• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

dralla

Oh my god, Iron Bull sucks. I like him as a character, but he is supposed to be the tank and he is always the first to die in battle. Whats his problem? Hell no. Goodbye.

You have to control him yourself. Or make him a sword and shield build, which sucks since that doesn't work that great with this specialization. I'll take him along on missions I know are going to be easy. Otherwise it's Cass and Blackwall for my warriors

ACESmkII

You cannot. In fact, anything short of the far left extreme in the lip reflectiveness slider will make your inquisitor look like he's a spokesperson for Chapstick.

Thanks, new game it is then. I think I only put in about 15 hours or so with my Rogue, so not that big of a deal.

LuuKyK

You have to control him yourself. Or make him a sword and shield build, which sucks since that doesn't work that great with this specialization. I'll take him along on missions I know are going to be easy. Otherwise it's Cass and Blackwall for my warriors

Thats pretty much what I've done. Blackwall is much better.

2HWs cannot function as tanks really, IMO the only way to use Iron Bull in your party is either make him a S&S warrior (which as mentioned before, doesn't really go well with his specialization) or take him along with another tank.

In my current playthrough I am a mage and I use one tank, Iron Bull and a rogue. I gave him some guard building abilities and I can (mostly) leave him to his own devices as long as he's got good armor. It can be more trouble than it is worth though, my first character was a 2HW himself and I think that is the only way the class is truly viable.

Oh my god, Iron Bull sucks. I like him as a character, but he is supposed to be the tank and he is always the first to die in battle. Whats his problem? Hell no. Goodbye.

2H is not a tank. That's what stick and board is for.

2H is a bruiser/trapper type with a nice kit for crowd control.

EDIT: I think some math says Assassin has more damage output than Tempest, but how can you beat Flask of Fire plus Thousand Cuts for 7 seconds? It's literally THE most broken thing in the game!

Geido

All ten dragons down, time to move on to playtrough 2 when Psn is back up. Dual wielding rouge was crazy powerful at the end.

It sure was! Mark of death, stealth and hidden blades. 10k minimum on the mark of death alone.

I did just about everything in the game and just finished the second act (I think), time to finish this and get ready for another playthrough.

105 hours on the clock. Most of it was fun, but it did get a bit boring at certain points.Some areas are just too big. On the other hand, I've spent something like 10 hours getting the best armor. This game is taking advantage of my completionist OCD behaviour.

Oh and everyone should romance Iron Bull at least once, it's just too funny!

Shit, guess I won't be getting Blackwall or Dorian's quests on this playthrough. I'm right before the final quest with no more opportunities to boost their approval.

Varna

Yeah... that Flask of Lightning is pretty ridiculous. Cooldown just seems way to short for an ability that pretty much instant kill on ordinary enemies (on nightmare).

Is multiplayer any good in this game? I really liked ME3's multiplayer, and my older bro has this on xbone, so I was either going to grab this on xbox to play with him or get it on PC.

Yeah... that Flask of Lightning is pretty ridiculous. Cooldown just seems way to short for an ability that pretty much instant kill on ordinary enemies (on nightmare).

And I think Thousand Cuts and Leaping Shot both proc Fade Touched items that have 10% Hidden Blades.

It's ab-fucking-surd.

Ralemont

not me
Is multiplayer any good in this game? I really liked ME3's multiplayer, and my older bro has this on xbone, so I was either going to grab this on xbox to play with him or get it on PC.

It's not as good as ME3's (because Inqisition's combat isn't as good as ME3's) but I still find it enjoyable.

Yeah... I'm guessing you get the real version of that move and not just some nerfed version correct?

It is a nerfed version, 100% weapons damage instead of 300%, but 5 hits on proc so it's not as gimped as you think.

Either way, flask of fire means no focus consumption and cooldown, which means you can cast Level 3 Thousand Cuts repeatedly for 7 seconds. o_0

Kallor

God I hope we get another patch soon that fixes the Solas companion quest: All new, Faded for Her. Shit bugged out on me and I didn't realize it for 10-15 hours when I returned to finish it.

Varna

It is a nerfed version, 100% weapons damage instead of 300%, but 5 hits on proc so it's not as gimped as you think.

Either way, flask of fire means no focus consumption and cooldown, which means you can cast Level 3 Thousand Cuts repeatedly for 7 seconds. o_0

Yeah. That ridiculous. That Thousand Cuts has to be a bug... Those fade touched items should be only be dealing 25% damage... maybe just drop the proc chance to 5% or something.

