• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

The game is currently leading in GameSpot's GOTY award vote.
BQIgv81.jpg
http://www.gamespot.com/game-of-the-year/

Just finished the game after 97 hours, it's my GOTY

The last mission and dialogue surrounding it fell pretty flat, but it doesn't detract much from what is an excellent game. The post credits sequence was shocking enough to almost make up for it...

Bravo BioWare, can't wait to see what you do with the next Mass Effect

Which dragon is the second lowest level after Hinterlands?

I only killed that one and I'm level 18 now so I kinda want to get on with the dragon killing.

Should be able to take out the dragon in Westland Aproach and Exalted Plains just fine, you could probably take out the one in Emerald Graves as well.

leng jai

Pretty weak year for GOTY really. Dragon Age will be the likely winner for most sites - the graphics/art and game design is exactly the type that is "GOTY material" regardless of the flaws it has.

Hollycat

I was wondering why the game had suddenly gotten so hard and every enemy was walloping me good. I accidentally equipped a shield with berserk -_-

AegisScott

Neo Member
Anyone else wish you had to "Tap A" or something to get past a load screen? Sometimes I'm reading some cool codex/lore bit on load and then it finished before I'm done. The only game I wish had LONGER load times!

best part is when you zip zoom zopadee bop all over the battlefield with fade step.
Yes its so awesome! I mean yeah its op but it takes a while to get there and I'd rather have that then always dying in two hits from archers, and you can still get knocked down from bigger enemies.

sora87

So, the In Your Heart Shall Burn mission...
is there supposed to be like 40 enemies guarding the trebuchet you're meant to turn? I literally do not stand a chance against that many and with only 8 potions.

is there supposed to be like 40 enemies guarding the trebuchet you're meant to turn? I literally do not stand a chance against that many and with only 8 potions.
You have to deal with the enemies as they spawn, otherwise you'll be overwhelmed. Their spawn is determined by your progress in cranking the trebuchet.

Kenaras

I was wondering why the game had suddenly gotten so hard and every enemy was walloping me good. I accidentally equipped a shield with berserk -_-

Hah, I gave one of those to Blackwall once. Wasn't an accident, I just wanted to see if the Berserk ability was as terrible as it sounded.
(It is.)

Wulfram

IIRC there should be a supply chest nearby that'll help, particularly if you can hold out on using it for as long as possible.

I do think that's about the toughest fight in the main quest at least, so don't feel too bad about it being a struggle

So the game's been out for a while but I still haven't heard how to unlock all the exotic mounts, or even what they are. I know about the
nugalopes
but what about the rest?

Would it be wrong of me to make sera a dagger wielding rogue?

She's the first character I've added and it's like...I already maxed out my dwarfs bow tree..

But I like to stick to canon..

Suggestions?

tcrunch

Hmm, I made it to when the Captain spawns but there's like 20 others there with him, just too much :(

You can keep your rogue's Stealth ability on manual and limp away whenever your party wipes. If you move far enough off everyone will auto-rezz and you can run back and throw them at the mobs again. Provided your tank immediately taunts and puts guard up, they'll actually last a little while and may down 1-2 more guys before you have to leave again.

Sometimes you can also pull enemies somewhat away from the trebuchet and fight them there, or pull enough of them away that you can safely return to cranking. The first time I did the mission I didn't even kill the boss.

Hmm, I made it to when the Captain spawns but there's like 20 others there with him, just too much :(

I struggled a bit with this too....
but you don't have to kill the Captain.

If you can manage to get your party to fend him off for long enough so that you can focus solely on the trebuchet, then once it's fully-cranked it triggers the cut scene! There was no way I was going to be able to take that guy out.....

Mind you, I did have to reload several times to get to the captain with as many healing potions as possible

Megasoum

Banned
There's one in Redcliffe, but you need the Deft Hands perk to unlock it. Also found a purple shield with the property but that comes much later.

Oh thanks, I totally forgot to go back to Redcliff after I got the perk... Now I just need a good item to craft to use it on.

KingV

You can run away to get other supply chests as well. that's how I beat it.

tcrunch

DAI not even in the top 10 best-selling games of the month. :(

Is it worth playing awakening and 2 before this?

Awakening is an expansion for the first game (Origins). The first one is worth playing, the second one is probably worth it at the prices you can get it now (I got it for $10).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Still outselling Origins and DA2 in terms of physical box sales week on week at the same respective times... and they ended up both selling bucket loads.

