• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Tabby

Crap. Before I started playing I'd read somewhere that valuables = junk. So I've definitely sold most of this stuff.
When you first TP to Haven, the vendor is closer to where you spawn than where the research table so even though I know sometimes I just go "fuck it".
I doubt the gain is that much anyways and I literally just ignore requisitions.

is 2H Warrior just a bad class in the current version of the game right now?

I really like it after the champion specialization. After taking both levels of walking fortress, I can basically solo a dragon at my level or less on normal as long as my party gets him to about half health before they all go down. (some dragons leave for air attacks and give some time to resuscitate followers, others don't). That's with just the standard healing potions and no equipment targeted to the dragon's vulnerabilities. I waltzed up to the Emerald Graves dragon at level 17 (a level 17 dragon) just to see how hard he was and ending up beating him first encounter because my warrior is so hard to take down.

Otherwise, you normally only hear about Knight Enchanters or crazy bow damage to solo a dragon.

Cullen performing his dance number for the Sing-Quisition
0EfQTcL.png
Bwaha, this definitely tickled my fancy. He does have a great singing voice.

Just bring Solas through any Veil-related sidequests as well as when you collect elven artifacts and you should be fiiiine.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Holy crap rifts are hard on Nightmare. Those terror demons are cheap as fuck. I've been trying to avoid them.

Once I realized how important Dispel is in closing the rifts, I ended up approaching rifts with two mages in my party and one tank (I was the rogue). Closing them became much easier after that - the rogue waits for the other party members to attack/distract the initial demons and then starts to disrupt the rift. The first wave is killed and then you switch to tactical view to have the two mages dispel the second (or third waves, if you go that far) of demons as they are spawning (if you wait until after they spawn, dispel won't work). Playing on nightmare this process made rifts much easier to deal with.

(Note, the mages obviously can't dispel all the demons in the subsequent waves, but they can cut down on the strongest demons (denoted by the brightness of the spawn site, if I understand correctly) and also the number.)

Okay, I pulled the trigger on this game last night. $40 from Best Buy seemed like a decent price point and a Jimquisition video of all things convinced me I wanted it. Planning on creating an origin account and putting together a world view or whatever to import some data.

Hopefully this works out.

huxley00

Hm. I've been favoring a balanced party but maybe that's doing me in. Is there anywhere to change party during the mission? I made several saves throughout and would prefer not to go all the way back to the beginning.

No, unfortunately not :/, I failed the mission probably 12 times in previous attempts. With this party build and strategy I got it on my first try, might save you time in the long run.

Blarg

Neo Member
Once I realized how important Dispel is in closing the rifts, I ended up approaching rifts with two mages in my party and one tank (I was the rogue). Closing them became much easier after that - the rogue waits for the other party members to attack/distract the initial demons and then starts to disrupt the rift. The first wave is killed and then you switch to tactical view to have the two mages dispel the second (or third waves, if you go that far) of demons as they are spawning (if you wait until after they spawn, dispel won't work). Playing on nightmare this process made rifts much easier to deal with.

(Note, the mages obviously can't dispel all the demons in the subsequent waves, but they can cut down on the strongest demons (denoted by the brightness of the spawn site, if I understand correctly) and also the number.)

Wow. I need to try this dispel trick. Never even thought of that. Although I haven't had too much trouble with terrors as my character warrior - with hookshot/shield bash/charge you can basically keep terrors on their ass the whole fight. Also, combat roll is great for escaping their AoE and recovering from the effects.

emag

Otherwise, you normally only hear about Knight Enchanters or crazy bow damage to solo a dragon.

S&B warriors can easily solo dragons as well -- it just takes a while as they don't do much damage (on the other hand, dragons can't hurt them, either).

Wizman23

Banned
I sometimes feel the game is a bit too massive. I had amassed something like 70 power so i unlocked a whole bunch of areas at once and now im kinda feeling that i've got too many area's to go too.

I kinda get the feeling that Bioware didnt intend for the player to do every single area in a single playthrough.

I'm 100% completely overwhelmed with this game and I just got my horse. I have like 24 power and have done nothing with it. Maybe I should ignore all this side stuff and just start the main story

zkorejo

So.. are Cowl schematics only for mages or can my warrior wear it too? I have a white cowl I equipped on my warrior but I was hoping to find a schematic and craft a better cowl. If its not going to work with Warrior then I would basically be wasting my time looking for schematics.

I'm 100% completely overwhelmed with this game and I just got my horse. I have like 24 power and have done nothing with it. Maybe I should ignore all this side stuff and just start the main story

Yes.

Or at least go somewhere else. The Fallow Mire is one of my favorite locations in the game and can be accessed fairly early. The map is actually pretty linear (with some branching areas), but the atmosphere is great. Especially towards the end.

Bessy67

The Templar's Spell Purge ability also works, so with 2 mages and a templar rifts become really easy.

S&B warriors can easily solo dragons as well -- it just takes a while as they don't do much damage (on the other hand, dragons can't hurt them, either).

Yeah, just pointing out walking fortress can make you pretty damn tanky. With things like mighty blow and whirlwind attack, you can lay on damage fairly quickly too.

