• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

tcrunch

Maybe if I just focus on the main mission(s) of the open-world areas and just do the main story missions I might be able to plow through the game a lot faster, but where I currently am in the game I can't say whether or not skipping the seemingly less important stuff could bite me later on. Looking online I apparently only have 2 more main story missions to do, so I might be able to finish this playthrough at 60 hours having done most if not all of the side stuff.

I've been carefully tracking my power and xp/level gains from quests this playthrough in an effort to make a written record of the most minimalist playthrough possible. I hope to post it when I am done, to assist other people who want to play a bajillion times with a lower playtime for each go or people who just want to keep it to the most interesting non-main quests. I am doing this on Nightmare so it should be feasible at any difficulty.

huxley00

I'm worried this game might be TOO long for me to consider replaying it as much as I usually like to with Bioware games.

Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 1+2 I played through probably 6-7 times EACH (only played DA2 once since I hated it, and only played ME3 twice+DLC since I loved the gameplay but needed time to get over the shitty ending). Different characters, different classes, different Origins, different difficulties, different systems (had them on 360 then moved to PC), different sexes, and different choices. And each of those times I tended to 100% the games (or as close as possible) most of the time. Truth be told, I was in college at the time and had way more free time than I currently have, but those games I could still play through in 20-30 hours depending on how I played.

But this game just seems to go on forever. The open-world style areas are often huge and take forever to traverse and the missions you do are all pretty fetch-questy and are extremely numerous. The war table missions were cool at first, but got annoying over time; you really need a way of accepting them and starting new ones from within an area (sending a crow/pigeon with a message or something) and I don't know why they limited it to just having the 3 main people to do most of the stuff.

Maybe if I just focus on the main mission(s) of the open-world areas and just do the main story missions I might be able to plow through the game a lot faster, but where I currently am in the game I can't say whether or not skipping the seemingly less important stuff could bite me later on. Looking online I apparently only have 2 more main story missions to do, so I might be able to finish this playthrough at 60 hours having done most if not all of the side stuff.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'd be surprised how fast you can go through a zone you've been through before. You know what quests are around, what level you can handle in most of the areas and what is important. I'm on my second run now and moving at much faster pace on a higher difficulty.

abundant

Little bit underwhelming, IMO. Still, more variety is always welcome, and free is free.

Anybody know if they tweaked the Demon Commander?

Nope. Just got done with a game where we steamrolled through everything, then the Demon Commander takes out 3 players with one shot and when the fourth player came to revive us, it took him out in one shot.

I've been carefully tracking my power and xp/level gains from quests this playthrough in an effort to make a written record of the most minimalist playthrough possible. I hope to post it when I am done, to assist other people who want to play a bajillion times with a lower playtime for each go or people who just want to keep it to the most interesting non-main quests. I am doing this on Nightmare so it should be feasible at any difficulty.

Excellent! That would be very useful for future playthroughs.

UberLevi

I've been loving this game so far, but after 50 hours I'm starting to get a little burnt out on all the side quests because it's the only thing I've been playing for the past week. Would you guys recommend I head over to multiplayer for a change of pace?

So, my save file has 172 hours on it (actual playtime is maybe around 160 hours), and I've finished every sidequest. Currently all I have available are two war table missions and one story mission, the one that gives the point-of-no-return warning (
Doom Upon All the World
).

While I am starting to feel a touch of burn out, after I finish the story only one trophy, the nightmare mode one, will be between me and a platinum. Gotta get that.

So... for nightmare mode, which would be better: two-handed warrior, archer rogue, or dagger rogue?

Ralemont

not me
So, my save file has 172 hours on it (actual playtime is maybe around 160 hours), and I've finished every sidequest. Currently all I have available are two war table missions and one story mission, the one that gives the point-of-no-return warning (
Doom Upon All the World
).

While I am starting to feel a touch of burn out, after I finish the story only one trophy, the nightmare mode one, will be between me and a platinum. Gotta get that.