Thinking Xmas will see a big boost with all the GOTY nominations/wins and digital sales will be (at least on PC) massive.

Lucid07

Awakening is an expansion for the first game (Origins). The first one is worth playing, the second one is probably worth it at the prices you can get it now (I got it for $10).

Yeah I've just re-installed Origins on PS3 and was browsing the free DLC for it when I saw awakening, so I was just wondering whether it was vital like Origins and 2 are.

Feichaw

Still outselling Origins and DA2 in terms of physical box sales week on week at the same respective times... and they ended up both selling bucket loads.

Thinking Xmas will see a big boost with all the GOTY nominations/wins and digital sales will be (at least on PC) massive.

Very good if this is true. I was starting to get worried. I know the game is doing well on PC, but I'm surprised it's outpacing even Origins.

jgwhiteus

You shouldn't have to deal with more than 5-10 enemies at a time. It's actually not too tough a fight if you keep two things in mind:
1. STOP TURNING THE WHEEL: after you've turned it a bit, there'll be a brief pause where it doesn't respond - that means you've finished a "phase". If you start turning it again right away, you're going to generate more enemies, even if you haven't killed off the ones you just spawned.

Instead, take a break and kill off everyone, and then you'll have time to loot, heal up, etc. Then you can start turning the wheel again, at which point more enemies will appear.

Before, I just kept turning the wheel hoping to finish things faster, but that just resulted in a situation where literally 20+ enemies were surrounding me and slaughtering me. After I realized there were intermediate stopping points, it became much more manageable.

EDIT: and when the captain appears, focus on all the other enemies first, one by one (and use the "attack my target" command, etc.) until only the captain is left; there's no use wasting attacks on him before you get him alone. He's much more manageable when you don't have anyone else to deal with.

2. Take advantage of the nearby supply cache when your potions fall near 0, and as another poster above mentioned, you can also take advantage of other supply caches in Haven if you haven't used them up yet. There's no penalty for running away from the area.

Ushay

Just finished the game after 97 hours, it's my GOTY

The last mission and dialogue surrounding it fell pretty flat, but it doesn't detract much from what is an excellent game. The post credits sequence was shocking enough to almost make up for it...

Bravo BioWare, can't wait to see what you do with the next Mass Effect

Im eagerly awaiting the expansion pack even though I havent completed the game yet.

Lakitu

st5fu

Not that I don't believe you, I really want it to be true but is there a source for this?

sora87

Ok thanks guys, managed to get past it.
Just kited half the enemies away and killed them in the middle of town, then the boss tried to follow so I caught him by himself and took him out, then just mopped up the remaining enemies.
Probably did it totally wrong but oh well, it's late :B

tcrunch

Yeah I've just re-installed Origins on PS3 and was browsing the free DLC for it when I saw awakening, so I was just wondering whether it was vital like Origins and 2 are.

It doesn't really connect with DAI's plot in any way that I can think of (Awakening/DAI spoilers: I wish
the Architect was an alt villain for DAI if you didn't kill him
), but it provides some background for Anders in DA2.

It also has a neat story and is a very beefy add-on.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Not that I don't believe you, I really want it to be true but is there a source for this?

Sure is, but it's a source that's banned on here... so I'll not post that up.

According to that site's figures though, it's outperforming Origins (which sold far better than DA2) week on week, but it does have the advantage of being on more platforms.

I'm thinking Digital sales will account for quite a big chunk of DA:I's sales compared to Origins, as it was a simpler time back in ol' 2009, when digital sales were not as massive/accepted as they are now.

I'm sure EA will hit us with some sales figures after Xmas - they'll want that Jan/Feb to sell well for the game, and mentioning numbers in the millions will no doubt sound solid.

One thing to consider, it was released near the end of November, is that top 10 sales figures for the whole of November? (the aforementioned top 10 that is).

Nocturn

Neo Member
They're not doing an expansion pack. I think they mentioned something about high cost and a lackluster response to Awakening.

Is there an article somewhere I can read about this? I was hoping for a meaty expansion like Awakening :( Pls Bioware.

Edit: Regarding the the final events of the game starting with
Doom Upon All the World
Will I still be able to complete companion quests afterwards? My Sola's companion quest has been bugged since release and still bugged after patch 2+Hotfix. I guess I Can create a save point prior to this finale just in case.

Top Bottom