• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Varric is the best character in the game. He's the best character modern bioware has ever done.

Solas is pretty cool too so far.

Cassandra is alrite, I can already see the character assassination that will take place. Se'll turn into a sweet loving girl.

Story seems shit so far. I can already predict who is behind this. Combat seems to have not been improved at all from DAII, like they haven't changed a damn thing.

tcrunch

Best you can do is switch them to Defend themselves under Behaviors. It is a bandaid fix but it is better than the default.

I find that when I do this they don't attack anything unless it attacks them first, but telling them to Follow themselves gives ok results in that they don't immediately run up to enemies and they still start attacking when I do. If enemies move toward them they just stand there like idiots though.

Xeteh

I find that when I do this they don't attack anything unless it attacks them first, but telling them to Follow themselves gives ok results in that they don't immediately run up to enemies and they still start attacking when I do. If enemies move toward them they just stand there like idiots though.

I fucked up, I meant follow not defend. Oops, thanks!

Find specific places on the map (there are markers for the camp quests), go there and press X when standing next to this thing that looks like a torch.

I've been searching everywhere in the hinterlands and only found 1 so far. Are they supposed to be rare, or only appear at certain points?

CGwizz

Just finish the game last night, that ending !!!

Where is that thread people talked about the ending, can someone link it to me, i cant find it.

sixghost

Is there any way to bypass the "looking for server" screen when you launch the game for the first time on PS4? It's been stuck there for 5 minutes now.

TheGrue

Is there any way to bypass the "looking for server" screen when you launch the game for the first time on PS4? It's been stuck there for 5 minutes now.
Would like to know as well. I've played before when things wouldn't connect and it would time out. Not today for some reason.

Edit to add I'm obviously not connecting for the first time, but can't get past this to play the darn game.

Here's my uber weapon I crafted. Interested to see others.

Lpo26Bo.png

theapg

Hey guys, I just got DAI for Christmas on ps4, but the networks down. I was able to update and I went through all the keep choices on the website. I just chose randomly, trying to keep everyone alive and be paragon. I only played half of DAO like 4 years ago, so I had no idea who anyone was. My question is should I wait til psn is fixed and use my keep file or should I just start without any of that? I reallllllly want to play haha. Thanks.

Silexx

I've been searching everywhere in the hinterlands and only found 1 so far. Are they supposed to be rare, or only appear at certain points?

They only appear at certain locations. They are indicated on the map by a tent icon. There's about 4 or 5 camps in the Hinterlands.

Hey guys, I just got DAI for Christmas on ps4, but the networks down. I was able to update and I went through all the keep choices on the website. I just chose randomly, trying to keep everyone alive and be paragon. I only played half of DAO like 4 years ago, so I had no idea who anyone was. My question is should I wait til psn is fixed and use my keep file or should I just start without any of that? I reallllllly want to play haha. Thanks.

I honestly think it'll be worth the wait, but if you're not too bothered about your choices in the previous games then go for it.

I would wait. Default world state is not very interesting

leng jai

So question to those who played through the Winter Palace.

Did you like it? I personally loved it, the whole setting, the political intrigue, the backstabbing and so on. It really made me want an entire game centered around it.

Well I've been wanting to make an RPG maker game all about choice and always imagined a large scale game with many locales but what if I made a smaller scale game that instead of focusing on combat, focused on the politics of a medieval society. So your character would go to and host balls, there would be rivalies and such, all of that fun stuff. Maybe even lift the whole Human vs Elf dynamic (though granted cliche) and even have your race make a difference in the stories between who you can romance, alliance with, or even who will approach you. It would also be more free form in that you arrive with nothing and climb to the top in various different ways. Even maybe choose which manor you subscribe to.

Would anyone be interested in something like that? Granted it would be not in anyway as graphically impressive as Dragon Age but still the general idea of the Winter Palace setting would be the same.

That would have been terrible. The idea was and atmosphere alright but the execution was once again spoiled by having to running around pressing L3 incessantly.

Beat the game again, this time on nightmare. Was more fun than hard, hard was mostly auto pilot. Knight Enchanter is really good at supporting and clearing barrier/guard, but I think most people were exaggerating when they say it's OP. Reaver and Assassin are better when it comes to doing damage. I enjoyed Emprise Du Lion and Hissing Wastes, not a complete complete run thorugh though, didn't kill the dragons in Emprise Du Lion, probably will save that for a future run through before (and hopefully) Dragon Age 4 comes out. Having done most of the personal quests, I think it's a toss up between Cole and Iron Bull for my favorite party member.

LOLCats

Banned
I am now convinced that the Xbox One game pause feature is corrupting my saved games in Dragon age it's happened twice now.

fortunately the Xbox cloud saves have saved my ass thank you for that...

First time it allowed me to choose load and select a different save file.

The second, it would just lock up when accessing my saves.