So. Qunari are able to preview helmets with bits specifically cut out to make room for the horns, no clipping or anything, but they can't actually wear them. What is this?

Jisgsaw

Damagewise, I don't think anything tops dual wielding rogue, even without the Tempest + Thousand Cuts glitch?

I clearly remember doing 10k+ critical damage per hit with deathblow on a downed dragon, and that was without the best daggers...
I respeced from an archer to dual wielding around level 11, I clearly did more damage with my dual daggers.

karasu

This games script has such weird omissions.
I get thrown through time and I find Leiliana ,who looks like a fucking zombie here, and no one even reacts to her haggard appearance.
My inquisitor instead dryly asks questions about other things like it's business as usual.

Damagewise, I don't think anything tops dual wielding rogue, even without the Tempest + Thousand Cuts glitch?

I clearly remember doing 10k+ critical damage per hit with deathblow on a downed dragon, and that was without the best daggers...
I respeced from an archer to dual wielding around level 11, I clearly did more damage with my dual baggers.

Yeah, I saw those videos - crazy stuff. My mighty blows with just a dropped loot weapon are around 1.5K for crits. Whirlwind attacks do multiple 120ish damages per second. Not optimized at all but still fairly straight forward with walking fortress.

Neoweee

Stolen from Reddit:

Most characters have great scenes that can trigger if your approval with them is cratered, and may leave your party on the spot.

BIG, GIANT, SPOILERS: Most of these trigger only in the last quarter of the game and reference a bunch of plot points.

Blackwall - http://youtu.be/Aq-E965L-NM
Cole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvEh3P__RI4
Dorian - http://youtu.be/6sqb30p-3Pk
Solas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ4OkZun3VA
Cassandra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAZOvgKcwk8

Holy crap rifts are hard on Nightmare. Those terror demons are cheap as fuck. I've been trying to avoid them.

So I've just gotten to Skyhold so no specialization for my Inquisitor yet, but I did clear out all the rifts in the Hinterlands, Fallow Mire, Storm Coast, and the Oasis before progressing to that point and it definitely felt like I'd hit certain rifts that were just level walls i.e. they became easier once I advanced to the next level even though my stats didn't really increase.

I'm playing a dual-wielding Rouge w/ a lot of points in Subterfuge. I go invisible and move towards the rift and let my party aggro the creatures so that when I start closing the rift they won't take a shot at me to interrupt the processes. Most of those rift creatures (terrors, demons, shades) are susceptible to Sleep so I use Knockout powder if one gets too close. I also completely ignore the OT's title and tried to grind as much experience as I can out of stuff before moving on with the main story missions because Nightmare can be pretty unforgiving.

Crap. Before I started playing I'd read somewhere that valuables = junk. So I've definitely sold most of this stuff.

I just keep all valuables that have flavor text attached as they can likely be turned in at some point.

Jisgsaw

This games script has such weird omissions.
I get thrown through time and I find Leiliana ,who looks like a fucking zombie here, and no one even reacts to her haggard appearance.
My inquisitor instead dryly asks questions about other things like it's business as usual.

Heh?
I seem to remember I had a few dialogue choices about that.
Also, the dialogues heard from the guard before (or was it a codex parchement?) talk about Leliana being tortured, so I wasn't too much surprised to see her like that.

Ricker

I finally get the side quest to get the red Lyrium's on the north west part of Stormcoast,I go in there ,do the quest and all but there is a locked door that tells me I need a Templar key or something to open,and there's the last 3 Lyrium in there...where do I get the key...? should it of dropped off one of the mobs in there...? I hate stuff like this...

Also there is a stupid shard in Exalted Plains,sitting on a roof of a small destroyed house and I see no way to reach it...getting a little tired of those collect-a-thons now,I think once I finish the Dalish Favor quest in there I will do the main story...still have Emerald Graves to do and Emprise du Lion and the Haste something area to explore...

And its not a Rouge,its a Rogue for crying out loud lol...

Ralemont

not me
Also there is a stupid shard in Exalted Plains,sitting on a roof of a small destroyed house and I see no way to reach it...getting a little tired of those collect-a-thons now,I think once I finish the Dalish Favor quest in there I will do the main story...still have Emerald Graves to do and Emprise du Lion and the Haste something area to explore...

There's like a broken wall or something you can run up. It was a bitch but you can do it.

I finally get the side quest to get the red Lyrium's on the north west part of Stormcoast,I go in there ,do the quest and all but there is a locked door that tells me I need a Templar key or something to open,and there's the last 3 Lyrium in there...where do I get the key...? should it of dropped off one of the mobs in there...? I hate stuff like this....

Check a body near the boats in that area.

Wulfram

Heh?
I seem to remember I had a few dialogue choices about that.
Also, the dialogues heard from the guard before (or was it a codex parchement?) talk about Leliana being tortured, so I wasn't too much surprised to see her like that.

