• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Shahadan

Sorry to intrude, I'd like to know if I can buy it on say, origin.ru using a vpn ?
I did it once on the mexican origin for another game but I don't know it it is different since this time it'd not be in US dollars.

22€ after conversion is tempting.

I assume I can still play in english.

Killer

Banned
Cassandra romance quest still bugged on X1 :/.

btw is the person doing Cassandra's VA is the same as KAT from Halo:Reach? she even look like her.

Yeul

Sorry to intrude, I'd like to know if I can buy it on say, origin.ru using a vpn ?
I did it once on the mexican origin for another game but I don't know it it is different since this time it'd not be in US dollars.

22€ after conversion is tempting.

I assume I can still play in english.

I believe it's Russia and Poland that don't allow you to play in English after purchasing from their store, unfortunately. I could be wrong though.

Man the Emerald Graves has to be my favorite region so far. It's so beautiful and I got into so much shit in an hour.
I exterminated a local militia, closed a bunch of fade rifts, just massacred five bears and a bunch of autumn rams, and got into a royal rumble with red templars, three giants, wolves, a bear, and a couple of brontos but I dipped when a dragon show up.
Blackwall didn't even flinch throughout all of that.

I'm enjoying my rogue a lot more after respec-ing him into an archer with points in the assassin, sabotage and subterfuge trees. I originally wanted to be an archer rogue but I changed my mind and went dual wielding in the beginning because I wanted to be a DPS beast.

Shahadan

I believe it's Russia and Poland that don't allow you to play in English after purchasing from their store, unfortunately. I could be wrong though.

Oh well, after googling it it seems you're right. Thanks, without you I would have made a huge mistake :p

I should have known something like this was implemented.

NeoGAF is hardly a representative population.
But I'd also guess it's doing pretty good, even some casual gamers colleagues picked it up.

Very true. I am just trying to find a reason to believe it is getting the sales it deserves. Love this game so much.

I am about eight hours in, and I am scared to leave the Hinterlands. It is my home now.

Haha I feel you bro but leave! You will get burned out I promise go do some main quests.

So maybe I'm just dumb but why exactly are people saying Dispel is so crucial for tackling rifts? All it does is remove beneficial effects from enemies and hostile effects from allies right?

Yeul

Oh well, after googling it it seems you're right. Thanks, without you I would have made a huge mistake :p

I should have known something like this was implemented.

No problem!! Glad I could help :)

I am about eight hours in, and I am scared to leave the Hinterlands. It is my home now.

I know there is so much to do but definitely leave! There are many more interesting locations to visit as you level up! I've played so much of the Hinterlands that now every time I start a new game I cringe a little because I just want to get out of there lol.

Sanctuary

Well, I skipped DA2 and expected/wanted to play Inquisition like Origins. I also played with tactical cam only for quite some time.

Boy was I wrong, eh?
On the downside, the game was pretty challenging on hard + FF + tactical cam only. The game became a breath after I switched to full action...

It's because the "tactical" view in this game is pure garbage and needs to be able to zoom out three times as much at least. You almost barely see more than two of your party members at any given time, if even that.

Xeteh

It's because the "tactical" view in this game is pure garbage and needs to be able to zoom out three times as much at least. You almost barely see more than two of your party members at any given time, if even that.

My favorite part is how whenever you switch characters the camera zoooooms on top of them all the way away from the enemies so you have to scroll it back each time. Its fun and never gets old!

jgwhiteus

So maybe I'm just dumb but why exactly are people saying Dispel is so crucial for tackling rifts? All it does is remove beneficial effects from enemies and hostile effects from allies right?

You can use it on enemies before they materialize to erase them preemptively so you don't have to fight them. It really only works on the second wave though (you won't have a chance to use it when you first approach the rift), and you only have a short timeframe to use it.

It's useful if you're lucky enough to dispel some of the more annoying enemies (e.g. Desire Demons), but sometimes you only end up dispelling wraiths. Also, sometimes you're lucky and enemies are close enough together that you can take out more than one with a single spell, but often they're spread out so it only works on one enemy.

Cast it on top of spawn points, it removes the enemy from spawning during a rift fight.

EDIT: I have Dispel, plus Cassandra's templar skill, so rifts are obscenely easy.

Neoweee

Between Phase 1 and Phase 2 of rift fights, the spots where Demons will spawn glow green. Dispel those area and the enemies will instead instantly die.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Haha I feel you bro but leave! You will get burned out I promise go do some main quests.

I know there is so much to do but definitely leave! There are many more interesting locations to visit as you level up! I've played so much of the Hinterlands that now every time I start a new game I cringe a little because I just want to get out of there lol.

Haha. . .thanks. I have collected about 6 power; I may yet gain the courage to leave the Hinterlands.

Jag

I took everyone's advice and left the Hinterlands, except that I ended up in The Forbidden Oasis. What a drab, boring, uninteresting area that is basically one big jumping puzzle. It makes the Hinterlands look good!

Seeing most of the posts on abilities, I suspect no one plays with activated friendly fire... ?
I turned it off after 60+ hours, it was a bit frustrating: it's impossible to play with a 2H warrior + another melee fighter, as the warrior will always friendly fire the other melee fighter.
Most of mages spells are AoE, so also not a good idea to use them.

I played on hard with it on for about 12 hours on my first playthrough and got wiped out by Solas more than the actual enemies, so no, I wouldn't say it's very well implemented. The AI and tactics menu just isn't versatile enough to work and still be fun with FF on. In my opinion the game just isn't very fun when played 99% of the time from the tactical camera, which would pretty much be a requirement with FF on higher difficulties.