So i had to delete my local saves, all of them, because when i went to manage dragon age game itself, the saved data option wouldnt show up... I allow it to sync from cloud and all is good.

Anyway, im not going to use that feature for DA and confirm it no longer occurs.

Phew close one...

Lol Blackwall is even stronger.

Haven't personally used blackwall or champion specialization, I'd argue that cassandra is the best tank because I've never had her be the first one to die. When not looking at survivability, the templar stuff is very appealing. Long ass aoe stun, a cleanse that does massive damage to barrier + kills demons before they spawn + gets rid of fire and other effects, 2 auras with nice effects, a 15% damage boost and a nice buff if she ever dies. Plus the templar focus ability is one of the best in the game.

Haven't personally used blackwall or champion specialization, I'd argue that cassandra is the best tank because I've never had her be the first one to die. When not looking at survivability, the templar stuff is very appealing. Long ass aoe stun, a cleanse that does massive damage to barrier + kills demons before they spawn + gets rid of fire and other effects, 2 auras with nice effects, a 15% damage boost and a nice buff if she ever dies. Plus the templar focus ability is one of the best in the game.

The Champion tree makes Blackwall essentially invulnerable. Cass provides more utility but if you're talking just managing Aggro and soaking damage, Blackwall is much better.

Comes down to what you want out of your party comp.

Xeteh

The Champion tree makes Blackwall essentially invulnerable. Cass provides more utility but if you're talking just managing Aggro and soaking damage, Blackwall is much better.

To the Death in the Champion tree is bloody amazing too. It is the reason why soloing a dragon as a Champion doesn't take 4 days.

jgwhiteus

Blackwall in my playthroughs pretty much never took damage, but I had a slight preference for Cassandra because of her Focus ability and because her banter was a bit more interesting. Blackwall can also be kind of an ass with his "man of the people" routine.

Honestly, though, on my second playthrough I had a lot of fun switching up teams and never using the same team twice. I completely overlooked Cole my first playthrough, but he became one of my favorites the second time around (even if he did soak up health potions like crazy). I'm glad I took Solas on more story missions, etc.

Oh, and I found Varric a lot more useful once I discovered that Bonny Sims updates her inventory and sells upgraded Bianca parts whenever you hit certain levels - it beats searching loot caches (I don't think I ever found "Bianca Arms IV" in the wild), and means Varric can usually hold his own in battle.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Varric is the best character in the game. He's the best character modern bioware has ever done.

Solas is pretty cool too so far.

Cassandra is alrite, I can already see the character assassination that will take place. Se'll turn into a sweet loving girl.

Story seems shit so far. I can already predict who is behind this. Combat seems to have not been improved at all from DAII, like they haven't changed a damn thing.
Varric annoys me because I feel like he's being pushed on me as being "the cool dude!"

Cassandra's has always been a tsundere.

I don't really like the companions this time around. It seems like you just get them and they're there, but so far I don't really care to know more about them.

I miss companions like Aveline. I thought she was excellent in two, but I guess I still really liked the way the first game handled the companion camp.

As for battling . . . yeah, it feels a lot like two, even more so now that there's a controller. I keep wanting to use KBM but I don't because I'm lazy.

Some Nobody

It's pretty awesome how Cassandra is turning into one of my favorite characters in this game. Every time I talk to her at
Skyhold
, she seems to reveal more depth to her character. At first I thought she was just kind of a jerk
for trying to murder you
at the start of the game, but once you get over that you start to see the situation she's been placed in--isolated because her beliefs are so strong but she's too smart to just follow someone just because they have the position if she knows their actions are wrong. More than that--she starts out as this tough girl and Bioware never actually "changes" that, but Swords and Shield (my favorite quest so far) reveals that she's not inhuman, just driven. "I don't swoon. I just find being swept up by the passion inspiring."

It's weird that I started out romancing Josephine but I'm at the point now where I'd really rather romance Cassandra...but I can't because my Inquisitor is female. Well played, Bioware lol. You've successfully got my Inquisitor into an unrequited romance. XD

BeeDog

Alright, seems I've encountered a glitched trophy. :(

I've gotten the "Invincible" trophy (kill 2500 enemies), but I haven't unlocked the "Demonslayer" trophy (kill 1000 enemies).

Does anyone know what can be done to sort this out?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm thinking of buying this game and have a few questions:

1: How large are the separate areas? Can you get that feeling of being lost or do you always know the limits of that area?

2: Are there dungeons and caves to explore and if so, how many and are these large too?

3: Are there times when you can just take your time to explore or are you constantly fighting at all times? I'd prefer to be able to relax occasionally so that I can take in the sights.

4: Is there a decent amount of enemy types or are they repeated in different areas?

5: Are side quests plentiful and varied?

6: Can you play through the whole game in third person or do you HAVE to use the tactical camera occasionally? If you can, is it compromised or does it feel and look designed for that type of gameplay?

