• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Feichaw

Sure is, but it's a source that's banned on here... so I'll not post that up.

Oh, it's Chartz, right? Keep in mind that they probably "overtracked" it, since the game is in their November Top 10. They are totally unreliable, and are banned here for a reason.

I hope the game sold at least one million units worldwide in November.

Felspawn

I'm really hating the Hissing Wastes right now. So. Much. Walking.

HorseRear_WM.jpg

SRTtoZ

Still outselling Origins and DA2 in terms of physical box sales week on week at the same respective times... and they ended up both selling bucket loads.

Thinking Xmas will see a big boost with all the GOTY nominations/wins and digital sales will be (at least on PC) massive.

Really hope this is true because I expected it to chart highly in the NDP's. I'm sad because this is my favorite game of 2014 so far :/

Awakening was half-baked anyways, so if that's the best they can do it's probably for the best.

I still want moar DAI.
I thought it was executed well but totally discarded any sense of closure you got from the real ending. All for a storyline that ultimately amounted to nothing. Fortunately there's a lot more room at the end of Inquisition to build onto the story.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

That was awesome... and actually the most positive Zero Punctuation review I can remember from Yahtzee (he must have really liked it... no kidding).

I can't remember the last time he made 2 specific stops to reiterate how much he liked a game... mindblowing.

Oh, it's Chartz, right? Keep in mind that they probably "overtracked" it, since the game is in their November Top 10. They are totally unreliable, and are banned here for a reason.

I hope the game sold at least one million units worldwide in November.

I'm sure it sold much more than that when Digital is counted as well: I'm not worried about it, with Xmas/GOTY wins and extremely positive word of mouth, it'll sell well ongoing.

Ridesh

Banned
I wonder if word-of-mouth will do it for Dragon Age.

What's the chance of it winning GOTY here in GAF? I would say that it's between DA and Bayonetta 2.

Is there an article somewhere I can read about this? I was hoping for a meaty expansion like Awakening :( Pls Bioware.

Edit: Regarding the the final events of the game starting with
Doom Upon All the World
Will I still be able to complete companion quests afterwards? My Sola's companion quest has been bugged since release and still bugged after patch 2+Hotfix. I guess I Can create a save point prior to this finale just in case.

No companion quests after that, game is over. Doesn't take long either if you've done a lot of side quests, I finished that in about 10-15 minutes

Qaloon

i've never played any installation in the dragon age series (i know!), but i did play and adore the mass effect series and thought skyrim was a pretty dope game.

should i pick this game up? the comments about how long some of you are in the game are tempting...

I thought it was executed well but totally discarded any sense of closure you got from the real ending. All for a storyline that ultimately amounted to nothing. Fortunately there's a lot more room at the end of Inquisition to build onto the story.

Dragon Age: Origins really wasn't designed for post-game DLC. The expansion was kneecapped from the get-go.

DAI's structure allows for a lot more... potential in regards to additions, both pre- and (probably) post-game.

Feichaw

i've never played any installation in the dragon age series (i know!), but i did play and adore the mass effect series and thought skyrim was a pretty dope game.

should i pick this game up? the comments about how long some of you are in the game are tempting...

If you love good stories, amazing characters, exploration and are a good person, then yes, you should buy it :)

LX_Theo

Banned
That was awesome... and actually the most positive Zero Punctuation review I can remember from Yahtzee (he must have really liked it... no kidding).

I can't remember the last time he made 2 specific stops to reiterate how much he liked a game... mindblowing.

He said it was his favorite Dragon Age, and he seemed pretty positive (for him) on both the first two games if I remember correctly.

Melchior

Finally finished this game after 53 hours. I ended up not even entering 1 zone
Emprise du Lion
and barely exploring another. Great game. I was wondering if there is a way to skip operation times on PC. Trying to get the masterwork archon staff and these operation times are killing me.

LX_Theo

Banned
Useless horse
mmo-esque game structure
Combat isn't all that amazing

I fail to see how he's wrong.. I mean he even prefaces that he enjoys the game despite it.

What? He said the enemy encounters were more MMO-esque, nothing else. He also only commented on the combat in that he didn't use the tactical camera.

Ashodin

Finally finished this game after 53 hours. I ended up not even entering 1 zone
Emprise du Lion
and barely exploring another. Great game. I was wondering if there is a way to skip operation times on PC. Trying to get the masterwork archon staff and these operation times are killing me.

Set your clock ahead

Hystzen

So am I only person who loves Hissing wastes because it actually feels like a desert level and lives upto it's name ....wastes

Future waifu Harding (better be DLC bioware) tells you the place is empty and only reason things of interest popped up is due to vints digging up tombs. So before Vints turned up it was just sand you know like how desert should be. I get bored or just eye roll when a RPG enters the desert level and it over straight away as it is full of shit everywhere going against the point of a desert.

The long walk helps with building this idea of a empty waste untouched for years until recently and you only seeing the surface of what been unburied. Also it probably most banter heavy area I had with Dorian, Blackwall and Bull not shutting up while walking.

Some areas like Emprise or Emerald Graves are pretty and smaller yeah but they pushed in to much as too much shit is close together and why I prefer Hissing layout you have time to breathe when moving instead being assaulted by a new quest or loot to pick up or group of enemies to kill

Megasoum

Banned
I'm at the "no turning back" point... Anything specific I need to do that I won't be able to do in the post story world? The warning is kinda weird.

tcrunch

So am I only person who loves Hissing wastes because it actually feels like a desert level and lives upto it's name ....wastes

I never even opened the Hissing Wastes and like 2 or 3 other places my first playthrough so I'm eager to get there and see what all the fuss is about.

