• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Xeteh

What do you guys think of this Artificer deal?
I mostly have Varric with Double Daggers + Subterfuge with a little poison for his weapons. What should I focus on next?

I'm not really a fan of Artificer. Sounds like it is potentially amazing but you kind of have to build your party around it to get the most out of it.

As long as you have Look Like it Hurt + Cheap Shot in Sabotage and Evade + Ambush in Subterfuge I think you're good. I'm sure you've got most of the DD skills so there's nothing else really "must have".

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Do you guys shuffle your party member based on the mission to get "extra" dialogue if there's one
like Cassandra if its Templar mission

Yes. The game actually rewards this - e.g., Solas should go on the
What Pride Hath Wrought
mission as it involves an
elven
temple. There are
codexes you can find that will remain untranslated if
he's not on the mission when you pick them up.

DarkMehm

So, I didn't get the Short List perk and therefore can't buy the masterworks tier 3 schematics from the merchant in the Hissing Wastes. Can you farm them somewhere else or did I lock myself out of the best armor?

Xevren

How am I supposed to make an armor with tier 4 material in every slot? Where do I even find tier 4 material?

For the Masterwork trophy.

Don't have to be tier 4 in every slot, just the top one. If you're going for the trophy just make a hat with dragon materials, can save it before you do it so you don't waste the materials if you wanted. Can be kind of finnicky like most trophies in the game.

Xeteh

So, I didn't get the Short List perk and therefore can't buy the masterworks tier 3 schematics from the merchant in the Hissing Wastes. Can you farm them somewhere else or did I lock myself out of the best armor?

If you have a bunch of gold you can always buy Influence from a vendor in Skyhold. You CAN farm T3 schematics but it is very monotonous.

I'm not really a fan of Artificer. Sounds like it is potentially amazing but you kind of have to build your party around it to get the most out of it.

As long as you have Look Like it Hurt + Cheap Shot in Sabotage and Evade + Ambush in Subterfuge I think you're good. I'm sure you've got most of the DD skills so there's nothing else really "must have".

Great thanks.

spekkeh

Banned
I think Cassandra, Iron Bull and Dorian are all amazing characters. Too bad they've been given so little to work with, heh. But it's Bioware at its best in terms of creating cool sidekicks. Better than the previous Dragon Ages imo. I'm kind of sad I didn't play a man cause I'd totally gay it up with Dorian. No homo.

Now I'm left romancing Sera, that bird's a right clunge but also got a proper fit bod innit. Though so far all our sex is off screen, what a bummer.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think Cassandra, Iron Bull and Dorian are all amazing characters. Too bad they've been given so little to work with, heh. But it's Bioware at its best in terms of creating cool sidekicks. Better than the previous Dragon Ages imo. I'm kind of sad I didn't play a man cause I'd totally gay it up with Dorian. No homo.

Now I'm left romancing Sera, that bird's a right clunge but also proper fit innit. Though so far all our sex is off screen, what a bummer.

Really dude?

-

Restarted for the third time and I'm finally happy. Got a PC and ps4 copy and decided on the PC despite my friends being on ps4. 60fps for this game looks glorious.

Tried a female Qunari Two hand, a Human male Rogue, and finally settled on a Human Female Two Hand. Best character models and the left female voice is my favourite of the four options.

Starting skills:
Grappling Chain
Mighty Blow
Charging Bull
War Cry

Think I'll to for:
2 hand (me)
Sword and Board (Blackwell/Cass)
Rogue range (Varric)
Mage defense and support (Solas)

Bioware's combo systems are always so fluid, and the combat is so weighty. Flitting between tactical and action feels natural and hugely satisfying. They hit the ball into orbit with the combat at least. The dialogue is corny as hell, but the good Bioware kind of corny.

I've needed a fix since ME2, I can see myself playing through this game multiple times. :3

What stuff should I finish first before doing the
empress assassination prevention mission?
I read you miss stuff if you don't do everything before triggering big events.

Sanctuary

I fell like Nightmare is much less of a pain in the ass and more fun if you are over-leveled. I'm almost done with the game and the hardest fight still remains the battle at Haven (the
trebuchet
fight), mostly because it's very difficult even if you're not under-leveled and you don't have your specializations yet.

