellbeing of everyone.

she's a child.

Ideallistic, impractical, laughs at the stupidest shit, gives you shit if you're being practical, because her fucking impossible magical world is more important to her than the wellbeing of everyone.

she's a child.

Pretty much 4chan.

I used to think Oghren and Sten were the worst. I was wrong.

M3z_

Sera isn't idealistic, Cassandra is the idealistic one. If anything Sera is irreverent of all the culturally ingrained status and sanctity. Cassandra on the other hand holds dear to all the political entities in the DA universe believing that they can be reformed and removed from corruption. I think both character are enjoyable, but idealistic, or even impractical is not a fitting description of Sera.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
51 hours in.... just unlock the Hissing Waste...

Immediately bombarded with ICONS and ICONS and ICONS and ICONS and ICONS EVERYWHERE.

...I am burned out by these, especially after clearing Emprise de Lion, Hinterlands, Fallow Mire, etc etc....

I think I am just gonna go through the main story..... I am just about to start the Winter Palace, am I still far away from the finishing line, story wise?

Varna

The combat is good, but I wouldn't consider it an improvement over DA 1/2. I prefer the pause and plan combat. Hard wasn't really that difficult and I wasn't min/maxing at all. I didn't have an optimal team setup and I hardly used tactical view. I'll have to give nightmare a try on my next playthrough. I played a templar warrior, with cassandra tank, varric bow and arrow and solas support. Didn't craft armor or potions.

Disappointing to read.

Challenge has been all right so far (I'm at level 10) but I was hoping for something better. I wanted to jump right into nightmare but I figured it's one of those games were the nightmare was just enemies with insane health and damage. Playing Dual Dagger rogue and I hear those guys don't hold up too well in nightmare.

Beat the game on hard, ~50 hours in, my thoughts (no story spoilers):

The companions are great, much better than the first game, but didn't reach the levels of the second game, but this mostly subjective. It felt like you built a relationship with your companions in DA2 but that's because the story took place over periods of years. Still the amount of ways you can develop your companions is impressive.

I can only comment on these points.
I definitely agree that the combat is good & fluid. I love it more than DA 2 which have similar style. The companions are also great. I don't really understand people who claim them bland or whatever, perhaps they haven't got that far? Their stories are great, with several twist & surprises. Varric's is kinda lovely and Blackwall is surprising. Even Leliana has her own side story.

51 hours in.... just unlock the Hissing Waste...

Immediately bombarded with ICONS and ICONS and ICONS and ICONS and ICONS EVERYWHERE.

...I am burned out by these, especially after clearing Emprise de Lion, Hinterlands, Fallow Mire, etc etc....

I think I am just gonna go through the main story..... I am just about to start the Winter Palace, am I still far away from the finishing line, story wise?

About halfway, like I said in my criticism in the game, you're not missing much story wise by skipping those zones, more for post gameplay or second playthroughs. The meat of the game is companion quests and main story

Beefy

So I don't have game crashes anymore (touch wood). But I now have a bug that makes my armour get taken off every time I leave Sky Hold.

Yeah.
You can stop her killing sister whatshername and she realises that killing isn't the only option. You have to stop her killing that traitor dude right at the start in Haven or you can't stop her at the temple.

Cool, nice to know it was an option. Will have to try that on my next playthrough.

Just finished it myself, I think its a great character arc, wouldn't have it any other way really.

Agreed.

supergiz

I just killed my first dragon on hard mode. It was the hinterlands one. Came down to the wire but wow it was exciting. It was really tense how often it would turn around and focus on my mage and rogue. The fire breath is so scary

Maybe this has been answered, sorry: Is there any way to view your "Influence Bar" without earning Influence? Like, is it in a menu somewhere that I'm missing?

EDIT: Found it. *sigh*

Any tips for finding the essence containment apparatus stuff for the rogue tempest specialization? I keep running around the Storm Coast, looking for demons not connected to a rift for them to drop it, but I can't find them anywhere. Struggling.

LuuKyK

Iron Bull is an amazing character. Never getting him out of my party. Him and Vivienne provide some... very interesting dialogues.

