• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Marvel

could never
Potential dumbass question, how do I talk to my friends? sometimes they speak when we are out exploring and a grey transparent chat options appear for me but it disappears before I can figure out how to respond lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solas is one of those examples of BioWare's potential in writing and conceptualisation, similar to Legion from Mass Effect. Fucking love this guy.

Potential dumbass question, how do I talk to my friends? sometimes they speak when we are out exploring and a grey transparent chat options appear for me but it disappears before I can figure out how to respond lol.

Click in the right stick, at least on XB1 anyway. Assume it's the same for PS4. No idea on PC.

Something that really annoyed me story wise:

Spoilers for Cassandra's personal quests and Crestwood in the tags.

The settlement that you can establish in Crestwood is the one in the mission for Cassandra where her people have been killed. I had already unlocked it as a stronghold but it was like a separate place just identical. No trace of me having been there was available - they should have used a different castle for either the mission or the settlement (I can't remember the castles name, sorry.

Darklord

Banned
Fuck! I shouldn't have updated this on PC! It's unplayable now, it's like a faulty dvd hitching up every few seconds. This isn't just stuttering, it's broken. :(

Oh how do you do it?
It's the same for most chests/loot. In the Hinterlands where you fight the dragon there's a boat with a lot of stuff including fade-touched obsidian which gives you +3 guard on hit. Just take everything except the gold, save then re-load. Go back and it's all there again. Rinse and repeat.

Neoweee

Finished all of the Dragons on Nightmare. My murder squad was my Templar, Blackwall with a Shield, Iron Bull with a 2H, and Dorian. At level 23, the last dragon went down pretty easily.

Stacking Fire Resistance sure helped.

Don't underestimate the guard-break skills.

Kimaka

Alistair told me that they shouldn't count on the Warden's help because she walks a dark path and did terrible things when they fought the Archdemon. Any idea what decision triggers that? She was on good terms with all the party members and its odd that Alistair talks about her with such fear when they were former lovers.

Alistair looks more like Cullen than Cullen does.

emag

For anyone who has discovered the Temple of Dirthman...how the hell do I beat the boss? I'm a level 11 mage and my main party consist of Cole, Blackwall, and Solas. The boss is really annoying with his barrier spell but even that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the ENDLESS FUCKING ARMY OF CORPSES. Should I just come back at a higher level?

They're not endless; take them out first, then focus on the boss (dispel and other anti-barrier abilities are great, as always). I blew through them on Hard at level 13 (?) with Cass, Solas, and S&S self (plus useless Rogue).

Finished all of the Dragons on Nightmare. My murder squad was my Templar, Blackwall with a Shield, Iron Bull with a 2H, and Dorian. At level 23, the last dragon went down pretty easily.

Stacking Fire Resistance sure helped.

Don't underestimate the guard-break skills.

Shield Bash is amazing for stripping away guard. One or two shots and the toughest dragon is left defenseless.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon Age always felt more Wheel of Time than ASOIAF to me, the anachronistic attitudes don't really feel out of sync with earlier games. The world has a church run by women, it's expected that things would be much different socially.

I'll have to go back and play Origins yet again, but I distinctly remember the writing and characters in that feeling different... more grounded in the medieval-like setting. I may be wrong, of course, and it may have just been my impression at the time.

LX_Theo

Banned
I like most of the characters in this game, but does anyone else feel they are written to be a bit too... modern?

Like their values and morals and level-headed decision making capabilities. None of the main cast really feel like they fit in a medieval fantasy universe. I didn't really get this impression with the original Dragon Age, where they seemed to be going for more of A Song of Ice and Fire-style gritty feel. Obviously they can do whatever they want in their fantasy universe, but it feels a bit off to me, personally.
Eh, nah. The Dragon Age universe has always felt like more of a clash between modern and medieval values.

jgwhiteus

I'll have to go back and play Origins yet again, but I distinctly remember the writing and characters in that feeling different... more grounded in the medieval-like setting. I may be wrong, of course, and it may have just been my impression at the time.

