• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Does any know how Mana Surge works? The description says that it makes your barrier explodes when enemies destroy it. Does that refer to the mages personal barrier, or every barrier that they cast?

If it's only their own personal barrier, that doesn't seem too great since ideally mages aren't in the think of a fight so the explosion likely isn't going to be very useful. On the other hand, if it refers to every barrier the mage casts, that seems too powerful.

Also, the barrier skill seems like it would be great for Vivienne since after she gets Knight Enchanter she will be in the thick of fights more often. Right now I have Solas focused on Winter magic and the barrier tree, Vivienne and Dorian each have the Barrier skill and are otherwise only invested in the Lightning and Fire trees respectively. Is that fine or should would different elements have been preferable based on their specializations?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does any know how Mana Surge works? The description says that it makes your barrier explodes when enemies destroy it. Does that refer to the mages personal barrier, or every barrier that they cast?

If it's only their own personal barrier, that doesn't seem too great since ideally mages aren't in the think of a fight so the explosion likely isn't going to be very useful. On the other hand, if it refers to every barrier the mage casts, that seems too powerful.

Also, the barrier skill seems like it would be great for Vivienne since after she gets Knight Enchanter she will be in the thick of fights more often. Right now I have Solas focused on Winter magic and the barrier tree, Vivienne and Dorian each have the Barrier skill and are otherwise only invested in the Lightning and Fire trees respectively. Is that fine or should would different elements have been preferable based on their specializations?

Mana Surge works on Barriers cast on you that are destroyed through enemy attacks, not the one that disappear naturally. So, for instance, if an enemy attack reduce your barrier from 70% to 30% but then it depletes, it won't trigger the effect. The effect *only* triggers if if the Barriers are destroyed by an attack.

So! If you couple it with Ice Armor, all the barriers upgrade from Spirit, PLUS Knight Enchanter, I believe this is *the* most durable spec available in all game, save probably a tank-focused Champion build.

Spirit + Knight Enchanter + whatever element you have is fine, as well as Spirit + Rift Mage + whatever element you want. Some element works better with certain specialization though, for example, Knight Enchanter + Ice is very, very durable, and Rift Mage + Inferno is very, very good, especially with Fire Mine (though Knight Enchanter with Fire Mine is also amazing). Rift Mage and Lightning... eh, you're basically AOE machine, but I personally wouldn't recommend it since Pull of the Abyss and Lightning Cage basically serve the same function... but if you want to do it, it's definitely doable.

jgwhiteus

Do you mean his romance quest? Can't remember dragons coming up at any point during my conversations with Bull.

I remember triggering a cutscene conversation with him in the tavern after killing the first dragon (he goads you to drink several times). It was funny but a little odd, because he talked about how excited he was during the fight but he wasn't part of the party...

wolfhowwl

Banned
First multiplayer DLC seems to have dropped on Xbox One.

It's called the "Destruction Multiplayer Expansion."

707 MB

Dragon Age™: Inquisition - Destruction adds new paths to the Elven Ruins, Orlesian Chateau, and Tevinter Ruins. The conflicts raging throughout the world have upset the balance of nature: wild creatures now roam the battlefield, introducing chaos as they attack both friend and foe.

Brace for bears.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Anyone know where to get beastly one handed weapons? Level 17 and still rocking a 182 dps with a fire rune

Caliban, a one handed sword with 218 dps, +16% heal on kill, and +5% damage for each enemy close to you, is on one of the dragons in Emprise du Lion.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone know where to get beastly one handed weapons? Level 17 and still rocking a 182 dps with a fire rune

Highest DPS stuff can only be gotten through crafting.

Seriously, even dragon drops are pale in comparison to crafted stuff. Though of course if you care about looks, then the dragon drops looked great for the most part. Pure damage value for weapons or defense value for armor? Crafting beats them all.

jgwhiteus

So for those of you who play Knight-Enchanter (and I know there are a lot of you), what's your personal 8-skill hotkey build? I find myself using different skills on my second playthrough than on my first; skills I thought would be useful I didn't end up using and vice-versa. For me, it's:

1. Fade Step / Frost Step - absolutely necessary to move into (or out of) melee position; this is actually the first skill I acquire at lv. 2
2. Chain Lightning - useful throughout the game for enemy groups
3. Barrier - generally don't need it for the Inquisitor; I use it more for my melee party members
4. Fire Mine - I used to use Immolate, but this one packs a bigger punch, at the cost of having to anticipate enemy movement
5. Winter's Grasp - I thought I wouldn't need it with Frost Step, but it's just really useful for freezing enemies and setting up a Shatter combo
6. Spirit Blade (duh)
7. Rift Focus ability - I could probably replace this with something else; I only really use it during dragon and giant fights, it takes a long time to build Focus, and it doesn't do THAT much damage.
8. Mind Blast - could also replace this; I use it because I build up the Barrier tree anyway and it's a combo detonator, but there's probably a better skill in one of the other trees

LOZLINK

Highest DPS stuff can only be gotten through crafting.

