• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Fbh

So I read somewere that valuables become, well, valuable later on. As in they are needed for certain things.

Is it true?

Because ever since reading that I've been afraid of selling them but I'm getting annoyed about them taking up like 80% of my inventory.

If it's true... is there a list somewhere of valuable that are actually usefull? (so I can sell the rest)

Thx

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not really sure how the specializations work, but can you change them for party members? Or is someone like Dorian just stuck doing necromancer?

Goddamn, Emprise du Lion is gorgeous. The snow, the lighting, the atmosphere, the trees, the ice, the red lyrium against the snowy terrain...

Ok so after waiting just over 30 hours for DA:I to fully download and install from PSN I have finally made it passed the loading screen without the game crashing.

Now a new problem has arisen, it won't let me load any of my saved data because the deluxe edition items haven't downloaded. So I go to the dragon age page and there is no way I can find download the items so I can carry on playing. The only option I have when on the PSN store page on the deluxe edition is to start the game and that's it.

Anyone have any suggestion for how I can fix this or do I have to delete it all again and download and install from scratch again.

So I read somewere that valuables become, well, valuable later on. As in they are needed for certain things.

Is it true?

Because ever since reading that I've been afraid of selling them but I'm getting annoyed about them taking up like 80% of my inventory.

If it's true... is there a list somewhere of valuable that are actually usefull? (so I can sell the rest)

Thx
Research items are theoretically useful. Turn them in at the research table before selling all and you'll be golden.

There are also also some valuables used for requisitions (which give power) and thus have some value. I wouldn't bother saving them, however.

Beyond that I haven't seen anything.

Goddamn, Emprise du Lion is gorgeous. The snow, the lighting, the atmosphere, the trees, the ice, the red lyrium against the snowy terrain...

And pretty linear/focused and not loaded with a billion fetch quests too. It would have been perfect if it had a few cutscenes to engage me more.

Fuck the banter bug, I'm not playing this game until it's fixed. Tried almost everything (couldn't be bothered to do that save/autosave/load/delete save "fix", nor that fast travel from the Skyhold since I didn't get to Skyhold), including reinstalling the game, starting a new game after 20+ hours with my first character, mounting/unmounting, fast traveling, resting at camps, changing audio modes, checking everything in the inventory/codex/journal all the time, and nothing helped in the long run (got maybe couple of banters here and there, and then just silence for the most part).

Aargh :(

Xeteh

Fuck the banter bug, I'm not playing this game until it's fixed. Tried almost everything (couldn't be bothered to do that save/autosave/load/delete save "fix", nor that fast travel from the Skyhold since I didn't get to Skyhold), including reinstalling the game, starting a new game after 20+ hours with my first character, mounting/unmounting, fast traveling, resting at camps, changing audio modes, checking everything in the inventory/codex/journal all the time, and nothing helped in the long run (got maybe couple of banters here and there, and then just silence for the most part).

Aargh :(

Its weird. Bioware said that there was no bug but I played through two full playthroughs and had barely any banter. I started a new one last night and banter has been firing like crazy. Either they changed something or I'm just getting lucky but its a nice change of pace. I youtubed a lot of the banter between companions I used and I had missed so much, I'm hearing so much more of it now.

Its weird. Bioware said that there was no bug but I played through two full playthroughs and had barely any banter. I started a new one last night and banter has been firing like crazy. Either they changed something or I'm just getting lucky but its a nice change of pace. I youtubed a lot of the banter between companions I used and I had missed so much, I'm hearing so much more of it now.
Yeah, people saying stuff like that is the thing convincing me there's indeed a bug (along with lots of people complaining about lack of banter without hearing it in any of their playthroughs). And starting a new playthrough after the patch didn't help me, so you're probably just lucky with your third playthrough (hm, could third time be the charm? Naah, I can't be arsed to start the game again just to check is the damn banter fixed).

And just now I'm reading about people having battle shouts - I don't think I ever heard them in my 25+ hours of play time.

