• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

madmackem

iron bull has the best banter. Like if you get him before you see the giant and dragon fighting on the storm cost he will say something like " Holy shit! thats awesome!"

hahaha i just done all that, loled when he came out with exactly what i was thinking to myself. Adding him to your party is great he tears shit up, man i never got into either of the last two game and even though this genre isnt one i normally get into im into this game hard.

So I just got to Skyhold.

This is hand down the best game of 2014 already so far in my opinion. I'm playing on PC and the graphics are also incredible.

Writing, graphics, acting, combat, world design are all phenomenal in my opinion. The only game I've played this entire year that's almost a perfect 10 in my opinion. Not quite there, I would give it a 9.75 due to a few technical issues, but overall wow.

Incredible game Bioware

Begaria

Cool, moving on thanks.

Actually you can a nice permanent bonus to elemental resistances if you get the shards. To me, that makes it worth it.

Yup. The shards are actually keys to open doors in an elemental temple in the Forbidden Oasis. Every elemental area you clear in this temple adds a permanent +20% resistance to Ice/Electricity/Fire on your main character, nets you elemental crafting materials, and several elemental resistance belts. Getting through the Fire area and nabbing a Superb Fire resistance belt early on to give your main character an immediate +50% fire resistance is pretty dang good for a lot of fights.

It is but for some reason their banner is the skeleton with a helmet and sword thing.
Ah okay. I haven't played Inquisition yet.

I decided to play the first 2 games first. I just completed Origins and playing through Awakening now, then on to 2.

Origins was amazing. I am struggling to get into Awakening.

I really want to play Inquisition but I am slowly working my way there. I really enjoy the lore, especially the Chantry and the history of the Tevinter Empire, Andraste, Maferath's betrayal etc.

jgwhiteus

Yup. The shards are actually keys to open doors in an elemental temple in the Forbidden Oasis. Every elemental area you clear in this temple adds a permanent +20% resistance to Ice/Electricity/Fire on your main character, nets you elemental crafting materials, and several elemental resistance belts. Getting through the Fire area and nabbing a Superb Fire resistance belt early on to give your main character an immediate +50% fire resistance is pretty dang good for a lot of fights.

By the way, does anyone know how the resistances apply to your companions? I saw several "Resistance + 2 / +4" etc. messages when I opened the doors, which implied the resistance bonuses also go to your companions, but I wasn't sure if it was just the immediate party you take with you, or all of your companions whether they're present or not (and what about companions you haven't recruited yet?) - like, does it get applied retroactively?

danthefan

Nooooooooooooooooo :(

Think I'm going to find a map or a guide or something, I just cannot see how to reach some of the shards.

Dresden

The game is easy enough that you don't need the resistances, if you don't want to farm hundreds of shards (and turn your map into icon hell).

Rootbeer

Banned
questions...

1) enhanced rings. i've read the activation rate is really iffy on these, are they best to just get rid of? my inventory is starting to get crowded with them and if they are pretty useless for equipping then...

2) what is the best inquisitor specialized class, can you unlock all 3 and cherrypick from the trees?

danthefan

Question, I'm trying to raise approval with Iron Bull, if I make a decision at the end of one of the story missions does he actually have to be in my party to get the approval or not? Because tbh he's a bit useless the way I have him specced.

Nooooooooooooooooo :(

Think I'm going to find a map or a guide or something, I just cannot see how to reach some of the shards.

It can definitely be tricky at times to find some of those buggers.

Best advice I have is to ignore ones that you can't seem to get to and continue on to others. I usually find another path further along that lets me get to things. You do need to get good at using the jumping too, sometimes you just need to hop up really steep hills.

Also be aware that sometimes they'll be under or above the area you're currently looking. There was one I couldn't find FOR THE LIFE OF ME, but it ended up being on a cliff above me or in a cave below or something like that.

Cob32

About 20hours in here. Was expecting more in terms of exciting things to discover after seeing the time people had spent and seemingly enjoyed, but it's mostly filler content.

Everything else is top notch. I particularly love delving into the backgrounds of the various characters like other bio ware games.

Grisby

Is there any way to tell that a companion is your friend? I had the achievement for three friends at once pop up, but outside of being obsequiously friendly to everyone, I have no idea where I stand (*misses the friendship meter*).
Nope, that I know off.
On PS4 here, anyone else getting weird, random 1 second long game freezes when in Haven? This never happened before but since the patch its been popping up but only in Haven and its annoying.
Yeah, it happened before th patch for me. Stopped after uh, well you'll see.

Xeteh

my 10 dragon cheeves never unlocked...

nor did the collect all companions, because im sure i did that lol

For the dragons try reloading a save before you fought the last one and kill it again. It seems to fix it for some people.

I hope the patch fixes the issue I'm having with the Rift Mage quest. I want to specialize in that class, but the Vetanari Tomes aren't appearing anywhere. I've watched videos and looked at guides, but they just aren't anywhere to be found (or dropped form enemies). There's suppose to be a merchant that sells them, but they aren't there either.

If the patch doesn't work I'm hoping that continuing on with the story will fix it, or else I'm just going to grab another specialization.
About 20hours in here. Was expecting more in terms of exciting things to discover after seeing the time people had spent and seemingly enjoyed, but it's mostly filler content.

Everything else is top notch. I particularly love delving into the backgrounds of the various characters like other bio ware games.

The "open-world" parts don't really have much exciting happen (outside of stumbling across a dragon), but I've been VERY happy with the bigger story focused missions so far. I spent way too much time doing the open-world parts before starting on them (like 20-30 hours) and I really wish I had paced it better, which I'm definitely going to do from now on.

