• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Proc

I haven't been this engaged with a console game since dark souls 2. It has even pulled me away from WoW. This is one hell of an rpg. I just chose my specialization and I'm already over 20 hours in. Gripping story, fun enough combat, great characters, and tons to do. It's a single player rpg that marvels the scope and variety of recent mmo leveling content. If they can do something similar with the next mass effect game, I think bioware will be one of the best devs of this generation.

It's been running very well on ps4 and I advise anyone on the fence to pick this game up!

Sanctuary

People are hating on Necromancer mage spec? Hmm. I get Knight Enchanters are godlike and Rift mages are fun (I've got Solas as a Rift Mage), but Necromancers have some fun tricks up their sleeves to and work really well when paired with a Rift mage. Walking Bomb is decent DoT and its chain explosion works wonders for rifts and grouped up enemies (suck them in with that Pull of the Abyss, walking bomb, KABOOM!).

Also, you haven't seen beauty until you Spirit Marked a giant and take it into a fight against a High Dragon. Remember that giant vs dragon fight in the Storm Coast? Yeah. I actually did that in the Emerald Graves. There are two giants close to the High Dragon there. I attacked one, tamed it, and it joined in the fight against that dragon. So good. Haste + Firestorm + Giant made short work of that dragon, heh.

I've been trying to run Dorian exclusively with my MC Rift Mage, and the few times you see a chain explosion from Walking Bomb don't outweigh the times he's dead. The dot isn't really that much "DPS" either if you have a bunch of other spells and the mana regen to successfully chain cast them (Rift Mage) since Walking Bomb can only be applied to one target and you have to wait for the full duration/explosion to get the most out of it. In fact, I'd say double Rift Mage is easily the most control/damage combo. Spirit Mark does shit for damage, and the charm ability does nothing on dragon fights. The one you listed is pretty much the only instance of that happening too. For non dragon boss fights with lots of adds it's situationally "okay" but a second Pull of the Abyss would work much, much better. The main reason I bring him though is for the Necro haste. A level 3 Haste allows you to get a dragon down to less than half health before it can even do anything to you (Nightmare). Plus, Solas is a very dull character both in looks and banter (unless you bring Cole).

Knight Enchanters might be "God Mode", but boy are they boring as hell, and to make the most of your barrier generation, you're basically spamming Immolate and Spirit Blade ad nauseum.

I got the grey wardens wiped out on a war table mission.

Got a great axe out of it though, no regrets.

That's crazy that I didn't know you could have that much of an effect on those missions with who you choose. I remember one of them where you could side with one of two quarreling noble-people, but didn't know other ones could be effected so strongly.

Thankfully I do read them and try to choose who I think would be best, but I also just pick the fastest completion time a lot too, haha.

Gvaz

Banned
What is solas' personal quest?
What is sera's personal quest?

I don't know if I already did them or not, but her card didnt change after that guy she killed (the knife flop one)

tcrunch

What is solas' personal quest?
What is sera's personal quest?

The quest I got for Solas involves finding a friend of his in Exalted Plains. His approval also rises when you touch those elven rift-sealer devices in various areas, but the quest isn't tracked so it's hard to figure out how to complete it.
Sera I have only gotten the knife flop and a lot of war table crap.

Gvaz

Banned
The quest I got for Solas involves finding a friend of his in Exalted Plains. His approval also rises when you touch those elven rift-sealer devices in various areas, but the quest isn't tracked so it's hard to figure out how to complete it.

Okay so I don't think I'm missing anything then.

Had been rolling a Dorian, Iron Bull, Sera party for their outlandish characters and comments, but they were having trouble with the hinterlands dragon. I changed to Cass, Solas and Vivienne and we barely used any health potions to take him down. Heh.

JeffG

Did you do the prank run with Sera?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
All of the Dragon Age books have pretty well done. The first two especially (the stolen throne and the Calling) as they can be read with zero knowledge of the game. All they add is flavor to the lore without needing any coming into them. The Masked Empire isnt quite as good if only because they couldn't really resolve the story, as the storyline plays out in DA:I. but thats not much of a con if you played the game and can appreciate the added background. Might make switch sides in the in game quest

okay then so if I want to read 1 book best tied into DA:I, is that Masked Empire?
It seems a couple people mention that one too.

Less interest in ones tied into Origin or DA2 (Not that I didn't also enjoy those games, I'm just not in the thick of it now like DAI).

But I'm really interested in it, ya know, actually being a good book.
I don't just want to be a lore whore.

FHIZ

I got the grey wardens wiped out on a war table mission.

Got a great axe out of it though, no regrets.

Man, I should probably start reading everything again. 40 hours in and a billion codex and text boxes later, I kinda tuned them all out.

Ricker

Sera is the Red Jenny stuff...I didnt know you couldnt romance Vivienne...anyway,took a while but I finally got the starting stuff for romancing Cassandra.

Felspawn

okay then so if I want to read 1 book best tied into DA:I, is that Masked Empire?
It seems a couple people mention that one too.

Less interest in ones tied into Origin or DA2 (Not that I didn't also enjoy those games, I'm just not in the thick of it now like DAI).

But I'm really interested in it, ya know, actually being a good book.
I don't just want to be a lore whore.

Yeah Masked Empire is definately the one that ties into Inquisition the most.

The Calling and The Stolen throne arent tied together with either Dragon Age game, (they take place well before origins, telling the story of King Maric and Logain fighting the Orlesions.) I would recommend them as they are a fun read regardless.

Grisby

Honestly is the Dragon Age Asunder novel any good?
Or just your standard fluff piece?