Come on Bioware, I really want to play your game and many of your shitty fedex quests, just let me hear party banter regularly and frequently :(

wolfhowwl

Banned
And pretty linear/focused and not loaded with a billion fetch quests too. It would have been perfect if it had a few cutscenes to engage me more.

It could have been a good opportunity to have the Inquisitor play general. Maybe there could have been a dilemma like ME1's Bring Down the Sky where you have to choose between apprehending a Red Templar leader or rescuing the slave laborers. Just put something in there.

That area, Fallow Mire and Crestwood are the best in the game. Really could have used some cutscens though. Especially when you meet the
desire demon
in Emprise Du Lion

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help.

I should've never switch from controller to keyboard/mouse. I can't find a settings file that I can manually switch from keyboard/mouse to controller.

Edit:

FOUND IT!

Gamepad = 1 fixed it.

I just wanted to stop by and say how much I am enjoying Inquisition. This is my first experience with Dragon Age and I wasn't too enamored with the first few hours but I'm not about 12 hours in and just got to Skyhold and man am I pumped to keep going. The whole hour+ leading up to arrive at Skyhold was so well done. I greatly appreciate the dedication to the slow burn. To my knowledge the game is really only just starting and that is super exciting. It makes me excited to see what they can do with Mass Effect, providing this re-focus is present across all of Bioware.

tcrunch

Especially when you meet the
desire demon
in Emprise Du Lion

They call it a
desire demon
, but it's just
some dude in furs that changes into a bunch of different demon models for no reason
. shrug?

Going by DAO he should have been naked except for some carefully placed jewelry.

I find it garish and the contrast is way too cartoonish. Also, there's nothing fun to do there.

If you don't find capturing the keep in EdL fun, well...well that's just your opinion!

Sanctuary

Easily the hardest mission in the game. Even on my second playthrough I died three times. There's more than enough supply crates to restock within Haven, but just barely. If you used too many then you may have fought your way into an unwinnable scenario and have to restart. One of those quests where having multiple saves comes in handy.

For a first playthrough yes, but even on Nightmare it was very easy as long as you brought along some cold damage. Also, the main thing about that encounter is that you STOP turning the Trebuchet after you see 1-2 dots on the minimap. The enemy spawns are finite and you can fight them in groups of 3-5 (max) at a time if you just stop when you see dots on the minimap. It was much more difficult my first time on Hard, because I didn't realize that and thought they would just keep spawning every few turns until the end, so I tried rushing through the turns and ended up with a swarm.

The hardest fights for me have been any that had 2-4 Terror demons. Most annoying fucking enemy in the game bar none. Party wipers in the early levels on Nightmare.

You mean that endless slog fighting the same hordes of red templars over and over for like 2 hours? That keep?

That area, more than any other, made me pity the Red Templar Behemoths. They're so weak, slow, and ineffectual that they rarely get off more than two attacks before dying a miserable death.

The Red Templars in general are so pathetic. Aside from those annoying Red Templar commanders, they're easily dispatched and too few in number to ever be a threat.

Where and how?
I thought your save was broken. However, looking at your later posts, I guess it's more of a control issue for you so feel free to disregard my post.

wolfhowwl

Banned
They call it a
desire demon
, but it's just
some dude in furs that changes into a bunch of different demon models for no reason
. shrug?

Going by DAO he should have been naked except for some carefully placed jewelry.

Imshael
is supposed to be a "Forbidden One" like Gaxkang from DA:O who went from human form to alternating between a Revenant and an Arcane Horror. Looks like they just copied the same format for the fight with him.

I figure this is the best place to ask, should I pick up Dragon Age Origins from the Origin Holiday sale? I was eyeing the Ultimate Edition, is that worth it? Or should I just go with the ten dollar cheaper vanilla edition?
I played on Xbox 360 back in the day and never got the expansion or the dlc, will it go on sale this Christmas on Steam? I figure it won't since it's on Origin but I thought I should check first.