So... for nightmare mode, which would be better: two-handed warrior, archer rogue, or dagger rogue?

Considering there are videos of Assassin dagger rogues soloing dragons on Nightmare I'd say that.

so how are you guys liking the game, good enough to make your GOTY ballots? ;)

#1 and it's not really close.

Xeteh

Doom Upon All the World
).

Dagger Rogues start off a lot slower than Archer. Archery is strong throughout the game, Daggers have the potential to be super strong but not until much later. My vote goes for Archery.

npa189

Feeling a bit lost, I went though the hinterlands, got horses and now I've moved onto the storm coast. I feel like I'm barely leveling even tough I've done a ton of quests. None of them are advancing the story or my character, is this just how the game is?

Xeteh

Feeling a bit lost, I went though the hinterlands, got horses and now I've moved onto the storm coast. I feel like I'm barely leveling even tough I've done a ton of quests. None of them are advancing the story or my character, is this just how the game is?

The first big story quest is going to Val Royeux. It has you in Hinterlands to get 4 Power so you can unlock VR through the war table. The game does a poor job explaining things like that but all the big story quests will have rifts above icons on the war table.

npa189

The first big story quest is going to Val Royeux. It has you in Hinterlands to get 4 Power so you can unlock VR through the war table. The game does a poor job explaining things like that but all the big story quests will have rifts above icons on the war table.

Thank you, I'm just running around on the storm coast. Hopefully it gets better.

Considering there are videos of Assassin dagger rogues soloing dragons on Nightmare I'd say that.

Dagger Rogues start off a lot slower than Archer. Archery is strong throughout the game, Daggers have the potential to be super strong but not until much later. My vote goes for Archery.

hm, then I might start out archery and then respec for daggers before locking in my specialization. Either way, rogue it is! Thanks!

ive been trying to go through the keep to set up a story for myself. I do not feel this is beginner friendly at all for someone that knows nothing about the series. Am I missing out on much if I just go into the game in the default world without transferring a save over? Thinking about picking it up while its on sale

KePoW

Banned
ive been trying to go through the keep to set up a story for myself. I do not feel this is beginner friendly at all for someone that knows nothing about the series. Am I missing out on much if I just go into the game in the default world without transferring a save over? Thinking about picking it up while its on sale

If you've never played either of the first two games I wouldn't bother with the Keep

Dresden

What happened?

Bad villain gets even worse, dumb reveals follow afterward. It's like a rapidly escalating succession of stupidities, and the later zones are all worse than the ones that came before. And dragons were too monotonous to feel like anything other than MMO elite mobs.

Ploid 3.0

Love the new areas in MP. Very nice, and the beasts is a nice addition.

Edit: wow, in one of the new spots I was able to pull the whole zone from the start. Niiiiice.

You'll be fine with a default world state. Once you know the characters and history of the setting, then consider reading up on the plot of the previous games and making a custom world state.

The world states are nothing gamechanging, but they're really nice to see in action if you've set that history up yourself.

Bad villain gets even worse, dumb reveals follow afterward. It's like a rapidly escalating succession of stupidities, and the later zones are all worse than the ones that came before. And dragons were too monotonous to feel like anything other than MMO elite mobs.
This is a nice, succinct post of DAI's problems.

If you've never played either of the first two games I wouldn't bother with the Keep

You'll be fine with a default world state. Once you know the characters and history of the setting, then consider reading up on the plot of the previous games and making a custom world state.

The world states are nothing gamechanging, but they're really nice to see in action if you've set that history up yourself.

thanks, I guess I will finally pull the trigger on getting this game.

DedValve

Banned
Walmart is selling this for $40 so after price matching with best buy + gamers club + trading in Lego Batman 3 it came out to $18 :D

I'm on mobile so can't link to Walmart but check it out for those interested.

Ploid 3.0

My favorite dragon fights have been from mmos, I just fear fighting these dragons with the SP's AI team member enimies.