I still don't agree with this at all. Many of the dragon fights (especially electric) are more difficult than the Haven fight. All you have to do is stop turning the trebuchet every time you see 1-2 dots on the minimap and have an ice staff or two with at least one character with Winter's Chill and possibly Ice Mine. If it's your second playthrough, even on Nightmare there's no excuse to not be prepared. Plus, if you grabbed the potion upgrade by that point, there's 12 more sitting right there in the supply box for later.

Worth unlocking imo are the potions expansion, the various dialog options, the inventory expansions, the focus expansions, Deft Hands, Fine Tools, the Short List. On nightmare I would wait on the dialog expansions until you reach the mid-to-end missions, I unlocked them first and didn't see any options to use them until the mid-to-end missions. The potions and inventory expansions, as well as Deft Hands are much more useful early on in nightmare. Also worth obtaining is the perk that gives you more plants when you harvest.

Inventory is defnitely not worth spending points on early, if at all. Potions (+4), +1 potion slots, the perk that gives you a 10% chance for more herbs when harvesting, Advanced and Master Focus are more important than pretty much anything else. The Deft Hands perk mostly unlocks garbage by the time you have enough points to actually make use of them. There are a few useful items, such as amulets of power and a purple critical chance or damage ring, but not much else early on.

Xeteh

I
Inventory is defnitely not worth spending points on early, if at all. Potions (+4), +1 potion slots, the perk that gives you a 10% chance for more herbs when harvesting, Advanced and Master Focus are more important than pretty much anything else. The Deft Hands perk mostly unlocks garbage by the time you have enough points to actually make use of them. There are a few useful items, such as amulets of power and a purple critical chance or damage ring, but not much else early on.

You can have enough agents to unlock Deft Hands by the time you get a 2nd influence point. There's really no reason not to get it, the Amulet of Power in Crestwood is worth it alone.

Dresden

Nightmare is easy if you understand that stacking defense and armor will make your tank nearly invulnerable. So in the Hinterlands, you head down to Hafter's Woods and the mercenary fortress at level 5 or 6 so you can loot the purple vanguard mail/armor off the merc captain there. Toss in the +30% frontal defense from a shield and voila, it's extremely hard for your tank to die, and as with any game with a rudimentary threat management system, if your tank isn't dying, your party isn't going to die, either.

Xeteh

Nightmare is easy if you understand that stacking defense and armor will make your tank nearly invulnerable. So in the Hinterlands, you head down to Hafter's Woods and the mercenary fortress at level 5 or 6 so you can loot the purple vanguard mail/armor off the merc captain there. Toss in the +30% frontal defense from a shield and voila, it's extremely hard for your tank to die, and as with any game with a rudimentary threat management system, if your tank isn't dying, your pary isn't going to die, either.

Unlocking the Forgotten Oasis and farming up some Paragon's Luster and buying a tier 2 weapon schematic from Val Royeux as soon as possible is the DPS version of that.

Xevren

My nightmare run started off pretty bad, mainly because every rift had nothing but terrors making it awful. Once I got my advanced spec though even they became easy and the game became a breeze.

Dresden

Unlocking the Forgotten Oasis and farming up some Paragon's Luster and buying a tier 2 weapon schematic from Val Royeux as soon as possible is the DPS version of that.

Yep. And for 2h bros the tier 2 engraved greatsword schematic seems to always be there in the forgotten mire, so that's an immediate upgrade as soon as you can unlock that place. Even with it, two hander damage is pretty garbage though.

Xeteh

Yep. And for 2h bros the tier 2 engraved greatsword schematic seems to always be there in the forgotten mire, so that's an immediate upgrade as soon as you can unlock that place. Even with it, two hander damage is pretty garbage though.