Xeteh

Yeah, people saying stuff like that is the thing convincing me there's indeed a bug (along with lots of people complaining about lack of banter without hearing it in any of their playthroughs). And starting a new playthrough after the patch didn't help me, so you're probably just lucky with your third playthrough (hm, could third time be the charm? Naah, I can't be arsed to start the game again just to check is the damn banter fixed).

And just now I'm reading about people having battle shouts - I don't think I ever heard them in my 25+ hours of play time.

Come on Bioware, I really want to play your game and many of your shitty fedex quests, just let me hear party banter regularly and frequently :(

Oh, it definitely isn't the third start. (I've started/restarted more times than I am willing to admit... its a problem I've had in any game like this) I just thought it was crazy that Bioware came out and said that there really isn't a banter bug it just works differently compared to previous games when it was obvious banter wasn't happening.

Hopefully they fix it. The banter in this game is fantastic and banter has always been a huge reason draw for Dragon Age.

I figure this is the best place to ask, should I pick up Dragon Age Origins from the Origin Holiday sale? I was eyeing the Ultimate Edition, is that worth it? Or should I just go with the ten dollar cheaper vanilla edition?
I played on Xbox 360 back in the day and never got the expansion or the dlc, will it go on sale this Christmas on Steam? I figure it won't since it's on Origin but I thought I should check first.

The UE comes with all of the DLC. If you know what you're getting in to as far as the gameplay goes (plays more like a modern Baldur's Gate than DA2/3) then absolutely pick it up. DA:O is among my favorite games of all time.

wolfhowwl

Banned

The Ultimate Edition should be on sale this Winter Sale. Dragon Age seems to get 75% off sales not too infrequently on Steam.

Dresden

That area, more than any other, made me pity the Red Templar Behemoths. They're so weak, slow, and ineffectual that they rarely get off more than two attacks before dying a miserable death.

The Red Templars in general are so pathetic. Aside from those annoying Red Templar commanders, they're easily dispatched and too few in number to ever be a threat.

Combat in general is kind of a joke. :( Even on nightmare the only real challenge was the Envy demon in the Templar questline, and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be as hard playing anything other than a 2hander melee. Too easy to abuse charging bull/combat roll to get behind dragons. Archers hit hard but that's what knockdowns are for.

It's a pity that difficulty basically changes up numbers and nothing else. Would love to have seen enemy wizards be as dangerous as the Origin ones, instead of the ones we have now that just places mines everywhere. Fix the scaling issues that turns later levels into a joke and place more prowlers/mages with aggressively tuned AI and nightmare would be much more enjoyable.

The UE comes with all of the DLC. If you know what you're getting in to as far as the gameplay goes (plays more like a modern Baldur's Gate than DA2/3) then absolutely pick it up. DA:O is among my favorite games of all time.

It's been a while but I remember enjoying the combat for what it was. It'll be weird to step back into a silent protagonist however.

The Ultimate Edition should be on sale this Winter Sale. Dragon Age seems to get 75% off sales not too infrequently on Steam.

Hmmm, 75 in comparison to 50.. On one side cheaper is better and I much prefer Steam but on the other hand having Dragon Age to travel with on flights to and from school would be great.
Actually, even if I buy it through Steam I'll have to use Origin won't I?

Tabby

It's been a while but I remember enjoying the combat for what it was. It'll be weird to step back into a silent protagonist however.

On the bright side, no VA for MC means more conversation options.

Maybe?

Nope.

If you're thinking of using console for DAO, it's more of a pain to get it working with Steam than it is for Origin.

Xeteh

Hmmm, 75 in comparison to 50.. On one side cheaper is better and I much prefer Steam but on the other hand having Dragon Age to travel with on flights to and from school would be great.

The silent protagonist never bothered me much so I can't really comment on that, I still replay DA:O constantly. You still have a ton of dialogue options to choose which makes more sense to me than DA:I (same with what Bioware has done with ME) where you make a choice based off of the dialogue wheel and the reply you pick is not what you're expecting.

