• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Traffcore

So I just got my 3 specialization quests. Is this the part where I have to choose one of them for completion?

The game does not tell whatsoever...

Holy hell, I finally beat my first damn dragon. Only took me 49 hours.
I finally manned up enough to take on my first dragon yesterday too! I went for the one in Crestwood and it was actually pretty easy. Got myself and Blackwall right up to it bashing away while Vivienne and Sera ranged it.

Which dragon should I take on next, Gaf? I'm level 18.

Footos22

I finally manned up enough to take on my first dragon yesterday too! I went for the one in Crestwood and it was actually pretty easy. Got myself and Blackwall right up to it bashing away while Vivienne and Sera ranged it.

Hinterlands, easier then some say. when he flys up you can just hide under his perch and let your mages get free hits on his head. Hide under his other perch when he goes over there and kill his thrall. then just go up top and finish him off. actually had a helper on that fight because of cassandras kill the rogue Templar mission.

Hinterlands, easier then some say. when he flys up you can just hide under his perch and let your mages get free hits on his head. Hide under his other perch when he goes over there and kill his thrall. then just go up top and finish him off. actually had a helper on that fight because of cassandras kill the rogue Templar mission.
Great, thanks for the tips! I'll go for this one too

Dmax3901

So after doing Solas' quest in Exalted Plains I jumped over to check out Emprise Du Lion. Now this is more like it! Beautiful, smaller in comparison but it feels far more lived in. It feels like I have a reason to be there.

Exalted Plains really is the worst zone.

ElyrionX

I enjoyed Origins and never really played 2 but I am a huge fan of Bioware's older stuff such as BG2. Should I pick this up? If so, PS4 or X1?

I enjoyed Origins and never really played 2 but I am a huge fan of Bioware's older stuff such as BG2. Should I pick this up? If so, PS4 or X1?

Absolutely, the game has some (serious) flaws and i will never understand why they just cant bring back the combat tactics systems of Origins (Inquisition stripped it down to some very basic tactical options), but its still really really good and fun game. GOTY contender for me...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Western Approach or Hinterlands, both are fire dragons so gear yourself up

also, anyone found Vinsomer to be the most difficult to kill? I sweat not even the last one on EDL took me so much effort, had to wait until level 23 or so to kill the bitch, and she still was a bitch!

Killzig

Any chance this is coming to steam with a game of the year version?

So after doing Solas' quest in Exalted Plains I jumped over to check out Emprise Du Lion. Now this is more like it! Beautiful, smaller in comparison but it feels far more lived in. It feels like I have a reason to be there.

Exalted Plains really is the worst zone.

I thought Hissing Wastes was the worst zone. I mean I really liked the tombs, but the place feels kind of random with very little connection to any of the rest of the game.

erawsd

Sure, its a fun game. However, dont go in expecting anything like the older stuff. There is barely any familiar or similar elements left compared to those old IE games.

Trickster

Hey guys, I've been trying to get the stutter during cutscenes removed. I've tried applying that "-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+" line both via origin, and via the shortcut. Neither option seem to have really worked, characters are still pretty damn stuttery, though I guess the stutter doesn't really seem to effect things other than the characters?

You'd like this. It's more like Origins than 2. Also go with the PS4. It's native 1080p (compared to 900p on X1) abd it runs a bit better too.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Things I'm loving at the moment:

The Emerald Graves - Soooo beautiful and the mini-stories there are great, tons of loot too.

Dragon Hunting + The required gear up/requisite missions before facing each dragon... I'm up to the L17 Emerald Graves one (doing them in order) - My team is all L17 too..... my first 'not overleveled' Dragon fight (on Hard) coming up, hold me GAF.

Iron Bull+Cass Banter and Blackwall+Dorian Banter... so good.

The Books - I swear, they are god-tier compared to Origins/DA2's lore codex finds.

Blazini

Neo Member
LMAO I havent left the HL i thought I needed to complete everything there... I will be leaving next time i load the game

Spent most of my session last night exploring the Exalted Plains. Here's two pics I snapped last night that look rather nice in my opinion.

rPjb.jpg

tPjb.jpg

PC version. Can't believe how massive this game is.

I sometimes feel the game is a bit too massive. I had amassed something like 70 power so i unlocked a whole bunch of areas at once and now im kinda feeling that i've got too many area's to go too.

I kinda get the feeling that Bioware didnt intend for the player to do every single area in a single playthrough.

Wag

I still haven't been able to kill that dragon yet in the Hinterlands even though I'm level 14 and it's level 12.:(

I sometimes feel the game is a bit too massive. I had amassed something like 70 power so i unlocked a whole bunch of areas at once and now im kinda feeling that i've got too many area's to go too.

