• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Knight Enchanter is so strong you can literally go solo on a Dragon without fear of dying. However, it is a one trick, boring pony. A game-breaking, one trick, boring pony.

Rift Mage is a *pure* spell-slinging Mage, not as durable as Knight Enchanter (to be fair, nothing is), and it's flashy, more fun for many people. It's the best way for AOE damage, and coupled with stuff like Fire Mine, it is *divine*

Necromancer is, in my opinion, trash. Don't bother with it.

FYI you can get all the necessary ingredients for KE from just 1 visit to Fallow Mire. There are certain spots with guaranteed Wisp enemies dropping the drops you required. It's a rather tough area but shouldn't be too difficult.

This is so correct. I really wish I didn't make the necromancer decision. It just sounded like a lot of fun. It is, however not very good. At least in comparison to the other choices. Wish there was a way to go back and switch!

Yeah. :( I was hoping for...something it really turned out not to be.

I really think they should have named it something different. DA just doesn't have the lore backing to support a more traditional "hordes of skeletons" necromancer, so it's kinda misleading. Giving it a name that emphasizes it's more of a debuff/DoT thing would probably have been better. Entropist, maybe?

(Horror is pretty freaking great, though).

This is so correct. I really wish I didn't make the necromancer decision. It just sounded like a lot of fun. It is, however not very good. At least in comparison to the other choices. Wish there was a way to go back and switch!

Yeah, BioWare really should have handled it better. Either allowing the Inquisitor to change their specialization or at least be able to preview the skill tree and see what they're getting into.

Being locked into one of the specializations while essentially being blind to what they offer just seems like a bit of an oversight. I had my heart set on Knight Enchanter before the game even launched so I got lucky in that regard.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah. :( I was hoping for...something it really turned out not to be.

Yup. Rift Mages are the masters at group encounters and weakening effects: they can *literally* fire spells *non-stop* with the right setup, not worrying about mana.

Knight Enchanter... well, any class that can solo a Dragon is just silly.

Necromancer? Horror is underwhelming, and it *scatters* the enemies, making awesome stuff like Fire Mine harder to connect, and the passives are lame too. The copying enemy spell? Chances are, by the time you have a copy of an enemy working for you, you'll be done or almost done fighting anyways.

I really think they should have named it something different. DA just doesn't have the lore backing to support a more traditional "hordes of skeletons" necromancer, so it's kinda misleading. Giving it a name that emphasizes it's more of a debuff/DoT thing would probably have been better. Entropist, maybe?

(Horror is pretty freaking great, though).

I disagree, but that's maybe because I am a pretty huge fire mine fanboy, hahaha.

It's an amusing specialization, at the very least. Not very effective, but amusing.

MattyG

Banned
Could someone help me out? I need someone to either link me to a good way to recap what I've played so far without spoiling the rest of the game by accident, or to just do a quick recap for me. I took a 2 week break from the game due to school, and I've forgotten some of the finer details of the last couple quests.

I'm on "Here lies the abyss", and I
just did the part where you beat the the gray wardens in the western pass. Why are the gray wardens on Corypheus' side again? Why did they turn on Hawke's warden friend? And at this point in the story, what is the Inquisition's main goal? Are we just trying to figure out what's going on with the wardens so maybe we can recruit them to fight Corypheus?

Necromancer? Horror is underwhelming, and it *scatters* the enemies, making awesome stuff like Fire Mine harder to connect, and the passives are lame too. The copying enemy spell? Chances are, by the time you have a copy of an enemy working for you, you'll be done or almost done fighting anyways.

That's why I never invest on it for my Dorian. It's the only real necromancy skill but is useless. What a bummer.

Yeah, BioWare really should have handled it better. Either allowing the Inquisitor to change their specialization or at least be able to preview the skill tree and see what they're getting into.

Being locked into one of the specializations while essentially being blind to what they offer just seems like a bit of an oversight. I had my heart set on Knight Enchanter before the game even launched so I got lucky in that regard.

Uh you can check all the trees on your companions/play with them for a bit. I do agree you should be able to change it, just because I'm more of a "FF jobs system" person but if you don't check the companions before you spec even though it says you can never change, that's kinda on you.

Necro is alright, though I guess it's probably better for the AI than to play yourself, as there's not much fun stuff to do. You have 2 targetted dots and a ground targetted fear that does garbage damage, so it's kinda lacking in fun stuff to do other than normal mage stuff. I liked having Dorian though, Walking Bomb is really good, it does solid aoe damage and tends to stagger everything constantly especially when mobs all gets packed on the warrior, then they just chain reaction explode into each other and keep knocking each other down in the process.

