• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

That'd be great to have a black emporium type face changer, have me not have to restart all the time because of my ocd of colors having to be right lol. I know some people hate how op KE is but man its so fun to be able to actually move around and not worry about archers.

MartyStu

Jesus, the amount of Solas Approval I am leaking right now is absurd.

I think I need to come to terms with it.

I love him and Vivienne, but I wish they weren't such large twats.

Yoda

They're not doing an expansion pack. I think they mentioned something about high cost and a lackluster response to Awakening.

Well Awakening was mid-development when EA bought Bioware. It was rushed out the door as a consequence. I think the mindset @ EA realizes that there is a finite limit on how much you can chop of a game and have the brand name (Bioware/Dragon Age) makle up for w/e lost sales said loss in quality would incur. If the game doesn't get sizeable DLC I think it would be due to a small install-base as opposed to them using the paradigm of awakening.

Grisby

Cassandra's personal quest was pretty neat. I also think I knew who was supposed to be on the cover.

When do we bang? I'm just getting into Crestwood.

Ralemont

not me

On a related note, I thought it was a nice touch that you get approval from Solas every time you ask a question or want to know more about something. Fit perfectly with his personality and you never get reactivity from Investigate options in BioWare games elsewhere.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Well Awakening was mid-development when EA bought Bioware. It was rushed out the door as a consequence. I think the mindset @ EA realizes that there is a finite limit on how much you can chop of a game and have the brand name (Bioware/Dragon Age) makle up for w/e lost sales said loss in quality would incur. If the game doesn't get sizeable DLC I think it would be due to a small install-base as opposed to them using the paradigm of awakening.

I posted upthread that I was wrong about the Awakening thing.

Apparently it is just an issue of cost.

There isn't going to be another expansion like Awakening though, sadly. Darrah said that it was "far too much work, and very expensive, as everything has to interact with the original game."
http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-i...i-280921.phtml

TI82

Banned
Just started. Here's my character, dalish rogue.

lIc5hXO.jpg

MartyStu

On a related note, I thought it was a nice touch that you get approval from Solas every time you ask a question or want to know more about something. Fit perfectly with his personality and you never get reactivity from Investigate options in BioWare games elsewhere.

Yeah, it is to pre-empt all of the "Solas Greatly Disproves."

Loke13

Just finished the mage quest and holy shit Dorian is sex on a stick immediately discounted him as a romance option because of that stupid mustache but listening to his voice and seeing his personality hnnnng. I'm playing as a male elf mage and was going to originally romance Cassandra but fuck that now.

Neoweee

The Exalted Plains and Storm Coast dragons would be so much easier if the AI wasn't brain dead and would actually move instead of just standing in lightning and getting killed.

That isn't a terrain hazard. That literally is an aura of electric death that is on your heroes.

I'm really impressed with the companion writing and quests. Blackwall's quest in particular is really cool. I also love how fleshed out Cassandra becomes, I think she might be my favorite character. Her personality becomes so well developed, I love it.

Dresden

Wrapped up Hissing Wastes and it's okay. Big desolate area, just ignored all the rifts and the collection bullshit and plundered the tombs. Also banter fired like crazy while I was running around, there might be something there.

Dmax3901

Have to say, I've been more tempted to romance the male companions in this than any of the female ones. I'm a straight male and intended my character (Qunari male) to be straight too.

Weird.

EDIT: Possibly an indication that the male characters are written better? Or that the romances in general are written better, so I'm more interested in what feels like a natural relationship progression (as in a tv show or film) as opposed to just getting that nude cutscene.

Almighty

Well after shitting on this game for years I have to say I think I might of been wrong. I will reserve final judgement until I beat the game(which will probably be a while), but I am impressed with what I played so far. It is already much better then the shit mountain that was Dragon Age 2.

I would be an elf if you could customize your body, but since you can't, I don't want a weird scrawny dude. I want to import a Keep file, but it's so boring to click through all these options.

TI82

Banned
I would be an elf if you could customize your body, but since you can't, I don't want a weird scrawny dude. I want to import a Keep file, but it's so boring to click through all these options.
I think that's how nearly all fantasy elves are. Can't really think of any that aren't

Baliis

That isn't a terrain hazard. That literally is an aura of electric death that is on your heroes.

Yea, but my two melee will clump up when it's up and kill each other. I can move them manually, but it would be nice if the AI was smart enough to spread out or move out of stuff on the ground. The Exalted plains one is terrain though right? He electrocutes the water unless I'm remembering it wrong.

Inquisition elves are freakishly skinny. I miss the Origin elves. Especially city elves.

I prefer Inquisition elves to both Origins and (especially) DA2 elves. Origins elves were literally humans with pointy ears, while DA2 elves were... uh...

Anyway, I like that Inquisition makes them more distinct from humans without making them look like freaks of nature. Nice middle ground.

Xevren

Yea, but my two melee will clump up when it's up and kill each other. I can move them manually, but it would be nice if the AI was smart enough to spread out or move out of stuff on the ground. The Exalted plains one is terrain though right? He electrocutes the water unless I'm remembering it wrong.

Yea you're right. You can still dispel or spell purge the electrical circles though.

Where can I learn more about the HUD where your players avatar and health are during battle and what all the colours mean? There's no digital manual.

tcrunch

In the Arbor Wilds, Solas got SUPER pissed at (What Pride Has Wrought spoilers)
Morrigan and called her something like "a hog looking for a feast" in regards to the Well of Sorrows, and told me not to let her use it. I asked him if he would use it and he said NO DO NOT ASK ME AGAIN. At that point I'm the only mage left, so I choose to use it.

oM2YeVQ.jpg

Strongly recommend his romance though.

So, I'm already considering a second playthrough.