I kinda get the feeling that Bioware didnt intend for the player to do every single area in a single playthrough.

I haven't even entered three or four of them and I've beaten the game, so that's probably a safe assumption.

Still had waaay too much power, as well.

Begaria

I still haven't been able to kill that dragon yet in the Hinterlands even though I'm level 14 and it's level 12.:(

I found the Hinterlands dragon to be the hardest. You have to traverse through a small section before even getting to the Dragon while it's pelting you with fireballs, dealing with enemies along the way, and it looks like you can't save when you get to the end. It's also likely going to be a lot of people's first fight and it throws a bunch of tricks at you that you aren't prepared for such as calling in adds, flying out of range, and moving around on the battleground. Even around level 14, you might not have a full repertoire of skills/spells, and may have half decent equipment but not much Fire resistance.

Anywho, I beat the game last night and saved right at 101 hours on the dot. Pretty good game, though I could nit pick a lot things mechanically and story wise, also I fully cleared all of the areas before hopping into the final story mission. I half-way understood the ending (I lucked out in getting/reading certain codex entries in the Temple of Mythal and brought the right characters along), though I still had to look a few things in the codex and a really good Kotaku article on it. Even then, I still didn't fully understand the motivations behind everything. I guess that's what DLC is for in this day and age.

I haven't even entered three or four of them and I've beaten the game, so that's probably a safe assumption.

Still had waaay too much power, as well.

That's one of my nitpicks: I would've liked something else to do with the Power you've accumulated. The easiest thing I think they could do with it is to have Josephine convert it into Influence for Inquisition levels. I ended the game with something like 220+ Power.

Why can't I seem to modify all armor that has slots for it?
I look at my party and see that they have a lot of open slots for arms or legs but when I go to modify my armor only 1 or 2 will show up.

BlazeVoi

Banned
I look at my party and see that they have a lot of open slots for arms or legs but when I go to modify my armor only 1 or 2 will show up.

The armor modification system is stupid.

You have to press up or down to cycle through your characters until you reach the one who is wearing the armor you want to modify or it wont show up.

Do you actually have the proper armour upgrades to modify them with? (e.g. light legs/arms vs. heavy legs/arms) Without anything to use, the modification menu will be red.

Another thing: ensure you're selecting the proper character if its currently equipped.

Unfortunately, the menus in DAI are nothing if not cumbersome.

That's one of my nitpicks: I would've liked something else to do with the Power you've accumulated. The easiest thing I think they could do with it is to have Josephine convert it into Influence for Inquisition levels. I ended the game with something like 220+ Power.

If enemy raids on Inquisition territory were once a thing I imagine that it would've been a reason to spend power, beyond simply unlocking story missions.

Akai

You have to press up or down to cycle through your characters until you reach the one who is wearing the armor you want to modify or it wont show up.

It's beyond frustrating, too, thanks to the fact that the character select feels random at times. I'll accidentally pass over someone, then go back, but find that someone else has replaced them. I really wish that the character select was a list that you picked from...

It's beyond frustrating, too, thanks to the fact that the character select feels random at times. I'll accidentally pass over someone, then go back, but find that someone else has replaced them. I really wish that the character select was a list that you picked from...

That would be anti-controller. Like many of the design decisions that would benefit the game...

Begaria

Don't even get me started on the menu system in this game. I could rant for pages on end on how much Bioware fucked it up. It's a god damn nightmare trying to traverse them normally, and it's like trying to battle through the apocalypse armed with a bent spoon and cracked pot lid when it comes to the crafting system.

Just some nitpicks of mine when it comes to the menus (PC version):

1. Why can I hit "I" to go into my inventory but not be able to hit "P" to go into my character sheets from the inventory system (and vice versa)? I have to quit out either menu and then press the corresponding key to get into the other. So dumb.

2. In the inventory menu, it splits out the different weapon (one handed/two handed/staff/etc), and armor (light/medium/heavy/helm) as well as having an "all" category, same for accessories. This is fine. Not bad. Why is it then when I actually go to a merchant and try to buy/sell weapon and armor that there's just an "all" category and no different categories like in the inventory? REALLY dumb.

3. I mentioned earlier that traversing the menus are a nightmare, and they are. I found some things easier to traverse with the keyboard, and some other things easier to traverse with the mouse. For example, it's easier to scroll through your character list with the mouse using the character chooser in the top right of the screen, but I found it easier to traverse the crafting menus within a category using the keyboard. It can get confusing.

