• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

LuuKyK

Chateau Donterre on the Emerald Graves.

Wtf am I supposed to do exactly? I cant find these goddamn keys to the balcony even though I already searched and looted everything and got all thr clues or whatever.

Sos.

Chateau Donterre on the Emerald Graves.

Wtf am I supposed to do exactly? I cant find these goddamn keys to the balcony even though I already searched and looted everything and got all thr clues or whatever.

Sos.

Did you find the illustrations in the house? It'll eventually reveal the key to you.

How am I supposed to fight dragons? I just tried to fight the one in the Hinterlands, it flew around shooting fireballs at me from the sky then just flew away after a couple minutes. It didn't land so I couldn't attack it...

Edit: Nvm, figured out I have to follow/chase it

Zareka

So I'm a little ways into the Hinterlands and while the game is pretty good, I can't say I'm much enjoying playing a warrior. Countering stuff is great fun, but everything is so sloooooow and it's not really clicking with me.

Now, I would start over again as a rogue/mage, but I like the way my character looks just now and have no idea how to recreate him the same way. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to save character data to reuse when creating a new one, is there? Will I have to manually remake him again?

While we're at it, how are the rogue and Mage classes? I'm leaning towards Mage right now but I enjoyed playing a rogue in 2 so I've not completely decided. Is a DPS SnS warrior viable, if I find it too difficult to recreate my character?

Just getting started and falling in love with those eyes.

10848652_10200184252444915_8568690780748802862_o.jpg

So I'm a little ways into the Hinterlands and while the game is pretty good, I can't say I'm much enjoying playing a warrior. Countering stuff is great fun, but everything is so sloooooow and it's not really clicking with me.

Now, I would start over again as a rogue/mage, but I like the way my character looks just now and have no idea how to recreate him the same way. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to save character data to reuse when creating a new one, is there? Will I have to manually remake him again?

While we're at it, how are the rogue and Mage classes? I'm leaning towards Mage right now but I enjoyed playing a rogue in 2 so I've not completely decided. Is a DPS SnS warrior viable, if I find it too difficult to recreate my character?

Warrior classes are not DPS. Their kits just doesn't allow for that function.

Mage has more cc and aoe damage. Rogues are single target.

Got this game on PS4 for Christmas and been playing SO much since. New to the series and games like this in general, but I'm really enjoying it and have already recommended it to some friends.
Couple of beginner questions -
1. I picked an archer but still have access to the daggers skill tree? What's up with that? You can only do one at a time right, so early on I should just focus on my bow/arrow stuff?
2. Is playing as an archer dull? Sometimes I feel weak as hell haha
3. Any general tips in terms of managing gear and weapons with so many people/items?
4. Oh and any easy to understand general archer strategies?

Got this game on PS4 for Christmas and been playing SO much since. New to the series and games like this in general, but I'm really enjoying it and have already recommended it to some friends.
Couple of beginner questions -
1. I picked an archer but still have access to the daggers skill tree? What's up with that? You can only do one at a time right, so early on I should just focus on my bow/arrow stuff?
2. Is playing as an archer dull? Sometimes I feel weak as hell haha
3. Any general tips in terms of managing gear and weapons with so many people/items?
4. Oh and any easy to understand general archer strategies?

1. Rogues have access to two weapon types (either bow or daggers) and you should pick one to specialize in. Or don't, but you can't switch weapons mid fight so one set of abilities will always be closed off should you dabble in both.
2. Archery is pretty bland in the beginning but it gets significantly better late when you have access to higher tiered abilities
3. Inventory UI stinks. Can't do anything about that
4. Pay attention to Aggro, use evade/stealth to always flank enemies. Line em up and use Long Shot. As a rogue your job is to deal damage as fast as possible. Always look for ways to maximize damage on priority targets.

sixghost

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch in this thread, but do the enemies scale along with you in this game? I was having a pretty easy time closing the rifts in the Hinterlands, then all of a sudden the mobs from the rifts jumped to level 12, and it's basically impossible at my current level.

Also, are there any tricks to keep agro off my MC mage? In some fights guys will run past my entire party to attack me.

mcfrank

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch in this thread, but do the enemies scale along with you in this game? I was having a pretty easy time closing the rifts in the Hinterlands, then all of a sudden the mobs from the rifts jumped to level 12, and it's basically impossible at my current level.

Also, are there any tricks to keep agro off my MC mage? In some fights guys will run past my entire party to attack me.

No, they don't scale.

Varna

Been trying to figure the scaling out myself. What it seems like to me is that certain parts of each map have enemies that start at X level and scale with your character. At the same time it seems like certain enemies stop scaling at a certain point... story missions seem to cap the enemies around the recommended level.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

In Dragon Age, mages are the most deadly, so they'll tend to do that. You can use mind blast to get them off you and later, your warriors will get taunts that will minimize them being able to do that quite so often. Mind Blast is your early game option.

LNBL

Excuse me for asking again, but im stuck with the quest in which I should take Dorian to the tavern after receiving the letter. When i go to the tavern nothing happens and neither does any quest marker show up. Any tips?

