• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Finally finished. Great game, but slightly anticlimactic ending. Still my GOTY by far. Might go back and finish things up, but for now need to take a break. Was kind of hoping that Josephine was a closet nympho, but oh well.

Also, can someone explain the post credits scene?

Xeteh

So how far into the main story line am I when I reach the Arbor Wilds?

Almost finished.

Also, can someone explain the post credits scene?

Not reaaaaally. Its kind of conjecture but what we know is
Solas is Fen'haral the Dread Wolf. I don't know what he did with Flemeth/Mythal but he seemingly absorbed something that killed her. He also gave the orb to Corypheus, if he was true and said he did it because he was too weak once he woke or not you can't really say. There's so much that isn't known. I'm sure other people have figured it out better.

Sanctuary

You can have enough agents to unlock Deft Hands by the time you get a 2nd influence point. There's really no reason not to get it, the Amulet of Power in Crestwood is worth it alone.

Uh, when it means having to wait for +4 potions and +1 potion slot, no, it's not even close to being worth it at that point, especially on Nightmare. Those perks go a lot farther earlier than an extra skill point that you can get at any time.

Focus is not worth getting until
after Haven, as you don't even get Focus, IIRC, until you reach Skyhold
(I could be wrong about that, can't remember). Deft Hands is worth getting early as you can use the
Fade Obsidian chest in Redweld
to easily get enough
Fade Obsidian to craft
Guard on Hit armor for all your teammates early on - that's a game changer in and of itself. 10% herbs is just to save time - I still think prioritizing potions and inventory over gathering materials was the right choice for me.

Do you mean Redcliffe? Otherwise, I don't know where Redweld is and on my first playthrough I stopped at level 20 after clearing most of the Hissing Wastes and all of the dragons. The game was just too easy at that point on Hard. Anyway, it's very unlikely you would have a surplus of perks by the time you hit
Skyhold at level 9 - 11 which is when you would be close to unlocking your specialization, and you have to spend a junk perk or two on top of getting enough agents to unlock the potions.

Guard on hit, plus everyone wearing 225 - 275 armor is what made the game trivial and why I restarted anyway.

Xeteh

Uh, when it means having to wait for +4 potions and +1 potion slot, no, it's not even close to being worth it at that point, especially on Nightmare.

To each his own, I've been playing on Nightmare as well and I rarely pick up either of the potion perks. If I do it is it is much later in the game. I'm just saying two points (or one if you pick it up later) is not a high cost for an extra ability point and being able to finish certain quests.

Dresden

Didn't use anything other than rejuv potions. No focus skills either. I took Deft Hands early on because fuck leaving doors locked.

Just beat the game.

The story was so bad and went absolutely nowhere. It's like they stopped trying after you reached Skyhold.

If they spent more time in development on the story and less with endless amounts of MMO fetchquests and exploration, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. That, along with the numerous bugs, boring combat, enemy sponges, atrocious boss battles, and unmemorable characters, I found the game to be extremely disappointing.

Overall, it isn't a bad game though. It looks great and sounds great. I definitely do not see myself replaying it though. I would probably give it a 7/10 or so.

It does everything I hate about WRPGs, but doesn't do it nearly as bad as some. So I still enjoyed it more than most WRPGs, honestly.

The overall series is probably one of the most disappointing series I've ever played considering the caliber of the developer and the budget the series has. It hasn't improved in any way since Origins, which showed a lot of promise.

Xeteh

Didn't use anything other than rejuv potions. No focus skills either. I took Deft Hands early on because fuck leaving doors locked.

Same, I can buy Elfroot (though I tend to find more than enough) so I just use Rejuv potions a ton. I do use Focus skills though.

Sanctuary

How is that even possible on anything higher than Normal? You take way too much damage in some fights to rely soley on Barriers and 3-6 hp per second. Or are you talking about the third slot? The main thing that is useful for is Bees and the resist potions (for dragon fights).

I think finding the shards through the Ocularium should be all you have to do, then Inquisition grunts come and pick them up off-screen or something. It's really annoying to have to run back through areas I've already cleared of objectives just for shards.

Yeah, for a game about leading this huge army you sure do spend a lot of time doing grunt work.

Did you not stick around after the credits?

Yes I did. It was predictable as hell, and doesn't make up for the rest of the awful story, despite it being the only semi-exciting thing to happen once you reached Skyhold. Not to mention BioWare's super duper awkward animation and cutscene direction just made me laugh during that scene.