4. Why are research materials in the same category as valuables? Too many times when I went to "sell all" at a merchant for valuables, I would get rid of needed research materials. Sure, I could've just went to Skyhold and handed them in first, but sometimes you're not afforded this luxury if you're out in the field, overflowing with items, and need to dump them at a merchant. There should be a separate category for them.

I better stop there. I could go on and on about this and I feel I'd just get into rambling territory. I feel modders would've had this shit fixed within the first week if there was true modding for this game.

Ah crap there it is.
Thanks guys

Also I think I missed Iron Bull. If im at Skyhold do I have chance to get him still?

Ah crap there it is.
Thanks guys

Also I think I missed Iron Bull. If im at Skyhold do I have chance to get him still?

You should have a quest about it directing you
to the Storm Coast
. (There might be a war table mission to initiate the quest - I can't remember offhand.)

Once you're there it will be a two minute walk to recruit him.

Last achievement left to beat the game on nightmare. I finished my first play through on hard with a dual wield rogue. With assassin spec his burst was insane. Most dragons went down in 5-10 min and I never had to use tactical camera. But I hear nightmare is much more harder.
What's the most optimal class for that mode? The reason I ask because I want to do a quick run just to get the achievement. I have done mostly everything in my first play through. Took me about 85 hours.

Last achievement left to beat the game on nightmare. I finished my first play through on hard with a dual wield rogue. With assassin spec his burst was insane. Most dragons went down in 5-10 min and I never had to use tactical camera. But I hear nightmare is much more harder.
What's the most optimal class for that mode? The reason I ask because I want to do a quick run just to get the achievement. I have done mostly everything in my first play through. Took me about 85 hours.

Knight-enchanter.

You should have a quest about it directing you
to the Storm Coast
. (There might be a war table mission to initiate the quest - I can't remember offhand.)

Once you're there it will be a two minute walk to recruit him.

Excellent thanks.

For my tank I assume I want to unlock every ability that basically increases his maximum guard correct?

huxley00

Seriously WTF is up with that trebuchet fight? Can I level up and come back later or do the enemies scale? I'm level 10 on Nightmare.

I got stomped at level 8 on nightmare. Came back at level 10 and had a better time (it was sitll tough but doable).

I used a tank and 3 mages with as much crowd control spells as possible + barrier. I kept them on the side of the trebuchet which forced enemies to come at me from only one direction...that helped a lot.

Once the final boss came out, I ran back to town and disengaged the enemy, came back out and fought them in groups of 2-3 and took out the boss 1 on 1.

Also, as to potion upgrades...I can see why people go for that buff, but I went through this ok with standard amount of potions and no extra grenade slot. I'd rather have the ability to unlock doors early, I just can't stand not knowing what is behind a locked door (especially if its lore or loot related). Deft Hands comes first!

So did anyone find Pommel Strike almost completely worthless? I mean, it's strong.. but the hit detection is so jacked that over half the time it whiffs, resulting in a complete waste of an ability.
Excellent thanks.

For my tank I assume I want to unlock every ability that basically increases his maximum guard correct?

Maximum guard increases are only helpful if your tank can keep it long enough to get there.

Once you have the taunt(s) and guard-generating moves, focusing on some offense will help to keep attention on them. Stick to the trees, but don't neglect offensive abilities.

I got stomped at level 8 on nightmare. Came back at level 10 and had a better time (it was sitll tough but doable).

I used a tank and 3 mages with as much crowd control spells as possible + barrier. I kept them on the side of the trebuchet which forced enemies to come at me from only one direction...that helped a lot.

Once the final boss came out, I ran back to town and disengaged the enemy, came back out and fought them in groups of 2-3 and took out the boss 1 on 1.

Also, as to potion upgrades...I can see why people go for that buff, but I went through this ok with standard amount of potions and no extra grenade slot. I'd rather have the ability to unlock doors early, I just can't stand not knowing what is behind a locked door (especially if its lore or loot related). Deft Hands comes first!
Keep the boss occupied with a tank and focus on firing the trebuchet. Firing it will end the mission, allowing you to skip the boss almost entirely.

Asbear

Banned
Spent most of my session last night exploring the Exalted Plains. Here's two pics I snapped last night that look rather nice in my opinion.

rPjb.jpg

tPjb.jpg

PC version. Can't believe how massive this game is.

I kidna do like some of the content in Exalted Plains but for some reason the soundtrack that's "supposed" to sound eerie just drives me nuts and makes me feel nauseous. I don't think it's a fitting soundtrack to have for a sandbox area in which you spend 5+ hours.

Ralemont

not me
I kidna do like some of the content in Exalted Plains but for some reason the soundtrack that's "supposed" to sound eerie just drives me nuts and makes me feel nauseous. I don't think it's a fitting soundtrack to have for a sandbox area in which you spend 5+ hours.