I really hate to handicap myself, but I'm going to avoid those items and probably all the focus moves except for the Inquisitor exclusive one.

Xevren

Yeah. That ridiculous. That Thousand Cuts has to be a bug... Those fade touched items should be only be dealing 25% damage... maybe just drop the proc chance to 5% or something.

I really hate to handicap myself, but I'm going to avoid those items and probably all the focus moves except for the Inquisitor exclusive one.

Even with avoiding all those the game has a ton of other options to really make encounters trivial, even on nightmare. It is what it is.

Nether!

Just finished the game this afternoon after playing for about a week.
I really became addicted and it took over my life for a couple days.

I had played the last two Dragon Ages but I guess I either have an awful memory or didn't pay too close attention because I didn't remember hardly anything from them, especially DA2. As a result, the first few hours of the game were such an info dump of characters and lore that I had trouble making sense of what was happening.
Then there was the stuff that I guess were from some official novels about Cole?

I really liked the game, there was a ton of stuff that could have been cut out and it would still have been a huge, epic game.
I never got bored with the quests or story like I did with Skyrim. The characters and world history kept me in it even when I was picking flowers or something godawful like that.

I'm not really interested in doing other playthoughs, I can't sink this amount of time to a game like this for a few years. I don't think I've played a game straight like this since maybe high school.

Spent todays session exploring The Western Approach. This game is just so damn huge. I spent hours and hours in this place and there's still tons left to do.

b5kb.jpg

c5kb.jpg

d5kb.jpg

Demon Ice

Banned
Blackwall is so OP it's not even funny. Basically had him take down the last 25% of a dragon singlehandedly after it wiped the rest of my squad. The dragon even had the ability where it periodically generates full guard for itself but Blackwall's shield bash tore right through that shit like it was nothing. Based on how that went I'm confident that he could 1-man a dragon from full health no problem.

I haven't fought any dragons yet. Now I'm level 14, do they scale up or are the ones in certain regions weaker?

I remember encountering one in the Hinterlands when I was like level 6. Would he probably be reasonably easy to defeat now?

Xeteh

I haven't fought any dragons yet. Now I'm level 14, do they scale up or are the ones in certain regions weaker?

I remember encountering one in the Hinterlands when I was like level 6. Would he probably be reasonably easy to defeat now?

Nah, they don't scale. The one in Hinterlands is level 12. I believe the one in Crestwood is 13? But yeah, they don't scale. Depending on your difficulty and your skill the one in Hinterlands could be a challenging fight.

Nah, they don't scale. The one in Hinterlands is level 12. I believe the one in Crestwood is 13? But yeah, they don't scale. Depending on your difficulty and your skill the one in Hinterlands could be a challenging fight.

Heh, I basically just button mash. Will probably be tough, gonna give it a go tomorrow :)

I am wondering, I just got the game but I haven't been prompted to download any patches. I read somewhere that there have been two patches so far that help the stability of the game.

Does anybody know whether or not the Xbox One automaticly installed them along with the game itself when I first started it up? It seems like the jittery cutscenes are really bad in my version.

cormack12

Gold Member
This game is immense. Question to the old guard of dragon age - do you guys tend to let the A.I. just do their thing? I'm a mage, and have Solas, Varric and Cass as my party. I occassionally switch to Varric to pick a lock - should I be switching in battle too? I'm not doing that much at the moment and some rifts are proving more hefty than I would have thought, downing potions quite a lot.

I'm still early in, just wondering whether this mechanic is needed end game or I can just play as myself in each battle.

Geido

This game is immense. Question to the old guard of dragon age - do you guys tend to let the A.I. just do their thing? I'm a mage, and have Solas, Varric and Cass as my party. I occassionally switch to Varric to pick a lock - should I be switching in battle too? I'm not doing that much at the moment and some rifts are proving more hefty than I would have thought, downing potions quite a lot.

I'm still early in, just wondering whether this mechanic is needed end game or I can just play as myself in each battle.

If you don't play a mage, switching to one to dispel a spawncircle at a rift can be very nice. Two mages makes rifts very easy. I've had rifts where the second spawn only produced one wraith.