Excuse me for asking again, but im stuck with the quest in which I should take Dorian to the tavern after receiving the letter. When i go to the tavern nothing happens and neither does any quest marker show up. Any tips?

It's bugged. Make the quest your active quest and then Enter the tavern while controlling Dorian fixed it for me.

Demon Ice

Banned
Are the operation timers at the War Table referring to in game time or real world time? Like if I turn my PS4 off for a couple hours and then go back into the game will the timers have progressed? Or do I need to wait 16 in-game hours for my Inquisition to
contact my Hero of Ferelden
:p

Are the operation timers at the War Table referring to in game time or real world time? Like if I turn my PS4 off for a couple hours and then go back into the game will the timers have progressed? Or do I need to wait 16 in-game hours for my Inquisition to
contact my Hero of Ferelden
:p

It's real time.

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
This game man, so many damn choices. Literally every single main story quest has me making a choice. This quest has like, a choice within another choice.
What did you guys choose in the quest What Pride Had Wrought?

- The only choice that made any sense at the time.
Morrigan keeps the knowledge. Of course, I killed her mom in the first game, so... someone's coming baa-ack. Vivienne disapproves, but knowing Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins, there is definitely a good side to her that won't end up fucking her son/you/the inquisition over.
I'm still sad about my Here Lies The Abyss choice.
Way to pull a Mass Effect hard choice, BioWare. ALENKOOOOOOOOOOO!

Some Nobody

They don't scale, but as i understand it there's a range of levels. Also, if the rifts have jumped that high then it's a good time to follow the direction in the OT. ^^

Tabby

- The only choice that made any sense at the time.
Morrigan keeps the knowledge. Of course, I killed her mom in the first game, so... someone's coming baa-ack. Vivienne disapproves, but knowing Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins, there is definitely a good side to her that won't end up fucking her son/you/the inquisition over.
I'm still sad about my Here Lies The Abyss choice.
Way to pull a Mass Effect hard choice, BioWare. ALENKOOOOOOOOOOO!
Made sense at the time? How so?

I went with me keeping the knowledge, with my Inquisitor using an Elf I felt like it made sense what with her wanting to preserve and keep the knowledge of the ancient elves.

In any case, if something happens in the final mission or epilogue I'll just go back and redo it.

Yo man fuck that choice. I knew killing Loghain in Origins would bite me in the ass later. RIP Hawke.

Jetman

So on PSN, and obviously can't connect to DA servers - if I've already started the game (at Hinterlands lol) and uploaded my save state to Inquisition weeks ago, will this affect my game now? I mean are the servers constantly uploading aspects of the save state to the game as I'm playing? If so, I think I'll hold off until PSN comes back up :(

Tabby

So on PSN, and obviously can't connect to DA servers - if I've already started the game (at Hinterlands lol) and uploaded my save state to Inquisition weeks ago, will this affect my game now? I mean are the servers constantly uploading aspects of the save state to the game as I'm playing? If so, I think I'll hold off until PSN comes back up :(
No it uploads once just before the character select and that's it. It ask you if you want to import that's how you know it works.

What's the best race to play for story purposes and which class is best to play for gameplay purposes?

The game was originally designed around humans being the only playable race, and the writing reflects that. It asks you to care about a lot of human institutions that an elf, dwarf, or qunari wouldn't give a shit about under normal circumstances. The human Chantry is definitely at the center of the storyline - it's inescapable.

General feeling is that playing as a Dalish elf has better story context. As for class, comes down to what you like to do.

For one quest out of the entire game, perhaps. Otherwise it's all human, all the time.

Jetman

No it uploads once just before the character select and that's it. It ask you if you want to import that's how you know it works.

Awesome, thanks. I figured as much, just saw a warning that I can't access multiplayer (duh), can't upload progress (who cares), and then "cannot access Dragon Age Keep to make decisions from DA1and DA2". (Just worried about vagueness on how much it needs to access the Keep for my decisions)

Goddamnit, the envy demon is impossible. Am I screwed? Even on normal he takes out my party in seconds. There is literally nothing I can do. I have Sera, Solas and Blackbeard with me as the tank and shit they're useless. Blackbeard is useless as a tank because the AI sucks, and because tactical camera is useless and he's so damn squishy. Seriously, why everyone in my party useless?

Then you get to his 2nd form and it's OHKO and add spam. Fuck this shit. Is there nboody else having trouble with this boss?

Goddamnit, the envy demon is impossible. Am I screwed? Even on normal he takes out my party in seconds. There is literally nothing I can do. I have Sera, Solas and Blackbeard with me as the tank and shit they're useless. Blackbeard is useless as a tank because the AI sucks, and because tactical camera is useless and he's so damn squishy. Seriously, why everyone in my party useless?

Then you get to his 2nd form and it's OHKO and add spam. Fuck this shit. Is there nboody else having trouble with this boss?

what level/diffculty are you on? I remember tackling this fight with Me (Mage)/Cass/Varric/Solas and it was pretty straight forward.