Seriously, even dragon drops are pale in comparison to crafted stuff. Though of course if you care about looks, then the dragon drops looked great for the most part. Pure damage value for weapons or defense value for armor? Crafting beats them all.

Schematics then?
Highest I have so far for 1H is only up to 170 i think

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So for those of you who play Knight-Enchanter (and I know there are a lot of you), what's your personal 8-skill hotkey build? I find myself using different skills on my second playthrough than on my first; skills I thought would be useful I didn't end up using and vice-versa. For me, it's:

1. Fade Step / Frost Step - absolutely necessary to move into (or out of) melee position; this is actually the first skill I acquire at lv. 2
3. Barrier - generally don't need it for the Inquisitor; I use it more for my melee party members
4. Fire Mine - I used to use Immolate, but this one packs a bigger punch, at the cost of having to anticipate enemy movement
5. Winter's Grasp - I thought I wouldn't need it with Frost Step, but it's just really useful for freezing enemies and setting up a Shatter combo
6. Spirit Blade (duh)
7. Rift Focus ability - I could probably replace this with something else; I only really use it during dragon and giant fights, it takes a long time to build Focus, and it doesn't do THAT much damage.
8. Mind Blast - could also replace this; I use it because I build up the Barrier tree anyway and it's a combo detonator, but there's probably a better skill in one of the other trees

1. Fade Step with no upgrade.
2. Barrier. (duh) -- of course with all the available Barrier-related upgrades on the spirit tree.
3. Spirit Blade (duh duh) with Defending Blade upgrade.
4. Fire Mine (a personal favorite) -- of course with all the Fire upgrades available as well such as Chaotic Rune.
5. Dispel.
6. Fade Cloak with Decloaking Blast upgrade.
7. Resurgence.
8. Immolate.

1-4 I use often, Dispel I use situationally (ridding enemies' barrier or enemies' glyphs), and the rest is just for shits and giggles.

Schematics then?
Highest I have so far for 1H is only up to 170 i think

Yep. I am not near my PS4 right now so I can't check what I have equipped for my warriors, but crafted > drops, in terms of pure stats.

Fantomex

We should start reminiscing about the old days with this game. I'll start.

I remember being in the hinterlands, and not being able to beat those howling old lady demons and those tree monsters because they were like level 13 and j was level 7. I must have tried for hours though lol. Came back when I was level 13 and mopped the floor with those guys. Good times.

Uh oh blackwall went awol on me. Left a letter too.. fucker better comeback as he's wearing the best warrior armor i got while my IB is stuck on some weak ass armor. Ugh.

Fantomex

Uh oh blackwall went awol on me. Left a letter too.. fucker better comeback as he's wearing the best warrior armor i got while my IB is stuck on some weak ass armor. Ugh.

Lol you didn't know? He takes off and trades it for skme whores and booze when you catch him in a tavern

valkyre

Wierd question incoming. Can i visit Crestwood before going to Skyhold? Ie is crestwood area possible to unlock from the war table in Haven?

LOZLINK

1. Fade Step with no upgrade.
2. Barrier. (duh) -- of course with all the available Barrier-related upgrades on the spirit tree.
3. Spirit Blade (duh duh) with Defending Blade upgrade.
4. Fire Mine (a personal favorite) -- of course with all the Fire upgrades available as well such as Chaotic Rune.
5. Dispel.
6. Fade Cloak with Decloaking Blast upgrade.
7. Resurgence.
8. Immolate.

1-4 I use often, Dispel I use situationally (ridding enemies' barrier or enemies' glyphs), and the rest is just for shits and giggles.

Yep. I am not near my PS4 right now so I can't check what I have equipped for my warriors, but crafted > drops, in terms of pure stats.
I meant where to get Tier 3 (or 4?) schematics lmao.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wierd question incoming. Can i visit Crestwood before going to Skyhold? Ie is crestwood area possible to unlock from the war table in Haven?

No.

I meant where to get Tier 3 (or 4?) schematics lmao.

Ahh, sorry, hahaha.

Well, for staff, a merchant in Emprise du Leon sells it, IIRC, although you need to liberate the Keep there first.

As for the others, it is random drop, unfortunately. Some merchants sell them but only with the Short List perk. Also you get a few from War Table missions, such as Negotiate A Deal for Weapon Plans or Ironbull's Personal Quest (depending on your choice). The Hissing Waste's tomb quest also gives you a few.

For Tier 3 armors schematic you can purchase them from a unique merchant (well, insofar as no NPC nearby the buy/sell table) in Hissing Waste.

Blarg

Neo Member
Seriously WTF is up with that trebuchet fight? Can I level up and come back later or do the enemies scale? I'm level 10 on Nightmare.

Xeteh

Seriously WTF is up with that trebuchet fight? Can I level up and come back later or do the enemies scale? I'm level 10 on Nightmare.