I don't know, I feel like I'm the wrong person to give advice on purchasing DA:O. Its one of my favorite games and as far as I'm concerned everyone should play it. I still hold it against my brother for not liking the game because "combat is too slow".

Combat in general is kind of a joke. :( Even on nightmare the only real challenge was the Envy demon in the Templar questline, and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be as hard playing anything other than a 2hander melee. Too easy to abuse charging bull/combat roll to get behind dragons. Archers hit hard but that's what knockdowns are for.

It's a pity that difficulty basically changes up numbers and nothing else. Would love to have seen enemy wizards be as dangerous as the Origin ones, instead of the ones we have now that just places mines everywhere. Fix the scaling issues that turns later levels into a joke and place more prowlers/mages with aggressively tuned AI and nightmare would be much more enjoyable.

I'm with you though I will say I don't think that DA:I's combat facilitates it. I've already bitched in this thread a ton about how dumb the AI is, if they made the enemy AI better I'd lose my mind. I remember DA:O where if my tank would knock back a darkspawn my rogue would re-position to backstab instead of what happens in DA:I where the melee DPS just kind of wanders to the front and takes a ton of damage. I sincerely love DA:I but maaaaan I wish they retained more of what made Origins' combat fantastic... though I get why they didn't.

PKP

Neo Member
I sincerely love DA:I but maaaaan I wish they retained more of what made Origins' combat fantastic... though I get why they didn't.

This is something I really don't understand. If all the advanced tactics options and behaviours were never in the game, fair enough. But why bother implementing these things and removing them in the later instalments?

Really enjoyed DAI, I just wish some of the choices were more interesting. I have been much more conflicted in other bioware games.

Xeteh

This is something I really don't understand. If all the advanced tactics options and behaviours were never in the game, fair enough. But why bother implementing these things and removing them in the later instalments?

Really enjoyed DAI, I just wish some of the choices were more interesting. I have been much more conflicted in other bioware games.

They just streamlined the game, they made it more action-y. That is the only reason I can think that they took out tactics. It drives me nuts that I can't tell my AI tank not to use War Cry unless there are 3+ mobs around him/her but yeah, they gutted that whole system which is annoying.

Wag

Can I have a hint as to where I find the reading materials for the secondary skill tree quests? I went to the book dealer in Val Roueux and couldn't find anything.

Xeteh

Just started the game and have arrived at the Hinterlands. Noooooow I get it.

OH GOD LEAVE!

But really, have fun in the Hinterlands until you tire of it then move out and do other things. The Hinterlands can last entirely took long if you let it.

Can I have a hint as to where I find the reading materials for the secondary skill tree quests? I went to the book dealer in Val Roueux and couldn't find anything.

They are by the respective teammate. So if you wanted the Templar reading material it is by Cassandra. If you want Tempest it is by Sera... etc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay so I don't think I'm missing anything then.

Solas has actually a *third* mission, but the general consensus amongst many players is that it seems it's bugged since many fail to trigger it and thus not even know it exists.

Supposedly it is triggered by activating a certain number of those round Elven artifacts thingie.

It doesn't affect his romance though.

tcrunch

KB+M control questions...after 120 hours...

Is there a way to select all my pt and make them move to the same spot and stay there? H holds position, but for example if I tell them to move places in tactical, they move there then run back to wherever they want.

Is there a way to make them all attack the same target and "stick" to that target? I find that if I switch characters, when I go back to the first one they're just targeting whatever they want again.

Trying to fight a dragon and the AI is kind of driving me out of my mind so I thought I would ask.

OH GOD LEAVE!

But really, have fun in the Hinterlands until you tire of it then move out and do other things. The Hinterlands can last entirely took long if you let it.
I'm at an impasse, one because I'm having a blast, and two because I'm on nightmare and want to beef up doing random stuff as much as I can.

I will move on eventually though!

Top Bottom