Played through the first time as an elf and I was pleasantly surprised by how much of an impact it made in conversations

Contemplating making a Qunari but I'm wondering if that also has a big impact on how conversations play out. Anyone that has played or is playing as a Qunari have any insight on how much it changes things?

Apoptomon

Just beat the game after ~128 hrs. I still have half the mosaics, a bunch of shards, most of the dragons, and the Hissing Wastes left to do though. Not sure if worth it. I never got to do Solas' personal quest (I guess he disapproved too much, he did that a lot, though his fetch quest might've bugged also).

Where can I learn more about the HUD where your players avatar and health are during battle and what all the colours mean? There's no digital manual.
There's some pdf files here. Basically though, green= health you do have, red = health you don't have, yellow ring is stamina, blue ring is mana. Blue bar on the health bar is Barrier, a mage skill that gives a layer of 'armor' that must be cut through first. It depletes over time though. Grey blocks are Guard, granted by warrior skills or armor effects. It works like Barrier but doesn't deplete over time.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Male Elf looks *dashing* in Rogue equipment but my God they look so ugly with the Inquisitor pajamas. They-look-so-ugly.

Just beat the game after ~128 hrs. I still have half the mosaics, a bunch of shards, most of the dragons, and the Hissing Wastes left to do though. Not sure if worth it. I never got to do Solas' personal quest (I guess he disapproved too much, he did that a lot, though his fetch quest might've bugged also).

His 2nd quest is known to be buggy if you approach it a certain way, and MANY, and I do mean MANY people failed to even trigger his 3rd quest, most probably due to bugs.

I'm at the storm's coast Morris's outlook and there's a rift there. I'm a level 4 warrior and they're all level 8 shade and I'm getting my arse kicked. Should I just don't bother with this until I'm more powerful and should my main character disrupt the rift while fighting? ( or they will always spawn more)

I'm at the storm's coast Morris's outlook and there's a rift there. I'm a level 4 warrior and they're all level 8 shade and I'm getting my arse kicked. Should I just don't bother with this until I'm more powerful and should my main character disrupt the rift while fighting? ( or they will always spawn more)

Dispel helps with getting rid of spawns if you cast it on top of a spawn point.

But lvl 4 is just too tough i think. Not enough skills to swing fights in your favor.

tcrunch

Contemplating making a Qunari but I'm wondering if that also has a big impact on how conversations play out. Anyone that has played or is playing as a Qunari have any insight on how much it changes things?

It makes it really weird when a bunch of Andraste-worshipping humies think you're divine. But a lot of people definitely acknowledge it at least in passing, if not in plot (i.e. you're not actually prevented from doing anything by being qunari, you can still get 100 approval at the Winter Palace, etc.). But you do get called oxman at least a couple times. You're also much taller than everyone else and look pretty impressive in cutscenes.

TIB convos have a lot of nice extra touches and lines too.

Bear in mind that you play a Tal'Vashoth(sp) rather than a follower of the Qun, so you can't go around enlightening people as to the proper philosophy or anything, but you can play a hardcore Qun wannabe mostly thanks to TIB's convos.

You will spend a lot of time in chicken armor (armor of the dragon) unless you gather a lot of mats and schematics, and the face paints can be quite horrifying, like, in a bad way.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok thanks. Would it be best to defeat the enemies then go after the rift?

That's... the whole idea isn't it? Hahaha.

Your scenario seems survivable, since I too have managed to seal Rifts twice my level (level 12 enemies vs. my lv. 6 party) but it's largely depending on your setup. What party are you using? A mage with Dispel and Barrier is a must regardless, however (well the latter moreso than the former, although Dispel will *really* help)

Jtrizzy

Which mage specialization is best? I don't know how to decide. I have all of the stuff for rift but I'm seeing everyone say knight enchanter is awesome.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Which mage specialization is best? I don't know how to decide. I have all of the stuff for rift but I'm seeing everyone say knight enchanter is awesome.

Knight Enchanter is so strong you can literally go solo on a Dragon without fear of dying. However, it is a one trick, boring pony. A game-breaking, one trick, boring pony.

Rift Mage is a *pure* spell-slinging Mage, not as durable as Knight Enchanter (to be fair, nothing is), and it's flashy, more fun for many people. It's the best way for AOE damage, and coupled with stuff like Fire Mine, it is *divine*

Necromancer is, in my opinion, trash. Don't bother with it.

FYI you can get all the necessary ingredients for KE from just 1 visit to Fallow Mire. There are certain spots with guaranteed Wisp enemies dropping the drops you required. It's a rather tough area but shouldn't be too difficult.

It makes it really weird when a bunch of Andraste-worshipping humies think you're divine. But a lot of people definitely acknowledge it at least in passing, if not in plot (i.e. you're not actually prevented from doing anything by being qunari, you can still get 100 approval at the Winter Palace, etc.). But you do get called oxman at least a couple times. You're also much taller than everyone else and look pretty impressive in cutscenes.

TIB convos have a lot of nice extra touches and lines too.

Bear in mind that you play a Tal'Vashoth(sp) rather than a follower of the Qun, so you can't go around enlightening people as to the proper philosophy or anything, but you can play a hardcore Qun wannabe mostly thanks to TIB's convos.

You will spend a lot of time in chicken armor (armor of the dragon) unless you gather a lot of mats and schematics, and the face paints can be quite horrifying, like, in a bad way.

That actually sounds...pretty hilarious lol. I may have to give that a shot now. Thanks for the info.

Knight Enchanter straight up breaks the game. In most encounters you won't take a single point of health damage.

Only used Necromancer with Dorian but it seemed pretty mediocre. No clue on Rift Mage though, I rarely used Solas but looking at the abilities it did seem pretty interesting.

Top Bottom