• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished the game at around 65 hours. That's the longest I've spent on a game in.. a decade? Though I would've preferred if it was shorter. The filler and level/power gating severely hindered my enjoyment. I think it's a solid seven. Production values were through the roof. I was satisfied with the ending, though the story was once again teen novel stuff and without the philosophical questions that elevated Mass Effect. In the end I didn't romance anyone sadly, feels like it was bugged, because I was in a relationship with Sera but her final quest never triggered.

spekkeh

Banned
You can turn it off in the game settings screen, I did that as I don't play MP and it was really annoying me, can't remember the exact bit it's under but have a look and you'll find it.

Man had I known this it would've saved me... hours most likely. I'm so pissed at Bioware they didn't build in a sensible ten second timeout.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Got it yesterday and I've been loving it
Can't quite work out how to do stuff in tactical view yet but the only thing I've encountered that was trouble was some ram thing in some cave that just charged my party to death

Got it yesterday and I've been loving it
Can't quite work out how to do stuff in tactical view yet but the only thing I've encountered that was trouble was some ram thing in some cave that just charged my party to death

I think I know which one you're talking about. You're not supposed to kill that one, that's why he's so tough. :lol

ElFly

Man I like this game but they really hammed it up during one of Iron Bull's missions.

So Iron Bull arranges a Qunari alliance and we have to go protect a Qunari Dreadnought.

We arrive to Storm Coast, and have to fight some Venatoris, and eventually the Dreadnought makes it near to the shore. But oh noes, Iron Bull's chargers are going to be overrun by the enemy if we let the dreadnought get into the shore.

So I have two options. Let the Chargers escape and the dreadnought will be sunk, or l force the chargers to hold their position so the Dreadnought makes it.

All while Iron Bull and my inquisitor are calmly discussing either option from a cliff.

Worst part is that it is never really clear how many people are attacking the Chargers. From what I could see, it was just a thing of my inquisitor dropping down the cliff and assisting them to fight the venatori and all would have been good but alas, it wasn't an option. Eventually three (3!) venatori mages sink the Dreadnought. I can kill 3 mages in a second?! what the hell, man.

Kind of terrible writing for a forced choice when other missions are much better.

Some Nobody

Man I like this game but they really hammed it up during one of Iron Bull's missions.

So Iron Bull arranges a Qunari alliance and we have to go protect a Qunari Dreadnought.

We arrive to Storm Coast, and have to fight some Venatoris, and eventually the Dreadnought makes it near to the shore. But oh noes, Iron Bull's chargers are going to be overrun by the enemy if we let the dreadnought get into the shore.

So I have two options. Let the Chargers escape and the dreadnought will be sunk, or l force the chargers to hold their position so the Dreadnought makes it.

All while Iron Bull and my inquisitor are calmly discussing either option from a cliff.

Worst part is that it is never really clear how many people are attacking the Chargers. From what I could see, it was just a thing of my inquisitor dropping down the cliff and assisting them to fight the venatori and all would have been good but alas, it wasn't an option. Eventually three (3!) venatori mages sink the Dreadnought. I can kill 3 mages in a second?! what the hell, man.

Kind of terrible writing for a forced choice when other missions are much better.

Lol, that's not an example of terrible writing--its an example of poor directing. Should've had a larger armor than just the random six people that popped up.

If anything, the major flaw is that
the mission doesn't give you a reason to choose the Qun. Like, the Inquisition is winning just fine without them, and there's no in-game draw backs to basically telling them to go screw. But you DEFINITELY lose the Chargers, an interesting group working under Iron Bull that add character to Skyhold.
. The mission's problem is that it doesn't have any consequences, and that's a fault of the game, not the writing.

I thought it was a decent mission.

HooYaH

Dear @gaf,

Download status of PS4 DA: I is 29.74GB/44.19GB
I started DA: I PS4 multiple time but the error 'CE-34878' keeps popping out.
I've restarted the PS4 too.

What I should do? Redownload? My internet speed is not that good. Or I should wait for the download to finish?

Had this error. Let it download the whole thing since the most recent patch messes up the Play and Go PS4 functionality. If that doesn't work, d/l the game, but pause the update patch until the full game d/l.

Rizzi

I played the beginning of the game on PS4 and now I want to double dip on PC.
Exactly when should you leave the Hinterlands?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I think I know which one you're talking about. You're not supposed to kill that one, that's why he's so tough. :lol

one that was in a canyon with wolves?
I just thought he was some fat ram, got rekt.

Wow.. That is one awesome greatsword. I wish I had this. Can you share where you got the schematics for it?