The codex (or whatever, some text that comes up when you click on it) says that they've been using her blight resistant skin and blood to keep Alexius' son alive. Well, hers and other peoples, but hers lasts best. Which probably helps explain why she's quite so keen on killing Felix

Though I do find the lack of dialogue on that a little odd. I half suspect they added that texture in following the fan reaction to the trailer that showed her looking oddly perfect post torture. Though the official story was that her appearance was a spoiler

Grinchy

Banned
So. Qunari are able to preview helmets with bits specifically cut out to make room for the horns, no clipping or anything, but they can't actually wear them. What is this?

I saw someone mention earlier that later in the game you can make armor that's not class-specific. So like a warrior could wear light armor.

Maybe you can make armor later on that's not race-specific too? I'm only guessing here, I have no idea.

Ricker

hows the ps4 version quality wise?

Some area's have some pretty mean pop-up issues(Western Approach for example) but besides that,its pretty solid...only crashes I had was getting kicked out of the game with a PSN error message,after the results of a Multiplayer game...

And thanks guys for the answers before,I will try that.

Was finishing off the Hissing Wastes quests today and thought I may as well try my hand at the dragon there (called Sandy something). Well, all I can say is ha! It absolutely destroyed my party and I could barely scrape any health off it. Looks like I'll be coming back for that one

Jisgsaw

I finally get the side quest to get the red Lyrium's on the north west part of Stormcoast,I go in there ,do the quest and all but there is a locked door that tells me I need a Templar key or something to open,and there's the last 3 Lyrium in there...where do I get the key...? should it of dropped off one of the mobs in there...? I hate stuff like this...

Teleport back at the nearest camp. Travel back to the door, on the way a new corpse will apear near two boats, with the key on it.

Also there is a stupid shard in Exalted Plains,sitting on a roof of a small destroyed house and I see no way to reach it...

If it's the one I'm thinking about, you have to do a bit of (tricky) climbing through the destroyed house right beside the one you want to climb on.
That's how I did it at least.

Kenaras

I really like it after the champion specialization. After taking both levels of walking fortress, I can basically solo a dragon at my level or less on normal as long as my party gets him to about half health before they all go down. (some dragons leave for air attacks and give some time to resuscitate followers, others don't). That's with just the standard healing potions and no equipment targeted to the dragon's vulnerabilities. I waltzed up to the Emerald Graves dragon at level 17 (a level 17 dragon) just to see how hard he was and ending up beating him first encounter because my warrior is so hard to take down.

Two-Handed Champion was my spec for my first playthrough, and I found it an incredibly fun and versatile spec.

LifeLike

This game is so good. I'm still in the damn Hinterlands, is it getting any better after that?
So far I'm impressed with the quality of the game (ps4).

Jisgsaw

Seeing most of the posts on abilities, I suspect no one plays with activated friendly fire... ?
I turned it off after 60+ hours, it was a bit frustrating: it's impossible to play with a 2H warrior + another melee fighter, as the warrior will always friendly fire the other melee fighter.
Most of mages spells are AoE, so also not a good idea to use them.

Seeing most of the posts on abilities, I suspect no one plays with activated friendly fire... ?
I turned it off after 60+ hours, it was a bit frustrating: it's impossible to play with a 2H warrior + another melee fighter, as the warrior will always friendly fire the other melee fighter.

Absolutely not. I'm extremely thankful that Bioware didn't include some sadistic trophy connected to it. Nightmare mode is plenty.

I don't see a reason to. The game doesn't give you enough granular control or predictability of position to do friendly fire right. And in pen & paper, friendly fire from melee isn't really a thing anyway (at least not in 3.5 PFS).

For AoE, there are typically items that allow mages to eliminate allies from the affects, so just assume your mages all have that :)

patchday

Wow made it to the part where you have to turn the trebechet right before 'The Elder One' appears. Man as a L8 that fight seemed really tough! Finally come up with a good plan and prevailed after 2-3 deaths

I call BS!

I've found like 2 decent looking "helmets" in this game. One of them being the hood.

Most just look kinda awful (and usually way too big).

Also, I'm not sure if anyone saw this, so I wanted to post it again.

The cheat engine table over here has a script which allows you to wear whatever you want in Skyhold.

Also, I recently took a bunch of high-res screenshots for PC Gamer. The gallery (with some text explaining things) is up here.

pretty pics

Jisgsaw

I don't see a reason to.

Well, I skipped DA2 and expected/wanted to play Inquisition like Origins. I also played with tactical cam only for quite some time.

Boy was I wrong, eh?
On the downside, the game was pretty challenging on hard + FF + tactical cam only. The game became a breath after I switched to full action...

Begaria

Stolen from Reddit:

Most characters have great scenes that can trigger if your approval with them is cratered, and may leave your party on the spot.

BIG, GIANT, SPOILERS: Most of these trigger only in the last quarter of the game and reference a bunch of plot points.

Blackwall - http://youtu.be/Aq-E965L-NM
Cole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvEh3P__RI4
Dorian - http://youtu.be/6sqb30p-3Pk
Solas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ4OkZun3VA
Cassandra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAZOvgKcwk8

Ha. Fantastic. I got on everyone's good side by the end of the game. I love the Approval/Disapproval system in DA:I.

Top Bottom