I thought it was decent enough with that sword. My problem was once I got to choose a specialization I realized neither Templar or Reaver held any appeal which kind of ruined the character for me.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I still don't agree with this at all. Many of the dragon fights (especially electric) are more difficult than the Haven fight. All you have to do is stop turning the trebuchet every time you see 1-2 dots on the minimap and have an ice staff or two with at least one character with Winter's Chill and possibly Ice Mine. If it's your second playthrough, even on Nightmare there's no excuse to not be prepared. Plus, if you grabbed the potion upgrade by that point, there's 12 more sitting right there in the supply box for later.

It's just my opinion :). I waited on the potion upgrade until after the dialogue upgrades which was a mistake - you don't even get the chance to use a specialized dialogue option until much later in the game. It's only worth picking up early for the XP increase on codexes (which I admit is worth it, but potions are still more useful). And I use trash inventory as a way of building my wallet, so the inventory perks are definitely still worth getting early, imo. I hate juggling inventory myself, so anything that makes it easier is worth investing in early for me. Focus is not worth getting until
after Haven, as you don't even get Focus, IIRC, until you reach Skyhold
(I could be wrong about that, can't remember). Deft Hands is worth getting early as you can use the
Fade Obsidian chest in Redweld
to easily get enough
Fade Obsidian to craft
Guard on Hit armor for all your teammates early on - that's a game changer in and of itself. 10% herbs is just to save time - I still think prioritizing potions and inventory over gathering materials was the right choice for me.

Re difficulty - absolutely none of the dragon fights gave me as much trouble as that Haven fight. And yes, I played that battle as slowly as possible so I wouldn't get overwhelmed by minions. My next playthrough, also on Nightmare, I will try going as fast as possible - someone here posted that they didn't even have to win the boss battle as long as they got to a point where the final cutscene with Corypheus triggers. That Haven battle is just a very weird difficulty spike on Nightmare, and given that it occurs before you can specialize or anyone on your team can specialize, it was a real slog to get through on Nightmare.

Neoweee

What stuff should I finish first before doing the
empress assassination prevention mission?
I read you miss stuff if you don't do everything before triggering big events.

You heard the exact opposite of what is right. You miss nothing by moving the story ahead, or virtually nothing, and nothing of significance.

The only thing that ever matters is the last boss & ending (which it gives you a warning over, ahyhow).

Losing my shit with combat system and tactical camera with my first dragon fight. DA:O (PC) how I miss you.

Which is "first"? Do Crestwood's first. Easier, and without the terrain glitches that make Hinterlands the worst dragon fight, imo.

Crafting material locations: http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafting

Schematic locations: http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Schematics

My plan is to go through the hissing wastes now (level 18), grab that tier 3 greatsword schematic, kill a few more dragons (hinterlands and emerald grave only so far) and make the sword I'll use until the end of the game. People have also noted that you can get loot chests to re-roll contents if you leave at least 1 item in them and return to the area if you're obsessed about making a specific item.

Anyone try the dragon-slaying weapon you can find at the merchant in skyhold? It's pretty expensive but I can see using it as a specialized weapon if the harder dragons are giving me any trouble.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
You heard the exact opposite of what is right. You miss nothing by moving the story ahead, or virtually nothing, and nothing of significance.

Eh is this true, though? I've heard that if you don't finish the
Warden
Mission before the
Empress
Mission you won't be able to do it after coming back to Skyhold from
Halamshiral

Neoweee

Eh is this true, though? I've heard that if you don't finish the
Warden
Mission before the
Empress
Mission you won't be able to do it after coming back to Skyhold from
Halamshiral

That's just completely wrong. Both of those are major, major plot points.

Crafting material locations: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Crafting_Materials

My plan is to go through the hissing wastes now (level 18), grab that tier 3 greatsword schematic, kill a few more dragons (hinterlands and emerald grave only so far) and make the sword I'll use until the end of the game. People have also noted that you can get loot chests to re-roll contents if you leave at least 1 item in them and return to the area if you're obsessed about making a specific item.

Anyone try the dragon-slaying weapon you can find at the merchant in skyhold? It's pretty expensive but I can see using it as a specialized weapon if the harder dragons are giving me any trouble.

THeres a Bear hide... And now I just found out there is a GREAT BEAR hide? Which I presume drops from a great bear?

iE4eUIKeNZuFU.gif

Damn..