One day I will turn MP loose and get back to SP. Maybe after a really good patch, though that may include mp.

Blarg

Neo Member
I just beat the trebuchet fairly fight easily by saving my potions until the boss showed up, then using my party as bait while I turned the crank.

Varna

Did Bioware seriously butcher the party AI just to make the tactical camera a thing?

Range enemy character do seem to try to get away from people stabbing them in the face... there really is no excuse not to have this feature with the party AI.

I think the combat is pretty good for the most part. But the way they tried to layer Tactical mode is pretty lousy. First of all even on nightmare the game doesn't seem to warrant the feature since it's not that difficulty to begin with. I'm sure the biggest usage for the tactical camera is moving and having rangers hold a position. This is something that could have easily been part of the pause function or better yet an AI option that forces the AI to stay the hell away from meele range enemies.

Concept art for major DA2 character ;__:

Really wish he'd been in DAI - having to choose between
Anders and Hawke
in the Warden mission would have been nice.

Would have been a really easy choice.

I was hoping he'd appear as the leader of Corypheus's mages or something, would have been a good end to a great and subtle villain. As it is I doubt we'll ever get any closure.

Just some thoughts on the game. This game feels like it will NEVER end! I feel so stressed out choosing important actions especially when i had to choose
who to side with when there was that assassination attempt on the queen or Orlais.

But im having fun with the game. I really like the concept of building an army and having constant connections with your party members.

Yeul

Concept art for major DA2 character ;__:

Really wish he'd been in DAI - having to choose between
Anders and Hawke
in the Warden mission would have been nice.

It's pretty rough concept art like...he only has one arm omg. This image is stirring up a lot of crap on tumblr rn for what people don't get is a piece of concept art. Then again that portion of the fandom doesn't surprise me anymore. I wish he had made an appearance in DA:I if we spared him, if only to see what he's been up to. Though if it were between him and Fenris I'd pick more Fenris and his brooding face.

It's pretty rough concept art like...he only has one arm omg. This image is stirring up a lot of crap on tumblr rn for what people don't get is a piece of concept art. Then again that portion of the fandom doesn't surprise me anymore. I wish he had made an appearance in DA:I if we spared him, if only to see what he's been up to. Though if it were between him and Fenris I'd pick more Fenris and his brooding face.

If we ever make it to Tevinter or Par Vollen in the future, I'd expect a Fenris appearance. Dude wasn't a bad character, could even be pretty funny at points.

Neoweee

Did Bioware seriously butcher the party AI just to make the tactical camera a thing?

Range enemy character do seem to try to get away from people stabbing them in the face... there really is no excuse not to have this feature with the party AI.

I think the combat is pretty good for the most part. But the way they tried to layer Tactical mode is pretty lousy. First of all even on nightmare the game doesn't seem to warrant the feature since it's not that difficulty to begin with. I'm sure the biggest usage for the tactical camera is moving and having rangers hold a position. This is something that could have easily been part of the pause function or better yet an AI option that forces the AI to stay the hell away from meele range enemies.

Give them the skills that dump aggro or let them evade/escape. They tend to be pretty smart about using it when they have to.

And your tank is failing if enemies are frequently sticking on your range characters. No amount of running will help it when a melee enemy has aggro on your casters.

UberLevi

Just finished up Here Lies The Abyss:
I chose to leave behind Hawke. I had Varric on the team and Hawke told me to tell him goodbye, so that was odd. Varric also asked where Hawke was when we left the Fade as if he didn't already know.

Also hot damn, that voice acting for
the Nightmare
blew me away.

Just finished up Here Lies The Abyss:
I chose to leave behind Hawke. I had Varric on the team and Hawke told me to tell him goodbye, so that was odd. Varric also asked where Hawke was when we left the Fade as if he didn't already know.

Also hot damn, that voice acting for
the Nightmare
blew me away.

Varric and the others went on ahead.

Top Bottom