• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

PerfectConsumer

Neo Member
I'd just like to point out that I installed the patch that caused issues for some people and wasn't affected by it so far. Take that as you will.

I have a 780, and it seems to hang for 2 seconds about once every hour or so, but the added party banter and loot on the minimap was worth the minor inconvenience.

This game has a lot of interesting characters. I want to switch them around but I love my party of Cass, Dorian, and Cole. Their bantering can be hilarious at times.

Also, god I hate Sera... she is so annoying...

Admodieus

Man, I've been playing the zones out of order. I've done Emerald Graves, Hissing Wastes, and Western Approach before Exalted Plains - have both that and Emprise left with all their dragons. Been on a dragon slaying spree lately, so much fun with my fully leveled Reaver specialization.

emag

Hate to lose all that progress, but eh. Is there an option to respec at all? Thinking maybe if I can at least change the abilities I have I might enjoy things more.

Tactician's Renewal. Buy it from the shop at the blacksmith (hanging saddlebags).

pixlexic

Banned
This game has a lot of interesting characters. I want to switch them around but I love my party of Cass, Dorian, and Cole. Their bantering can be hilarious at times.

Also, god I hate Sera... she is so annoying...

iron bull has the best banter. Like if you get him before you see the giant and dragon fighting on the storm cost he will say something like " Holy shit! thats awesome!"

iron bull has the best banter. Like if you get him before you see the giant and dragon fighting on the storm cost he will say something like " Holy shit! thats awesome!"

How does he interact with Cole? Because right now him and Dorian are my favorite two characters.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Finally kicked that insufferable bitch Vivienne out of my party and replaced her with Dorian.

I really wanted a knight enchanter in my party but damn I can not stand her.

jgwhiteus

Finally kicked that insufferable bitch Vivienne out of my party and replaced her with Dorian.

I really wanted a knight enchanter in my party but damn I can not stand her.

I didn't use her at all my first playthrough, but on my second I've been playing around with different parties to hear their banter and I've been pleasantly surprised by her. She and Sera have some pretty funny interactions - Sera is constantly trying to insult / unnerve her, and Vivienne purposely acts snobby and insults her right back (and reveals she actually has a sense of humor) - her bitchiness becomes funny rather than unpleasant.

Some characters just have a really good dynamic together, whereas other pairs are a bit more boring, or their antagonism isn't as amusing (I got tired of hearing Dorian / Blackwall sniping at each other). But I like that the game has given the companions enough personality with one another that I actually want to experiment and change things around, and am interested in hearing what they have to say.

Now if only the companion AI would be improved so I'd be comfortable including some different people in my party (I liked Iron Bull's banter, but I can't handle having to heal him all the time; I want to hear more from Varric but I feel like Sera outclasses him on equipment / damage as an archer, and I never tried Cole because melee / low defense for a companion just doesn't seem workable).

Hupsel

Finally going to start it, probably going as a dagger rogue. Is the class fun? I hear people saying mages are a blast too.

pixlexic

Banned
the coolest hting I have noticed about this game is it is very easy to get certain side quest and areas in one play through and get others in another play through.

Ricker

Going through all the stuff I can in the Western Approach now...man this game is great,great little dungeon in that area also...

What are the diamond like things around the lower right compass...?

jgwhiteus

Going through all the stuff I can in the Western Approach now...man this game is great,great little dungeon in that area also...

What are the diamond like things around the lower right compass...?

I think you're referring to the Focus Meter. It fills up as your party deals damage / does combo-attacks; once it fills up to level 1 (the diamonds will become a golden line) you can use a special Focus move, which you have to assign to your hotkeys. Each party member has an individual Focus meter, and their own Focus move depending on their specialization.

You can also upgrade the Focus meter to fill up to tier 2 or 3 with Inquisition perks; the move remains the same but is more powerful depending on how much the meter is filled up.

Grisby

So I'm getting back into the SP. Any way to have Solas become my bro again?

I've done a few of his artifact deals out in the world but damn, he has disapproved a lot of my decisions.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So I'm getting back into the SP. Any way to have Solas become my bro again?

I've done a few of his artifact deals out in the world but damn, he has disapproved a lot of my decisions.

Is there any way to tell that a companion is your friend? I had the achievement for three friends at once pop up, but outside of being obsequiously friendly to everyone, I have no idea where I stand (*misses the friendship meter*).

ryuken-d

A bit of advice:

If a cutscene hangs without a dialogue wheel, don't touch the game for about two minutes and the cutscene will progress.

that happened to me on the PS4 and I button mashed my way out. luckily I female elf didn't have to F Dorian. I have no idea what I ended up telling him.

also make sure you kill the flaming dragon (hinterlands) before you pass lvl15. no xp for enemies more than 3 lvl's below you. also the loot drops will be meaningless if your lvl is too high.

dralla

I wanna roll with two rogue archers, myself and Sera, but god damn I can't find a decent bow for Sera. I have her as a dagger build because of it, but she's too squishy, and dagger builds are kind of boring for me grrr

I went into the Hissing Wastes and was getting destroyed. Found a vendor that sold some nice armor schematics though, I could only afford one. Is it just me or is gold not that easy to come by? On one hand I like that, it's nice to not have so much money that it becomes useless, but I also wanna buy stuff!

Went to the Exalted Plains and having no trouble. Going into a new area for the new time is probably the best thing about this game. It's so easy to get lost exploring becaususe of the design of the worlds. Stumbling upon
the Elven graveyard
was awesome. And so many cool little caves and small hidden paths. Amazing.

Stuck at work :( Need to explore more..