Rift Mage has the pull thing to position yourself for maximum effect as well as the combos out of it and KE is well, KE, so both are fun to play, but yeah necro might be kinda boring. Maybe if your pets followed you or if you could have permanent pets with abilities based on the mob you control, that kind of stuff.

Jtrizzy

Knight Enchanter is so strong you can literally go solo on a Dragon without fear of dying. However, it is a one trick, boring pony. A game-breaking, one trick, boring pony.

Rift Mage is a *pure* spell-slinging Mage, not as durable as Knight Enchanter (to be fair, nothing is), and it's flashy, more fun for many people. It's the best way for AOE damage, and coupled with stuff like Fire Mine, it is *divine*

FYI you can get all the necessary ingredients for KE from just 1 visit to Fallow Mire. There are certain spots with guaranteed Wisp enemies dropping the drops you required. It's a rather tough area but shouldn't be too difficult.

Cool think I'll go rift. Another question thought. Why does the energy barrage shoot Fire if it's a storm ability? Tied to my staff or a bug or what?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Could someone help me out? I need someone to either link me to a good way to recap what I've played so far without spoiling the rest of the game by accident, or to just do a quick recap for me. I took a 2 week break from the game due to school, and I've forgotten some of the finer details of the last couple quests.

I'm on "Here lies the abyss", and I
just did the part where you beat the the gray wardens in the western pass. Why are the gray wardens on Corypheus' side again? Why did they turn on Hawke's warden friend? And at this point in the story, what is the Inquisition's main goal? Are we just trying to figure out what's going on with the wardens so maybe we can recruit them to fight Corypheus?

The Grey Warden is manipulated to the Corypheus' side because they are promised for a way to end the Blight--frankly, it's a bunch of nonsense. They turned to Hawke's Warden friend because he objected too loudly to the decision taken by the Warden Commander.

The main goal for the Inquisition is to investigate why the Wardens are missing and how it might connect to Corypheus. It doesn't strike me as an attempt to get Grey Warden to join the Inquisition, no, but more of a "Hey, Corypheus is doing this so let's spoil it!" kind of thing.

Frankly, the whole Grey Warden scenario is weak and a bunch of nonsense to me. And the forced drama in the end... that's an eye-rolling territory for me, personally.

That's why I never invest on it for my Dorian. It's the only real necromancy skill but is useless. What a bummer.

Yeah, it's largely useless. And with barriers and potions and stuff, the regenerating health stuff with enemies corpse or whatever is also disappointing. I don't think it is even noticeable.

I respecced Dorian towards the Lightning Trees and he performs much, much better.

Cool think I'll go rift. Another question thought. Why does the energy barrage shoot Fire if it's a storm ability? Tied to my staff or a bug or what?

Yeap, it's depending on the element of your staff :) If you take the upgrade, it will lower the enemy's resistance to the element you're striking them with (not really worth it IMO but up to you)

If you go Rift, might I suggest Fire Mine? The Void spell synergize so well with Fire Mine--it's a match made in heaven, hahaha.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I really hope they nerf KE just a little before my Nightmare run, I really want to roll it for my Elf Mage... but I don't want to break the game at the same time....

Rift Mage on Hard is a blast, still the odd hard-ish encounter, really looking forward to a Nightmare challenge though!

MattyG

Banned
I was going to go knight-enchanter, but after reading some of the posts above I think I'll go rift mage instead. Sounds more fun.

The Grey Warden is manipulated to the Corypheus' side because they are promised for a way to end the Blight--frankly, it's a bunch of nonsense. They turned to Hawke's Warden friend because he objected too loudly to the decision taken by the Warden Commander.

The main goal for the Inquisition is to investigate why the Wardens are missing and how it might connect to Corypheus. It doesn't strike me as an attempt to get Grey Warden to join the Inquisition, no, but more of a "Hey, Corypheus is doing this so let's spoil it!" kind of thing.

Frankly, the whole Grey Warden scenario is weak and a bunch of nonsense to me. And the forced drama in the end... that's an eye-rolling territory for me, personally.
Ah, ok. That's a lot simpler than I thought actually, and I'm sure once I get a couple quests in a lot more details will get me caught up too. Thanks!

Uh you can check all the trees on your companions/play with them for a bit. I do agree you should be able to change it, just because I'm more of a "FF jobs system" person but if you don't check the companions before you spec even though it says you can never change, that's kinda on you.

Do they unlock after you do the war table mission? I didn't notice the companions had their specializations until after I picked Knight Enchanter because I already knew what I was going for.

Regardless, it still would have been cool to see the skill tree through talking with the NPC.

Xeteh

Knight Enchanter... well, any class that can solo a Dragon is just silly.