7: Is it better than Skyrim in terms of story, scale, diversity and content?

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
How do I import my keep stuff? Under extras it only gives a blurb about going to the keep site and uploading a file which I've done.

zkorejo

Here's my uber weapon I crafted. Interested to see others.

Wow.. That is one awesome greatsword. I wish I had this. Can you share where you got the schematics for it?

I will try to create something like this and call it "Ice" for my character Ned Stark (even though it looks nothing like the "Ice" from GOT).

Man... Romance spoilers for Cass:

She's not into women? I wasted all of my flirting on her then. I would have gone straight to Ruffles otherwise.

Xeteh

How do I import my keep stuff? Under extras it only gives a blurb about going to the keep site and uploading a file which I've done.

When you choose upload from the keep it gives you a date/time to compare to when you make a new character, so you should know if it uploaded properly.

Man... Romance spoilers for Cass:

She's not into women? I wasted all of my flirting on her then. I would have gone straight to Ruffles otherwise.

Sorry man, Cassandra bats for only one team.
I'm thinking of buying this game and have a few questions:

1: How large are the separate areas? Can you get that feeling of being lost or do you always know the limits of that area?

2: Are there dungeons and caves to explore and if so, how many and are these large too?

3: Are there times when you can just take your time to explore or are you constantly fighting at all times? I'd prefer to be able to relax occasionally so that I can take in the sights.

4: Is there a decent amount of enemy types or are they repeated in different areas?

5: Are side quests plentiful and varied?

6: Can you play through the whole game in third person or do you HAVE to use the tactical camera occasionally? If you can, is it compromised or does it feel and look designed for that type of gameplay?

7: Is it better than Skyrim in terms of story, scale, diversity and content?

1: Some areas are far bigger than others. If you're not staring at your map you could totally get lost but they aren't Skyrim levels of huge.

2: Yeah, there are but they aren't very big. Most are actually pretty small.

3: You totally have tons of time to explore. Some zones are more dense with enemies than others but most allow you plenty of time for sightseeing.

4: Hard to answer. Rift demons aren't super varied. There's a handful of them throughout the game. As far as non-rift enemies they are far more varied but I guess it depends on your definition of "decent amount".

5: Yeah, side quests are plentiful. I don't know if I'd call them varied, though. They're very MMO-ish. Fetch quests, finding NPCs, reaching the end of a cave, etc...

6: You absolutely can play through in 3rd person. As someone who has played through Nightmare a couple times the only time I used the tactical camera was to move ranged units away from enemies. However, you could go through Nightmare without doing that with decent builds as well.

7: I'd say yes. Skyrim's story is pretty garbage, this game has companions that all have their own stories and each zone has a narrative. While they might not be the greatest thing ever they definitely beat Skyrim in that regard.

Hope that helped, if you have any more questions lemme know.

When you choose upload from the keep it gives you a date/time to compare to when you make a new character, so you should know if it uploaded properly.

Sorry man, Cassandra bats for only one team.

Think it's too late to move over to Josephina? I didn't flirt with her the entire game, but I have yet to do her personal missions.

Xeteh

Think it's too late to move over to Josephina? I didn't flirt with her the entire game, but I have yet to do her personal missions.

I honestly can't say for sure. Every playthrough I've done I've had a romance in mind. How far in to the story are you? They gate the romances to the story so if you aren't super far it might be possible but I'm sorry, I can't honestly answer it for you.

I honestly can't say for sure. Every playthrough I've done I've had a romance in mind. How far in to the story are you? They gate the romances to the story so if you aren't super far it might be possible but I'm sorry, I can't honestly answer it for you.

I just did the (quest spoilers)
Hawke quest in the western approach

Not sure how far that is into the game.

Xeteh

I just did the (quest spoilers)
Hawke quest in the western approach

Not sure how far that is into the game.

I'd say you're about halfway. Honestly, give it a shot with Josie. Again, I cay't say for sure but I would expect it to still work out... if not, please don't sue. :(

Korten

Banned
That would have been terrible. The idea was and atmosphere alright but the execution was once again spoiled by having to running around pressing L3 incessantly.

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the idea. In the game I envision there would be no needing to run around pressing L3. It would include some sections where maybe you need to look for something, but typically it would be short. Most of it would be spent actually talking and interacting with the people. Plus the game wouldn't just take place at parties and such. Much more to it than that.

Bowl0l

Dear @gaf,

Download status of PS4 DA: I is 29.74GB/44.19GB
I started DA: I PS4 multiple time but the error 'CE-34878' keeps popping out.
I've restarted the PS4 too.

What I should do? Redownload? My internet speed is not that good. Or I should wait for the download to finish?

You can turn it off in the game settings screen, I did that as I don't play MP and it was really annoying me, can't remember the exact bit it's under but have a look and you'll find it.

Top Bottom