Finally going to start it, probably going as a dagger rogue. Is the class fun? I hear people saying mages are a blast too.

I'm playing as a dagger Rogue and am enjoying it, I've never played as this type of class before so it's taken a while to get used to it but it is fun!

Tanolen

I wanna roll with two rogue archers, myself and Sera, but god damn I can't find a decent bow for Sera. I have her as a dagger build because of it, but she's too squishy, and dagger builds are kind of boring for me grrr

I went into the Hissing Wastes and was getting destroyed. Found a vendor that sold some nice armor schematics though, I could only afford one. Is it just me or is gold not that easy to come by? On one hand I like that, it's nice to not have so much money that it becomes useless, but I also wanna buy stuff!

Went to the Exalted Plains and having no trouble. Going into a new area for the new time is probably the best thing about this game. It's so easy to get lost exploring becaususe of the design of the worlds. Stumbling upon
the Elven graveyard
was awesome. And so many cool little caves and small hidden paths. Amazing.

Stuck at work :( Need to explore more..

Next to one of the camps in the hissing wastes is a dwarf tomb with the tier 3 bow schematic in it.

Neoweee

that happened to me on the PS4 and I button mashed my way out. luckily I female elf didn't have to F Dorian. I have no idea what I ended up telling him.

also make sure you kill the flaming dragon (hinterlands) before you pass lvl15. no xp for enemies more than 3 lvl's below you. also the loot drops will be meaningless if your lvl is too high.

There are some exceptions, and I think dragons are one of them.

Alfrays

Neo Member
just feeling to post this pic

124zo8g.jpg

It's from the beginning that my Cole is stuck in this way during the cutscenes.

it's the ps3 version obviously, never played a game so bugged before.

After 160 hours, i can say that it was a fun experience, interesting story(i'm a huge fan of the DA world), but it seemed that this was a different game from the prequels, too much Mass Effect 3-mmorpg style.Two steps forward and three backward. I give it from 7,5 to 8. If was not for the bugs, freeze, ecc, it was 8 for sure.

Edit: don't know why the pic doesn't work, oh well. It was funny and weird.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
So torn between romancing Cassandra or Dorian. At first, Dorian seemed like the only romantically close bond my inquisitor had but then Cassandra went full on after her personal quest and has revealed a whole new side to her.

Even harder is that they're so different to each other. I feel like most of what's pushing me towards Cassandra is that she's the better choice politically than a Tevinter mage but she's also gone through a lot more personally to get to this stage, whereas I imagine Dorian would have an easier time finding another.

Damn it BioWare...

danthefan

Forbidden Oasis, was a fucking rubbish zone. Infuriating to navigate through. Is there anything really good/worth collecting the shards? Because if not I'm just moving on.

squall211

Dumb question time:

Is this game supposed to be ridiculously long? I mean, I've put in maybe 13 hours so far, and I'm still in the Hinterlands, which is only the first of what, 10 or 11 areas of that size? Are most playthroughs taking upwards of 80 hours or so? I don't particularly mind, because I am really enjoying the game so far, but I am curious if I am just moving along much slower than most.

danthefan

Dumb question time:

Is this game supposed to be ridiculously long? I mean, I've put in maybe 13 hours so far, and I'm still in the Hinterlands, which is only the first of what, 10 or 11 areas of that size? Are most playthroughs taking upwards of 80 hours or so? I don't particularly mind, because I am really enjoying the game so far, but I am curious if I am just moving along much slower than most.

The Hinterlands is probably the biggest area. If you do a lot of the side content you can easily take 80 hours or more. It's a very large game.

Ushay

96 hours, and I still have half of Emerald Graves, Emprise and Hissing Wastes to go. 3 out of 10 dragons down so far. Yikes, this game has me hooked.

On a side note, does anyone know what the 'best' Mage Staff Schematic (and Armour too) would be and where I can get it?

LegendX48

On PS4 here, anyone else getting weird, random 1 second long game freezes when in Haven? This never happened before but since the patch its been popping up but only in Haven and its annoying.

JeffG

On PS4 here, anyone else getting weird, random 1 second long game freezes when in Haven? This never happened before but since the patch its been popping up but only in Haven and its annoying.

It happens on XBox One, and it has no patch. So it has been doing that since day one. Always happens when approaching the stairs by Varric and going from the Chantry to Solas

Lorcain

There needs to be a romance dialogue option for my dwarven warrior to tell Cassandra, "You mean the world to me...until Scout Harding becomes available."

I was rewarded for my dwarf's efforts to romance Cassandra with what could best be described as an incredibly awkward and weird moment of...meaty dwarf nakedness and glitched dialogue. The male American voice talent for that scene is hilariously creepy, especially the soft whispers. Gross.

On a positive note, it was less creepy than the romance scene between my dwarf warrior from Dragon Age 1 and Leliana. That was awful.

The plan is to politely part ways with Cassandra as soon as the Romance Harding DLC is released.

LegendX48

It happens on XBox One, and it has no patch. So it has been doing that since day one. Always happens when approaching the stairs by Varric and going from the Chantry to Solas

Yeah, the stairs is where one of them keeps happening for me now, I'll have to check the other. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Ralemont

not me
What is the skull and crossed swords logo all over the place? It's on the inquisition pole as well. What faction is it?

Grey Wardens I believe.

The plan is to politely part ways with Cassandra as soon as the Romance Harding DLC is released.

You know about the scene where Harding asks the dwarf Inquisitor out for a drink, right? They'd be crazy not to do a DLC with a bunch of Harding in it.

Top Bottom