Twookie

is the pc version fixed? i heard it was bugged or that the new patch messed up the game or something. dunno if i wanna risk my gamesaves or whatever it messed up (to be honest i don't even know what the patch did)

is the pc version fixed? i heard it was bugged or that the new patch messed up the game or something. dunno if i wanna risk my gamesaves or whatever it messed up (to be honest i don't even know what the patch did)

The last patch messed up the shaders locking them to low setting. A Hotfix was already released by Bioware and the PC version is 100% safe to play.

ISee

Runs fine for me, but I also had no problems before. AFAIK they screwd up shader settings for some people yesterday. It was set to ultra for everybody, even if you chooce a lower setting ingame. They released a hotfix today to fix that.

Give it a go and enjoy the improved search option. Objects (like herbs, ores etc.) are now visible on your minimap when you ping/search the area.

edit:
aaaaand beaten

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I hope the patch fixes the issue I'm having with the Rift Mage quest. I want to specialize in that class, but the Vetanari Tomes aren't appearing anywhere. I've watched videos and looked at guides, but they just aren't anywhere to be found (or dropped form enemies). There's suppose to be a merchant that sells them, but they aren't there either.

If the patch doesn't work I'm hoping that continuing on with the story will fix it, or else I'm just going to grab another specialization.

The "open-world" parts don't really have much exciting happen (outside of stumbling across a dragon), but I've been VERY happy with the bigger story focused missions so far. I spent way too much time doing the open-world parts before starting on them (like 20-30 hours) and I really wish I had paced it better, which I'm definitely going to do from now on.

I've had tomes drop from mage enemies in the Western Approach - you need to approach the mages that are accompanied by templars - they are usually around small camps in the desert.

Astral

What's a good strategy against dragons? My party is Cassandra, Sera, and Dorian and they're constantly dying because of how stupid they are. I swear I can almost solo them but it takes too long and some of them bring out minions that overwhelm me. Cassandra dies because she almost never blocks, and the others die (though not nearly as often) because they get too close for whatever reason and stand in front of the dragon's face when it breaths fire/lightning/ice at them. The latter I can manage by using the tactical view to move them away I guess, but getting Cassandra to block is fucking hard. I'm the tank in the party so she doesn't get nearly as much guard as I do so that might be the problem.

I've had tomes drop from mage enemies in the Western Approach - you need to approach the mages that are accompanied by templars - they are usually around small camps in the desert.

Yeah, I killed my way through a ton of those guys and even took back Griffin Keep (which is where a merchant is suppose to sell them), but still nothing. I was wondering if one of the requisition quests might have messed it up, because those mages dropped a TON of some other item (forget what it was). It was like every dude had them, but I only needed two for the current requisition. I'm wondering if because that requisition was open at the time if it stopped me from getting the Venatori Tomes.

There's also a quest that seems bugged there that says to "investigate the venatori operation in the caves" or something similar. I've been to all the caves and killed all the guys (and spiders), but it didn't trigger any quest complete stuff and I didn't find any items to look at or anything that might trigger the quest to move forward or end.

steadfast

What's a good strategy against dragons? My party is Cassandra, Sera, and Dorian and they're constantly dying because of how stupid they are. I swear I can almost solo them but it takes too long and some of them bring out minions that overwhelm me. Cassandra dies because she almost never blocks, and the others die (though not nearly as often) because they get too close for whatever reason and stand in front of the dragon's face when it breaths fire/lightning/ice at them. The latter I can manage by using the tactical view to move them away I guess, but getting Cassandra to block is fucking hard. I'm the tank in the party so she doesn't get nearly as much guard as I do so that might be the problem.

Make sure you've bought all the resistance tonic recipes from the vendor in Val Royaux and equip the appropriate one for the dragon you're fighting. Cuts the damage significantly.

Astral

Make sure you've bought all the resistance tonic recipes from the vendor in Val Royaux and equip the appropriate one for the dragon you're fighting. Cuts the damage significantly.

Lol oh man. I forgot those existed. I never even upgrade my potions. Is all of it worth it?

Question, I'm trying to raise approval with Iron Bull, if I make a decision at the end of one of the story missions does he actually have to be in my party to get the approval or not? Because tbh he's a bit useless the way I have him specced.

I absolutely hate how there's no visible meter for friendship.

Arent they used for permanent stat boosts?

Resist boosts, which isn't nearly as useful or depending on your class, not useful at all. There's an amulet of power too so that's something, and a bunch of other items though I'm not too sure what cause I forgot to go back before I finished the game.

Finally defeats Hissing Wastes' dragon after 1 hour of insane battling.

*rubs hands to get rewards, finally some sickass mage armor*

"Robes of the High Seeker"

AWWW SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

*Elf only*

McNabb-Blank-Stare_GIF.gif

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just noticed the flashing lights on the mini map showing the loot, this would have been great from the start for all the bright areas in the game, that was one of my main gripes with the game. Great addition.

Literally the best QoL addition ever.... it was one of my biggest gripes in my first 100 hours :p (missed so many things, so annoying!).

Megasoum

Banned
Which dragon is the second lowest level after Hinterlands?

I only killed that one and I'm level 18 now so I kinda want to get on with the dragon killing.

Cleared out The Fallow Mire last night and moved onto the Storm Coast. The immersion was heightened by playing it against the backdrop of the storm that moved into the area (I'm in San Francisco) last night. Good times.

Also the first time I was poking around the shore of the Storm Coast and got bumrushed by a dragonling, I yelped. This game is great.

Top Bottom