They don't scale, so if you wanted to you could. You can always just turn until a couple enemies spawn then kill them instead of turning it until it makes you stop.

erawsd

That was a pain for me too. I ended up just running away and, luckily, only the main guy and two of his goons chased me so I took control of Cass to dodge all the boss attacks and commanded everyone else to CC/Kill the other two guys.

erawsd

6. Spirit Blade (duh)

I tried to build a KE that wasn't grossly OP. I enjoy the play style of "Battle Mage" but I also enjoy a challenging experience. Right now I'm using:

1. Spirit Blade
2. Fade Cloak
3. Frost Step
4. Barrier
5. Immolate
6. Energy Barrage
7. Winter Grasp
8. Focus

2,3 and 4 are pretty much how I stay alive. 5 and 6 for detonation. 7 so that I can provide a little bit of CC.

That's a bit low for that quest on that difficulty.

The game tends to make milestone saves before big events like this which you can reload, but I'm unsure if one is made here. You can definitely fight your way to an unwinnable scenario in the end, and probably will if you haven't taken the +4 potions perk yet.

Footos22

turn until radar dots pop up kill them and turn again. when big bad barry comes in. ignore him and get the minions then just let the others fight him far from trebuchet then just carry on turning.

Ploid 3.0

First multiplayer DLC seems to have dropped on Xbox One.

It's called the "Destruction Multiplayer Expansion."

707 MB

Looking forward to this on PC. I hope it's not under Microsoft's DLC timing deal. Leave that for SP since people buying Platinum funds MP.

Since this is probably only a new path and no new gear, loot, includes weapon schematics, and such I can deal with not having it since it may slow me down on my solo farming. They really need to do something for some of the classes in the game, abilities that don't work, and stats/accessories that also don't work.

fedexpeon

Banned
is 2H Warrior just a bad class in the current version of the game right now?

Nope.
Bull Charge(6 sec CD)+Reaver class=Mobility and fun.

Spam your Shouts for more guards/armors/stam so you can safely be at 10% HP, get +HP items for more dmg from Dragonrage as well.
Spam Bull Charge for Guard, Devour for healing.
Always Bull Charges because it is a broken ability, free guard/stam/high dmg/6 fricken seconds CD.
Add in Fade Touched Silverite for +5 Guard on Hit...yeah, you will streamroll everything on Nightmare.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
is 2H Warrior just a bad class in the current version of the game right now?

That is what I felt like when I began the game too .. the 2H warrior is very gimped at the start .. adding it to the fact is that for being a fucking 2 handed warrior .. the damage dealt is REALLY low ..

My game (early on) involved being the tank, and soaking up the damage while the magicians dealt the REAL damage from the back row.

However, once you get him up a level, you start getting cool abilities, area of effect moves and generally punishing attacks, you can also reduce cooldown times etc too so you're doing these attacks more often.

Its an underwhelming class to start, but it becomes a great one later in the game.

KePoW

Banned
Not when you're a reaver. tearing through things now on nightmare difficulty
granted it took till like level 15 before I mained my inquisitor.

Nope.
Bull Charge(6 sec CD)+Reaver class=Mobility and fun.

Spam your Shouts for more guards/armors/stam so you can safely be at 10% HP, get +HP items for more dmg from Dragonrage as well.
Spam Bull Charge for Guard, Devour for healing.
Always Bull Charges because it is a broken ability, free guard/stam/high dmg/6 fricken seconds CD.
Add in Fade Touched Silverite for +5 Guard on Hit...yeah, you will streamroll everything on Nightmare.

That is what I felt like when I began the game too .. the 2H warrior is very gimped at the start .. adding it to the fact is that for being a fucking 2 handed warrior .. the damage dealt is REALLY low ..

My game (early on) involved being the tank, and soaking up the damage while the magicians dealt the REAL damage from the back row.

However, once you get him up a level, you start getting cool abilities, area of effect moves and generally punishing attacks, you can also reduce cooldown times etc too so you're doing these attacks more often.

Its an underwhelming class to start, but it becomes a great one later in the game.

ok sweet beanz!

uniform

So for those of you who play Knight-Enchanter (and I know there are a lot of you), what's your personal 8-skill hotkey build?

1. Barrier
2. Fade Cloak
3. Immolate
4. Chain Lightning
5. Energy Barrage
6. Spirit Blade
7. Fade Step
8. Winter's Grasp

I should have went with Rift Mage as I don't even play KE as a melee unless enemies are on top of me. It's not a total loss because I still benefit from the Fade Shield passive by casting spells, although not as efficiently as Spirit Blade spam. I look at it as a defensive specialization in conjunction with range casting, or life insurance.

Not really stuck with the above build. I may try something wacky like going down the winter tree because I love Blizzard so much.

So for those of you who play Knight-Enchanter (and I know there are a lot of you), what's your personal 8-skill hotkey build

frequently use:
Spirit Blade
Energy Barrage
Chain Lightning
Static Cage

rarely use:
Resurgence
Lightning Bolt
Fade Cloak
Barrier

I'm way over-levelled, so anything would work well for me at this point.

Tabby

6. Spirit Blade (duh)

1. Spirit Blade.
2. Immolate
3. Energy Barrage
4. Static Cage
5. Barrier
6. Fade Step
7. Fade Cloak
8. Haven't got that far yet.

Ashodin

Using controller on PC:

Y: Chain Lightning
B: Fade Step