I only noticed it if I stopped and listened for a bit. I thought it gave the zone a unique feel but it was pretty disconcerting whenever you noticed it. I thought that was a good thing, though. Reminded me of the beginning for There Will Be Blood, except more subtle.

JeffG

Speaking of sound tracks. I just had to buy the theme song from iTunes.

huxley00

So did anyone find Pommel Strike almost completely worthless? I mean, it's strong.. but the hit detection is so jacked that over half the time it whiffs, resulting in a complete waste of an ability.

Maximum guard increases are only helpful if your tank can keep it long enough to get there.

Once you have the taunt(s) and guard-generating moves, focusing on some offense will help to keep attention on them. Stick to the trees, but don't neglect offensive abilities.

Keep the boss occupied with a tank and focus on firing the trebuchet. Firing it will end the mission, allowing you to skip the boss almost entirely.

If I would have died, you can damn well bet I would have done that, whatever it takes to get that mission done and over with!

Awesome thank you.

I got tired of seeing my inquisitor and crews faces so i turned the hide helmets switch off... And because of that I just found out the helmets equiped are pretty nice.

I got tired of seeing my inquisitor and crews faces so i turned the hide helmets switch off... And because of that I just found out the helmets equiped are pretty nice.

I call BS!

I've found like 2 decent looking "helmets" in this game. One of them being the hood.

Most just look kinda awful (and usually way too big).

Also, I'm not sure if anyone saw this, so I wanted to post it again.

The cheat engine table over here has a script which allows you to wear whatever you want in Skyhold.

Also, I recently took a bunch of high-res screenshots for PC Gamer. The gallery (with some text explaining things) is up here.

For the poster who asked about the 8 abilities for KE:

1. Energy Blade
2. Fade Cloak
3. Fade Step
4. Slowdown Bubble Thing (forget the name)

5. Mark of the Rift
6. Fire Mine
7. Energy Barrage
8. Resurgance

I'm level 16 and most of my fights feel extremely unfair. As soon as I see a group of enemies I drop fire mine on them, primes after a few seconds, does 300% weapon damage. Then I cast and throw Energy Barrage, and I fade step into the fray and throw down the slowdown bubble thing, fade cloak, and proceed to annihilate with energy blade. I use Mark of the Rift only as an extra damage dealer against large enemies like Dragons, and Resurgance only if 2 or more teammates fall (I never fall and barely take damage as a KE).

Add in passives like Clean Burn from the fire tree, and that passive in electricity tree where damage increases for each successful cast, and the passive where you generate barrier for each successful spell in KE tree, and you are basically unstoppable.

My favorite tree is the electricity tree, I might respec to take most of that tree with static cage because I really enjoy that ability. Fire mine might be a tad overkill as a KE haha.

Kimaka

Now these are glitches I can get behind:
Varric is easily amused.
NpomwN2.png

ly0zAxk.png

sedioaH.png

Cullen performing his dance number for the Sing-Quisition
0EfQTcL.png

Finished Here Lies the Abyss.
That dragon coming out of nowhere and eating Clarel had me laughing for like five minutes straight.

I chose Hawke over Alistair. Hawke's story was done and I felt Alistair still had more to do. She also had something personal against Corypheus. I don't exactly what since I didn't play any DA2 dlc, but she sounded pretty angry at him. Sorry, Varric, but Hawke is with her family now. :)

Solas still hates me.
I chose to keep the Wardens and took another large disapproval hit from him.
It's going to take a while to recover from that, if I can. I hoped it would be like a Cassandra or Dorian situation where we disagree on a lot of issues, but we're still friends. Instead, he hasn't said a word beyond plot related conversations. I will make him my friend if its the last thing I do, damnit.

I didn't expect to like Dorian as much as I do. Despite being a Tal-Vashoth who is ambivalent and suspicious towards mages, the guy from the evil mage empire ended up as my bff. I can cry into his arms once Cassandra ultimately rebuffs my advances.

Blarg

Neo Member

Hm. I've been favoring a balanced party but maybe that's doing me in. Is there anywhere to change party during the mission? I made several saves throughout and would prefer not to go all the way back to the beginning.

ultron87

4. Why are research materials in the same category as valuables? Too many times when I went to "sell all" at a merchant for valuables, I would get rid of needed research materials. Sure, I could've just went to Skyhold and handed them in first, but sometimes you're not afforded this luxury if you're out in the field, overflowing with items, and need to dump them at a merchant. There should be a separate category for them.

Crap. Before I started playing I'd read somewhere that valuables = junk. So I've definitely sold most of this stuff.

Top Bottom