I did this earlier today on my Champion, granted it was much lower level than I was so I'll have to try something higher later but I had no issue. It was on Nightmare and thanks to "To the Death" it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I really hope they nerf KE just a little before my Nightmare run, I really want to roll it for my Elf Mage... but I don't want to break the game at the same time....

Rift Mage on Hard is a blast, still the odd hard-ish encounter, really looking forward to a Nightmare challenge though!

They did nerf it on the last patch. But it *still* can solo a Dragon no problem, hahaha.

Do they unlock after you do the war table mission? I didn't notice the companions had their specializations until after I picked Knight Enchanter because I already knew what I was going for.

Regardless, it still would have been cool to see the skill tree through talking with the NPC.

The only requirement for companions unlocking specializations is unlocking Skyhold *and* you're taking them to a field. They can even unlock specializations while on level 8 or 9, unlike your Inquisitor who must reach level 10 first.

I did this earlier today on my Champion, granted it was much lower level than I was so I'll have to try something higher later but I had no issue. It was on Nightmare and thanks to "To the Death" it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Yeah, Champion can do it as well. Not as effective or "safe" as KE, but it's doable.

I was pretty meh on it as well, until I found it it worked on Pride demons. Made clearing Adamant a *lot* easier.

Hooo....? Didn't realize that.

Still, not worth it, hahaha.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I've only played like 3 hours so far, but this game seems awesome so far.

Went with a warrior with sword and shield, odd for me because I always go make or archer. We will see how it goes.

Really looking forward to digging into this after I get back from vacation.

Also, game is beautiful. More so than expected.

Jtrizzy

Yeah, it's largely useless. And with barriers and potions and stuff, the regenerating health stuff with enemies corpse or whatever is also disappointing. I don't think it is even noticeable.

I respecced Dorian towards the Lightning Trees and he performs much, much better.

Yeap, it's depending on the element of your staff :) If you take the upgrade, it will lower the enemy's resistance to the element you're striking them with (not really worth it IMO but up to you)

If you go Rift, might I suggest Fire Mine? The Void spell synergize so well with Fire Mine--it's a match made in heaven, hahaha.

Pardon my ignorance but which spell are you referring to by void? I haven't really figured out combos yet tbh.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pardon my ignorance but which spell are you referring to by void? I haven't really figured out combos yet tbh.

Sorry, I meant Pull of the Abyss. The most bottom of the Rift Mage skill tree.

Hm, I wonder why I remembered it as Void-Void something, hahaha.

It and Fire Mine is just too awesome :)

wolfhowwl

Banned

As Laughing Banana said, Pull of the Abyss. It pulls mobs in like a black hole leaving them sitting ducks for a fire mine or other attacks.

Nice name.
Waifu Trevelyan.

I use that hair for
fem Hawke
and I love it. I'm pretty sure I'll be using that hair for my next playthrough.

You know I don't even know why I called her waifu lol. I think the hair looks great with white, I was afraid it would make her look old but was the only color that never bothered me.

crmetteer

Just got my platinum trophy. Took exactly 90 hours. I completely cleared out the first few zones, but eventually I got kinda bored, so I finished the story, dropped it down to easy, and finished the remaining requirements for the platinum.

Phear

So, i unlocked specializations. Any good builds for AI-controlled Blackwall and Dorian floating around? Found enough for Vivienne and skilled my assassin archer to my liking, but couldn't find anything for these two. People say, AI controlled Necromancer is the sh*t, so should i go full necro + barrier for Dorian? What about Blackwall? Am Level 12, so 12 points to spend for now. There's so many options for tanks that feel legit when player-controlled, but which are good for AI?

Damerman

Here is my Inquisitor since I seen other people posting theirs. Nothing special I guess lol.
Grey warden armor is probably may favorite armor design of all time.

Havent been posting on this forum in the past few days cuz ive been playing what is likely to be my favorite game of all time
this behemoth of a game

valkyre

OK I have played the game for about 100 hours now and I love it.

It is my GOTY 2014 without question.

With that said though, in my humble opinion, the potion thing is just utter bullshit.

Seriously I detest it. The least the developers could do is provide health regeneration when you are out of combat.

The amount of times I stopped in a dungeon to go back to a camp and refill my potions is too high...

It seriously cripples the flow of gameplay. I am playing the game on hard and I love a challenge, but seriously dont make me go back and forth just to have a means to heal myself... dont make me reload a checkpoint and do the battles again just because one battle didnt go good enough and I spent 5 potions on it, effectively crippling my progress for the rest of the dungeon...

Yes I know I can micromanage everything every 5 seconds, but honestly I hate that kind of gameplay via tactical view.