Ushay

What do you guys think of this Artificer deal?
I mostly have Varric with Double Daggers + Subterfuge with a little poison for his weapons. What should I focus on next?

I personally use his crossbow Bianca, and rotate between Stealth + Opening Shot them the long shot one.

For Cole who was double daggers I went for Deathblow first. Does great damage especially in a combo.

Just got the game, wondering if there's a way to make the hud togglable via a keybind or something? Really want an easy way to remove hud easily during gameplay since I'm probably gonna be pressing the screenshot button alot

Edit - Found solution

I'd also like to know your solution!

huxley00

Yeah, you'll run into great bears regularly in emerald graves (don't know if they're level sensitive).

I have run into 3 Great Bears at once near the rogue fortress in the southern area of the Hinterlands...then a 4th normal bear came out of nowhere. That has probably been my second hardest fight on nightmare, those bears were going ballistic.

The only thing that ever matters is the last boss & ending (which it gives you a warning over, ahyhow).

Which is "first"? Do Crestwood's first. Easier, and without the terrain glitches that make Hinterlands the worst dragon fight, imo.

Oh so Crestwood is easier.. well just won the one in the Hinderlands. Was extra difficult as I had to bring Iron Bull with me as I wanted that relationship boost (he was useless as he took so much dmg). Damn Cassandra owns.

How do you open the upper half of the western approach?
Also spoiler
Do the Grey Wardens always get wiped out in that war table mission? I feel so bad about that lol.

Neoweee

Oh so Crestwood is easier.. well just won the one in the Hinderlands. Was extra difficult as I had to bring Iron Bull with me as I wanted that relationship boost (he was useless as he took so much dmg). Damn Cassandra owns.

Overall, there are like 7-or-so "tricks"/moves for Dragons, with each dragon having a different combination of them. Crestwood has the benefit that it really only has 1 special move, that its level is low, and there are no terrain issues. Hinterlands has two of the more annoying moves for dragons, and the terrain doesn't play well with tactical mode for really stupid reasons.

jgwhiteus

How do you open the upper half of the western approach?
Also spoiler
Do the Grey Wardens always get wiped out in that war table mission? I feel so bad about that lol.

There are quest markers (similar to a landmark claiming spot) near the northern edges, inside the choking fog, that will make war table operations available to unlock the upper halves. There are two operations I think.

And
I had the Wardens get wiped out too, but if you choose different advisers I think they can make it through it alive. From looking at a war table wiki, it's something like - Cullen deploys in first mission, Leliana scouts in second mission, Leliana scouts an alternate path in the third, Josephine brings in an ally on the fourth, and Cullen orders them to defeat the darkspawn in the final.

There are quest markers (similar to a landmark claiming spot) near the northern edges, inside the choking fog, that will make war table operations available to unlock the upper halves. There are two operations I think.

And
I had the Wardens get wiped out too, but if you choose different advisers I think they can make it through it alive. From looking at a war table wiki, it's something like - Cullen deploys in first mission, Leliana scouts in second mission, Leliana scouts an alternate path in the third, Josephine brings in an ally on the fourth, and Cullen orders them to defeat the darkspawn in the final.
Thanks! Also that kind of sucks then, I kind of wish I chose differently but I have to live with my choices.

Dresden

Crafting material locations: http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafting

The hissing waste gs is alright, but you're restricted to using ore for the most part when crafting it so it's pretty restricted in the kind of stat bonuses you can use. The two hander axe schematic at Suladin Keep is better - same damage range, but it has like two or three slots for cloth, so you can put +attack or heal on kill on it.

The hissing waste gs is alright, but you're restricted to using ore for the most part when crafting it so it's pretty restricted in the kind of stat bonuses you can use. The two hander axe schematic at Suladin Keep is better - same damage range, but it has like two or three slots for cloth, so you can put +attack or heal on kill on it.

I don't see that in the list. Is it a random drop?

Ralemont

not me
What are your general thoughts on Shard Collecting?

I think finding the shards through the Ocularium should be all you have to do, then Inquisition grunts come and pick them up off-screen or something. It's really annoying to have to run back through areas I've already cleared of objectives just for shards.

Top Bottom