Sifl

Any tips for finding the essence containment apparatus stuff for the rogue tempest specialization? I keep running around the Storm Coast, looking for demons not connected to a rift for them to drop it, but I can't find them anywhere. Struggling.
I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to get them from
Red Templar Horrors
behind the locked area where all the red lyrium is. You unlock that area through a war table mission, but idk how to trigger it.

New question: Do ANY of the Attributes contribute to different dialogue options or "speech checks" of any kind? Willpower mentions "Personality", but Cunning also seems likely- if any do, that is.

Haven't been able to find much info outside of pages that reprint in-game text and pass it off as content.

Sanctuary

Two updates and the True Grit perk is still not working correctly. 10% to "all" resists for "all" party members, and it's only applying to the Inquisitor.

New question: Do ANY of the Attributes contribute to different dialogue options or "speech checks" of any kind? Willpower mentions "Personality", but Cunning also seems likely- if any do, that is.

Haven't been able to find much info outside of pages that reprint in-game text and pass it off as content.

Apparently no.
As far as I know, you can only get additional dialog options by unlocking the perks (50% more exp from codex ones).

Some Nobody

she's a child.

"Practical" is the word adults generally use when they're making shit decisions. Which, okay, real life is difficult and all that stuff. But, you're in a fantasy world; Hero Up.

But nah, Sera's not annoying because of idealism. She's annoying because she's kind of spoiled and wants everything done her way. That's why I don't bring her along--I'm nervous she'll ignore my orders and
kill someone again
. Seriously glad I read that spoiler a month or so ago or *that* quest would've REALLY pissed me off.

Side Note: WOOOOOOOO!!!!! I slayed my first dragon! I think the only person more excited about that than me was Iron Bull.

How do I get the farmer to Skyhold? I completed all his quests in the Hinterlands and the minimap says the vendor icon is there but I'm getting nothing. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I didn't race any horses..?

How do I get the farmer to Skyhold? I completed all his quests in the Hinterlands and the minimap says the vendor icon is there but I'm getting nothing. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I didn't race any horses..?

You mean the horse master? Just go talk to him after you finish the wolves/towers.

So I am totally new to Dragon Age, this is my first of the games. The first few hours (like the first 5) weren't very interesting. I was doing my best to just progress the main quest line and leave those Hinterlands quickly, which I did. Just finished off the "In Hushed Whispers" quest and am really starting to enjoy the game. About 7 or 8 hours in. Taking a bit of time to absorb the world, things are becoming much more comprehensible. Just stopping for the day and am looking forward to more. To my understanding the game still is just opening up. It's such a Bioware game. As a huge fan of the Mass Effect games, all of the writing and world stuff is great.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just beat the game at around 70 hours. Overall, a very enjoyable experience if you are not an OCD perfectionist like me. Around 60 hours in I just said fuck it and decided to only focus on the companion and main story quest lines and started having much more fun. I'd say this game is a worthy successor to Origins but still did not surpass the original in overall design. Technical flaws and dumbed down mechanics like the AI and tactical camera keep this from being a truly amazing game.

I eagerly look forward to the expansions that are undoubtedly going to be release in the coming months.

Aurizen

I suck at crafting is their anyway I can get good weapons and armor for

Mage Inquisitor
Blackwall
Vivinne
Iron Bull (2h)

level 5-6

I thought my team of lvl 13-14 of cass, sera and cole is pretty good.... Until i went past that broken bridge that i repaired through war table. We got fuckin annihilated by endless waves walking corpses that explodes aftrr death. After 5 tries i just went straight for those 2 mages near the pit that you should burn and just ignored all the little pricks. finally succeded. My best team really is 2 warriors and 2 mages or a tank and 3 mages. its Too difficult with 1 tank and 3 soft characters.

I hate the loot ive been getting too as the game goes longer. None of them is worth a damn. My crafted stuff i had 3 levels ago are still better. Now im just googling where the best schematics are(sucks that most of them are at random drops).

I am seriously contemplating on just rushing through the main story missions with my 45 hour Rogue save and then starting over with a Qunari 2h Warrior because the Rogue Female Human class is boring me to tears.

There is just no skill involved when using tempest. Use Lightning flask and attack attack attack.

Top Bottom