They could atleast give a damn healing spell and give it a 30 mins cooldown or some way to just avoid this whole back and forth thing.

Love the game. Hate the potion idea.

You know I don't even know why I called her waifu lol. I think the hair looks great with white, I was afraid it would make her look old but was the only color that never bothered me.

Actually, I'm gonna go with black. The bluish black. Too bad there isn't much color choice for the hair as well.

OK I have played the game for about 100 hours now and I love it.

It is my GOTY 2014 without question.

With that said though, in my humble opinion, the potion thing is just utter bullshit.

Seriously I detest it. The least the developers could do is provide health regeneration when you are out of combat.

The amount of times I stopped in a dungeon to go back to a camp and refill my potions is too high...

It seriously cripples the flow of gameplay. I am playing the game on hard and I love a challenge, but seriously dont make me go back and forth just to have a means to heal myself... dont make me reload a checkpoint and do the battles again just because one battle didnt go good enough and I spent 5 potions on it, effectively crippling my progress for the rest of the dungeon...

Yes I know I can micromanage everything every 5 seconds, but honestly I hate that kind of gameplay via tactical view.

They could atleast give a damn healing spell and give it a 30 mins cooldown or some way to just avoid this whole back and forth thing.

Love the game. Hate the potion idea.

I'm also on hard, but I hardly find potion to be an issue. Do you use your second potion slot? You can put regeneration potion there. Moreover, in most (if not all) dungeons there are potion refill box available. Heal all party member beforehand and refill the potion. I never have to go back to camp from a dungeon, ever.

TI82

Banned
Pretty fun game with some flaws but eh.

Just saw the game tip about color coding relating to how difficult enemies will be. No wonder I was having struggles, everyone I'm fighting is yellow! Seems really slow to level in this game.

gogosox82

Is anyone else getting a message telling them to play mp to get a chest in game? I don't remember seeing this yesterday so it must be new. Regardless, I find stuff like this highly annoying. Its not nearly as bad as DA:O with the guy selling you the dlc but its really annoying to have that stupid message on my screen . Hoping its a one day thing and it goes away tomorrow.

valkyre

Actually, I'm gonna go with black. The bluish black. Too bad there isn't much color choice for the hair as well.

I'm also on hard, but I hardly find potion to be an issue. Do you use your second potion slot? You can put regeneration potion there. Moreover, in most (if not all) dungeons there are potion refill box available. Heal all party member beforehand and refill the potion. I never have to go back to camp from a dungeon, ever.

The only refill stations I found are near a boss fight. I am on latest high lvl side quests. It wasnt a problem before but lately it has become quite a hassle.

Havent tried the regeneration potions though. Good thought. Need to upgrade them first though. In any case I dont like this system, it could have been much better and without hindering gameplay balance.

Is anyone else getting a message telling them to play mp to get a chest in game? I don't remember seeing this yesterday so it must be new. Regardless, I find stuff like this highly annoying. Its not nearly as bad as DA:O with the guy selling you the dlc but its really annoying to have that stupid message on my screen . Hoping its a one day thing and it goes away tomorrow.

Yeah, minor in the grand scheme of things but really tacky and annoying.
mzNtbK3.jpg

Its just so in your face compared to the nice, minimalist main menu and then they just dump a big MP ad right in your face. Surely there had to be a better way to advertise this if they wanted to?

I saw it at first and was thinking they were offering a real storage chest for single player and was almost tempted to try the MP.

The only refill stations I found are near a boss fight. I am on latest high lvl side quests. It wasnt a problem before but lately it has become quite a hassle.

Havent tried the regeneration potions though. Good thought. Need to upgrade them first though. In any case I dont like this system, it could have been much better and without hindering gameplay balance.

I usually use regeneration potion as priority. When someone has 1/4 hp or so I pause my game and use regen potion. That way, I'll minimize the use of the default potions. I save them for hard battles or when in a pinch. I also set my party behavior to drink potions at 20% health.

Anyone tried Varric with daggers? I'm rolling with Cole right now and he absolutely destroys with the daggers I crafted but his banter is just too creepy/weird for me.

jesu

I went Necromancer, respecced, and then on my first trip out I realized it was shit.
Made a save before I chose though.Will go back and try Rift Mage.

Garland7G

Just finished the game, after the credits I can only assume
Solas is gonna be the villain in the next game
?

Easily the best game of 2014 imo.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I saw it at first and was thinking they were offering a real storage chest for single player and was almost tempted to try the MP.

Don't worry our friends at EA and BioWare are hard at work on a DLC to help you out there. The price will be quite fair I assure you.