DAI expansion pack would be awesome. Would like to see the fade champion or whatever specialization return with 10 levels of content.

Recommend this to as much friends as you can. Really want to see another dragon age, especially after this one.

Also nightmare makes this game way more fun.

JoeBoy101

Future waifu Harding (better be DLC bioware) tells you the place is empty and only reason things of interest popped up is due to vints digging up tombs. So before Vints turned up it was just sand you know like how desert should be. I get bored or just eye roll when a RPG enters the desert level and it over straight away as it is full of shit everywhere going against the point of a desert.

The long walk helps with building this idea of a empty waste untouched for years until recently and you only seeing the surface of what been unburied. Also it probably most banter heavy area I had with Dorian, Blackwall and Bull not shutting up while walking.

Some areas like Emprise or Emerald Graves are pretty and smaller yeah but they pushed in to much as too much shit is close together and why I prefer Hissing layout you have time to breathe when moving instead being assaulted by a new quest or loot to pick up or group of enemies to kill

This post is win.

So I've kinda just started this game, Bioware sucks ass at inventory systems, nothing as bad as Mass Effect 1 was though.

Is there a way to tell what to sell and not to sell from the valuables section? Cant stand this kind of stuff. Just let me carry everything damnit!

So I've kinda just started this game, Bioware sucks ass at inventory systems, nothing as bad as Mass Effect 1 was though.

Is there a way to tell what to sell and not to sell from the valuables section? Cant stand this kind of stuff. Just let me carry everything damnit!

Not that I know of, it's kind of dumb the research stuff is in the valuables section. You can move items to the valuable section though, there is a button that does it in the inventory. After awhile I just stopped looting normal quality items.

Not that I know of, it's kind of dumb the research stuff is in the valuables section. You can move items to the valuable section though, there is a button that does it in the inventory. After awhile I just stopped looting normal quality items.

Ugh, damn thats disappointing. Is there at least a place where you can store stuff for later?

Other than the inventory and the Codex text hurting my eyes after awhile, the game is great.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Link?

They said this about DA2 due to bad sales. I highly doubt DAI is going to be in the same boat.

lol, what? No. One, if Awakening response was a key factor, why were they planning a DA2 expansion pack? Two, source?

From an interview with Executive Producer Mark Darrah.

There isn't going to be another expansion like Awakening though, sadly. Darrah said that it was "far too much work, and very expensive, as everything has to interact with the original game."

http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-...e-inquisition-from-dragon-age-ii-280921.phtml

After searching for a while I'm not sure where I got the second part. Maybe I was confused with Exalted March getting canned. Sorry.

emag

If you liked both ME and Skyrim, this game should be right up your alley.

I'm at the "no turning back" point... Anything specific I need to do that I won't be able to do in the post story world? The warning is kinda weird.

You can't do some of the Cullen's
Samson
quest after the "point of no return" (which really isn't) or
at least one character's
personal quest after the actual end of the game.

Ugh, damn thats disappointing. Is there at least a place where you can store stuff for later?

There's nothing worth holding on to, really. Even if you are somehow severely underleveled for the areas you visit, there's only half a dozen pieces of useful level-locked loot in the entire game. Crafting supplies don't count against your item limit and that's what you'll use to create the best equipment later on.

If you really want to hold onto more stuff, there are two Inquisition Influence perks you can pick up to increase your capacity.

I completely agree. I prefer it to the Western Approach.

LX_Theo

Banned

If it has a tooltip, don't sell it. Otherwise, its fine.

Finally finished the game at 121 hours of playtime.

Inquisition is really something special. It's easily my runaway GOTY and I'm not sure I could have asked for more. BioWare created such a fantastic game that truly exceeded my every expectation.

Suppose I'll start my Nightmare playthrough in the coming days. Who knows, maybe I'll dump another 100 hours into it.

Xeteh

What should I do with red bag symbol items in valuable?
One of which is the Gold Horn.

Pretty sure they're just unique valuables... Too Many Breeches have the same symbol... though Sad Splinters do too I believe and they're used to make that Sad Weapon.

Einbroch

Banned
Just beat it. Platinum get.

Great, great game. Play time was 89 hours, all said and done. Ending was a little confusing, but hey, all good. Haven't put this many hours into a game since Skyrim.

Sera 4 lyf.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
This game is literally destroying my free time. I still haven't opened Smash and can't stop exploring... clocking 90 hours now

I eventually just started selling it all, other than research items. As far as I can tell, it's a distinction without a difference.

Pretty sure they're just unique valuables... Too Many Breeches have the same symbol... though Sad Splinters do too I believe and they're used to make that Sad Weapon.

I see. Guess I'll ditch them out then. :/

Anyway, news from twitter:
"We are looking into a Black Emporium face changer like DA2 for DAI"

Agreed. Deserts and tundras in games that are packed with content are a pet peeve of mine. Dragonblight in WoW is a good example, it's supposed to be a barren tundra but there is a quest mob or doodad or someshit every five feet. I can understand trying to squeeze as much scenario and quest content into the space you have but that ultimately leads to "Rollercoaster syndrome". Making the game world feel like an actual place is far more important to me and it's one of the chief reasons I love this game so much.

Baliis

The Exalted Plains and Storm Coast dragons would be so much easier if the AI wasn't brain dead and would actually move instead of just standing in lightning and getting killed.

Alright, so I have played for this game for 2 hours now. Previously, I have only played Dragon Age 1 for an hour or so. So far, I am not really feeling the game. Does the combat get better? The framerate seems to drop during 'cut scenes' and the character animation does not seem that great. I am wondering if I should try and get rid of the game before it drops in value. I don't see what makes the game so great, but maybe it is because I don't care much for the story (which doesn't see very good, so far).

Top Bottom