I will try to create something like this and call it "Ice" for my character Ned Stark (even though it looks nothing like the "Ice" from GOT).

The greatsword schematic is in a tomb in a canyon in the hissing wastes. The wikia page on the masterwork serrated greatsword schematic has more info. I believe I got the pommel and grip questing in Emprise. The superb frost rune was one of the veil fire revealed ones. I used dragon bone, dragon webbing, silverite, everite and dawnstone. You need fade-touched silverite for the gain 5 guard on hit.

Melchiah

Here's my uber weapon I crafted. Interested to see others.

Lpo26Bo.png

Here are weapons with the highest DPS I've found. The Emprise Du Lion dragons in particular give very good gear.

Beat the game again, this time on nightmare. Was more fun than hard, hard was mostly auto pilot. Knight Enchanter is really good at supporting and clearing barrier/guard, but I think most people were exaggerating when they say it's OP. Reaver and Assassin are better when it comes to doing damage. I enjoyed Emprise Du Lion and Hissing Wastes, not a complete complete run thorugh though, didn't kill the dragons in Emprise Du Lion, probably will save that for a future run through before (and hopefully) Dragon Age 4 comes out. Having done most of the personal quests, I think it's a toss up between Cole and Iron Bull for my favorite party member.

I beat the hardest dragon in Emprise Du Lion with my Knight Enchanter, after the rest of my team had died after two thirds of the fight. So, I'd say it's pretty overpowered. ;)

Here are weapons with the highest DPS I've found. The Emprise Du Lion dragons in particular give very good gear.

I beat the hardest dragon in Emprise Du Lion with my Knight Enchanter, after the rest of my team had died after two thirds of the fight. So, I'd say it's pretty overpowered. ;)

Yeah the lowest level dragon in Emprise leads to the Sulevin blade quest I believe (which is essentially just 4 revenant battles). He's level 19 and I beat him first try playing mostly real-time on my vita (which can be a pain to hit L2/R2 reliably). He also gives a crapload of dragon bone compared to other <lvl 19 dragons.

Bull is using the Sulevin blade now for me too. Next project is to craft a bow for Sera.

Melchiah

Yeah the lowest level dragon in Emprise leads to the Sulevin blade quest I believe (which is essentially just 4 revenant battles). He's level 19 and I beat him first try playing mostly real-time on my vita (which can be a pain to hit L2/R2 reliably). He also gives a crapload of dragon bone compared to other <lvl 19 dragons.

Bull is using the Sulevin blade now for me too. Next project is to craft a bow for Sera.

I think I got the Sulevin blade elsewhere, but I could remember it wrong. I've been using this bow with Sera for a long time, as I haven't found better schematics.

dralla

Blackwall companion quest (?)..

Yoooo damn. I let him stay in the party but will give him to the Grey Wardens after the we're done with him. That was quite a shock when he disappeared and then the reveal. Fuck

People have solo'd dragons on their assassin rogues and I'm sure someone has on their reaver. It's all relative. This game is also pretty easy compared to origins and especially DA2.

I think I got the Sulevin blade elsewhere, but I could remember it wrong. I've been using this bow with Sera for a long time, as I haven't found better schematics.

Sulevin is an elven temple (dungeon) quest, unless there's some other way to get it. I can't remember how exactly it's triggered. I think it's finding notes in the wild in Emprise.

So does no one play multiplayer on PC? Or did no one buy the game? I find it nuts how I can't find people to play with.

The multiplayer lacks the fun factor and staying power that Mass Effect 3's had. I doubt there will be many people playing it long-term unless Bioware completely overhauls how it works.

This is, of course, ignoring the myriad of connection problems you can have while playing DAI multiplayer to begin with.

Edit
The mural in the room that Sola hangs out in gives you a pretty good indication.
That's a great observation!

Ralemont

not me
Like, the Inquisition is winning just fine without them, and there's no in-game draw backs to basically telling them to go screw.

Depends when you do the quest, really. I believe I did it after Skyhold but before the next round of big missions, so dissolving that alliance over the Chargers actually made me feel like a terrible leader who had just risked his organization over sentimentality.

So aside from playing the previous games for a brief few hours, I'm fairly new to Dragon Age.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, even the sidequests seem to take significant amounts of time.

I'm completely new to the lore and story also, so I'm hopeful that it continues to make me feel welcome.

Do people tend to switch between the party characters and play with them at length, or just keep with their main PC?

So aside from playing the previous games for a brief few hours, I'm fairly new to Dragon Age.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, even the sidequests seem to take significant amounts of time.