Most of the perks seemed worthless so I ended up just going for the expanded inventory ones.

Don't worry our friends at EA and BioWare are hard at work on a DLC to help you out there. The price will be quite fair I assure you.

I remember with Origins on PC, a BioWare dev made his own storage chest mod shortly after launch and just released it for free to the PC community. Those were the days.

valkyre

Isnt Knight Enchanter nerfed with the latest patch? I am seriously thinking to make a nightmare playthrough after I finish my hard one, and use his OP build to plow through the game... but I thought they nerfed it.

Guys, I have done all the operations table missions and no sign of the Tier 3 Staff Schematics.

I also did the Iron Bull personal quest and the subquests available after that. I
let Iron's men die.

And no sign of the damn schematics.

elhav

So I've only played like 3 hours so far, but this game seems awesome so far.

Went with a warrior with sword and shield, odd for me because I always go make or archer. We will see how it goes.

Really looking forward to digging into this after I get back from vacation.

Also, game is beautiful. More so than expected.
The first few hours are probably the hardest to get into, and the least interesting imo, so if you enjoyed them you're gonna LOVE the rest of it. So many areas to explore you won't believe it.

What I liked most about it is the fact there is so much lore and that there is voice acting for everything. It's really amazing how they managed to cram so much content and it's in such high quality.

Imo it stumps Skyrim, as the characters are actually relatable and their dynamic dialog, depending on who you take with you to each mission, is really good.

If you've liked the first game in the series you should enjoy this one immensely.

jgwhiteus

Doing my second playthrough, and I wanted to guarantee I'd get Dorian's sidequest line this time around since it's bugged and I missed it last time. I actually had to reload and experiment with different courses of action to get it to trigger properly, since (for me at least) it required having conversations with him at certain points and exiting / transitioning the area. But after a few tries I finally got it to happen, so now I can proceed with my playthrough in peace... frustrating that it should take that much trial and error, though.

Pointers for anyone who wants to get his companion quest and has reached the end of Act I. There are other ways to get it to trigger, since some people got it to happen without jumping through these hoops, but this worked for me:
1. You probably need some approval from him to trigger the quest - you can get some when you're named Inquisitor and holding the sword by choosing a dialogue option saying you'll lead to defeat Corypheus (Dorian greatly approves), or from some conversation choices when you speak to him in Skyhold's library the first time.

2. Speak to him in the library when you first reach Skyhold to have a cutscene conversation about Tevinter and Corypheus. After that, exit the area and return (e.g. you can talk to Solas so that you wake up in your bed, or go to another map) so that Skyhold transitions to being under construction. Then, go talk to Dorian again, and there should be a cutscene conversation about Felix. That signifies you've triggered the quest; after that conversation Mother Giselle appears in the main hall to deliver a message.

3. The important point: try to trigger the conversation about Felix BEFORE you talk to "Varric's friend" on the battlements, because that seemed to prevent the cutscene from occurring for me; though it's definitely possible to trigger Dorian's sidequest later (possibly much later) in the game - on another playthrough I got the conversation to trigger after I'd cleared a few areas, but I couldn't figure out the steps to reproduce it.
FYI, there's an extended thread about this issue on EA's forums here:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/Starting-Dorian-s-Companion-Quest/td-p/4042086

In experimenting I noticed a lot of other bugs where NPCs / companions were missing from where they were supposed to be, but if you saved / reloaded they'd magically be standing where they should have been all along... kind of frustrating to deal with, and I hope something that gets smoothed out in future patches.

Welp, just lost a bunch of good loot (including an Amulet of Power for Cole) thanks to a minor bug. Doing the Chateau in the Graves and I got stuck in combat somehow. My inventory was full and it wouldn't let me access it to delete stuff or save. Exiting and re-entering fixed my combat state but all the dropped loot despawned. :(

Isnt Knight Enchanter nerfed with the latest patch? I am seriously thinking to make a nightmare playthrough after I finish my hard one, and use his OP build to plow through the game... but I thought they nerfed it.

The only thing they did was remove the combo trigger from Spirit Blade. Knight Enchanter is broken because of it's nearly unlimited barrier generation and insane mana regen, which remain untouched after the patch.

valkyre

The only thing they did was remove the combo trigger from Spirit Blade. Knight Enchanter is broken because of it's nearly unlimited barrier generation and insane mana regen, which remain untouched after the patch.

I see , so as it is now, my thinking of rolling a KE for my second playthrough to plow through the game in nightmare difficulty is reasonable? It does make it easier?

vareon

Just beat the Crestwood Dragon. As a Knight Enchanter. In normal. At level 14. So lol? Still enjoying the game anyway XD

Top Bottom