Some of the settings seemed a bit anachronistic for a medieval period - Val Royeaux and the Winter Palace in particular seem to be going for 17th / 18th-century France, as does a lot of the costuming and attire. Some tech. and machinery also seem very advanced, though the game usually hand-waves it with "based on ancient Elven / Dwarven technology" or "powered by magic!" or something.

I enjoy Sera as a character very much, but her accent and some of her slang seem a bit modern.

As for the characters' views on religion / gender / sexuality, etc. - well, it's a universe whose dominant religion is concerned with the use of magic and led by a female holy figure, where demons and spirits regularly appear out of rifts in the sky, and four vastly different races co-exist on the same continent, so... I give the game some leeway when it presents a world which doesn't exactly mirror the historical attitudes and prejudices of our own :p (though it's obvious where the game is trying to draw parallels to modern conflicts and questions).

abundant

I love it when everything comes together with the MP. Just finished a game where, in the final wave, the Legionnaire was front and center in the battle, while I, as a Hunter, laid down Elemental Mines, which allowed me, an Archer, and a Keeper (who used Barrier whenever possible) to fall back behind the mines and attacked from afar. And the surprising thing, no mics were used.

TheMan

so i'm at the part where
i buried the town in the avalanche and i met the guy with the lyrium in his face.
How far into the story do you guys think I am?

typho

Neo Member
Alistair told me that they shouldn't count on the Warden's help because she walks a dark path and did terrible things when they fought the Archdemon. Any idea what decision triggers that? She was on good terms with all the party members and its odd that Alistair talks about her with such fear when they were former lovers.

I got the same dialog. I figured it was because in the keep I
chose to have the old god baby with Morrigan.
I'm not sure what could have caused it for you, since it sounds like you had a female warden.

That can only be referring to (DAO spoilers)
the dark ritual with Morrigan. IIRC Alistair performs it when the Warden is female though, so I'm not sure how that works...

And yeah, Alistair hasn't looked like himself at all in either DA2 or DAI.

Bioware really seemed to struggle to even get Leliana, Cassandra, and a couple other recurring characters even half-right.

Bioware really seemed to struggle to even get Leliana, Cassandra, and a couple other recurring characters even half-right.

BioWare really fails at recreating old Origins characters, whether it was going into DA2 or Inquisition. Obviously they'll look higher fidelity now but they just fail at recreating the basic facial features and size/shape for most of the returning Origins characters.

BioWare really fails at recreating old Origins characters, whether it was going into DA2 or Inquisition. Obviously they'll look higher fidelity now but they just fail at recreating the basic facial features and size/shape for most of the returning Origins characters.

This just proves that their character creation tools are bad! (Which is concidentally why all of my characters look weird.)

And no, don't link me to the "show off your Inquisitor" thread. I don't want to feel sad this early in the day.

Footos22

Wish X1 screenshot feature update would hurry up and drop, this game is too purrdy.

Forbidden oasis especially. and crestwood after you clear the rifts are incredible graphically. Love the graphics in this game. So many small details that make it that more immersive. 45 hours in and I've only been in 5 areas. Can't get enough.

Morrigan looks GOOD though, better than most other characters in the game if you ask me.

Caboose

I don't want to play anymore until I get a way to change my looks during the game. Can't believe they had it in DA II and just threw the Black Emporium out the window.

Crisco

Banned
Not enough as been said about how amazing the sound is in this game. With headphones and virtualized surround, it does the best job I've ever experienced of immersing you into the game. More than once have I looked around my room due to some sound coming from the game.

Kimaka

I got the same dialog. I figured it was because in the keep I
chose to have the old god baby with Morrigan.
I'm not sure what could have caused it for you, since it sounds like you had a female warden.

That can only be referring to (DAO spoilers)
the dark ritual with Morrigan. IIRC Alistair performs it when the Warden is female though, so I'm not sure how that works...

That is really funny then because I persuaded him to do it. I guess I can pretend he is bitter about the break up.

He looks better here than in 2 but, yeah, still not like himself. Most of the past characters are misses although I think Varric is one of the few that looks fine.

Could be whether you drank avernus' potion.

I didn't play that DLC.

Top Bottom