Xeteh

How is that even possible on anything higher than Normal? You take way too much damage in some fights to rely soley on Barriers and 3-6 hp per second. Or are you talking about the third slot? The main thing that is useful for is Bees and the resist potions (for dragon fights).

Not really, by the time you get decent armor on your tank they're taking so little damage that Rejuv can tend to out heal it. Then with fast travel there's no real need to stress about how many potions you have because you can always refill and "dungeons" tend to have enough supply caches to keep you going.

Xevren

Only other potions I used other than the default healing were jar of bee's and the offense tonic. (nightmare)

Dresden

Yep, the third slot with the plus-one potion perk.

Having 12 potions is really handy early on. I think that's the only perk that I'd take before Deft Hands.

Only other potions I used other than the default healing were jar of bee's and the offense tonic. (nightmare)

Kinda wish I'd played around with them more. I was always too busy holding down Dragon Rage, though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Sooooo, like 15 hours in Leliana tells me that the Warden in the first game is a woman. In the keep I have that the Warden is a man with a love for Morrigan. Is this something worth me restarting for? Or is it miniscule?

Xeteh

Sooooo, like 15 hours in Leliana tells me that the Warden in the first game is a woman. In the keep I have that the Warden is a man with a love for Morrigan. Is this something worth me restarting for? Or is it miniscule?

Hard to say, honestly. Depends on the kind of person you are, I guess. Its not a HUGE thing but it definitely does change some things later. If you think you can redo everything without hating yourself go for it.

Grisby

The scene after Varric's personal quest is great. Games need more scenes like that.
Cullen running naked from the table gave me some chuckles.

So I'm moving on into the Hissing Wastes because I heard there was a good place to get schematics. Any tips on where to head to? Feels like I've been wearing my armor for the last 30 hours or so.

Xeteh

The scene after Varric's personal quest is great. Games need more scenes like that.
Cullen running naked from the table gave me some chuckles.

So I'm moving on into the Hissing Wastes because I heard there was a good place to get schematics. Any tips on where to head to? Feels like I've been wearing my armor for the last 30 hours or so.

Hissing Waste merchant sells some T3 armors. There's tombs that all have T3 weapon schematics iirc.

zkorejo

Does anyone know where i could find the battleage cowl schematics? I have been trying to look for it. Went to the merchant in the canyons but he wasnt selling. I really need it.

dralla

For dual dagger builds, you equip separate daggers in each hand, right? Each dagger in your inventory doesn't count as a pair?

erawsd

There really isn't much chit chat between you and non-story enemies is there? Usually in Bioware RPGs theres some amount of dialogue between you and "boss" NPCs, you could often talk your way out of a situation. Here, it seems like I just find them, kill them, and then read a bunch of notes they left behind.

Granted, I've only cleared 3 zones so far so maybe some more of it shows up later all.

My Cole with 50% critical chance wrecks so much ass god damn. Now im wanting to make all my melee memebers and bow sera have as high crit chance as possible.

Edit upon further review of skill tree.. Cole is the one that dont need high crit rate because of some skill benifits like 100% crit rate if attaking by flank and others lol. I juat wasted like a ton of bear skins to jack up his crit rate.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ending thoughts...

So
Solas is ultimately the one most responsible for all the troubles in the game, because he felt guilty due to the state of the world when he awoke from his sleep and thus he gave the Orb to Corypheus with the intent of releasing the Elven Gods he himself locked away ages ago, only for Corypheus to go crazy--ironically, due to the same reason Solas did, that is, he found the state of world when he awoke as unsatisfactory.

So in the end I assume
he absorbed Mythal from Flemeth because that's the only way left to open the Eluvian that serve as the lock towards the location where the old Elven Gods are locked in, since the "key" to that Eluvian, the orb, is broken at the final fight.

Huh.

There really isn't much chit chat between you and non-story enemies is there? Usually in Bioware RPGs theres some amount of dialogue between you and "boss" NPCs, you could often talk your way out of a situation. Here, it seems like I just find them, kill them, and then read a bunch of notes they left behind.

Granted, I've only cleared 3 zones so far so maybe some more of it shows up later all.

It doesn't change at all even if you unlock all the zones. They're all like that. It's lame.

Also you folks now what else is lame? The 2-hander spec. Their damage is not what I expected---hell, Archery seem to outperfoms it by leaps and bounds in terms of damage. So disappointing.

noonche

So I played through the intro as both a rogue and a mage and hated how both of them played. Does the base combat for any of the other classes feel any different?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
annnd finished at 104 hours. Still have some missing mosaic pieces and that one bugged area in the Exalted Plains that won't show on the map, but I got everything: bottles, fragments, dragons, songs, fortress upgrades and furniture...maybe will write some short review later, but for now, I feel like Bioware redeemed itself in my eyes

and now onto Smash FINALLY

emag

So I played through the intro as both a rogue and a mage and hated how both of them played. Does the base combat for any of the other classes feel any different?