KePoW

Banned
I played on hard with it on for about 12 hours on my first playthrough and got wiped out by Solas more than the actual enemies, so no, I wouldn't say it's very well implemented. The AI and tactics menu just isn't versatile enough to work and still be fun with FF on. In my opinion the game just isn't very fun when played 99% of the time from the tactical camera, which would pretty much be a requirement with FF on higher difficulties.

There's a reason why it defaults to off. The game is clearly not meant to be played with it

I began playing with friendly fire, but it's simply no fun. You're essentially fighting against party members instead of the enemies. Since the battles are basically all about guard/shield & potion management to begin with, friendly fire makes combat a great deal more frustrating. Any mage or two-handed warrior will cause mass party-side destruction by simply doing anything in battle, resulting in effortless, straightforward battles that leave your party's healing resources strained. The bottom line is that friendly fire makes the shallow combat even more of a bummer than it already is.

The problem with FF is that it's impossible to coordinate your party's movements with enough precision to avoid friendly fire. There's no action queue, an extremely limited tactical overview, and very rudimentry party commands, all of which lead to your party members relying on their primitive AI to engage enemies. The AI is, unfortunately, completely unaware of what friendly fire (or AOE attacks in general) are capable of, resulting in a lot of highly unnecessary party-side damage.

DAI seems like a pandora's box of potential... one that Bioware is oddly reluctant to unleash. It would've been great if they'd done a bit more than merely scratching the surface.

I cant get the poetry book from the dwarf in the Hinterlands :(. He just keep saying he doesn't like the surface. Never promotes me a dialogue to get the book.

In case there's a misunderstanding: he doesn't actually
have the book,
you know. It's
located in the Hinterlands somewhere.

JeffG

I cant get the poetry book from the dwarf in the Hinterlands :(. He just keep saying he doesn't like the surface. Never promotes me a dialogue to get the book.
Have you looked at your journal?
Have tried to get the flowers or candles yet?

huxley00

I took everyone's advice and left the Hinterlands, except that I ended up in The Forbidden Oasis. What a drab, boring, uninteresting area that is basically one big jumping puzzle. It makes the Hinterlands look good!

I spent about 5 minutes total in that area, I could tell it was just going to make me mad. That and Hissing Wastes have gotten almost zero of my play time.

Ralemont

not me
I spent about 5 minutes total in that area, I could tell it was just going to make me mad. That and Hissing Wastes have gotten almost zero of my play time.

In future playthroughs I am skipping shards entirely (which precludes a reason to go to the Oasis) and beelining right for my class's T3 schematics in Hissing Wastes and that's it. About 10 hours of fat cut off right there.

Ralemont

not me
How's the game doing, sales wise?

Couple new posts by BioWare today:

Hey guys, I think the old NPD chart / sales thread is pretty old now so I'll just leave this here.

I just got access to November NPD data and amusingly it lists DAI as # 10 (because it groups the two Pokémon games together). So a lot of doom and gloom and "DAI bombed" rhetoric could have been avoided (frankly I consider 3DS games so different from us I don't see them as chart competitors but so be it).

Also (I can't give numbers) the delta between most of the games on the chart is *really* small. Then you factor in the date the game was released (example: Unity had an extra week of sales), price promotions and sales for Black Friday (DAI did not go on sale) and we sold very, very well! I wish the whole story had been told when the chart was published.

I have no doubt DAI will outsell Origins lifetime. I'm posting this to reassure people who "worry about BioWare/DA's future". Worry not.

Poster: 'Selling better than previous games' is wonderful news, however, and simple to understand :D .

BW: Also "exceeding expectations" :)

So all in all very encouraging news.

BlazeVoi

Banned
Couple new posts by BioWare today:

Poster: 'Selling better than previous games' is wonderful news, however, and simple to understand :D .

BW: Also "exceeding expectations" :)

So all in all very encouraging news.

That was the same thing Capcom said about Dragon's Dogma...

huxley00

In future playthroughs I am skipping shards entirely (which precludes a reason to go to the Oasis) and beelining right for my class's T3 schematics in Hissing Wastes and that's it. About 10 hours of fat cut off right there.

I started a completionist Nightmare run and I'm still going to skip the shards and the constellation devices, ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm worried this game might be TOO long for me to consider replaying it as much as I usually like to with Bioware games.

Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 1+2 I played through probably 6-7 times EACH (only played DA2 once since I hated it, and only played ME3 twice+DLC since I loved the gameplay but needed time to get over the shitty ending). Different characters, different classes, different Origins, different difficulties, different systems (had them on 360 then moved to PC), different sexes, and different choices. And each of those times I tended to 100% the games (or as close as possible) most of the time. Truth be told, I was in college at the time and had way more free time than I currently have, but those games I could still play through in 20-30 hours depending on how I played.

But this game just seems to go on forever. The open-world style areas are often huge and take forever to traverse and the missions you do are all pretty fetch-questy and are extremely numerous. The war table missions were cool at first, but got annoying over time; you really need a way of accepting them and starting new ones from within an area (sending a crow/pigeon with a message or something) and I don't know why they limited it to just having the 3 main people to do most of the stuff.

Maybe if I just focus on the main mission(s) of the open-world areas and just do the main story missions I might be able to plow through the game a lot faster, but where I currently am in the game I can't say whether or not skipping the seemingly less important stuff could bite me later on. Looking online I apparently only have 2 more main story missions to do, so I might be able to finish this playthrough at 60 hours having done most if not all of the side stuff.

Top Bottom