I'm completely new to the lore and story also, so I'm hopeful that it continues to make me feel welcome.

Do people tend to switch between the party characters and play with them at length, or just keep with their main PC?

I tend to switch to the characters that need more babysitting. Assassins and 2H warriors for example.

huxley00

Blackwall companion quest (?)..

Yoooo damn. I let him stay in the party but will give him to the Grey Wardens after the we're done with him. That was quite a shock when he disappeared and then the reveal. Fuck

Yeah, that was intense.
Its probably the only companion quest I can think of where I was like "damn, this dude really deserves to die".

Arjen

Damn mark of death from the assassin tree does some insane damage when timed well, I was hitting dragons with 11k damage.

Some Nobody

Depends when you do the quest, really. I believe I did it after Skyhold but before the next round of big missions, so dissolving that alliance over the Chargers actually made me feel like a terrible leader who had just risked his organization over sentimentality.

Well, that's in your head, tho. In reality, it doesn't make any missions more difficult.

For me, the Inquisition seems to stand or fall based on the strength of me and my companions, not any actual conversations with other nations.

What Pride Had Wrought question:
Can you judge Calpernia? In my game she killed herself before being taken prisoner. Did I have to choose to spare her?

Some Nobody

Well, that's role-playing for you. I like to inhabit my character's psyche a little more than simply what reactivity allows.

No, that's certainly fair. I was just making the point that since the game didn't seem to have a way to punish me for saving my friends, I chose to save them rather than let them die. A conversation with Varric not long after doing that mission where you can ask if he really believes you're the herald kinda makes my point more plainly. He says that you're either the herald or have extremely poor luck, then goes on to list all the things you've survived or accomplished over the course of the game up to that point.

All of those things occurred pretty much because your Inquisitor is just THAT much of a bad-ass, not because of any ties you had to any governing powers. With that in mind, it also reminded me that I was seen as the hope and savior of these people--how could I keep calling myself that and choose to
side with the Qun and let the Chargers die?

That's what came from my own deliberation and "role playing", but I like that other people could come to a completely different conclusion.

VinFTW

So, whenever PSN comes back online and I can grab the recent patches, I'm gonna give my first playthrough a go (SO damn excited).

Just HAVE to ask:

What's the most OP class so far (w/o question)?

I'm hearing Knight enchanters are amazing, but I love melee (reavers are supposed to be 2nd best).

I just want to play something that feels the most powerful :p

So, whenever PSN comes back online and I can grab the recent patches, I'm gonna give my first playthrough a go (SO damn excited).

Just HAVE to ask:

What's the most OP class so far (w/o question)?

I'm hearing Knight enchanters are amazing, but I love melee (reavers are supposed to be 2nd best).

I just want to play something that feels the most powerful :p

Knight Enchanter and Assassin are shaping up to be the 2 most OP classes. Reaver is pretty squishy, but when it comes together it can work. Defender probably beats it out, though, due to sheer toughness.

VinFTW

Knight Enchanter and Assassin are shaping up to be the 2 most OP classes. Reaver is pretty squishy, but when it comes together it can work. Defender probably beats it out, though, due to sheer toughness.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Think I'm gonna go enchanter or assassin

dralla

Does the + Damage to Living apply to Dragons? They're alive, right? Is there any reason to use a Dragon slaying rune then?

edit. No it doesn't do damage to dragons. Makes sense I guess. Oh well.

ACESmkII

Been playing for the last two days, and I like the way my character turned out, except it looks like he has some extreme lip gloss on under certain lighting conditions. Are you able to edit your character later on in game?

If not, then I may start over and start a warrior class as Cassandra is pretty fun to play as.

Arjen

All ten dragons down, time to move on to playtrough 2 when Psn is back up. Dual wielding rouge was crazy powerful at the end.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Do you need all the agents for anything? I saved ritts and can't find her to recruit now. Varrick was there but I didn't get the dialog option and don't have a previous save.

Been playing for the last two days, and I like the way my character turned out, except it looks like he has some extreme lip gloss on under certain lighting conditions. Are you able to edit your character later on in game?

If not, then I may start over and start a warrior class as Cassandra is pretty fun to play as.

You cannot. In fact, anything short of the far left extreme in the lip reflectiveness slider will make your inquisitor look like he's a spokesperson for Chapstick.

LuuKyK

Oh my god, Iron Bull sucks. I like him as a character, but he is supposed to be the tank and he is always the first to die in battle. Whats his problem? Hell no. Goodbye.

Top Bottom