I have to admit I'm pretty knee deep in the game world right now and if it's well written, I'm tempted to pick it up.

I haven't read a game novelization in like ten years... Some Resident Evil book haha.
I'm lttp on this comment but the DA books are way better than Re's. Hell, I was supposed at how some of the book's events are feeding into DAI.

Worth reading.

That's crazy that I didn't know you could have that much of an effect on those missions with who you choose. I remember one of them where you could side with one of two quarreling noble-people, but didn't know other ones could be effected so strongly.

Thankfully I do read them and try to choose who I think would be best, but I also just pick the fastest completion time a lot too, haha.

Yeah, at first I was choosing who would do it faster. When I realised you could actually affect the outcome, I started picking who I thought could best deal with the situation.

Anything involving nobles is pretty much Josie's job.

Xevren

Finished up my nightmare run and got the platinum. Man I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time, just love it.

Gvaz

Banned
You have to do some pranks with her before her card changes.

I think i fucked that up then because i did the walking through the street thing and told her to stop that dumb shit.

I figured it out for sera at the end of the game though:

She is not an idiot, but her personality/wisdom is that of a child.

Spoilers for endgame:
Oh you walked into some weird shit, lets pull an arrow on you because i heard demons don't like being threatened and you might be a demon because you walked into a well of fucking magic shit. Good point: no one really questioned me except. Bad point: you're wrong and I'm still me.

She just doesn't fucking know anything about leading or ruling, if anything she's like the joker from batman. She does things because she grew up on the street and only has that one perspective of nobles shitting on everyone, and doesn't know any other perspective and is unwilling to learn, like a teenager who thinks they know everything. it's infuriating.

kd-z

It's always beside or near the corresponding companion they don't actually have it themselves. If it's not there you may have picked it up earlier and not realized it, try crafting the requisition item and see if it lets you. As for Rashvine there's a ton of it in certain zones but I forget which. I also think an NPC sells it either in VR or Skyhold.
Oh, this sounds great! Thanks for the tips :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wish there was a way to keep your Inquisitor template (for looks) and use it to begin the game fresh again. =/

Gvaz

Banned
Load a save before you killed the last dragon and kill it again.

My last dragon kill was too far away. I think it was because i was finishing the game offline so I wouldn't get the bugged patch.

As soon as I went online i got a shitton of cheeves

Nuke Soda

Having a lot of fun with this game. Just completed the mission In Your Heart Shall Burn. Hopefully I still have a lot of game ahead of me, which I have heard I do.

Fou-Lu

Trying to complete In Your Heart Shall Burn, aiming the trebuchet is impossible. There's not enough potions in the world for this.

Anyone else's Archdemon mosaic bugged? I found all the pieces, completed the collection quest, all that but there is still a piece missing from it in Skyhold. It's an extremely minor bug but it annoys the hell out of me every time I run by it.

Trying to complete In Your Heart Shall Burn, aiming the trebuchet is impossible. There's not enough potions in the world for this.

Easily the hardest mission in the game. Even on my second playthrough I died three times. There's more than enough supply crates to restock within Haven, but just barely. If you used too many then you may have fought your way into an unwinnable scenario and have to restart. One of those quests where having multiple saves comes in handy.

Dresden

Just crank it four turns at a time. Remember you can retreat back to other parts of Haven to recover if your party is about to go down. And for the last few turns when the boss shows up, you don't have to defeat him/her.

Fou-Lu

Easily the hardest mission in the game. Even on my second playthrough I died three times. There's more than enough supply crates to restock within Haven, but just barely. If you used too many then you may have fought your way into an unwinnable scenario and have to restart. One of those quests where having multiple saves comes in handy.

Just crank it four turns at a time. Remember you can retreat back to other parts of Haven to recover if your party is about to go down. And for the last few turns when the boss shows up, you don't have to defeat him/her.

Enemies glitched out and stopped attacking me, so I just turned for the win. Kind of sad, but glad to have that over with.

Meowster

Picked up the game an hour ago, am excited to return to this world. Won't be able to play until I'm off work. Any tips for a player who hasn't played since Origins?

tcrunch

Picked up the game an hour ago, am excited to return to this world. Won't be able to play until I'm off work. Any tips for a player who hasn't played since Origins?

Get through the main storyline to the point where you reach Skyhold (you will know it when you get there) asap so you can have all the companions to choose from. You don't have to do every silly sidequest the game throws at you. I recommend closing Rifts and finding camps in Hinterlands and Storm Coast to get enough xp and power (power is a currency for opening new areas to explore) for the main quest. Don't spend power on the Mire till later when you have a bigger selection of areas to choose from, but you need Storm Coast open to get one of your companions.

dralla

Is it worth it to put spend your inquisition points on the rare schematics perk that Cullen offers? Are those schematics any good? Will you find better ones out in the world?

Yes you can save your clan, depending who you pick. Reading about that in particular is what made me stop and go, "Wait, what?" Sadly I was already at the end of the game.
Can you re read your outcomes at war tables? I was so sleepy last night I think I skipped my outcomes on some.

Xevren

Is it worth it to put spend your inquisition points on the rare schematics perk that Cullen offers? Are those schematics any good? Will you find better ones out in the world?

They're just tier 2 schematics and really not that good in the grand scheme of things.

I got done getting skyhold, and now I got the two inquisitor missions. I did a couple of companion quests and can't finish some, but I got to lvl 13 should I go on and finish the two story quests? I don't know how far into the story I am, its mostly my ocd.

Top Bottom