Make sure to spread your party out to mitigate the envy demon's AOE damage. Micro your rogues a bit to make sure they're stealthing and flanking correctly.

Some Nobody

What's the best race to play for story purposes and which class is best to play for gameplay purposes?

I feel like you get the best reactions as an elf, personally. As far as class? *shrugs* I went Mage 'cause I like blowing shit up. You might like being on the front lines or setting up elaborate traps. I know Knight Enchanter (which you get fairly quickly) allows you to go front line though, plus with the buffs and other crap you can do mage technically gives you greater control over the battle unless you just want to focus on drawing aggro.

Have you tried putting all of Blackwall's guard-building and aggro abilities as "preferred" in the tactics menu?

sixghost

Should I be trying to group my party members up before casting barrier in tough fights? It seems like such a huge waste to just cast it on the tank like the AI controlled healer tends to do, especially when there are certain abilities for my nuker mage that only proc when Barrier is cast on her.

Should I be trying to group my party members up before casting barrier in tough fights? It seems like such a huge waste to just cast it on the tank like the AI controlled healer tends to do, especially when there are certain abilities for my nuker mage that only proc when Barrier is cast on her.

Yes. Usually AI mages cast barrier on characters taking aggro, so if your tank is also the initiator and moves ahead of the pack, the barrier will be centered on him when combat is engaged, and that tends to be inefficient.

KorrZ

Shit. About 50 hours in..on the main mission "What Pride Had Wrought" and I'm starting to feel burnt out from all of the time I spent 100%ing the first few zones (Hinterlands, Fallow Mire, Crestwood, Western Approach).

I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to end up not finishing this game since after this mission I'm going to need to grind out some power.

Some Nobody

Shit. About 50 hours in..on the main mission "What Pride Had Wrought" and I'm starting to feel burnt out from all of the time I spent 100%ing the first few zones (Hinterlands, Fallow Mire, Crestwood, Western Approach).

I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to end up not finishing this game since after this mission I'm going to need to grind out some power.

> 100%ing zones
>> need more power

I'm sorry...w-what? I came as close to 100% those four areas plus the Exalted Plains, and man I don't think this game could make me run out of power if it tried. I haven't unlocked Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts yet but I'm at 139 power. Do the power costs just keep rising after that or what?

Tabby

When should I leave the Hinterlands?

I usually leave at about level 6 or 7 and then just do the next few story quests in quick succession. That for me usually leaves the Hinterlands mostly finished (Including the level 12 rifts, I never have a problem with those) save for a few quests that unlock later on.

But I mean whenever you feel like.

KorrZ

> 100%ing zones
>> need more power

I'm sorry...w-what? I came as close to 100% those four areas plus the Exalted Plains, and man I don't think this game could make me run out of power if it tried. I haven't unlocked Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts yet but I'm at 139 power. Do the power costs just keep rising after that or what?

The one I'm on now costs 40 power, I have more than that but if the missions continue on that path I will definitely run out before the end.

The one I'm on now costs 40 power, I have more than that but if the missions continue on that path I will definitely run out before the end.

You're pretty much through the grindy areas (exalted plains remains). Every other region (Emerald Graves, Storm Coast, Hissing Wastes, and Emprise) is pretty staight forward with really good progression. Plus you probably only need to clear one more to get to end of the game. rest are optional

Has anyone else run into a problem where the game won't start? I have the digital deluxe version. I get an error every time I try to open the game. I tried deleting it and downloading it again but that didnt work.

Any ideas?

Nvm figured it out. Add on content from the deluxe version seemed to make it crash. Downloading it without any add on content and it works.

(PS4) why does this game have to connect to the servers if I'm playing a single player only? I'm not sure if it's due to the PSN issues or my very slow home internet, but the game stays stuck in the connecting to DA servers screen and I can play.

Any known fixes?

Why does my character suck so fucking much? jesus christ it's stupid as fuck how fast I die. I'm a fucking 2H qun warrior I shouldn't be dieing stupidly fast. Even with +100 HP shit on I'm the first to die. My tank and the rest ofmy party out damage and out last me every fucking time with inferior weapons. I don't get it. Can anyone help me out? What am I doing wrong?

Why does my character suck so fucking much? jesus christ it's stupid as fuck how fast I die. I'm a fucking 2H qun warrior I shouldn't be dieing stupidly fast. Even with +100 HP shit on I'm the first to die. My tank and the rest ofmy party out damage and out last me every fucking time with inferior weapons. I don't get it. Can anyone help me out? What am I doing wrong?
As a 2h warrior you need to focus on knocking down enemies and hitting them while they're down. Use Charging Bull - a lot. Then use Mighty Blow for the bonus damage against knocked down foes. Take Coup de Grace for even more damage against downed opponents. This basic set up should keep you alive until you get your Specialization.

You're a trapper/bruiser. Not a tank and not a dps either. Charging Bull and Combat Roll are your friend.

Top Bottom