You mean warrior? There are only three classes. You might as well try the last one, but it's mostly standing in melee and holding down the attack button (drawing agro or building guard as necessary).

emag

Am I supposed to do Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts first, or Here Lies The Abyss?

Wicked Eyes. Or doesn't really matter, to be honest, but you can get a short bonus dialog if you do Wicked Eyes first.

On the other hand, Here Lies the Abyss is much more enjoyable.

If you upgrade the rejuvenation potions, they last a very long time and they heal everyone within certain distance from you, not just the person chugging it, it is really kinda OP.

You mean warrior? There are only three classes. You might as well try the last one, but it's mostly standing in melee and holding down the attack button (drawing agro or building guard as necessary).

As a reaver I'm charging all over the place with Charging Bull, putting down and recalling my Ring of Pain to wherever the fighting's thickest, parrying enemies with Block and Slash, and randomly turning into a whirling dervish of death. Warriors are a lot more interesting when you liberate yourself from the mindset that you must tank.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Uh, when it means having to wait for +4 potions and +1 potion slot, no, it's not even close to being worth it at that point, especially on Nightmare. Those perks go a lot farther earlier than an extra skill point that you can get at any time.

Do you mean Redcliffe? Otherwise, I don't know where Redweld is and on my first playthrough I stopped at level 20 after clearing most of the Hissing Wastes and all of the dragons. The game was just too easy at that point on Hard. Anyway, it's very unlikely you would have a surplus of perks by the time you hit
Skyhold at level 9 - 11 which is when you would be close to unlocking your specialization, and you have to spend a junk perk or two on top of getting enough agents to unlock the potions.

Guard on hit, plus everyone wearing 225 - 275 armor is what made the game trivial and why I restarted anyway.

Hahah, yes, I mean Redcliffe, sorry. Just finished the game on Nightmare and I still think that stupid Haven boss fight was the hardest in the game, including all the dragons. I was really bummed with the final battle too,
mostly because they don't let you use your whole team at some point during the battle, as you are required to do in DAO and DA2.

My Cole with 50% critical chance wrecks so much ass god damn. Now im wanting to make all my melee memebers and bow sera have as high crit chance as possible.

Rogues have ridiculous damage output at higher levels, indeed.
The highest damage I saw from level 20 Sera was 8000 crit to a demon, using a long shot.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If you upgrade the rejuvenation potions, they last a very long time and they heal everyone within certain distance from you, not just the person chugging it, it is really kinda OP.

The healing grenades work amazingly well too. Proximity heal, phoenix down + auto potions..... I don't know why people would use the grenade slot for other stuff than the Healing Grenades.

Rogues have ridiculous damage output at higher levels, indeed.
The highest damage I saw from level 20 Sera was 8000 crit to a demon, using a long shot.

I just saw a 12K damage from a Fire Mine last night :p To a Dragon, even.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just finished the Winter Palace quest. What a pain in the ass! It made no sense whatsoever.

It leads to one of the best, funniest judgment in Skyhold scenes... no, the entire game, though.

But that is only if you
elect to kill Gaspard's sister.

noonche

As a reaver I'm charging all over the place with Charging Bull, putting down and recalling my Ring of Pain to wherever the fighting's thickest, parrying enemies with Block and Slash, and randomly turning into a whirling dervish of death. Warriors are a lot more interesting when you liberate yourself from the mindset that you must tank.

Is a reaver another kind of warrior? How long does it take you to get that far?

Also you folks now what else is lame? The 2-hander spec. Their damage is not what I expected---hell, Archery seem to outperfoms it by leaps and bounds in terms of damage. So disappointing.

I'm having a blast with it - feel like I have near total control of the battle. I don't feel like DPS is the most important part of making a build fun and effective. Not great against physically-immune bosses but then most builds have their shortcomings.

Is a reaver another kind of warrior? How long does it take you to get that far?

You can unlock specializations for all classes after reaching Skyhold.

To be fair most of those things I mentioned are things and normal warrior could do.

Not the best graphics ever but some truly fantastic Art design. Game can be so beautiful sometimes. Going by this cross gen game this new gen is going to have some absolutely stunning games.

Top Bottom