Some Nobody

Any other mage players tried an All Mage party? It's surprisingly enjoyable. It's also the only way I ever want to do rifts again. Knock out the first wave and basically just cast dispel on all the new demons in tactical mode before they can pop up. There'll be maybe one more demon to kill and then you can seal the rift. HUGE change from trying to fight off "horde mode" when you deal with them the normal way.

VinFTW

Not sure if I like mage. Gonna end up playing Knight Enchanter. Which tree is the best? Spirit, Storm, Winter, or Fire? Went with fire for first two points.

Also, what's the most OP melee class in the game currently?

Tabby

Not sure if I like mage. Gonna end up playing Knight Enchanter. Which tree is the best? Spirit, Storm, Winter, or Fire? Went with fire for first two points.

Also, what's the most OP melee class in the game currently?

Most OP melee class I want to say is KE if that counts, if not either Dual Dagger Assassin Rogue or Tempest maybe I think. I don't play warriors so I wouldn't know.

As far as speccing KE goes I max the KE tree as soon as I get the chance, 1 point into barrier (Strength of Spirits is a skill I get later on), Conductive Current and Static Charge in the lightning tree, Immolate, Flashpoint and Clean Burn in the fire tree and just Fade Step in the Ice Tree.
Ice and Spirit are the support trees, I think going Fire and Lightning as a KE works well enough.

VinFTW

Most OP melee class I want to say is KE if that counts, if not either Dual Dagger Assassin Rogue or Tempest maybe I think. I don't play warriors so I wouldn't know.

As far as speccing KE goes I max the KE tree as soon as I get the chance, 1 point into barrier (Strength of Spirits is a skill I get later on), Conductive Current and Static Charge in the lightning tree, Immolate, Flashpoint and Clean Burn in the fire tree and just Fade Step in the Ice Tree.
Ice and Spirit are the support trees, I think going Fire and Lightning as a KE works well enough.

Awesome. I'll give this a go.

Thanks for the tips!

Ralemont

not me
This might sound dumb but how do I leave the Hinterlands? I'm level 5 with 15 power but the map only has the Hinterlands and Haven.

You unlock new zones by spending power at the war table.

Tough to recommend letting the AI do its thing when the AI isn't that great. Luckily the tactical camera (usability aside) really does make a big difference in fights. Because you can slowly advance time, manipulate positioning, and use abilities as soon as they are available for all four members, your efficiency goes through the roof.

LNBL

Are we supposed to be able to control our party companions in skyhold? Im trying to trigger the dorian quest in the tavern

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
- 5 Dragons down. God, they need to change the patterns up on these things. Even the Matriarch attack's getting tired.

- I built up Vivienne with Frost attacks and Spirit since she's a Knight Enchanter. Ice Wall has good defensive properties if you know where to plant it. Sadly, her Spirit Blade literally does better than that Axe, that you get from Bonnie, for Iron Bull's Warrior class. Fade step is a must since you can control the direction in Tactical View.

- any good armor tutorials? I don't feel as if I'm getting the right amount of goods from it. Damage is still pretty high for their intake. I'm looking to reduce more at Level 19-20.

Tabby

This game man, so many damn choices. Literally every single main story quest has me making a choice. This quest has like, a choice within another choice.
What did you guys choose in the quest What Pride Had Wrought?

cormack12

Gold Member
This might sound dumb but how do I leave the Hinterlands? I'm level 5 with 15 power but the map only has the Hinterlands and Haven.

As mentioned, go to the war table in Haven, then you can choose to scout new areas by spending power. It will then unlock new areas with new questlines.

Tough to recommend letting the AI do its thing when the AI isn't that great. Luckily the tactical camera (usability aside) really does make a big difference in fights. Because you can slowly advance time, manipulate positioning, and use abilities as soon as they are available for all four members, your efficiency goes through the roof.

Will give this a go later, I'd been neglecting levelling the party members up as well so they seem to be outputting more damage and have upgraded abilities now - doh! I might just find some stray mobs and practise their abilities on them.

Is there a way to see characters' approval ?

Approval rating may be checked at the "Gather Party" screen by observing the cards, or by the interactions with the NPC. Further quick google turns up this:

As your companions begin to approve of your decisions the outside of the tarot card turns from black to white. If you're romancing a NPC and you go on a personal quest, after completion the face of the card will change based on the decisions in the quest.

Playthrough one: dwarf dagger rogue

Playthrough two: Qunari 2h warrior

What should my third be? Still not burnt out. Wanna try nightmare this time.

Top Bottom